Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendell
May 11, 2003

He can't climb in shrines/dungeons though, which is completely understandable as it would ruin their ability to have puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wendell posted:

He can't climb in shrines/dungeons though, which is completely understandable as it would ruin their ability to have puzzles.

All that polished stone. Man, whoever built them sure wanted to gently caress over exploring elves.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wendell posted:

Bird power works in dungeons though which lets you skip all sorts of poo poo.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

All that polished stone. Man, whoever built them sure wanted to gently caress over exploring elves.

I've heard Steve jobs tomb is only accessible with the iPhone of time cook

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don't know what that is, socialsecurity, but it feels like a spoiler!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The Wii U looked like the original Wii, and had almost the same name. Shoppers assumed it was just an updated Wii and passed on it. Informed gamers didnt buy it because it didnt have a killer app. Avid gamers passed on it when they learned that the tablet controller with the big screen was a cocktease. The switch is a correction of all those mistakes, and it's what gamers wanted the Wii U to be.

Historically, many consoles that launched with a killer app went on to have great runs. Atari and Pong. Super Mario and NES, Sonic and Genesis, Super Mario 64 and N64, Soul Calibur and Dreamcast (Dont start with me), Halo and Xbox, Wii Sports and Wii, now Breath Of The Wild and Switch.

I appaud Nintendo for having the nuts to try new things. Even when they fail miserably, like the virtual boy, they have a good cry, listen to some Fleetwood Mac, and they pick up the pieces and continue on and redeem the poo poo out of themselves and make a hit product like the DS Lite and Wii. They hosed up with the Wii U, and now they are redeeming themselves again.

The key to its success is for Nintendo to get games that take advantage of the hybrid design. The fact that a handheld can transform into a stationary display with 2 gamepads is so loving cool. People are going to have LAN matches on planes.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

For the love of god please stop posting BotW spoilers here, there's a whole thread for that

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

ChocNitty posted:

The Wii U looked like the original Wii, and had almost the same name. Shoppers assumed it was just an updated Wii and passed on it. Informed gamers didnt buy it because it didnt have a killer app. Avid gamers passed on it when they learned that the tablet controller with the big screen was a cocktease. The switch is a correction of all those mistakes, and it's what gamers wanted the Wii U to be.

Historically, many consoles that launched with a killer app went on to have great runs. Atari and Pong. Super Mario and NES, Sonic and Genesis, Super Mario 64 and N64, Soul Calibur and Dreamcast (Dont start with me), Halo and Xbox, Wii Sports and Wii, now Breath Of The Wild and Switch.

I appaud Nintendo for having the nuts to try new things. Even when they fail miserably, like the virtual boy, they have a good cry, listen to some Fleetwood Mac, and they pick up the pieces and continue on and redeem the poo poo out of themselves and make a hit product like the DS Lite and Wii. They hosed up with the Wii U, and now they are redeeming themselves again.

The key to its success is for Nintendo to get games that take advantage of the hybrid design. The fact that a handheld can transform into a stationary display with 2 gamepads is so loving cool. People are going to have LAN matches on planes.

Plus developers don't need to do any wacky planning to deal with Nintendo's gimmicks the way they had to with the Wii U. For the most conservative projects, the Switch's screen can simply replace the TV screen and that's that. Some more ambitious projects might incorporate the touch screen, motion controls, or HD Rumble.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

ChocNitty posted:

i think the nintendo switch is a turd to be honest

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

ChocNitty posted:

Plus the portable/power trade off will be appealing to more developers than the lower powered WiiU console. Beefier handheld level games and lower res/graphics major releases. Plus indies will have something to attach to as the Vita enters its twilight years (enter joke about how it was in its twilight years at launch, Vita is a great handheld dammit!).

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
HH Gregg cancelled my switch order and went bankrupt. Haven't refunded my debit card yet #fun. Where should I try to get a switch?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Milosh posted:

HH Gregg cancelled my switch order and went bankrupt. Haven't refunded my debit card yet #fun. Where should I try to get a switch?

An actual store people have heard of?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Macintosh HD posted:

Plus developers don't need to do any wacky planning to deal with Nintendo's gimmicks the way they had to with the Wii U. For the most conservative projects, the Switch's screen can simply replace the TV screen and that's that. Some more ambitious projects might incorporate the touch screen, motion controls, or HD Rumble.

Exactly. Like I said eariler, even up to last year I still get people who think the WiiU was just some tablet for the Wii, and with how weird the system is designed so you have to program a second screen, it just drove people away. Also didn't help it had a bunch of low rent third party ports on launch that nobody really wanted after having played them on the PS3 and 360 a year or two ago, so the third parties left the system really quickly.

