Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Honky Dong Country posted:

Conclave was never poo poo. Some people are huge babies about it due to interaction with vassals being more complicated, shattered retreat (which is nbd and can even be turned off), and defensive pacts (also nbd can can be turned off lol).

I did not like it until I figured out how to manipulate the council and that I can make that one guy that I can't kill off for whatever reason completely impotent by giving him a council position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Council was always a pain in the rear end, but Conclave makes it a pain in the rear end and also an interesting game system with difficult decisions and trade-offs, where before it was just tedious. It's good DLC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sunset Invasion is more or less pointless, but is such a fun idea and riles up the spergs so much that I never play without it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Is there anything else I can do with Esoteric Knowledge? I've got like 12k of it saved up, I'm the head of the Order and a Maga. I'm not depressed, I already wrote a Magnum Opus, I'm happy with my field of study, and all of my children have great horoscopes. Other than spamming Scry, what else can I spend this stuff on?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

That's only the case under absolute rule. An empowered council has an advisor seat for kings, and two for emperors. The number of powerful vassals is always the maximum number of voting seats (including advisor slot/s whether you have empowered council or not) minus 1. Keeping your powerful vassals on the council is a great way to keep them pretty happy, and if you go so far as to give them war declaration powers they can't join factions unless discontent. There's incentive to give the council some power and playing politics to get them to do what you want.

Personally, I almost never use absolute rule anymore. It's not hard to wrangle an empowered council into doing what you want and the benefit of them being unable to join factions is extremely handy.

It gives you more demense slots though.

Skwirl posted:

I meant they thought the opposite, that illegitimate bastards were coming back pretending to be you.

Oh, maybe. I dunno, the event's fired twice and nothing really happened.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Becoming High Priest of Satan was fun, but I'm not sure this expansion was worth fifteen euros.

Yeah it doesn't seem as feature rich as past dlcs

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Cythereal posted:

Sunset Invasion is more or less pointless, but is such a fun idea and riles up the spergs so much that I never play without it.
That's kind of odd decision-making for what you use in your own game that nobody sees or cares about.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like Sunset invasion but I kind of wish they'd be updated to use horde mechanics, or at least had some kind of block in place to prevent them from just immediately converting to Christianity after taking a couple counties and then just sitting there forever with their attrition-free stacks of 100k troops.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The eu4 maps symbols are a godsend. Glad they are now in.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

spectralent posted:

EDIT: Unrelatedly is there any way I can stop having kids? My immortal god-empress has now had like forty and it's starting to get a bit hard to manage the family tree screen.

If you can join the Dominicans, I think the second level of membership lets you make a pledge of Chastity (which you can then renounce if you want).

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Just lol if you take a vow of chastity while your wife is still of childbearing age

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
It's a shame unholy impregnation doesn't work if a fire demon eats your penis.

It's a good thing The Satan can just grow me a new one! :gizz:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

spectralent posted:

My major issue with defensive pacts is the multicultural thing. Why do Christians care that I wiped some pagans off the map?

EDIT: Like right now I'm waiting for 448 months because I vassalised some other norse guys, and almost literally the entire world has joined a defensive pact over that. Why?

Because you're uniting a previously chaotic Pagan land into a unified, threatening Pagan powerhouse that's likely to start raiding/invading their non-Pagan neighbours soon.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Presenting Badshah Amr and the Nizzid (HRE) Empire:

I just happened to notice this in my Leon game that I've been playing. Somehow, the crown of the HRE was inherited by a Sunni Muslim by the name of Amr.

And yes, this isn't the result of conquest. The HRE history lists it as a legitimate inheritance.

At first I thought this was some sort of glitch. The former ruler of the HRE wasn't a Muslim. His parents weren't Muslim. Somehow this random Muslim managed to inherit the HRE.

It took me a while before I pieced together what probably happened. His Christian mother had claims on some Muslim provinces in Iberia. I looked at the title history for her claims, and it turns out she had conquered the land from the Muslims in a holy war. Shortly before Amr was born, the Muslims reconquered the land in another holy war and his mother became unlanded. I assume she stayed in the Iberian courts during Amr's childhood, and at some point, young Amr secretly converted to Islam while professing to still be Catholic.

