Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sure, the frame rate plummets when there are lots of enemies on screen or you're opening up a treasure chest with all the glowy particle effects. But the latest defense is that it's Intentional For Dramatic Effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Pick posted:

I don't buy or play video games and so my nerd disposable income actually makes an occasional purchase like this possible. Games are expensive, man.

I disagree, I think gaming is actually a very cheap hobby, especially if you can wait a few months for hot releases to cool down. The cost per hour of entertainment is stupidly good.

My cheapest hobby for sure. *looks at collection musical instruments*

One day I'll finish a project using all the cool gear I've amassed :sigh:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
List of hobbies in descending order of cost:

Bikes
Photography
Motorcycle
Gaming
Grilling

So yeah, laying around gaming while eating meat is pretty cheap.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

treiz01 posted:

I'm not buying a Switch because it's an underdone mess. And the game having low and inconsistent framerate is definitely going to interfere with gameplay. I never said it had to be 60fps, but not even 1080p 30fps? In 2017?

YMMV, but I've played Zelda for over 20 hours at this point and beaten 2 dungeons. I've had 3, maybe 4 framerate dips so far. They're all when the game is rendering too much foliage. Hasn't caused an issue with game play.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm glad I didn't get the switch at launch. I was heavily tempted but the Nintedo Way is alive and well, I see. I mean a plastic screen? Nah son I don't play like dat, not in 2017

I'll wait a few months for the kinks to get worked out/library to get nice and meaty. For now 3DS is still very cool and fun

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
More money than sense but it looks loving cool on my wall and should pay for itself eventually.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sure, the frame rate plummets when there are lots of enemies on screen or you're opening up a treasure chest with all the glowy particle effects. But the latest defense is that it's Intentional For Dramatic Effect

What was the framerate on my first handheld video game console?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Bottom Liner posted:

Firearms
Bikes
Photography
Motorcycle
Gaming
Grilling

Fixed this one for you.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Fozaldo posted:

More money than sense but it looks loving cool on my wall and should pay for itself eventually.

I had no interest and held out for a couple years, and even passed on a free one a friend who works for them offered me. My girlfriend moved in and really wanted one, so I relented.

It's awesome. It's so, so good. Not only are my bills very noticeably smaller, I can turn the AC/heater on and off from my phone while in bed, instead of having to get up. It enables me to be so lazy and I love it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I just leave mine at a comfortable temperature and never have to adjust. I don't get it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They probably live in places that get really cold. The weather here is pretty much the same all year so I never touch it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Something like in metal slug games (especially later ones) the slowdown is basically required to keep the difficulty at a sane level? They embraced the slowdown.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I bought the new phone on which I am typing this post. An LG V20. I like it.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

I just leave mine at a comfortable temperature and never have to adjust. I don't get it.

Do you leave it set at the same temp when no one's home 8 hours/day? I have a couple Nests and don't think they're that great. A dumb programmable thermostat can do most of what they do if you're willing to spend time setting up the schedule in a lovely UI. But there's still a huge convenience and energy bill difference between leaving your house at seventy or whatever 24/7/365 and being able to tap around in a decent app to do poo poo like "during the summer set to 78 at 8:30a when I leave for work and start cooling to 72 at 5:30p so it's cool when I get home from work and at midnight when I go to bed drop to 70 but if I want to go to bed early and walk by the motion sensor in the bedroom before midnight go ahead and start cooling but on the weekends I sleep in so...".

The best things about it are the motion sensor (which is contingent on thermostat placement) and the ability to set AWAY mode from your phone when you go on vacation and realize that your empty house is being heated/cooled.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I turn it up a few degress but yeah, I've always read that that's the most energy efficient as opposed to starting over from having it completely off all day.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I got curious and did some googling and couldn't find a straightforward answer but the gist seems to be that if you have a fairly modern house that's fairly well insulated and a fairly efficient HVAC system; it's more efficient and cheaper to program than to leave it at a constant temperature. This may not apply if you have geothermal heating or live in a weird climate or...

I don't have any hard data to back it up and don't know if my energy rates have changed but I'm pretty sure the Nests knocked something like 15-30% off my energy/gas bill.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I have an older programmable thermostat and spent an hour setting up this fancy schedule that would drop it to 68 at night, up to 70 during the days I'm off and 77 when I was working and I guess they didn't install the batteries correctly and lost all the settings in a power outage a couple of months later. That was 4 years ago and while I can't be certain because I've made other changes I keep it at 69 now, our bill runs ~$20 cheaper when it's hot than when it was cycling temps. We're lucky because we're on the first floor of a duplex and the upstairs unit absorbs most of the heat. Also, I think the biggest savings is the "circulate air" mode that our a/c has where it will randomly turn on just the fan to circulate air randomly. I don't know if that's a common feature now but the a/c we had for the first couple of years here didn't have it and it makes a huge difference as to how much the actual a/c runs. It goes through filters faster but it's kinda like having a ceiling fan in every room.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lawen posted:

I got curious and did some googling and couldn't find a straightforward answer but the gist seems to be that if you have a fairly modern house that's fairly well insulated and a fairly efficient HVAC system; it's more efficient and cheaper to program than to leave it at a constant temperature. This may not apply if you have geothermal heating or live in a weird climate or...

