Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Keyboard chat:

I got a new keyboard the other day. Don't have a picture off hand but here's the link:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/30851?mode=guest_open

It's really weird since I'm used to tactile switches and this is linear. Actuation can be changed with a keyboard shortcut too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

non-controversial topic: pinapple pizza is an affront to humanity and is the reason why we are all going to hell

we must pay for our crimes against pizza

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I have a budget of 2 grand, looking for a commuter car in Phoenix. Have a few options so far:

90-94 LS400s
2006+ crown Vics
2000ish CRV's or Isuzu Troopers

All are around 1800-2200. I'm going to look at a 2008 147k mile Crown Vic tomorrow for around 2k. Anything else I should look out for, model or gotcha wise?

E:also looking at a 93 LS400 160k miles to.orrow for $1300. Low price because no AC.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

funny Star Wars parody posted:

non-controversial topic: pinapple pizza is an affront to humanity and is the reason why we are all going to hell

we must pay for our crimes against pizza

I'm going to have pineapple on a pizza today. Because it's loving awesome

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had pine&swine for lunch. If we go to hell for that I'm sorry but it was worth it

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm going to have pineapple on a pizza today. Because it's loving awesome

Same. Within the hour, probably.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I have a budget of 2 grand, looking for a commuter car in Phoenix. Have a few options so far:

90-94 LS400s
2006+ crown Vics
2000ish CRV's or Isuzu Troopers

All are around 1800-2200. I'm going to look at a 2008 147k mile Crown Vic tomorrow for around 2k. Anything else I should look out for, model or gotcha wise?
I have no basis for an opinion on the first two, but for the third, I'd always choose the "real" 4x4 of the Trooper over the pseudo-SUV CRV.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

Speaking of knockoffs.
Lenovo has stopped selling batteries for my thinkpad. Any recommended aftermarket battery brands that won't kill me?

I'm also curious about this because I have a T40 with a nearly-dead battery that I would like to use for activities.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Pizza without pork is not pizza.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Pineapple pizza is a little sweet for me, but I don't get the fuss over it. I'll eat it, but it's not what I'd order

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If I don't like a given pizza, that just means I need more bourbon.

Except fish. gently caress having fish on pizza. That is "Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you?" territory.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

E:also looking at a 93 LS400 160k miles to.orrow for $1300. Low price because no AC.

While the no AC bit sounds especially awful considering Pheonix I will totally support an LS400 buy. As a new old man myself I do recommend a Lexus.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Grilled pineapple is the poo poo. Grilled fruits in general really, as long as it's fleshy and not something that'll pop like grapes or whatever.

I'm still using the stock dome switch Dell keyboard that i've had since 2007 and it does me just fine. The spacebar, WASD and first few number keys are polished smooth.

So the airbag light that was flashing for a couple weeks seems to have gone out. I should just not worry about it and pretend it never happened, right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

If I don't like a given pizza, that just means I need more bourbon.

Except fish. gently caress having fish on pizza. That is "Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you?" territory.

Whhhhhat? Seafood pizzas are like my crack cocaine. Especially sweet chili ones.

Granted tho, I'm a "If it comes from the sea, I'll eat it" person.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I have no basis for an opinion on the first two, but for the third, I'd always choose the "real" 4x4 of the Trooper over the pseudo-SUV CRV.

No argument that the trooper is a much cooler ride...but the CRV is the better commuter vehicle. Far more reliable and better fuel mileage.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm also curious about this because I have a T40 with a nearly-dead battery that I would like to use for activities.

http://microcenter.drbattery.com/

My best guess would be to see if Microcenter sold a replacement. Seems like a better idea than an ebay/amazon special.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm a "If it comes from the sea, I'll eat it" person.
Yes.

On a pizza? NO.

angryrobots posted:

No argument that the trooper is a much cooler ride...but the CRV is the better commuter vehicle. Far more reliable and better fuel mileage.
If you want a Honda commuter, buy a Civic or Accord.

If you want an SUV, buy a real one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

Curious what this means because if it's by numbers or consumer demand or any measurable metric then an 'SUV' is a commuter car for the suburbs that never sees off-road use.
Like hey I think Toyota Landcruisers are rad as hell but I'd certainly get the Lexus GX over a Landcruiser if given the choice .

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Yes.

On a pizza? NO.

If you want a Honda commuter, buy a Civic or Accord.

Ok but the crv was one of the options presented, and commuter vehicle was the use we were given.

Not sure why you're knocking the CRV in any case, it's an economical hatchback.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's why I was thinking the CR-V. Plus, I already know how to do valves and the timing belt (and I have the special tool) because the woman in that relationship I just ended had a 97 CR-V that I did all the maintenance on. So it's familiar, has plenty enough space for car seats and junk, and is fairly fuel efficient for what it is.

This is just for my new 30 mile commute. The bus was okay for 15 miles, but I'm feeling exhausted in rush hour traffic with it twice a day for double the distance.

I've now got a $2000 93 LS400, everything works showing scheduled for tomorrow, the $1300 AC is broken scheduled, and a 2008 Crown Vic scheduled. All for tomorrow morning.

Im leaning towards a CR-V, but sub-$2000 pickings are slim.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

That's why I was thinking the CR-V. Plus, I already know how to do valves and the timing belt (and I have the special tool) because the woman in that relationship I just ended had a 97 CR-V that I did all the maintenance on. So it's familiar, has plenty enough space for car seats and junk, and is fairly fuel efficient for what it is.

