Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Last night Chaoshan Girl and I watched Arrival. I guess the Chinese subtitles I was able to get for it were good enough for her to understand, because my computer speakers were such poo poo that I missed probably 15% of what was said (and I could try to make up for it by looking at the subs).
I am glad China was written as being retarded and reactionary instead of pandering to them too much (though I was curious why there was such a focus on them and not other countries, so I imagine there was a pandering purpose to it). Even Ms. Chaoshan was annoyed with the Chinese in the movie, rather than being like "THIS IS PROPAGANDA TO HURT ARE FEELINGS."

The movie was okay. I love Sci-Fi and liked the movie, but it wasn't up to the intense hype I had heard about it. Maybe that's because my copy was visually poo poo and I could barely hear what was going on.

I was deeply disappointed that wasn't a sleeping road dog that he was able to maneuver around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Maybe naming your brand "I <3 My Puppy" isn't a great idea but I have to hand it to Japanese pet food companies that they have effective marketing. I bought our cat those Churu sticks just because of that stupid song from the commercial.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My local Chinese place is pretty authentic as these things go, at least I assume so based on the menu and clientele. Ordered spicy chicken tonight and they screwed it up. Mrs. P-Mack specifically asked for "regular spicy, not white people spicy," so I pick it up on my way home from work but when I get home and check the receipt it specifically says at the bottom "少辣 little spicy" and sure enough nary a peppercorn in sight.

So I go back and explain, and the owner takes it back no questions asked and after a few minutes of waiting comes back and hands the right order to me. So I'm glad, but in the back of my mind I'm saying "Wait a minute, I thought this place was authentic, but here they are accepting responsibility and immediately fixing the customer's problem without complaint or argument."

As it turns out they just reheated the same dish and gave it back to me with no corrections, properly assuming I wasn't going to bother coming back a third time, so my faith in them was restored.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

SHENZHEN TRIP REPORT
Street poo poo (animal) - some remnants where it was wiped off (or walked through, I suppose), 1 cat poo poo intact
Street poo poo (human): 0
Street shitters: 0
Staring: some light looking as I sat on a wall drinking beer, nobody stopped walking, all looked away when I met their eye
Smog: same as HK
Shouting: some near the border, seemed to be directed at customs officers. I may alsohave been HALLOd, I'm not sure. It was a HALLO LEI HO (like you get in a 711) by someone on a bike coming towards us, so maybe she was doing a "Coming through!" Or maybe she saw someone she knew, there were a lot of people. Normally I'd assume the worst in people but the Cantonese mixed in makes me unsure
Shoving: one lady tried to push on front of me on the mtr, but that happens in HK too, and it was only 1 person. Rush hours (morning and evening) overall more calm and organised and less pushy than HK
Service: great! One MTR guy came up to me to help, probably just because I looked lost, just after I crossed the border. He thought I was trying to cross into HK, but I just wanted a metro card. He pointed me the right way with a smile. Shop staff tolerant of my English and broken Cantonese, tried to understand and didn't just wave me away
Selection of booze: cheaper than HK, could also get a schwartzbeer from off licences, which was a welcome change from cheap lager
Street food: meat + stick + fire is always going to be good. Skewers and beer were meant to be together always. Dumplings with pork and pickled vegetables were good too.

SUMMARY: 11/10 WOULD SHEN AGAIN

simplefish fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 9, 2017

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

da mothafuckin share m0bile

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

simplefish posted:

SHENZHEN TRIP REPORT
Staring: some light looking as I sat on a wall drinking beer, nobody stopped walking, all looked away when I met their eye
Shouting: some near the border, seemed to be directed at customs officers. I may alsohave been HALLOd, I'm not sure. It was a HALLO LEI HO (like you get in a 711) by someone on a bike coming towards us, so maybe she was doing a "Coming through!" Or maybe she saw someone she knew, there were a lot of people. Normally I'd assume the worst in people but the Cantonese mixed in makes me unsure
Service: great! One MTR guy came up to me to help, probably just because I looked lost, just after I crossed the border. He thought I was trying to cross into HK, but I just wanted a metro card. He pointed me the right way with a smile. Shop staff tolerant of my English and broken Cantonese, tried to understand and didn't just wave me away

Were you bearded or clean-shaven? I'm trying to figure out what you'd have to do to in order to get the reactions that Haier does....maybe you need to look like Steve Buscemi?