Infinitum posted:

They have them in Indiana. I forgot they even sell video games.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Infinitum posted:

Those have as many as a bankrupt store.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the motion puzzles in botw are not doable in handheld mode without a lotta contortion. kinda hate having to go table top to do them easily

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

these loss comics get weirder and weirder

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

HyperPuma posted:

i think the nintendo switch is a turd to be honest

have you considered that the turd....is you??

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Why is it impossible to find a case?

I pre-ordered one on Amazon that was supposed to release March 3rd. Now it is estimating April. Every other case on Amazon is estimating 1-2 months to ship. I went to Best Buy, Gamestop, and Target... none of them had cases.

Someone really dropped the ball on this one

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Someone make a version of that CTRL-ALT-DEL where the guy's wife is clutching a WiiU tablet instead of her abdomen

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ugh, I get Link losing his footing periodically while climbing in the rain, but not being able to climb at all? It's rock, not mud. Should at least be 2-3 steps forward and 1 back, not 2 forward and 5 back

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

chaleski posted:

For the love of god please stop posting BotW spoilers here, there's a whole thread for that

at the end you kill ganondorf

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ugh, I get Link losing his footing periodically while climbing in the rain, but not being able to climb at all? It's rock, not mud. Should at least be 2-3 steps forward and 1 back, not 2 forward and 5 back

It's actually 5 steps forward and like 3 back. You can time a jump on the fifth step and despite slipping still gain a lot of distance.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Why is it impossible to find a case?

I pre-ordered one on Amazon that was supposed to release March 3rd. Now it is estimating April. Every other case on Amazon is estimating 1-2 months to ship. I went to Best Buy, Gamestop, and Target... none of them had cases.

Someone really dropped the ball on this one

Nintendo was supposed to send warehouses for all retailers 10s of thousands and ended up only sending 1000.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Rirse posted:

Exactly. Like I said eariler, even up to last year I still get people who think the WiiU was just some tablet for the Wii, and with how weird the system is designed so you have to program a second screen, it just drove people away. Also didn't help it had a bunch of low rent third party ports on launch that nobody really wanted after having played them on the PS3 and 360 a year or two ago, so the third parties left the system really quickly.

Agreed. The Nintendo Switch's marketing is vastly superior to the Wii U's. This thing is all over the news, and people actually understand it. The device markets itself, too; people are going to see it out and about. I think it does well, maybe at the cost of cannibalizing the existing Nintendo portable business. I guess we'll find out.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
when's fire emblem

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

LLCoolJD posted:

Agreed. The Nintendo Switch's marketing is vastly superior to the Wii U's. This thing is all over the news, and people actually understand it. The device markets itself, too; people are going to see it out and about. I think it does well, maybe at the cost of cannibalizing the existing Nintendo portable business. I guess we'll find out.

Makes sense to me that Nintendo would want to move towards tablet gaming. It's seems easier for other devs- no second screen, or 3d, or really any required gimmicks at all. I doubt they will continue with two separate lines. 3ds is doomed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Calaveron posted:

It's actually 5 steps forward and like 3 back. You can time a jump on the fifth step and despite slipping still gain a lot of distance.

its not fun though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Jimmy Hats posted:

when's fire emblem

The Warriors spinoff game is Fall and will probably be bad, because all of those are bad

And I think they announced a Switch FE game for 2018?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just found another benefit to the Switch. We had like 50 mph winds here today and after work I was playing BotW and the power went out. I just grabbed it right out of the dock and kept playing.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Mahoning posted:

Just found another benefit to the Switch. We had like 50 mph winds here today and after work I was playing BotW and the power went out. I just grabbed it right out of the dock and kept playing.

:captainpop::chanpop:

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Mahoning posted:

I would've forgotten I could do that and just got mad.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Verdict's in.....the switch is good.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Make sure you take off any metal clothes you're wearing

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Were those framedrops/framerate issues on the handheld during the Zelda portion or am I losing it?

just wanted to let you know you weren't losing it

wicka posted:

that's not what i'm saying you silly goose. you are watching a teaser video. if you think this is an accurate representation of final gameplay quality then wow

and not just gameplay quality, framerate and refresh rate. it's a video of a video. holy poo poo.

you might want to sit down for this though :(

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The 3DS is six years old so this was as good as time as any to end the Wii U and 3DS and release something like the Switch. Like even the mega popular DS only lasted seven.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Crazy. Is this the first time Nintendo's made a device that can do that?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

So is Blaster Master dropping at midnight eastern or midnight PT or sometime tomorrow afternoon?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i liked in zelda when the first tower was flat and you rose up it after activating automatically.

i don't like all the other towers that are up and you gonna climb them in a very slow way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FireMrshlBill posted:

So is Blaster Master dropping at midnight eastern or midnight PT or sometime tomorrow afternoon?

eShop generally updates at 12 PM EST (give or take ~15 minutes). For anything that's not a AAA big budget game, expect to see it then.

• Locked thread