Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

I think enjoying animation is a reaaaal fine line with most people, and at the moment that you cross into mature stuff you better know the other person real drat well.

Same for any kind of media though.

Man, watching Game of Thrones or Versailles with my family has been awkward in the past...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I too must express a rather bitter disenchantment with the way hypothetical zoophilia takes the place of actual depictions of literal animal loving, which is something that really can be observed with great ease and doesn't need to, like, be viewed on 'pervy forums' or something. It's just not that funny compared to how dynamically emotional it can be to watch depictions of any kind of sexuality in the animated medium, which is why Anomalisa is required viewing. But, of course, there's the more scandalous variety: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7spNAbUx2Lg

Like, yes, there's zoophilia in Belladonna of Sadness, just in that the line between is completely blurred by the end, and then the climax is Dadaist Hell.

This is from the "Joining of Adam and Eve" opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnlgCMqlAYs

It's straight into pop art degeneracy and occultism after that.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 9, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like some weird animation, for sure, but man I think Fritz the Cat sucks rear end.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

I like some weird animation, for sure, but man I think Fritz the Cat sucks rear end.

I still want to see it! What's the best Bakshi film?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

Stabbing yourself in the face.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lord of the Rings was pretty bad but it had its moments..

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Hedrigall posted:

Probably Heavy Traffic, Wizards, or American Pop.

But Fritz the Cat is really good. Its harsh, incendiary aesthetic is like an animated riff on Medium Cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rj6doZ1bFo

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, Fritz the Cat is pretty much required viewing if you want a real taste of what life was like back then - not that it imitates it well, just that it mocks it with so much texture and vivacity that you get a really strong flavor of the post-hippie slump. It's not good in an easy viewing way, because it's tasteless, abrasive, and sort of boring, but it's an excellent signpost for an era, like reading Mad Magazine. Also, Crumb is a genius and even if it loses his wit in translation to the screen you still get his obsessively sexual nihilism.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
let me tell you about the gay sex lives of gregarious marine mammals

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
in addition to having gay sex between males like, all the time, elephant seals also practice something called "adaptive transvestitism" where a low-status male will hold his huge floppy nose bent over in his mouth so he looks like a blunt-faced female and infiltrate the harem in disguise to get booty without the top male attacking him

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, Fritz the Cat is pretty much required viewing if you want a real taste of what life was like back then - not that it imitates it well, just that it mocks it with so much texture and vivacity that you get a really strong flavor of the post-hippie slump. It's not good in an easy viewing way, because it's tasteless, abrasive, and sort of boring, but it's an excellent signpost for an era, like reading Mad Magazine.

I learnt so much about American history and culture by reading old Mad magazines from the 70s and 80s when I was a kid! They really do capture current events and the cultural zeitgeist in a fascinating way.

Avshalom posted:

let me tell you about the gay sex lives of gregarious marine mammals

*Zoidberg voice* I'm liiistening...

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the reason i'm sharing this with you is because it makes me horny

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
TBH I kinda suspect that Hedrigall isn't really a furry at all and is just playing a bit, but TBH at that point the intended irony level doesn't really matter; if you're pretending to be a furry that hard, you're basically a furry now, congratulations

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cinema Discusso > Animation Thread 2017: you're basically a furry now, congratulations

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Hedrigall posted:

I learnt so much about American history and culture by reading old Mad magazines from the 70s and 80s when I was a kid! They really do capture current events and the cultural zeitgeist in a fascinating way.

Learning about past culture via satire is ultra legit, tbh, because it focuses on really interesting minutiae.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Regalingualius posted:

Watch this.

*conspicuously sets a Moogle doll out on the ground*

*Arrives drunk, hours later"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Also, I just saw Moana and it was like watching the cheap video game adaptation of a better movie. Shiny is a pretty limp villain's song, breaking from the Jewish tradition and instead going for a kind of vague Britpop vibe, but I was impressed by You're Welcome, particularly the patter segment. Otherwise, it was just kind of blandly passable and lacking in showmanship.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Don't say I didn't warn you.

Circa 2 weeks ago:

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Animation Thread 2017: Secretly the designated Furry thread BTW

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And I think that this is where I admit that I still haven't seen Zootopia and the hype surrounding it has made me wary of biting the bullet and pulling it up on Netflix.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Circa 2 weeks ago:

Secret? What secret?

Waffleman_ posted:

And I think that this is where I admit that I still haven't seen Zootopia and the hype surrounding it has made me wary of biting the bullet and pulling it up on Netflix.