Facebook Aunt posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/08/world/asia/china-trump-media-satire.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0
Legit mistake, or did they know it was satire and spread the story anyway to make Trump look foolish?
http://www.npr.org/2012/12/01/166293306/the-onion-so-funny-it-makes-us-cry

If satire had an Olympics, The Onion might have won a gold medal this week. The satirical news source announced that its Sexiest Man Alive for 2012 is Kim Jong Un, North Korea's Supreme Leader.
"With his devastatingly handsome, round face, his boyish charm, and his strong, sturdy frame, this Pyongyang-bred heartthrob is every woman's dream come true," the news service wrote below a photo that showed the 29-year-old leader in his high-collared, blue party suit — the Communist Party — on a reviewing stand.
But The Onion's ardor was so persuasive that the official Chinese People's Daily English language website not only ran the "Sexiest Man Alive" dispatch word-for-word, but added a 55-photo slideshow of Kim, riding a gray and white stallion and touring factories.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Fat Jesus posted:

should have known, joyful honda

e; I really want to know what it says and why the gently caress they call cat food puppy

I was looking at the Joyful Honda website to find more information and found out they have a mobile pet cremation service :stare:

what a job that must be...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

big time bisexual posted:

I was looking at the Joyful Honda website to find more information and found out they have a mobile pet cremation service :stare:

what a job that must be...

That screams yakuza body disposal to me.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Add one more warm body and you would have a Yakuza Boy band.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Mr. Nice! posted:

nice and discreet too

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

This is good but it would be better with the Lupin III theme.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
It was time for a new laptop and I actually ordered one last night (LOL, a GAMING one at that). I am not really a gamer, but love spacing out in GTA games, and have my fingers crossed about Skate 4 not being console exclusive (yeah right).
It arrived a few hours ago from the Shenzhen distribution center and I am sighing thinking of the headache I am going to have if I power it up and it's Windows 10 Home: Single-Language Edition. It's cool of Windows to create such a lovely option for an OS so people can't switch languages on the drat thing without paying Microsoft $99 USD.
Otherwise, if it's regular ole' Home Edition then I will get cracking on downloaded GTA 5 in Steam and playing that for the first time ever once it's installed after downloading for three straight days since Steam is slow as hell in my house.

P-Mack posted:

"regular spicy, not white people spicy,"
IMO, Chinese people are bigger babies about spicy food than most Europeans, but nobody has the Russians beat when it comes to spice intolerance and the associated superstitions (Chinese: "I get a herpes outbreak," to Russians: "Chilis cause cancer!"). If you're from the Americas, your basic level of spicy is probably getting near the high range of spicy for Chinese people. Sure, there are a few provinces that are proud of their using one/two types of boring peppers in their food, but the average Chinese can't even eat ginger without moaning about how bad it burns them.

simplefish posted:

Service: great! One MTR guy came up to me to help, probably just because I looked lost, just after I crossed the border. He thought I was trying to cross into HK, but I just wanted a metro card.
LOL, that's like a once in a lifetime thing right there. Cherish it.

LentThem posted:

Were you bearded or clean-shaven? I'm trying to figure out what you'd have to do to in order to get the reactions that Haier does....maybe you need to look like Steve Buscemi?
I honestly believe I have some sort of karma in China where people feel either threatened or curious about me in a way that doesn't apply to other people. It works well with the ladies, but I swear 90% of Chinese men hate me on first sight. I have never had such polar reaction in any other country I've been in.

EDIT: I shave twice a week.

Haier fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 9, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

It was time for a new laptop and I actually ordered one last night (LOL, a GAMING one at that). I am not really a gamer, but love spacing out in GTA games, and have my fingers crossed about Skate 4 not being console exclusive (yeah right).
It arrived a few hours ago from the Shenzhen distribution center and I am sighing thinking of the headache I am going to have if I power it up and it's Windows 10 Home: Single-Language Edition. It's cool of Windows to create such a lovely option for an OS so people can't switch languages on the drat thing without paying Microsoft $99 USD.

EDIT: I shave twice a week.

just in case:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812808

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Paladin posted:

This is good but it would be better with the Lupin III theme.

That sounds like it's anime so I'm gonna say no.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...70-284584397495
$$$$$$$

Fresh install with my own English Win10 is also possible, if I feel like it. I was going to order an English notebook from the US (using Chinese New Egg), and there's like $200 "foreign product" tax on it for weaker specs. I went full-China instead and end up saving money even if I have to spend for the OS.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The spice thing with russians is very true. When my wife first moved here the slightest dash of any sort of spice, levels an old white midwesterner wouldn't even notice, would have her grabbing water and saying she was surprised I made it so spicy.

Haier I wish you could some how film a typical day without people around you noticing, or have a crew film you secretly. I bet you could make top youtube pennies as some sort of china expat vlogger and the comments would be glorious.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I found out the other day that Lenovo is a Chinese company yet they once made a thing that actually wasn't poo poo?

IDGI

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812808#post470120850

links to

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31698742/how-to-change-windows-10-interface-language-on-single-language-version

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Baronjutter posted:

Haier I wish you could some how film a typical day without people around you noticing, or have a crew film you secretly. I bet you could make top youtube pennies as some sort of china expat vlogger and the comments would be glorious.

I have been saying for months we should pitch in for a go pro

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

I found out the other day that Lenovo is a Chinese company yet they once made a thing that actually wasn't poo poo?

IDGI

They had IBM or someone holding their hands for decades before IBM sold them the actual chinese branch.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BCR posted:

They had IBM or someone holding their hands for decades before IBM sold them the actual chinese branch.

