Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Hackan Slash posted:

Two questions:

How high does Father Servo go, and is it worth trying to take him out? I'm level 20 and just beat the level 50 version after 20 minutes. It's getting super tedious.

He goes to 60 and it's super tedious. I tried the fight at 30 and ran out of all my buffs, and I guess sort of spoiler about that quest the fucker gets back up again after you beat him for round 2, though he's admittedly easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ntan1 posted:

Q: How many resources were spent on 2B's butt?

Taura: Well, there is a modeller in Platinum who is known as Matsudaira, who has an obsession with the shape of butts. In particular, he wanted the butts in Nier Automata to be depicted more beautifully than the butt of a painting of Yoshida Keiko, and...
Yoko Taro: Actually, let me explain in detail. When I initially proposed the design of 2B to Taura, 2B had pretty large boobs. However, Taura strongly objected because he has a preference for small boobs (Taura: that's personal information!). Then, when I talked to Matsudaira, he had strong opinions on butts. Basically, Taura became the bobb representative and Matsudaira became the butt representative, and that's how we now have 2B.

Perfect. 👌

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

He goes to 60 and it's super tedious. I tried the fight at 30 and ran out of all my buffs, and I guess sort of spoiler about that quest the fucker gets back up again after you beat him for round 2, though he's admittedly easier.

(playthrough 2 spoilers) It's way easier if you wait until for that since you can just hack him a few times with 9S and kill him that way.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

CrashScreen posted:

This is really easily alleviated by noticing how his level/hp raises each time and going "huh, ok, I think I will come back later when the gap between our levels is a little less insane!". It is clearly not meant to be cleared asap.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

He was pretty easy at 50 so I wasn't expecting too much from his 60 incarnation. I hacked him to death pretty quickly, but he took forever to get hacked at 60 and I was really bad at the super easy minigame when I was doing it, though I chalk that up to playing at stupid hours. (Also probably why I thought I could take on a level 60)

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 9, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I beat him at level 40 on my first playthrough thanks to the power of :shroom:

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I read the Nier: Gestalt LP before diving into this and was wondering if I'd be doing myself a favour if I hoard all those quest collectibles. Also does anyone have a strong opinion on which language to use? I generally go with subbed japanese when consuming other stuff like shows, anime, movies, etc... but with games it can be a bit tough at times to read while actively playing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I went into the desert for this quest and didn't know how to leave. Wound up in a den of level 38 enemies and was handling it pretty easily until suicide bombers tackled me

Lost my junk there. Rude, game.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I went into the desert for this quest and didn't know how to leave. Wound up in a den of level 38 enemies and was handling it pretty easily until suicide bombers tackled me

Lost my junk there. Rude, game.

That's where and how I had my first death too, I managed to run back in grab my body then run the hell away before I got murdered again.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Corte posted:

I read the Nier: Gestalt LP before diving into this and was wondering if I'd be doing myself a favour if I hoard all those quest collectibles. Also does anyone have a strong opinion on which language to use? I generally go with subbed japanese when consuming other stuff like shows, anime, movies, etc... but with games it can be a bit tough at times to read while actively playing.

The game has a lot of battles where people are talking, and it's very easy to miss something that could be important if you're trying to read subs and fight at the same time. Personally I prefer Japanese audio as well, and played the entire game like that, but it is an issue you're going to run into unless you're really good at reading subs and fighting bosses at the same time.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

The English cast is loving good, I don't see why you wouldn't go with that. Especially with so much dialogue during high-tension moments.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The Japanese is better if you understand Japanese, otherwise the English is better. Suck it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, how do I access the DLC items? I got the Day One version, I wanna hang out with my book buddy.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Check key items

Also is the Cyprus stick and the engine blade collectors only?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

did they change Sartre to Jean-Paul for the western version? weird ok

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

lets hang out posted:

did they change Sartre to Jean-Paul for the western version? weird ok

Jean-Paul is cuter, and it's still obvious who it is. What I don't get is why his name is censored whenever 9S speaks it?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

didn't re-record the lines. The english voice acting said Sartre before.

actually the jp voice acting is bleeped too, guess they changed it for everyone?

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 9, 2017

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
That's a strange change.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Maybe his relatives complained

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

How on earth can there be legal issues with Jean-Paul Sartre's name?

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Squidtentacle posted:

The English cast is loving good, I don't see why you wouldn't go with that. Especially with so much dialogue during high-tension moments.

My only issue is that the lip syncing is clearly for Japanese audio. Drives me nuts.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I've sunk about three hours in and I"m forcing myself away from the game just to sort of take it all in. poo poo's crazy and cool, combat feels great, exploration is a lot of fun, and I really like the enemy designs. The big open spaces in the first open world section seem kinda janky in places, there's pop-up and the graphics seem to strain more than I'd like, but the game runs smoothly when it needs to, particularly with combat and boss fights.

There's a lot of story questions I have right now, particularly since I'd beaten the first game. I've already seen some suspicious things, and I'm wondering if the twist here is going to be similar to the twist in the first game. Although...

In the background of the Resistance Camp I see Popola and Devola just chilling, not sure if that's just a cameo or not. Also it's sad and unnerving to see the masks of the City of Rules being worn by robots in the desert. Also the robot city is the cutest loving thing ever.

This game is really really good, graphical hiccups aside.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This thread makes me feel bad. I'm on Normal and I seem to be constantly underleveled by stuff despite taking time to do as many sidequests as I can. I've died a number of times (mostly in 2D sections) and I'm not finding it as easy as some folks are making it out to be.

