Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

shut up blegum posted:

Hitman season 1 is 50% off. Is it worth it? I liked the last Hitman game, don't remember the name of it at the moment. But I haven't heard much about this game, or the different episodes.

without too many spoilers, in one mission i tried to get a guy to go outside and flip a circuit breaker back on so i could steal his clothes, but somehow this resulted in him electrocuting my target to death for me.

i love hitman season one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

rabidsquid posted:

without too many spoilers, in one mission i tried to get a guy to go outside and flip a circuit breaker back on so i could steal his clothes, but somehow this resulted in him electrocuting my target to death for me.

i love hitman season one

Was that the general in the ICA facility killing the chessmaster?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lobok posted:

Was that the general in the ICA facility killing the chessmaster?

yeah, i had literally no idea how i was going to accomplish that and did it completely by accident trying to get his outfit for the "wear all the outfits" achievement

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

precision posted:

Goddamn it I missed ONE NOTE in the song in Night in the Woods. There's probably a trophy for perfect FC'ing it isn't there? :mad:

You're safe, there's just one for getting a good result on all the songs and another for failing horribly at all of them.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've never really dove into Hitman, but is it kind of similar to MGSV, in that the mechanics kind of let you improvise, or is it more scripted?

Like, is it more 'figure out how to start one of five heavily prescripted Rube Goldberg machines that will lead to a guy dying' or can I gently caress around and through a series of lures and mishaps leave a pile of a dozen guards in various states of death/surrender/unconsciousness and jammed into a random closet before I just walk in and shoot the target? Because if its just Ground Zeroes with more maps and disguises as well as sneaking then I am sold, but I may be hoping its something that it's not.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wolfsheim posted:

I've never really dove into Hitman, but is it kind of similar to MGSV, in that the mechanics kind of let you improvise, or is it more scripted?

Like, is it more 'figure out how to start one of five heavily prescripted Rube Goldberg machines that will lead to a guy dying' or can I gently caress around and through a series of lures and mishaps leave a pile of a dozen guards in various states of death/surrender/unconsciousness and jammed into a random closet before I just walk in and shoot the target? Because if its just Ground Zeroes with more maps and disguises as well as sneaking then I am sold, but I may be hoping its something that it's not.

its definitely not ground zeroes level of improvisation, and dudes tend to follow routines that you can expect, but it's also not like "trigger the script to advance the puzzle" either. more vagueish spoilers but in another mission on another hunt to try and steal somebodies outfit in order to do an achievement i ended up accidentally choking him out in a one person bathroom with three people in it. then i hosed up trying to set up a kill on the target and blew him up with an explosive device and ran away.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ripley posted:

You're safe, there's just one for getting a good result on all the songs and another for failing horribly at all of them.

Yeah knowing this game that makes much more sense. Can't wait to do a second playthrough and fail horribly at everything. THIS GAME RULZ OK

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Its the latter. People do have scripted routes they walk with cool designed hazards along the way to kill them with, but you can always just shoot them in the face, or sneak up behind someone and poke them with a syringe, or pull a fire alarm and then detonate the explosives you put next to the exit when they run past.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm going to admit my error underestimating Disc Jam, the thing is drat fun (even better in doubles!). Need to play a bit the other free games but this one is well worth it.

I finally picked up Broforce and runs well enough and being couch co-op capable is a plus. DA:I, Duke3d, Metal Slug, MSGV:GZ and some other stuff was enough to get over 50€.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, the "puzzle" aspects come from the fact that the world runs like clockwork so you can scout out routes and then take advantage of them, but the game is very reactive and you can put things together in ways that aren't accounted for by the in-game challenges/opportunities and still have it work

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I only played the first mission (Paris, I think?)

There's a challenge to kill both targets at once by shoving one off a second story balcony so they fall on the other target and both die.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Is basically everything available on the playstore?
Can i just buy helldivers off the store?

Also where do you find the free games? I want to try disc jam

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is basically everything available on the playstore?
Can i just buy helldivers off the store?