Oh okay that makes sense

The old Thinkpad keyboard is IBM as gently caress

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Sheep-Goats posted:

IDGI

eh, you know, except for

http://thehackernews.com/2015/09/lenovo-laptop-virus.html

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

The spice thing with russians is very true. When my wife first moved here the slightest dash of any sort of spice, levels an old white midwesterner wouldn't even notice, would have her grabbing water and saying she was surprised I made it so spicy.

I told Chaoshan Girl that people stare at me and she didn't believe. Yesterday we went to Carrefour and she was like "What are they looking at??" and I told her "You, because you are with me, and now they are staring at you and judging what kind of person you are." This caused her to freak out and be 10 paces behind me so it didn't look like we were together. She then noticed all the old, dead eyes looking at me, or the old, saggy necks craning and for the first time ever she realized how much Chinese people stare at boring things.

I know. I am going to power it up after 4pm and see which version it. My palms are already sweaty in anticipation. My first non-netbook in a decade and I just want to jam on some <2015 AAA games. I never played Dark Souls or The Witcher or anything.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

I know. I am going to power it up after 4pm and see which version it. My palms are already sweaty in anticipation. My first non-netbook in a decade and I just want to jam on some <2015 AAA games. I never played Dark Souls or The Witcher or anything.

for real tho, just downloading the english version and installing it with your key should work, if there's not a language option when you boot up for the first time

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I'm pretty sure every company has this stuff embedded on their machines, just the Chinese mfg is sloppy enough to leave it visible.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

I told Chaoshan Girl that people stare at me and she didn't believe. Yesterday we went to Carrefour and she was like "What are they looking at??" and I told her "You, because you are with me, and now they are staring at you and judging what kind of person you are." This caused her to freak out and be 10 paces behind me so it didn't look like we were together. She then noticed all the old, dead eyes looking at me, or the old, saggy necks craning and for the first time ever she realized how much Chinese people stare at boring things.

The first two Witchers are skippable, the third one looks pretty good but I haven't played it.

Demon's, Dark Souls and DS2 (and probably DS3) are some of the best games ever made. Get Wulf's Connectivity Mod for Dark Souls otherwise you'll never get to mess around with the coop stuff which is pretty cool.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Witcher 2 is good, the third is legendary. Easily the best game of the last decade.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

JaucheCharly posted:

Witcher 2 is good, the third is legendary. Easily the best game of the last decade.

I wouldn't go that far..I spent a shitload more time playing skyrim...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JaucheCharly posted:

Demon's Souls is the best game of the last decade m'lady.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

:wrong:

Stardew Valley is the game of the decade.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
seems legit

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Facebook Aunt posted:

:wrong:

Stardew Valley is the game of the decade.

You can't marry Asians in SV, though.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Both The Witcher 3 and Demon's Souls are incredible, but we all know Morrowind is the true China video game.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

WarpedNaba posted:

You can't marry Asians in SV, though.

Stardew Valley has four seasons, ergo it is set in Korea. Checkmate.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paladin posted:

:master:

Can't argue with that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Paladin posted:

Fuuuuuuck.

KillingPablo
Apr 5, 2003

WHOO! I am DEFINITELY not afraid of the fucking POLICE right now!

Haier posted:

IMO, Chinese people are bigger babies about spicy food than most Europeans, but nobody has the Russians beat when it comes to spice intolerance and the associated superstitions (Chinese: "I get a herpes outbreak," to Russians: "Chilis cause cancer!"). If you're from the Americas, your basic level of spicy is probably getting near the high range of spicy for Chinese people. Sure, there are a few provinces that are proud of their using one/two types of boring peppers in their food, but the average Chinese can't even eat ginger without moaning about how bad it burns them.

While they can be babies about it, a lot of Chinese people are absolutely convinced they have the spiciest food in the world and refuse to believe that a foreigner can eat it. I mean, they literally act like Chinese are a separate species who are able to digest spicy food while Westerners will just burst into flames (actually that explains the whole "TCM only works if you're Chinese" thing people keep telling me). I've got a pretty high tolerance to spiciness and have managed to surprise quite a few people, and my wife's father always tries to compete with me when it comes to eating spicy dishes.

That said, my family lives in South Carolina right next to where they grow carolina reapers, which is currently listed as the hottest pepper in the world. On my last visit home I brought several bottles of hot sauce with me back to Beijing, and upon telling a coworker about it, he promptly claimed that there was no way some pathetic American pepper could compare to Chinese spice. I gave him a bottle to try at lunch, and he proceeded to absolutely douse a dumpling with the hot sauce. I told him not to eat it, he used way too much, but this was his chance to show me up and make Mao proud.

Idiot drat near went to the hospital, but did end up on his hands and knees throwing up while crying like a baby. He's since casually joked that I tried to poison him, but bringing it up tends to get him laughed around the office.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i cannot handle spice, lactose, or alcohol. this means i am the superior race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

LentThem posted:

i cannot handle spice, lactose, or alcohol. this means i am the superior race

I can't handle being out in the sun or I turn all pink and blotchy. Clearly the superior one

• Locked thread