This is just for my new 30 mile commute. The bus was okay for 15 miles, but I'm feeling exhausted in rush hour traffic with it twice a day for double the distance.

I've now got a $2000 93 LS400, everything works showing scheduled for tomorrow, the $1300 AC is broken scheduled, and a 2008 Crown Vic scheduled. All for tomorrow morning.

Im leaning towards a CR-V, but sub-$2000 pickings are slim.

Yeah but how many million mile CRVs are there :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

Curious what this means because if it's by numbers or consumer demand or any measurable metric then an 'SUV' is a commuter car for the suburbs that never sees off-road use.
Like hey I think Toyota Landcruisers are rad as hell but I'd certainly get the Lexus GX over a Landcruiser if given the choice .
Short version: "If it doesn't actually work off road, it can get hosed."

I'm not responsible for what X-thousand muppets buy. Any manufacturer presenting me with something 4x4/4WD/AWD had better actually mean it.

angryrobots posted:

Ok but the crv was one of the options presented, and commuter vehicle was the use we were given.

Not sure why you're knocking the CRV in any case, it's an economical hatchback.
If you want an economical hatchback, you don't need 4WD. If you want 4WD, "economic" is very secondary.

If someone tries to sell you an "economic 4WD hatchback", they're either lying and it won't do what you want, or it will do what you want, and your priorities are stupid/delusional.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

InitialDave posted:

If you want an economical hatchback, you don't need 4WD. If you want 4WD, "economic" is very secondary.

If someone tries to sell you an "economic 4WD hatchback", they're either lying and it won't do what you want, or it will do what you want, and your priorities are stupid/delusional.

They made FWD CR-Vs too :ssh:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

On occasion I like me a grilled chicken, pepper, spinach, onion, and pineapple pizza. With heavy marinara sauce and cheese.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
What about alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce?

Some place in the States does that, I can't remember where though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dagen H posted:

They made FWD CR-Vs too :ssh:
I know.

They're poo poo too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I know.

They're poo poo too.

Good good.

Let the hate flow through you

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

angryrobots posted:

Let the hate flow through you
You'd better believe it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Im leaning towards a LEXUS, but sub-$2000 pickings are slim.

LS400 is a beast. Find one. Do it. The only thing to watch for is timing belt. It's not hard, but it takes some concentration. Easy 1 day job, though.

(also, the starter, but that's more of a fear factor than an actually common repair)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

LS400 is a beast. Find one. Do it. The only thing to watch for is timing belt. It's not hard, but it takes some concentration. Easy 1 day job, though.

(also, the starter, but that's more of a fear factor than an actually common repair)

The starter isn't even that bad, and in my experience gave plenty of advance warning so I had a rebuilt Denso on hand before it failed.

The intake isn't hard to pull, easier than a SBC.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Considering all of MGS's accomplishments, not limited to owning multiple ACVWs, and being brave enough to walk away from a toxic relationship. A 1UZ starter should be a walk in the valley for him.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Really torn between the 2008 crown Vic and either of the Lexuses. Should start a poll

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Logical answer is make sure you buy a manual. Worst case, you can bump it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just smash those idiots with a cricket bat until they get the idea that maybe, just maybe, Universal Healthcare isnt communist but an actual thing a proper First World country does?

We'll get universal healthcare soon enough. Right now the lower middle class and middle class hate the idea because it means lazy poors will get coverage for free/cheaper than them, but as the middle class continues to get destroyed more and more people will move into the poors category and then we'll get universal healthcare and/or full on class war.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ilkhan posted:

I like sac. We have Tahoe, Reno, and SF within easy driving distance, not much we don't have access to. Now if only we had sane politics...

The bad thing about Sac vs Reno is CA taxes vs NV taxes. And probably traffic. And worse weather (depending on your preference for hotter summers meaning warming winters, which personally I'll take the cooler summers and the colder winters).

But Sac is also a real city whereas Reno is Reno.

My sis lives in the Bay Area and I love the place but dislike paying 800,000 dollars for a share croppers shack and not being able to own a nice car because people are just going to run into it constantly and drive off.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Really torn between the 2008 crown Vic and either of the Lexuses. Should start a poll

Chances are the Lexuses are going to drive and ride better than the Vic. You'll see tomorrow~

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

scrubs season six posted:

We'll get universal healthcare soon enough. Right now the lower middle class and middle class hate the idea because it means lazy poors will get coverage for free/cheaper than them, but as the middle class continues to get destroyed more and more people will move into the poors category and then we'll get universal healthcare and/or full on class war.

lol if you think the upcoming class war will result in solidarity between working and poor classes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
US public expenditure on healthcare per capita is higher than the UK's, even if you take into account our private expenditure. Add in the US private expenditure (which effectively doubles the numbers involved) and it's just a joke.

I'd have little prolem with the "saving people the cost of subsidising X" argument if it wasn't evidently bollocks.

The only countries to exceed US per-capita public healthcare expenditure are the "It's cold, and frankly I've got nothing better to do than hit myself with a birch in a sauna" bits of Europe.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

lol if you think the upcoming class war will result in solidarity between working and poor classes.

It won't be solidarity, it'll just be literally everyone below the upper middle class being effectively poor. The working poor will still hate the non working poor.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is there an AI thread that is effectively "generic truck" or "generic 4x4" talk"?

• Locked thread