Also where do you find the free games? I want to try disc jam

Yes,

I do it through the web store at games>ps+>freegames

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Xaris posted:

So what I'm looking up gathering/getting is then:
-Bloodborne GOTY
-Horizon
-Uncharted 4
-Nioh
-Ratchet & Clank
-Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 preorder
-Crash Bandicoot Trilogy preorder [long live nostalgia feels]

Anything else worth getting? What exclusive are worth keeping a eye on this year?
I would add:
Yakuza 0 (It's a prequel so a perfect place to jump into the series) and the forthcoming remake of part 1
The Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted Collection (I'm not a huge fan but it's almost a part of Playstation history at this point)
Odin Sphere
Resogun
Dragon Quest Builders
The Last Guardian
Tearaway Unfolded (Free on Plus this month!)
Gravity Rush Remastered + Gravity Rush 2
God of War III Remastered
Disgaea 5

Games that are on Steam but you may enjoy on PS4 anyway:
Spelunky
Enter the Gungeon
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Resident Evil Remaster
Resident Evil 4 Remaster
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (not sure how this compares to the Steam version actually)
Nier Automata (Unclear if the upcoming PC port will be good or not)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

odin sphere is epic

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Real hurthling! posted:

odin sphere is epic

Odin Sphere on PS3/4/Vita is loving majestic

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Feenix posted:

I know No Man's Sky is pretty much a punching bag of a game (and deservedly so, in my opinion) but the new update coming soon sounds like steps towards making it a lot more fun (or at least worth launching again if you have a Pro.

http://no-mans-sky.com/pathfinder-update/

Oh wow. They are to their credit putting their money where their mouth is and improving the game. Now imagine if the game had launched with this stuff.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Disc Jam seems like a cool game but man is their initial release bare bones and I don't give a fuuuck about unlocking their lame titles, poses, and taunts.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Disc Jam feels and looks like a poor man's Rocket League.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Disc Jam is insanely good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

...Warmup for the real windjammers later

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't know about insanely good but I quite like it. I've always enjoyed Windjammers in the arcade and MAME and Disc Jam is exactly Windjammers but in third-person. Turns out that makes it better because the new perspective makes it more tense somehow. The only thing Windjammers has over it is the ability to play local vs multiplayer without having to split the screen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feenix posted:

I know No Man's Sky is pretty much a punching bag of a game (and deservedly so, in my opinion) but the new update coming soon sounds like steps towards making it a lot more fun (or at least worth launching again if you have a Pro.

http://no-mans-sky.com/pathfinder-update/

I can respect that they ares still plugging away at it, but every time they update it they seem to be going further in the wrong direction for me at least. I never wanted bases or moon races. I wanted fun combat and emergent gameplay. I wanted cool looking huge animals that weren't completely brain dead. And most of all I wanted fun space combat. I haven't touched it since launch but none of those things seem high on their priority list.

The problem with NMS was never a lack of stuff for me. It was that all of the stuff in it sucked.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey, that Nier demo was pretty damned legit. Another one to add to the list, I guess.

This list is... uh... getting kinda long here.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Imagined posted:

I don't know about insanely good but I quite like it. I've always enjoyed Windjammers in the arcade and MAME and Disc Jam is exactly Windjammers but in third-person. Turns out that makes it better because the new perspective makes it more tense somehow. The only thing Windjammers has over it is the ability to play local vs multiplayer without having to split the screen.

I like WindJammers' visual style more also but yeah pretty much.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the only things Rocket League really has on Disc Jam are

(a) better matchmaking (though whether that's population or netcode I have no idea, and I assume that unlike Rocket League, Disc Jam isn't cross platform)
(b) the rate/variety of unlocks
(c) the variety of maps

but (b) and (c) are both fixable since they're working on new content and Rocket League has had a long time to build stuff up

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I can respect that they ares still plugging away at it, but every time they update it they seem to be going further in the wrong direction for me at least. I never wanted bases or moon races. I wanted fun combat and emergent gameplay. I wanted cool looking huge animals that weren't completely brain dead. And most of all I wanted fun space combat. I haven't touched it since launch but none of those things seem high on their priority list.