Just watch, fam. You'll have a good time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Das Boo posted:

*Arrives drunk, hours later"

*springs from behind bush, starting to shout "FURRRRYYY!"*

...what the gently caress does this thread get up to? :stonk:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Regalingualius posted:

...what the gently caress does this thread get up to? :stonk:

Do not ask that question.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
This Summer, the fur will fly in the SA Animation Thread 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The clue was in the name of the forum all along

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It ain't Cinema Discummo.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Pick posted:

It ain't Cinema Discummo.

Sinema Discumandgo

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I just finally caught up on the thread and uh...holy poo poo. It's ok guys, it's just cartoon movies. Calm down. :v:

I do kind of want to see Cats Don't Dance again though...

I need to watch Sing now that I can stream it. My roommate's seen it and says it's decent. It "suffers from being released after Zootopia" but that it's a good movie and was emotional enough to make him cry.

My year looks to be filled with superheroes and live action stuff (Power Rangers, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Wonder Woman (maybe), Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor 3 (maybe)). What are some animated movies coming this year? All I can think of is superheroes... I'm not really sure if there are any?

Fangz posted:

How well do you think Boss Baby will do? Do kids like films about babies?

Unfortunately, judging by the reactions the trailer got before Rock Dog, I think it'll do VERY well.

I still think all of the characters have very, very punchable faces. Especially the baby character....which is a weird thing to say.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Every time I've seen the Boss Baby trailer in theaters it gets uproarious applause.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Just watch Castle in the Sky instead, that's an actual good movie about an imagined city.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

Every time I've seen the Boss Baby trailer in theaters it gets uproarious applause.

There's a horrific ad for toilet paper in cinemas here with an uncanny valley CGI baby/Cupid/angel thing breakdancing and body popping and it's the loving worst thing I've ever seen and EVERY TIME I've encountered it, it had the general audience laughing appreciatively :barf:

What the loving gently caress is loving wrong with people

Trying to find the ad on Youtube but maybe it's best I can't

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 9, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

K. Waste posted:

Probably Heavy Traffic, Wizards, or American Pop.

The entirety of Wizards is basically just a setup for the final punchline. But to its credit, it's a really good punchline.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I get where you're coming from; I think this was me when getting around to Frozen a year or so after the hype. I can't say for certain if that's part of what led to my appraisal of the film to be "pretty good, but holy poo poo is this overrated" or not, though I'm inclined to say "yes".

So maybe not being caught up in the zeitgeist surrounding the film may lead to a more cynical take on it, but hey, I'd still watch it. Even if it's not a film that gives you the warm/fuzzy feeling that Disney's Renaissance films did, it's still a fun watch. And hey, on the off-chance you really don't dig it, it'll lead to interesting discussion, at least?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really enjoyed Frozen but in no way did it warrant the amount of hype it loving maintains.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I never got around to seeing Mad Max: Fury Road, and I still haven't seen it. I have it just sitting around here waiting to be watched. But I'm super apprehensive about watching it at this point because I haven't seen a movie hyped up like that in a long time.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I never got around to seeing Mad Max: Fury Road, and I still haven't seen it. I have it just sitting around here waiting to be watched. But I'm super apprehensive about watching it at this point because I haven't seen a movie hyped up like that in a long time.

It's the one recent film I can think of that would probably still hold up even after you've been soured by weirdos who want to gently caress the movie. Zootopia is some good cartoon but yeah, I'd imagine if you're going into it primed with Hedrigall posts you're gonna kinda hate it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Pick posted:

I really enjoyed Frozen but in no way did it warrant the amount of hype it loving maintains.

It's not overrated but rather oversaturated.

Also just watch movies on your time and pace, gently caress what other people think of them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's the one recent film I can think of that would probably still hold up even after you've been soured by weirdos who want to gently caress the movie. Zootopia is some good cartoon but yeah, I'd imagine if you're going into it primed with Hedrigall posts you're gonna kinda hate it.

Yeah, like maybe wait on Zootopia until this thread isn't fresh in your mind (it's freaking good though). But yeah, Mad Max holds up, real good film. Just enjoy it for what it is and have a good dang time.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I didn't get around to Mad Max: Fury Road until Easter weekend 2016, but nah, that film definitely lived up to the hype. :perfect:

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Also, there isn't a single thing on God's green earth that can stand up to the cynicism of someone who expects to hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Whiz Palace posted:

Also, there isn't a single thing on God's green earth that can stand up to the cynicism of someone who expects to hate it.

There are totally movies and TV shows that I straight up just refuse to watch because I'm not interested or won't think I'll like it. And I know that if I watch it and inevitably legit don't like it, I'll get the response "well you just didn't want to like the movie anyway"

edit: Mad Max is simply a "I haven't gotten around to it" thing though