What happened next was sheer luck. Although Poppo (the former emperor of the HRE) and Amr are different dynasties, they're actually related. Their grandfather is Baldrich Salian. Poppo had no children or brothers, so the line moved on to Baldrich's second child, his daughter. Unfortunately, his daughter had only daughters, so the line moved on to Baldrich's third child, Amr's father. For reasons unknown, Amr's father matrilineally married into the Nizzid house, and their first child was Amr. Thus, he gained the throne of the HRE

From there, I can only imagine Amr's joy. Finally in a position of power, the emperor of the largest known country in the world, he felt free to openly announce his faith to the world. The Holy Roman Empire was no more, and in its place stood the Nizzid Empire. Allah's favor has blessed this child, and the conversion of Europe could begin.

Of course, that's not the end of the story. Allah is merciful, but his servants must rise to the challenge, and Amr's challenges are many. He has no heir, and his throne will pass back to the Christians unless he can secure one. Further, the majority of the empire is rebelling, with troops twice the numbers of Badshah Amr's own. Unless Allah provides further miracles, the land that was the Holy Roman Empire will be shattered into a thousand pieces. But even then, through Allah's grace, the strength of the Christians have been weakened, and Europe will never be the same again

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Do reformed pagans get any new societies? I reformed but my only option is Hel and I'd love some holy orders and cool Norse societies.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So has anyone figured out how to use alchemy ingredients as a hermetic?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I assumed they just increased your ability to drug guards on laboratory raiding missions.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
Got a question that I'm sure has been answered before. I'm picking up Conclave and Reaper's Due later today, and what's a good start to get a handle on the new Conclave mechanics? I'm pretty familiar with the game, but not opposed to uniting Ireland (yet again) if that's the best. Would it be better to start as a king, or do they grow naturally going count -> emperor?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I just finished forming Scandinavia starting as Gotland, and settling down as a tribe. Maybe a quarter of my characters were Satanists, but for those that were it helped a lot. Bankrolling expansion by repeatedly ransoming characters sure is a thing, and being able to heal from just about anything is one hell (no pun intended) of an asset when your Martial 37 berserker-godling takes a beating.

I'm really happy with this expansion, but pagans definitely need more societies (maybe like one general monastic order, one mystic order, and admittance to the Hermetics?) once you reform, and there needs to be some improvements to the inventory screen. Namely, being able to set what's equipped by default (I found out two generations in that my rulers weren't using the incredible sword I looted, but were instead sticking with a plain iron mace); to gift, sell, or otherwise discard unwanted artifacts (unless there's a bonus added for keeping something in the dynasty for centuries, there's no reason to keep that plain old mace); and to be able to plot the theft of a specific artifact. Possibly with a rivalry chain of events involved.

Either way, I can't wait to see what's done with these new features in After the End.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alloran posted:

Got a question that I'm sure has been answered before. I'm picking up Conclave and Reaper's Due later today, and what's a good start to get a handle on the new Conclave mechanics? I'm pretty familiar with the game, but not opposed to uniting Ireland (yet again) if that's the best. Would it be better to start as a king, or do they grow naturally going count -> emperor?

Well basically everyone gets the Conclave mechanics, but independent rulers will probably have to deal with them the most. Being a Councillor yourself isn't that exciting.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 9, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Just lol if you take a vow of chastity while your wife is still of childbearing age

I am the wife :v:

And as I said, I've had like 40 children and it's getting a bit unmanageable.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

McGavin posted:

The CK2 Collection is definitely worth it.

That's got all the DLCs except M&M, right?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nah, about half of them. Everything up to India.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How's the new music pack?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The Spawn of Satan appeared to AI Welsh parents, and married a local count. Then said devilspawn decided to go off and find the Aztecs. To cut a long story short, the east coast of the British isles is now the Catholic, anglo-saxon Aztec Empire.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

So has anyone figured out how to use alchemy ingredients as a hermetic?

I've been looking over the data files, and it seems they do literally nothing. There's a few events that add them, and some sort of expiration event on some ingredients, but I have not found a single decision, event or modifier that checks for them or consumes them.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Drone posted:

How's the new music pack?

