Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Last I checked, steam burns are a bitch.

Heat gets absorbed as part of the process for evaporation, same logic involved in spraying water on oranges to protect them from freezing temps. The steam at that point isn't super hot yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You can stick your hand into a thing of molten lead if your hand is wet.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Last I checked, steam burns are a bitch.

Steam burns are from steam condensing on your skin and releasing a bunch of energy as it transitions to water. This is the exact opposite of that process, where all that energy turns the water into steam preventing it from reaching your skin.

This is the same effect that someone already linked (Leidenfrost effect) that causes water drops to "float" around in a hot skillet. The bottom of the drop flashes to steam and that steam prevents the rest of the water from touching the pan. Steam is largely air so it conducts heat much more poorly than liquid water does. This process is also a major issue in nuclear reactors, depending on the type. If you have a boiling water reactor you want some amount of boiling but not so much that you create large steam pockets around the fuel, which is called boiling crisis. It's technically possible to get boiling in a pressurized water reactor, but much harder and any boiling in one of those is a crisis, not just beyond nucleate boiling.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Okay, but what's happening faster though? The conduction of heat through the water, or the evap-cooling effect?

I don't know the physics of it, I'm just thinking of it like grabbing a hot pan with a dry cloth is fine, whereas grabbing it with a wet cloth is almost as bad as grabbing it with a bare hand.

If your cloth is wet enough you can grab that pan, because I had this exact discussion with my father years ago and he proved me wrong by soaking the towel more. If its just damp, that's bad.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

That's beautiful.

We've had 17 medical treatment injury recordable incidents through January and February. This year is going great so far :supaburn:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

iroc.dis posted:

We've had 17 medical treatment injury recordable incidents through January and February. This year is going great so far :supaburn:

Where do you work? A 1890s steel mill?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

iroc.dis posted:

What the gently caress.

I hope there’s a small city on the payroll.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm just commenting because the first dude to douse himself is hot as gently caress... thermally and physically.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/4ZpiPir.gifv

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I hate everything about this

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Tech reported to hospital today with a... "penetrative wound/ foreign body"... from fibre optic cable splice

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

Tech reported to hospital today with a... "penetrative wound/ foreign body"... from fibre optic cable splice

Did they train the surgeon to operate a backhoe or teach a backhoe driver to do surgery?

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Did they train the surgeon to operate a backhoe or teach a backhoe driver to do surgery?

I'm not sure what you're saying here. The tech was onsite doing mechanical fibre splicing and somehow got a good two inches of the cable in his arm??? my mind loving boggles

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I'm not sure what you're saying here. The tech was onsite doing mechanical fibre splicing and somehow got a good two inches of the cable in his arm??? my mind loving boggles

I think it was a reference to the fact that backhoes have an uncanny ability to locate fiber.

Content:
http://i.imgur.com/VF0Ilgr.gifv

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Backhoes cure fibers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Backhoes have an unnerving ability to remove fibre.

The savvy network technician carries a short length of cable when traveling.

If they should become lost, bury the cable and wait. When the backhoe arrives to dig it up, ask the operator for a ride.

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/F/fiber-seeking-backhoe.html

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 9, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/zs3Mmm4.gifv

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

if you are talking about fiber optic cable, it is basically a very thin and long piece of glass. i haven't ever worked with it but i could imagine if you had raw fiber optic cable not sheathed with a covering, it might be easy to get it stuck in your skin

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

The cable cling wrap condom is talking about is fuse jointed, which means its put into a big mechanical contraption and humans arnt exposed to the unsheathed fibres. For a tech to get it stuck in thier arm :magical:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Whatever they are paying her, it is not enough to put up with this poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jet Jaguar posted:

That's what tips are for!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Not what her manager meant when he told her to monitor the restaurant.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Haha nice

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm the woman standing on her chair because if the lizard touches me it will make me dirty.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

:golfclap:

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

Fuckface the Hedgehog posted:

The cable cling wrap condom is talking about is fuse jointed, which means its put into a big mechanical contraption and humans arnt exposed to the unsheathed fibres. For a tech to get it stuck in thier arm :magical:

Yeah this was my main source of bewilderment. It's fuse jointed.. i wonder if it was already jointed, how did... aaaaaaa

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jet Jaguar posted:

It's an Australian restaurant, so she's getting a living wage at least.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/austr...5bafb0595ef63c7

quote:

Her boss, Mimosa Wines owner Glenn Butson, told Storyful Ms Lila thought dragging goannas outside was just “what Aussies do”.
“She came here to improve her English and learn about Australian culture and wildlife,” he said.
“I recently told her a story about a goanna trapped in our shower and how I picked it up by the tail and carried it outside.
“She just thought that’s what Aussies do when a goanna comes inside.”

:australia: as gently caress

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

I was really expecting her to just wing it over the glass railing, ala the raccoon attacking the yappy dog gif.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TIL the reccomended coolants for machining plutonium are carbon tetrachloride or Freon-113. Why yes, CCl will start a plutonium-chlorine fire if it gets too hot. Safety procedure: Don't do that. Anything containing hydrogen atoms creates a criticality hazard and volatile solvents are preferred because why worry about filtering plutonium out of gallons of whatever when you can just let it evaporate from a one-pass open loop?

That book also has an entire chapter about welding plutonium and I don't even want to think about how that data was collected.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I don't know much about plutonium, but my guess is that if you are around when it catches fire, your life is about to get fairly complicated.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PopeCrunch posted:

I don't know much about plutonium, but my guess is that if you are around when it catches fire, your life is about to get fairly complicated.

Briefly complicated maybe.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I'm the woman standing on her chair because if the lizard touches me it will make me dirty.

If it touches you with its bacteria-ridden mouth then yes?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It actually does have venom, the study everyone based their claims on all these years got it wrong. Nobody thought to challenge the conclusions until a group of scientists realised there was a mistake in the methodology and decided to do their own tests.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah I looked it up after. Steve Irwin lied to me.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PopeCrunch posted:

No more so than if any other metal catches fire, probably. The process is the same: Run. Maybe a bit faster because this metal is slightly radioactive?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I always heard the danger from a frightened goanna is that it might mistake you for a tree and try to climb you. Which would hurt.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Jesus I thought I hit a bump in the timeline. The lizards climbing you like a tree thing got posted earlier in another thread elsewhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grem posted:

Jesus I thought I hit a bump in the timeline. The lizards climbing you like a tree thing got posted earlier in another thread elsewhere.

Testekill posted:

Goannas are massive loving pussies, that's the only dangerous thing about them. They get scared and they try to climb up the nearest thing so it'll mistake you for a tree.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grem posted:

Maybe you've GotLag? :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

PopeCrunch posted:

The British learned this the hard way when one of the piles at the Windscale air-cooled (lol) reactor caught fire. Here's a good doco about the disaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ4vtUzG6sQ