Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm away from my Switch right now. Can the pro Controller work in Desktop mode? Or does it require communication with the dock or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mahoning posted:

Just found another benefit to the Switch. We had like 50 mph winds here today and after work I was playing BotW and the power went out. I just grabbed it right out of the dock and kept playing.

Dude it was crazy today!! My powers out right now and I have Zelda on Wii u. Lmao until tomorrow..

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

babypolis posted:

Even after 4 years I still dont understand what the Wii U gimmick is. What the gently caress is that tablet for

Anything that had asymmetrical multiplayer gameplay was pretty good. Nintendo Land with Luigi's Mansion and Mario Run were incredibly fun to play. ZombiU had a really good. Wii Party U had some fun mini games that used it well. And.... that's about it. I thought the integration in the Batman Arkham games was really slick, where I played Arkham Knight on the PS4 and really missed not having the game pad to navigate the map and put up waypoints.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The gamepad had potential, but even Nintendo barely used the feature, which makes you wonder why they bothered in the first place. The switch incorporated and improved upon the major thing the gamepad was ultimately used for.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah when we first got Wii U it seemed cool to be able to play console power games on a handheld but the signal didn't even reach my bedroom so I was like well what's the point

This is way cool now

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Feenix posted:

I'm away from my Switch right now. Can the pro Controller work in Desktop mode? Or does it require communication with the dock or something?

I used it in desktop mode just fine.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Feenix posted:

yes they showed it being used back at the switch reveal back in October (they were getting ready for their splatoon match)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just got the PDP Joycon soft grips with the extra comfort booty at the bottom and I can highly recommend. They make handheld so much better.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

koolkal posted:

Which is a real problem that no one seems to ever point out

The whole point of this gimmick switch thing is that it docks and gets a boost in specs to better support a tv screen instead of a small tablet

Except that even nintendo themselves couldnt figure out how to make a small res bump from 720p to 900p work without the framerate stuttering at sub-30 fps

It's the same dumb stuff that made the ps4 pro a joke at release where the ENHANCED versions of games were shittier than the old ones

What's even the point of having 2 sets of specs if there's no real difference between them? When the more powerful version is actually a shittier experience?

But I'm expecting the switchsquad to roll in and tell me that sub-30 fps stuttering is only a problem for the turbonerds and 15fps is all everyone needs

People just play the games, and enjoy them. It's really that simple.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Consummate Professional posted:

I like the switch and I bet they just dicked up some optimization? Oh well maybe it can be patched.

They were too ambitious having every drat blade of grass adhere to the physics and lighting engines. It's what we get for habitually ruining grass and plants in Zelda games for nearly the past 30 years. Ironically, there's like no point in cutting the grass now. It's just there to gently caress up the frame rate. Oh, and to stand up to Link's head so you can't see poo poo thru your Sheikah Viewfinder Thing. Savage grass.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 9, 2017

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

ChocNitty posted:

And man, what games

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ChocNitty posted:

Dude's trying to relive the xbone glory days with a good system. Shameful.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

enojy posted:

Ironically, there's like no point in cutting the grass now. It's just there to gently caress up the frame rate.
Cutting grass exposes lizards and crickets and faeries and stuff. It's way useful

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I do have to say the eShop page for the switch is so sad right now since when I looked it was literally one page each of "New Releases" and "Coming Soon" which made me :smith: but as a Zelda machine it's fine for me right now

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

koolkal posted:

And man, what games

you got a youtube channel?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

enojy posted:

Ironically, there's like no point in cutting the grass now.

certain animals used for materials pop out that way

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

certain animals used for materials pop out that way

And rice too.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

koolkal posted:

And man, what games
you can troll better than this

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

koolkal posted:

And man, what games
Please don't disparage 2017 goty Snapperclaps

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

As a controller the Wii U pad was trash. Pretty much had to go Pro controller.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

I liked the gamepad. No complaints here; in fact, I loved the thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

And rice too.

can you tell me whereabouts to look for that? I need more rice.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wiltsghost posted:

I disagree. I loved using it, and only bought a pro controller because I was afraid of being too rough on it during Smash. The pro controller also owns, however.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

can you tell me whereabouts to look for that? I need more rice.