The problem with NMS was never a lack of stuff for me. It was that all of the stuff in it sucked.

Yeah but AI and fun combat and emergent gameplay is hard. Making bases is just adding more assets.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fix posted:

Hey, that Nier demo was pretty damned legit. Another one to add to the list, I guess.

This list is... uh... getting kinda long here.

You know what you gotta do? Go play games so you can free up time to play even more games.

You'll be done with that list... One day....

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Every stream I've watched of Nier is walking around a town. There is a robot Sartre here. I hate existentialism. I don't get the praise for the game

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pegnose Pete posted:

I would add:
Thanks for the list. I've already played Uncharted 1-3 for PS3 way back when and didn't like Last of Us then, but some of the others seem interesting. I'll save the list for once I finish off the main ones I really want to play and check out the rest. Definitely want to get Yazuka 0. I have indeed played all those other games for Steam/PC though, I'll probably hold off and see if the NieR port is good before I decide which to get it for.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Boost mode works with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided right?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

RatHat posted:

haveblue posted:

Boost mode will not do anything for:
-Games with native Pro support (like Horizon)
-Games that enforce their own framerate cap
-Games with no significant performance issues on a non-Pro

That said, the only reason to turn it off is if you encounter a game that misbehaves with it turned on. No one knows which games these are yet, there might not even be any, but that disclaimer is there because Sony's engineers and legal team couldn't *guarantee* there are no such games.

Pro-enabled games should ignore the checkbox entirely and turning it on or off won't change anything.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its overstated to say it will do nothing for games with framerate caps or 'no significant performance issues'. it will probably improve load times if nothing else

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RatHat posted:

Blanket statement: Boost Mode has the potential to increase performance for any game that isn't already specifically patched/optimized to take advantage of the PS4 Pro. It does this by clocking the CPU and GPU past what a normal PS4 runs at, nothing else. Boost Mode will not make any difference if the game is already running smoothly at its intended framerate in Base Mode. It doesn't change the graphical quality, increase the resolution, enable additional AA or anything else.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Quick question on the helldivers editions
Do the ultimate edition, with various dlc included, come with codes or what?

Basically if i buy it used from gamestop will i get the dlc that comes with those games?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Make sure that you have people to play with or at least make sure the MP isn't dead before buying helldivers. Sorry I can't actually answer your question. Also, Helldivers is super fun for like 4 hours and then it gets really boring so keep that in mind.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

morallyobjected posted:

the only things Rocket League really has on Disc Jam are

(a) better matchmaking (though whether that's population or netcode I have no idea, and I assume that unlike Rocket League, Disc Jam isn't cross platform)
(b) the rate/variety of unlocks
(c) the variety of maps

but (b) and (c) are both fixable since they're working on new content and Rocket League has had a long time to build stuff up

I like Disc Jam but as it stands it's a super sparse package. The characters are bland as hell, there's no AI modes, there's only one arena, and the unlocks suck. It's a good platform to build on but it needs more time to bake.

Also Rocket League was polished to a shine at launch. Disc Jam...isn't. Not even close.

e: I can't overstate how loving terrible the characters are. And they made the Japanese character a ninja because of course

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Shadow225 posted:

Every stream I've watched of Nier is walking around a town. There is a robot Sartre here. I hate existentialism. I don't get the praise for the game

I like to get stoned and zone out to the absurdly good music

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Why are so many good games coming out all at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I like Disc Jam but as it stands it's a super sparse package. The characters are bland as hell, there's no AI modes, there's only one arena, and the unlocks suck. It's a good platform to build on but it needs more time to bake.

Also Rocket League was polished to a shine at launch. Disc Jam...isn't. Not even close.

e: I can't overstate how loving terrible the characters are. And they made the Japanese character a ninja because of course

yeah but nobody plays Rocket League for the AI modes.

the core gameplay of Disc Jam is good, even if it's not as robust, cosmetically. Rocket League is the better full product for sure, but fun-wise, they're both about equal in my book, and Disc Jam has a lot of room to grow