Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My girlfriend wants to go to Japan and I told her we have to do that tour. She said it has to be an old car so S30 or C10. I am fine with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My girlfriend wants to go to Japan and I told her we have to do that tour. She said it has to be an old car so S30 or C10. I am fine with this.

If she likes old cars you have to go to the Toyota vintage museum at Megaweb on Odaiba. I got to see a 432R in the flesh. It was like confirmation that God existed for a Catholic.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If she likes old cars you have to go to the Toyota vintage museum at Megaweb on Odaiba. I got to see a 432R in the flesh. It was like confirmation that God existed for a Catholic.

She's a massive hippy and hates cars, yet she's coming round to older cars so my programming is working :v:

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

She's a massive hippy and hates cars, yet she's coming round to older cars so my programming is working :v:

Show her a Nissan Pao or Figaro.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TWSS posted:

To the others that were asking, no, if you destroy the car you pay them the moneys, they keep the totaled car and then you leave with nothing but a sense of shame for having destroyed a national treasure. I'm not sure how minor damage is dealt with, but yoshi told me the r34 goes through several drivers side mirrors a year due to americans going too tight on left handers.

This is how the Nurburgring rental companies do it as well. You pay for the damage and they usually fix the car then get it back into the rental fleet. First time we did it as we were filling out the paperwork and signing out lives away some guy was calling the police to report his incident. One place had a list you could look at with their repair prices for the most commonly destroyed stuff. They also had a wall of smashed bumpers/doors/wheels though said if you wanted a souvenir from your wreck you could pay for them to ship it to you.

I only had one 'oh poo poo' moment of rototation on my third rental due to cold tires and a damp track. Just stepped out a bit but was a minor pucker moment.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

meatcookie posted:

Show her a Nissan Pao or Figaro.

There's actually a few Figaros around where she lives and I do point them out and she seems cool about them aside from them being autos. I reckon she'd love a Pao.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is how the Nurburgring rental companies do it as well. You pay for the damage and they usually fix the car then get it back into the rental fleet. First time we did it as we were filling out the paperwork and signing out lives away some guy was calling the police to report his incident. One place had a list you could look at with their repair prices for the most commonly destroyed stuff. They also had a wall of smashed bumpers/doors/wheels though said if you wanted a souvenir from your wreck you could pay for them to ship it to you.

I only had one 'oh poo poo' moment of rototation on my third rental due to cold tires and a damp track. Just stepped out a bit but was a minor pucker moment.

I would so so love to do some laps on the 'ring with an awesome rental car, but stuff like this is what would keep me driving at 2/10.

Which I suppose is exactly what they want.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Rent4Ring has a very good optional insurance package that limits your max liability to 2500 euros if you pick the Suzuki Swift. Considering you can rack up six figures in damages and track closure/cleanup fees the insurance is worth it.

I was comfortable going about 6/10ths in the rain and had a blast last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhCSv_enAFg

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 8, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/rcmpmb/status/839180919055462400

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Guinness posted:

I would so so love to do some laps on the 'ring with an awesome rental car, but stuff like this is what would keep me driving at 2/10.

Which I suppose is exactly what they want.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Rent4Ring has a very good optional insurance package that limits your max liability to 2500 euros if you pick the Suzuki Swift. Considering you can rack up six figures in damages and track closure/cleanup fees the insurance is worth it.

I was comfortable going about 6/10ths in the rain and had a blast last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhCSv_enAFg

We did Rent4Ring the first time and they were great, they would be recommendation. The swift is more than quick enough to scare the poo poo out of you on that track, it's so drat narrow. I'd driven hundreds if not 1k+ laps of it on Forza, Assetto Corsa, etc so I had a general knowledge of the track and it was still overwhelming the first several laps.

Dad and I had more fun in the swift than the 128i, driving a slow cars fast. From the apex out just plant your foot until the next braking zone then abuse the hell out of the ABS if its wet and toss it in. We had a blast.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You'll have a nice time in anything and you won't crash if you're not retarded. The track is that intimidating.
Y'all should go.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

You'll have a nice time in anything and you won't crash if you're not retarded. The track is that intimidating.
Y'all should go.

It really is. I've been on track for about 16 years in all sorts of cars and all sorts of competition, that track humbled the poo poo out of me. You tend to drive conservatively when you have less than 10 feet of runoff in most parts, limited visibility and a poo poo load of corners to navigate.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NitroSpazzz posted:

It really is. I've been on track for about 16 years in all sorts of cars and all sorts of competition, that track humbled the poo poo out of me. You tend to drive conservatively when you have less than 10 feet of runoff in most parts, limited visibility and a poo poo load of corners to navigate.

It's time, again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMCfPASImQ

:black101:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I believe you meant to post this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBFjHjm0O5M

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Thank you, I felt bad posting without something awesome to accompany it.