Also I don't get those snake enemies at all. They rip me apart and in the 2D section in the forest castle I got mulched by one because it just seems to be a active damage hitbox and shooting it is super wimpy.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This thread makes me feel bad. I'm on Normal and I seem to be constantly underleveled by stuff despite taking time to do as many sidequests as I can. I've died a number of times (mostly in 2D sections) and I'm not finding it as easy as some folks are making it out to be.

Also I don't get those snake enemies at all. They rip me apart and in the 2D section in the forest castle I got mulched by one because it just seems to be a active damage hitbox and shooting it is super wimpy.

If it helps, you'll get something later that'll make them a lot easier to deal with. For now, because everything about it is a hitbox, you can perfect dodge around those parts and hit the core. Note that the snakes move in a constant and repeated pattern in that section, so once you get that down it's fine.

Alternatively, just run past them. There's nothing stopping you, you don't get much out of fighting them, and they're generally not worth it, especially since it's really easy for them to stun-lock you to death (this is the enemy that killed me the first time in the game).

As for the game itself, I found it helpful to stock up on Medium Recoveries and use them whenever I was at half health. It's really hard to die like that unless you get stunlocked, which if you're dodging and keeping your distance shouldn't be an issue. Also consider an Auto-Heal chip so you can back off and let that heal you. This game basically plays the exact opposite of how Revengeance worked - there, you wanted to be close to the enemy and parrying their attacks. Here, you keep your distance and move in when you can and then back out. You have a lot of mobility in this game, so use it to your advantage.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Man, I'd be game to tough this game out on hard and deal with lots of retries if the corpse recovery system weren't so punitive. Losing all your upgrades just seems unmanageable when you rely on them so much to deal with how lethal everything is, and I know for sure that I'd have to kiss them bye-bye if I really stuck with hard. Can you just reload your last save to get around that??? Seems poorly thought-out

Seriously, attacks that deal 15% of your health on normal are one-shots on hard. Needs an adjustment.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Everyone just turn it to Normal and you can clear the game. No one will know the truth.

About Route C I'm at the part where 2B is trying to get to a location by the factory and is infected which means my moveset is disabled. However, I never realized how many places I needed to jump b/t areas so I ended up being ganged up while repeatedly failing to reach a high ledge :sigh:

Then I had to restart from the very beginning. Am I just going the wrong direction or too slow?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Alder posted:

Everyone just turn it to Normal and you can clear the game. No one will know the truth.

But it's borinngggg

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

But it's borinngggg

You could probably up the difficulty then by never using any chips or upgrading your weapons, I guess.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

You could probably up the difficulty then by never using any chips or upgrading your weapons, I guess.

Neither of which are especially good solutions, given this is an action RPG and thus building your character is a significant part of the gameplay. And in the case of weapons you're missing out on the cool level 4 abilities and the weapon stories.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I finished ending A and never found any trader that sold combat bracers. If I was supposed to have already found the trader, spoil me who/where it is.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Genocyber posted:

Neither of which are especially good solutions, given this is an action RPG and thus building your character is a significant part of the gameplay. And in the case of weapons you're missing out on the cool level 4 abilities and the weapon stories.

That and you could still pretty much push through any fight by chugging lots of heals and mashing square. I want things to punish me, just not so dang much

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Artelier posted:

I finished ending A and never found any trader that sold combat bracers. If I was supposed to have already found the trader, spoil me who/where it is.

Emil sometimes sells 2 fist weapons. IIRC you'll get others pretty quickly in the course of route B if you explore thoroughly.

The delicious irony is that 9S's moveset with them is pretty horrible anyway :laugh:

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 9, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Finished Route A earlier tonight myself and I'm looking forward to seeing what else is in store. On the topic of combat bracers I ended route A with four of them. One from the forest, one for upgrading a weapon to level four, and two from Emil.. They're a pretty fun weapon set, and am I wrong or does it seem like different ones have different heavy attack combos?

Oh no, they're bad with 9S? They were my favorite weapons with 2B. :ohdear:

Cirina fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 9, 2017

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Artelier posted:

You can find combat bracers in the forest, climbing on some rocks and finding the shrine. Other than that I have no idea where to get some, because weapons you find in chests seem to be randomized

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Just fought the first "boss" in the desert and then escaped.

... that... was a thing, alright. :stare:

Love these drat games. :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Artelier posted:

On the first playthrough the only ones available are one in a hidden shrine in the forest and two that you can purchase from Emil. He has different inventory depending on where he is on the map. He'll change routes after you stop and talk to him enough times, apparently.

If you're on the second playthrough you can easily get a pair of bracers from the locked chest next to the Access Point at the Resistance Camp.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm I gonna need to collect all the weapons for endings C and D by the way?

I'm kinda used to it but I'm gonna feel silly buyin all these weapons if I don't actually need to.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm I gonna need to collect all the weapons for endings C and D by the way?

I'm kinda used to it but I'm gonna feel silly buyin all these weapons if I don't actually need to.

No, the only thing locked behind the level 4 all weapons grind this time is an optional superboss.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
So in route B can anyone tell me how to hijack bots?. I've done it once and only once and the rest of the time they always explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Marogareh posted:

So in route B can anyone tell me how to hijack bots?. I've done it once and only once and the rest of the time they always explode.

Hack them while they don't know you're there. It will give three options to choose from.