Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They're replacing the giant RX 78 statue in Japan with Unicorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
IBO is a show that has a cool setting, and good mech designs, but I can't be bothered to give a poo poo about any character on the show.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

They're replacing the giant RX 78 statue in Japan with Unicorn
I'm assuming it's going to be NT-D/Awakened Unicorn, right?

Mostly because the glowing sections would give them options for light show effects during festivals/other big public events, and I doubt they'd say no to that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

IBO is okay but it suffers from a lot of wasted pacing and time. The last episodes have been a lot better but good chunks of S1 and S2 feel kind of badly paced and to be honest the split season didn't help it much. A lot of characters were put into wheel-spinning stasis until the second half of S2.

A lot depends on the ending.

Is there a Gundam show with consistently good pacing?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
0080. Thunderbolt.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm thinking they meant along the lines of the long form series.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Build Fighters?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

golden bubble posted:

Not really though it depends. With IBO I genuinely feel like it wasted a lot of time because characters got very close to the end of their arc and then froze for about half a season. Now that they're past that it's picked up a lot but it kind of reminds of Geass S2 in that there's a lot of spinning-of-the-wheels for characters who aren't really advancing much. Orga and Mika basically are in the same position they have been for half the series it's just now it appears to actually be time to pay the piper. Kudelia has been Madam Barely Appearing In This Series. The villains genuinely feel like they've had the most development and characterization which isn't bad but... yeah.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That's the problem with any tv show going 50+. You're either too slow or too fast or not enough or too much.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I thought Turn-A's pacing was perfect for its kind of show.

Also I didn't have a problem watching SEED, it didn't feel too fast or too slow for me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I felt the last couple episodes of Turn-A were a little rushed, though the second half of the last episode was really good in a bittersweet kinda way.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Ignoring anything that's not tv-length, I'd probably go with Turn A, followed by G-Reco, for best-paced series.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I definitely remember Build Fighters S1 going at a respectable, efficient clip (give or take the odd fanservicey detour).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yah I'd put it in third, insomuch as it has some pretty standard pacing for its type of narrative.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Both shows benefit from only being 26, although i felt g reco felt rushed in the last arc.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It seems curious to put G-Reco up for 'best pacing', though. It went at an utterly manic clip that gave the characters and setting very little room to breathe, not least because the once-an-episode fight scenes kept eating up screentime while often serving very little narrative purpose. I mean, yeah, the situation destabilising shockingly fast as a bunch of idiots started messing around with their incredibly lethal toys was the point, but the show didn't really invest that much into why we should care, and a lack of pacing for downtime seemed like a key part of that, and the endless conflicts made it difficult to get a proper sense of escalation.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I never found the pacing to be too fast for me to get detached from what's going on, and it managed to avoid sagging somewhere in the middle like most other Gundam shows, is my reasoning.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Zeta can be a little slow at times, but I felt that its pacing is pretty good for a 52 episode show. Characters get lots of time to develop, villains plot, fights happen, then people switch sides or die.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I never felt any attachment to what was going on in G-Reco to begin with, largely because of the pacing along with the sheer number of characters and different factions.

That being said, I suspect that more than any other Gundam show G-Reco would benefit from being marathoned in large chunks rather than weekly airings.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I came in late for G-Reco and marathoned, I thought the opposite because I assumed having a week in between might sorta help processing? I kinda stopped caring about anything mobile-suit wise when they have random one-time variant attachments just fill time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tae posted:

I came in late for G-Reco and marathoned, I thought the opposite because I assumed having a week in between might sorta help processing? I kinda stopped caring about anything mobile-suit wise when they have random one-time variant attachments just fill time.
That's interesting to hear. It might depend more on the preferences of the individual viewer then.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Isn't that true of every show?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

tsob posted:

Isn't that true of every show?
To an extent, yeah, though some styles of storytelling that a television show can employ certainly have more mass appeal than others.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I agree with Turn A having good pacing, from what I remember G Gundam was paced pretty well.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

I agree with Turn A having good pacing, from what I remember G Gundam was paced pretty well.

g gundam was okay, but some of the episodes were pretty fillerly.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Monaghan posted:

g gundam was okay, but some of the episodes were pretty fillerly.

Yeah but all the filler was just more Gundam fights. It's not like there was an episode about Domon and Sai Sici learning to drive hover cars.

Although now I wish there were.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'M A WONDERBUG!
*causes a 30 hover car pile up*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ore wa....Gundam. Ore wa Crunchyroll.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've be re-reading one of my favorite books, The Three Musketeers, and for some reason started thinking about remaking it with Gundam characters. So far I've got:

Athos = Amuro
D'Artagnan = Camille (he's totally the kind of guy to challenge three persons to a duel on his first day in town)
Aramis = Quattro
Porthos = Judau?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Ryu Jose would make a good Porthos

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Schneider Heim posted:

Ryu Jose would make a good Porthos

Yeah you need a big fat hedonist for that character.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

If I was going to rewatch Zeta, what would be the best way to do it? I know there's the relatively recent compilation movies, but I understand those make some alterations to the plot; do those matter enough to make it worthwhile to rewatch the whole series, or should I just do the movies, or some combination?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Valentin posted:

If I was going to rewatch Zeta, what would be the best way to do it? I know there's the relatively recent compilation movies, but I understand those make some alterations to the plot; do those matter enough to make it worthwhile to rewatch the whole series, or should I just do the movies, or some combination?

My understanding is that the movies don't add very much new animation and change the ending completely, in a way that's incompatible with ZZ.

But if it's a rewatch, hey, knock yourself out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Valentin posted:

The Compilation movies aren't terrible if you're re-watching. They're terrible if you're unfamiliar with Zeta, but if you just want a general refresher to remind yourself what happened, they're not completely terrible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/raispada/status/839763276955209728

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Valentin posted:

Even as a refresher they get janky as gently caress since you have to fill in gaps in the narrative yourself and the way they mix the old and new animation is quite bad.

Stuff like a mech charging in to punch in new, modern animation, then the punch connecting is in the old animation. Or walking down a hallway and it constantly shifts, etc.

It's maddening.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah the gap in production is so severe the new animation doesn't mesh well with the old. The first movie doesn't have a lot of new animation but by the 3rd movie I think 60 or 70 percent is new stuff.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

They didn't attempt to match it at all. I don't think they gave a poo poo (or were worried that a subtle difference would be more off putting than a stark difference).

They should have just reanimated the whole thing, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a compilation movie.

The new animation when it pops up is gorgeous though, and yeah there is a lot more new animation in the second and third movie (though this makes the shifts back to old even more bizarre).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't the old animation have film grain and the new animation not?