Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

freebooter posted:

Doing a no powers run is way easier than I thought, although I imagine doing a no powers/no detection playthrough or a no powers/clean hands playthrough would be a nightmare.

I'm halfway through my No Powers/No Kills/Ghost playthrough and it's not as much of a nightmare as you might think.
It would be a nightmare if quicksave wasn't a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
No sane person has done any kind of Ghost run without having to rely heavily on save-scumming.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

IMJack posted:

My only complaint about the clockwork mansion is that Jindosh's body is putzing around like an oblivious NPC while his voice wants you to believe he's staring at his instruments following your every move. Like when he quips about you encountering the clockwork soldiers for the first time when the ones in his chamber spot you, but Jindosh's body doesn't react at all.

Turns out they're actually just recordings, ain't nobody got time to observe every adventurer in their home.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

Doing a no powers run is way easier than I thought, although I imagine doing a no powers/no detection playthrough or a no powers/clean hands playthrough would be a nightmare.

Also, you know the bit on the way to the conservatory where a guard is talking to a maid on a rooftop, and the maid hasn't stolen the silver cigarette case she wanted, so she kicks her off the building? I passed it this time and the conversation seemed to be taking a different tone, and then the guard said "I'll always protect you" or something and they hugged and left. It's low chaos, but I'm sure I've done it before on low chaos and seen her kill the maid.

I wonder what triggers that, when I came across this scene I was half expecting the guard to kill the civilian but she didn't do it (that run I killed no one but the guard captain).

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Turns out they're actually just recordings, ain't nobody got time to observe every adventurer in their home.

We're talking about a guy who recorded a robot error message for when one of them finds his own body

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

orcane posted:

I wonder what triggers that, when I came across this scene I was half expecting the guard to kill the civilian but she didn't do it (that run I killed no one but the guard captain).

I recall somebody else saying that early on in the game, when you get to the Overseer building, if it's low chaos they'll be standing outside preaching about the dangers of runes and bonecharms, whereas if it's high chaos the whole place is shut up and they're patrolling with heavy weaponry.

But I've gone past there on an absolute high chaos murder literally everyone spree, and they were still standing there preaching.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Level changes are definitely more elaborate than they were in the original game, where low chaos got you low chaos levels and high chaos got you high chaos levels.

There's a Howler ambush at the Black Market shop in the Grand Palace mission, and it can be there on both high and low chaos, but sometimes it's not there on low chaos. I think it's either dependent on some specific objective resolutions, like how you handle the Howlers in Dust District, or just generally doing low chaos resolutions to mission objectives, or there's like a hidden variant of low chaos where you have to be on really, really low chaos to get the partying civilians there instead.

And speaking of ambushes, I really appreciate that you can bypass the elevator and its associated basement witch surprise in the final mission entirely. Jessamine's secret passage is still where it was in the original game and it leads right up to the top. I don't think there are any hints pointing towards it, you just have to know where it is.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Tunahead posted:

There's a Howler ambush at the Black Market shop in the Grand Palace mission, and it can be there on both high and low chaos, but sometimes it's not there on low chaos.

pretty sure this is based on you robbing (or burgling) the other pawn shops

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah all reports I read imply that - if you robbed pawn shops, they're waiting for you. Unfortunately if that happens, you're not gonna see the musicians in the back alley either :(

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Howler ambush in the Palace level happens if you rob more than one black market shop. It'll void the musicians achievement too since they won't appear there.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
That's a dick thing to do too, because there's no good reason to not rob the stores.

Them attacking you on sight is kind of bullshit too if you ask me, when there's no way they can know it was you.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah it's seriously stretching my suspension of disbelief past breaking point that a violent street gang would suddenly attack the only disguised person in all of Karnaca just because they suddenly materialized out of an amorphous writhing mass near the only unrobbed Black Market store in the kingdom and started taking everything that isn't nailed down.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

Hank Morgan posted:

We're talking about a guy who recorded a robot error message for when one of them finds his own body

Uhm is that really in the game? I can't believe I missed this.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I just finished what I guess is my fourth playthrough, which have gone in this order:

1. Corvo, regular trial-and-error first time playthrough
2. Emily, nonlethal
3. Corvo, Angry Murder Dad Massacre Everybody And Seize Throne
4. Emily, no powers and non-lethal as much as possible (except witches, gently caress them)

It's crazy how even on the fourth time through I've discovered stuff I never realised, like how you can bypass the power room entirely in the palace by pulling a lamp and going through Jessamine's secret room.

I started doing a fifth run to see how fast I can do it and it's also crazy - when you compare it to your first cautious, sneaking about, looking at things playthrough - how open this game is to speedrunning, since the areas are so tiny. I think I was in and out of the Clockwork Mansion in five minutes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I started playing Deus Ex MD after finishing this and hold poo poo the stealthy movement feels so clumsy after this, even powers aside.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
This is a very good stealth game. Deus ex doesn't specifically target stealth as much as dishonored does.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

freebooter posted:

I started doing a fifth run to see how fast I can do it and it's also crazy - when you compare it to your first cautious, sneaking about, looking at things playthrough - how open this game is to speedrunning, since the areas are so tiny. I think I was in and out of the Clockwork Mansion in five minutes.