I don't have any hard data to back it up and don't know if my energy rates have changed but I'm pretty sure the Nests knocked something like 15-30% off my energy/gas bill.

The Nest thermostats also measure how long it takes for the house to change temperature when idle, heating, or cooling, and get a measure of how efficient the system is and how insulated your house is vs the current outdoor temperature.

This lets them build up the most efficient pattern for running the heating/cooling, and you can boost that more by programming in 'home' hours or letting it track resident locations via their phones. This is their advantage vs 'programmable' thermostats, though others in the industry (ecobee?) do the same types of things.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought some basil fried rice because I was feeling really lovely and guess what?
I feel a little less lovely.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

I bought some basil fried rice because I was feeling really lovely and guess what?
I feel a little less lovely.

Sounds like you didn't get it spicy enough.

I went to Home Depot and bought 20 yard waste bags because I'm going to be selling my house soon and I spent the last ten years not raking the leaves in the back yard.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Grabbing a few items I was missing from my kitchen

Smashing meat to a uniform thickness is underappreciated in the home kitchen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Can't you just use a rolling pin

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Mu Zeta posted:

It's less efficient/satisfying. And with the textured face of the mallet you can create small perforations in the meat, allowing any breading or coating to stick better.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

strangemusic posted:

Things I would care about as a potential Switch buyer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

Those are all bad but they put the USB charge port on the bottom of the console so you can't stand it up whilst charging :psyduck:

edit: also lol at Nintendo saying put up or shut up with dead pixels.

Frankston has a new favorite as of 11:57 on Mar 9, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bottom Liner posted:

Bikes
Photography
Motorcycle
Gaming
Grilling

Tools (eg woodworking and fixing poo poo)
Motorcycles
Guitars and pedals
Backpacking
Building electronics/Arduino
Bikes
Gaming

Yup, relatively speaking, gaming is pretty much at the bottom of the list. Firearms woulda been at the top, but I've basically gotten rid of everything since the whole culture and opinions on all sides are lovely and toxic. Busting clays used to be so much fun :(

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I spend the same amount on a game that I'll play for 100+ hours as I do for one round of golf that lasts for 3.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This isn't true at all. Like the other poster said on this page, I have put 20+ hours into the game and noticed one or two frame rate drops total, and they were negligible.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

RCarr posted:

This isn't true at all. Like the other poster said on this page, I have put 20+ hours into the game and noticed one or two frame rate drops total, and they were negligible.

Given we just talked about the frame hitch (it's not on treasure chests) like a page ago I suspect he's just trying to start poo poo.

Edit: or own those deluded Nintendo fanboys. I'd actually forgotten console warriors still exist.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bought a patch for my backpack. Autist or edgelord, you decide!

Also bought a shitload of delicious szechuan food and had a feast with some friends last night.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lawen posted:

It can be both.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Lawen posted:

Also bought a shitload of delicious szechuan food and had a feast with some friends last night.

I need to put one of these on my office door.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, but I don't bake often enough to need a rolling pin. I do cook meat on a regular basis though, thus, the meat mallet.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm not trying to start poo poo about the Switch. In the past 10 pages of this thread, someone literally said the slowdown was for dramatic effect and has been a part of every Zelda game ever.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Uniqlo Dry Stretch Long Sleeve Full-Zip Hoodie, in black, size M:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

djfooboo posted:

Smashing meat to a uniform thickness is underappreciated in the home kitchen.

My brother got me this for christmas one year and it owns to beat your meat

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm not trying to start poo poo about the Switch. In the past 10 pages of this thread, someone literally said the slowdown was for dramatic effect and has been a part of every Zelda game ever.

Guys, did you know that a chugging framerate is dramatic slowdown

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Gotta keep the moose sticker though.

I took it off, and found I now have the outline of two mooses loving burnt into my turntable.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'd actually forgotten console warriors still exist.

I'm not a console warrior so much as a disappointed fanboy. I own a Wii U for gods sakes. I was really excited about the Switch and it's a bummer that Nintendo seems to have cheaped out in a lot of its construction.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Got a ticket to see Shonen Knife in May. They were here in 2014 much to my surprise. It was at a small venue with maybe 100 people showing up. So, I was pleasantly surprised to see them come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm with prom candy. I was really hoping they'd pull it off but the skimping out on some stuff was very disappointing.

I was ready to get my switch on but instead I'll get a PS4 slim, gotta get ready for persona 5