To make up for my wrong doings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FstXpvGzxZI
Around 3:20 he leaves the competition course

BraveUlysses posted:

yellowbird related news:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/geneva-auto-show/news/a32845/2017-ruf-ctr-faithful-tribute-yellow-bird-930-turbo/
2017 CTR, carbon body, 1200kg (dry weight), 700hp, custom inboard pushrod suspension, and one permanent raging hardon for each owner
"is built on a completely bespoke chassis rather than a production Porsche platform" What a car

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 8, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yellowbird related news:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/geneva-auto-show/news/a32845/2017-ruf-ctr-faithful-tribute-yellow-bird-930-turbo/

2017 CTR, carbon body, 1200kg (dry weight), 700hp, custom inboard pushrod suspension, and one permanent raging hardon for each owner

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My wife doesn't hate cars but doesn't get the appeal of them as anything other than appliances. I talked her into a trip to the Blackhawk Museum here in the SF Bay area and after seeing a bunch of pre-war coachbuilt cars and 60's exotics, she understands my obsessions a bit more. The only problem is that now is that she wants to get something with gullwing doors and they're all too expensive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

My wife doesn't hate cars but doesn't get the appeal of them as anything other than appliances. I talked her into a trip to the Blackhawk Museum here in the SF Bay area and after seeing a bunch of pre-war coachbuilt cars and 60's exotics, she understands my obsessions a bit more. The only problem is that now is that she wants to get something with gullwing doors and they're all too expensive.
Import an AZ-1.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

InitialDave posted:

Import an AZ-1.
Oh man, these are starting to hit the 25 year cutoff, aren't they? :getin:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Or buy a DeLorean.

If your wife doesn't like AZ-1s or DeLoreans, it's time for a new patio.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

My wife doesn't hate cars but doesn't get the appeal of them as anything other than appliances.

In Get Out, there's a pretty distinctive white 944 that a bad guy in a helmet uses in the opening scene.
When the car comes up again, my gf didn't register it as the same car. Took seeing the helmet in the passenger seat for her to put it together.
Car indifference is pervasive :(.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kimbo305 posted:

In Get Out, there's a pretty distinctive white 944 that a bad guy in a helmet uses in the opening scene.
When the car comes up again, my gf didn't register it as the same car. Took seeing the helmet in the passenger seat for her to put it together.
Car indifference is pervasive :(.

prosopagnosi-car

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The first ones are already in the US. They have already ~arrived~ although the price for them is probably very high considering only the very first ones are legal.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Lets pretend that I want a Mazdaspeed AZ-1 and I live in Texas. How much would it cost to buy, import, and register?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MetaJew posted:

Lets pretend that I want a Mazdaspeed AZ-1 and I live in Texas. How much would it cost to buy, import, and register?

Expect around 12k or so according to this person that is also in Texas.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

I believe you meant to post this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBFjHjm0O5M

Sorry, but Leh Keen in the rain at night is about as hairy as it gets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvN0EzEacU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

Sorry, but Leh Keen in the rain at night is about as hairy as it gets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvN0EzEacU
Fast cars driving fast, even under the hairiest conditions, will never appeal to me as much as someone taking a slow shitbox and making everyone in front of them go "Jesus H Christ, I think he's serious".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Very fair point :)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

I must have one... Or I guess 2 because parts will be impossible.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Bape Culture posted:

Y'all should go.
Sounds pretty lame, but the closest to real life I've had with the 'ring is taking a few cars around it in VR. That poo poo is scary enough. I just know I'd gently caress up and end up with a big hunk of red scrap metal and a bill to repair the barriers.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I love that AX video purely for him catching back up to the 370(?) in the gravel-trap at Brünnchen.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MetaJew posted:

I must have one... Or I guess 2 because parts will be impossible.

Parts shouldn't be too bad, the engines are the same kei engines they shoved in all sorts of stuff, especially Jimnys which are quite common.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

KakerMix posted:

Parts shouldn't be too bad, the engines are the same kei engines they shoved in all sorts of stuff, especially Jimnys which are quite common.

IIRC, they're also compatible with the good old Suzuki G13BB. I know that the Jimny definitely is a drop in, the Mighty Boy is supposed to be basically a drop in with just some custom plumbing/mounting points necessary, and the Cappuccino are supposed compatible with "minor" engine bay alteration, whatever that means

I didn't look to far into the AZ-1 because they were out of my price range

E: and the Mighty Boy stole my heart

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

An AZ-1 engine-swapped to a supercharged Hayabusa motor is my dream street go-kart. Keep the sequential gearbox

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
But what do you do about reverse?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MetaJew posted:

stick your foot out and push.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Powershift posted:

Considering you can do this to my friend's 84 Civic, in an AZ-1 you could probably get some decent speed up. :v:

MetaJew posted:

In a Hayabusa engined AZ-1? Plant your foot, you'll soon be pointing in the other direction.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MetaJew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjV0iO-6vK8

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Powershift posted:

I seriously do this more than you'd think in my van just because it's easier that starting it and putting it in gear. The AZ-1 weighs even less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That's pretty clever.