The first sequence in this video comes to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWSIHC2lvn4

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
That's amazing. Welcome to the final mystery Jindosh

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

GotLag posted:

The first sequence in this video comes to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWSIHC2lvn4

That first one is my favourite but the quickest is to summon a doppleganger and domino them through the door

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm on the fence as to which is the best counter-kill in the Dishonored series: is it kicking Jindosh's balls up into his chest or is it stabbing Havelock in the arm and twisting your sword so he shoots himself in the face?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I just started this... didnt play the first game. Man, I'm terrible at this. On mission 2 and just keep getting my rear end handed to me. I cant seem to sneak for poo poo either.

I almost feel like quitting but know theres a good game here.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Krime posted:

I just started this... didnt play the first game. Man, I'm terrible at this. On mission 2 and just keep getting my rear end handed to me. I cant seem to sneak for poo poo either.

what difficulty are you playing on, and what precisely are you having trouble with? like, which objective?

talking through a few problems will probably help the larger issue you're having.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Krime posted:

You'll probably want to turn down the difficulty. The awareness of the guards on the middle difficulties is comparable to the highest difficulty in the expansion for the last game. (I might just suck real bad, but for some reason I got my rear end beat hard in the first couple missions of Dishonored 2, and that was like a day after finishing Brigmore Witches on Master Assassin. It might've been me getting used to the quirks and feel of the new (upgraded?) engine, but man, I sucked shameful.)

But that aside, if you want some tips on stealth, the best things I can say:
stay well above and away from your enemies - using your zoom to listen in to their conversations - and pick them off when you're ready.

Groups will tend to split off and you can take them out one at a time until you get some upgraded powers, then you can deal with whole groups at once in funmurder ways, like using domino to link four people together, then freezing time when someone shoots a gun at you, then possessing that person, then walking that person in front of the bullet they shot, forcing them to kill themselves and their three other friends when you've unfrozen time

Blink or far reach your way out of trouble as often as you can, because it's awesome and fun.

But in short, until you get a feel for the controls and how the powers can work together, you're going to be frail. The game really shines once you feel it out.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Huh - only just realised your first assassination target (as you're escaping Dunwall tower, that nobody guard you can chuck in the secret chamber) is voiced by Sam Rockwell.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

3Romeo posted:

It might've been me getting used to the quirks and feel of the new (upgraded?) engine, but man, I sucked shameful.)

The old game was on Unreal Tech 3, the new one is based largely on iD Tech 5. ZeniMax may have put pressure to use it, I dunno

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah they did. They're pushing all of their devs to use iD Tech.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Seems like a good call, rage and dishonored 2 had no technical issues whatsoever after all

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I finally got around to starting the DLC for Dishonored 1 last night, and I love some of the little character bits they have in there. In the first mission, I knocked out the evil slaughterhouse boss and talked to the union lady he was interrogating, left to go explore the rest of the slaughterhouse... and came back to find a screwdriver jammed neatly into the back of his skull with the union lady saying something like "gosh, maybe you were a little rough with him..."

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
That part in the slaughterhouse is very well done. I love that there are so many ways you can handle that scenario.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just started on the second mission last night, and man, they loving doing the "people talking about how %player character% is probably watching them right now while you're watching them" thing.

It's kind of weird though how everyone seems to know Daud and is not surprised when he shows up.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
In... 1? Daud is a relatively infamous criminal I think. As shown by him getting hired to kill the queen.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I have the weirdest problem with this game. I try to launch it, and it comes up as "Running" in steam, and appears briefly in the task manager before just... disappearing before it actually launches. I've tried everything I can think of, restarting steam, restarting PC, verifying game files, reinstalling game completely, updating drivers, running as administrator, and it's still not working.
It's doubly weird as well because it was working fine before, it just suddenly doesn't for no reason.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
daud has a loving super hero nickname in 1 so yeah people are pretty familiar with his poo poo at this point

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Thanks for the tips earlier... I just made it through the Clockwork Castle.

Turns out getting more abilities helps!

The game feels very Bioshocky to me... any connections?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Krime posted:

There might be one or two references (these sorts of games - i.e., spiritual or direct successors to early 2000's classics, e.g., Bioshock/System Shock/Prey, Thief/Dishonored, Deus Ex and...Deus Ex - are incestuous with allusions to each other) but there's no direct story tie-in or anything.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Does the game throw more guards at you if detected and they start to fight?

Seems that way.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I don't know if it's always or depending on the area, but yes. You can change it in the custom difficulty settings too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Krime posted:

Does the game throw more guards at you if detected and they start to fight?

Seems that way.

If a guard succeeds in sounding the alarm, it spawns more guards.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Krime posted:

The Clockwork Mansion is cool but I think Stilton's House is more fascinating. It'll gently caress with your head more and that's kinda fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr.Smasher posted:

The Clockwork Mansion is cool but I think Stilton's House is more fascinating. It'll gently caress with your head more and that's kinda fun.

I had far more trouble trying to keep the moving parts of the mansion straight than I did Stilton's manor, which I found pretty straightforward. The only thing I had any issue with was having to scare the workers away to make a window not be repaired which I discovered accidentally. Both were really neat changes to the standard gameplay, Stilton's especially.

• Locked thread