I'm not 100% on this, but It seems to happen in grass near bodies of water.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm not 100% on this, but It seems to happen in grass near bodies of water.

thanks.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

a.lo posted:

I liked the gamepad. No complaints here; in fact, I loved the thing.

I just couldn't get used to it. Hands aren't big enough.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

a.lo posted:

you got a youtube channel?

No, signing up for websites and posting on forums is a pain using a controller.

Maybe you could get his info through PMs and use your mouse and keyboard on your high-end PC and 1080p capable monitor to make a YouTube channel for known console warrior, koolkal.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvPeDqxLNKo

Anyone use the grips at 2:10? They look really comfy.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvPeDqxLNKo

Anyone use the grips at 2:10? They look really comfy.

This is my youtube channel

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
So my HHGregg Switch order (placed on Saturday) has still not shipped. Anyone in this thread have recent success with this now-bankrupt retailer?

Milosh posted:

HH Gregg cancelled my switch order and went bankrupt. Haven't refunded my debit card yet #fun. Where should I try to get a switch?

gently caress!

CDHiggs fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 9, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

koolkal posted:

This is my youtube channel

Impossible. UAC gave the Switch a rating of "Dope", not "Nope".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hey were some of you looking for a stand?

(source: http://imgur.com/a/j1SFp)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Argue posted:

Hey were some of you looking for a stand?

(source: http://imgur.com/a/j1SFp)

lol

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

koolkal posted:

And man, what games

I can't speak for other people, but for myself, Breath Of The Wild of course, and Fast RMX, and i'm still on the fence about Shovel Knight. Just Zelda alone will easily last me until the end of next month when Mario Kart 8 comes out. I'm still dicking around in the great plateau. My XB1 and PS4 get the most use at home. The Switch is primarily my handheld gaming device, and my travel console. I take uber, bus, and train rides, and stay in motels and visit family out of state pretty often, so thats when the Switch gets to shine.

Mario Kart will entertain me indefinitely. I racked up an online multiplayer record of about 890 wins and 40 losses on Mario Kart DS. I mastered the technique of snaking, and I was so good that I had to use a tactic where I would let the other player be ahead of me for 80% of the race, and then I would pass them at the end and win, otherwise I would be miles ahead of them during the whole race, and they would always quit the match and I would not get the win on my record. I can't wait to play it on the pro controller, and do local 2 player split screen.

As far as i'm concerned, Zelda and Mario Kart alone are worth the price of admission, for me. But of course i'm going to be getting many of the anticipated titles. Mario Odyssey, Splatton 2, Puyo Puyo Tetris, NBA2k18, Fifa, Skyrim, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and some of the indie titles too. If there are weeks or months between their releases, that's perfectly fine with me. My backlog of games is ridiculous.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 9, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

anyone playing Fast RMS handheld notice that the LHS joycon vibrates super-nosily, sometimes?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Someone needs to make one of those mounts they have for cameras, but for the switch. The ones where the legs are a bunch of balls, and you can contort them so they grab on to anything.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

well why not posted:

anyone playing Fast RMS handheld notice that the LHS joycon vibrates super-nosily, sometimes?

I assumed it was intentional. Dunno though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm glad my Kid Icarus stand is finally getting some use.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's just so weird to be on a Nintendo console which has zero Mario themed content available outside of the user icons. Not even gutter-trash NSMB yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Arrrggghhh I hate that the left stick button can be activated if a butterfly farts on it. I've had so many deaths in Zelda from accidentally crouching when trying to lock on and run away from enemies, particularly those drat guardians that laser you

Also I have a serious compulsion in cutting every single drat blade of grass. I get all tense and stuff if there's more than like 30% of it left. Of course, that's mostly in the Hatano/Kakariko areas where insects/fairies/rice/lizards are very prevalent. I was mowing around the cliffs of Quince/Marblod plain and got a shitton of rice there

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 9, 2017

• Locked thread