Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the "higher standard" is not simply taking their word for anything and that all laws apply to them extra-hard

"Your honor I believe that police officers, in their attempts to be like Judge Dredd, should be treated as such and held to the strictest standards. That's why I support the death penalty for any police officer who is found committing a crime while on duty."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

reminder: they are gonna walk again rofl

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
a well-deserved, overwhelming defeat for a corrupt and predatory federal government

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Evil Fluffy posted:

"Your honor I believe that police officers, in their attempts to be like Judge Dredd, should be treated as such and held to the strictest standards. That's why I support the death penalty for any police officer who is found committing a crime while on duty."

Uh, it's 20 years on Titan.

:goonsay:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/mblack0311_mark/status/839582328246542336
https://twitter.com/mblack0311_mark/status/839582388116045825
https://twitter.com/mblack0311_mark/status/839582438800011264
https://twitter.com/mblack0311_mark/status/839582486782889984

Mark McConnell was the informant who told the feds of the plan/route to John Day that ended up with Finicum getting shot, fwiw

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I hate twitter so much. This is worse than trying to read reddit. :bahgawd:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
LOL: https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/839659421290520576

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Are we ready for disappointment?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I look forward to another of these incidents happening with Trump in office as his response will definitely be rational and not either total agreement with the occupiers or ordering an immediately full scale assault on the compound.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

They actually took a full day to deliberate? That's good, right? I can't remember but I feel like the last one was them going into a room for an hour, and complaining that someone was being unreasonable and booting him out, then slapping down not guilty as soon as he was gone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Krinkle posted:

They actually took a full day to deliberate? That's good, right? I can't remember but I feel like the last one was them going into a room for an hour, and complaining that someone was being unreasonable and booting him out, then slapping down not guilty as soon as he was gone.

That was after like a week of deliberations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Uhm, a jury starting at 8 and leaving at 4:30 is pretty normal. My juries tended to start at 10 (because if you're not going to work, why wake up early) and ended at 4 (because after 4, you have to pay people OT). Yeah, you can deliberate later if you really, really want, to but it isn't encouraged, and if everyone had work paid jury duty, gently caress that.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Can one of our legal goons comment on why it's a bad idea to publicly talk about items in discovery?

https://twitter.com/ElaineSoCal/status/839347967882493952

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

I look forward to another of these incidents happening with Trump in office as his response will definitely be rational and not either total agreement with the occupiers or ordering an immediately full scale assault on the compound.

Trump will absolutely not respond to white people asserting their right to someone else's property.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

ScrubLeague posted:

Trump Bannon will absolutely not respond to white people asserting their right to someone else's property.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Evil Fluffy posted:

But the president is a white man again so why would they need to occupy somewhere else?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

calling it for a hung jury

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Second day of deliberations, nothing else to report.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Like we talked about last time, this is bad. It means at least one and probably more of the jurors want them to get off.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm going to be hopeful.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm going to be hopeful.

lol

Edit: Yes, me too. :(

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm going to be hopeful.

Can you describe this for me

I've forgotten what "hope" feels like

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/840287694211100676

https://twitter.com/conradjwilson/status/840287865267347456

TotalLossBrain has issued a correction as of 20:48 on Mar 10, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Who the gently caress voted Not Guilty for the firearms charge? Were the guns imaginary?

Also didn't Bundy admit to the conspiracy in the first place?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

So they convicted each defendant on at least one charge, and each charge got at least one conviction.

Interesting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I mean at least it's better than "I personally disagree with the law, therefore no crime was committed and you're all free to go", but still doesn't seem to match the facts of the case.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean at least it's better than "I personally disagree with the law, therefore no crime was committed and you're all free to go", but still doesn't seem to match the facts of the case.

“The truth is always somewhere in the middle.” :downs:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Who the gently caress voted Not Guilty for the firearms charge? Were the guns imaginary?

Proving that there were guns there is different from proving that this specific person had guns in his personal possession at the place. I'm guessing that's what the jury got hung up on.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

This is better than last time!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean, the event is stupidly well documented.

I am not familiar with the actions of those four specifically, but how could their not be evidence of them there with guns?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Platystemon posted:

I mean, the event is stupidly well documented.

I am not familiar with the actions of those four specifically, but how could their not be evidence of them there with guns?

juries are regular-rear end people

regular-rear end people are so loving stupid that we got president trump

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I agree with some of the commentators online that this was likely a "horse-trading" verdict- they literally split and traded charges to ensure that they were all found guilty of something, but not everything, regardless of the case, because there was someone being obstinate about something stupid (probably the conspiracy charge).

Still a massive improvement.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Haha: https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/840293302079442945

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

a well-deserved, mediocre defeat for a stupid and misguided group of rednecks

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Also this gem:

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/840302410530611200

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

My question is can the state now pursue Bundy for perjury? Can they flip some of these defendants on the others who walked?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

No, it it not fair.

Bundy got a better lawyer.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

My question is can the state now pursue Bundy for perjury? Can they flip some of these defendants on the others who walked?

I feel confused about your sidetext now. I have just learned that CSPAM/FYAD/YOSPOS are the non-grey forums.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chitoryu12 posted:

Bundy admitted to the conspiracy, but that may not have been enough to prove that each of these individuals was a party to the conspiracy. It looks like they considered the evidence for each charge for each defendant, which is what a jury is supposed to do.

It would have been more satisfying if they'd gone "all these guys are guilty as hell" but that also would have been really weird after the first trial's results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

I feel confused about your sidetext now. I have just learned that CSPAM/FYAD/YOSPOS are the non-grey forums.

BYOB too.