Its enjoyable.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dang, Karl got a hell of a makeover with the new German portaits.

The studly verdict of Verden, am I right, ladies? :swoon:

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

ninjahedgehog posted:

Dang, Karl got a hell of a makeover with the new German portaits.

The studly verdict of Verden, am I right, ladies? :swoon:

:stare:

:smug:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

Do reformed pagans get any new societies? I reformed but my only option is Hel and I'd love some holy orders and cool Norse societies.

No, there is only one society for them.

AFAIK this list is still correct:

Sheep posted:

So in case anyone is wondering what societies exist:

Catholic, 4 societies: Benedictine, Dominicans, Hermetic Society, Lucifer's Own
Orthodox, 3 societies: Community of St. Basil (same as Benedictine), Hermetic Society, Lucifer's Own
Germanic, 1 society: Hel's own or something (same as Lucifer)
Muslim, 3 societies: Hermetic Society, Assassins (Shia only), Lucifer's own
Tengri, 1 society: Plaguebringers (looks like it might be the same as Lucifer)
West Africans, 0 societies: Nothing, according to Deceitful Penguin
Miaphysite, 3 societies: Community of St. Anthony (same as Benedictine), Hermetic Society, Lucifer's Own
Jewish, 2 societies: Hermetic Society, Lucifer's Own
Suomenusko & Slavic, 1 society: Cold Ones (same as Lucifer)

Seems like there are only 5 unique societies (Benedictine, Dominican, Hermetic, Lucifer's Own, Assassins) and the rest are just cut-and-paste jobs of those 5 with the flavor/cultural text changed.

Didn't check any others because I don't play them and don't care.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 9, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I heard Patricians can't join the hermetics- considering I want to play a Sunni Merchant Republic that powers both science and SCIENCE! with obscene amounts of cash, this is seriously crimping my plans.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Anticheese posted:

I'm really happy with this expansion, but pagans definitely need more societies (maybe like one general monastic order, one mystic order, and admittance to the Hermetics?) once you reform

I agree completely. Every single reformed religion needs to be able to join the Hermetics. Luckily it's a very quick and easy mod to make, but it should be in the base game. As for generic per-religion orders, I think that would be a nice change too. The Hermetics not being available to every reformed religion is a huge oversight though IMO.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Anticheese posted:

The Spawn of Satan appeared to AI Welsh parents, and married a local count. Then said devilspawn decided to go off and find the Aztecs. To cut a long story short, the east coast of the British isles is now the Catholic, anglo-saxon Aztec Empire.

Yeah, I'd recommend turning off supernatural events for the AI right now unless you want something like this to happen <50 years into every game. It should probably respect the timer for the invasion in the game settings.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

The only problem with this DLC is now I want more societies.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Why do you think we got portrait and model packs thrown in this time? Society pack DLCs, coming soon!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Don't give them ideas!

Though seriously big ups to Paradox for not gating the society functionality behind DLC ownership. That was a very cool move.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Canadian Surf Club posted:

in catching up with DLC, I noticed people here recommending Conclave but the Steam reviews make it sound like a huge headache to play with.

I have everything up to Way of Life, and am definitely loading up on Horse Lords, Reapers Due, and Mystics, but is Conclave a must get in this case? Just don't want anything that's going to bog the game down

Every DLC is released alongside an accompanying free patch that everyone gets whether they buy it or not, and if the free patch has features that people don't like, they blame it on the DLC and go complain about it in the reviews. The patch that came along with Conclave added some new mechanics that were a bit unpolished and pretty unpopular, like shattered retreat and defensive pacts, but those aren't actually part of Conclave and you get them whether you buy the DLC or not. Also, later updates added the rules system that lets you turn them off.

Conclave itself is really good. The council system fixes two big gripes I previously had about the game: managing factions and unruly vassals was a pain because there wasn't really much you could do about it other than handing out money and sticking your spymaster places to wait on random events, and once you got big enough you could pretty much have a permanently stable realm with every major vassal either too small or too content to cause any real inconvenience. The council system and the favors system both make dealing with your powerful vassals far more interesting and interactive while also introducing tradeoffs and sources of instability that can keep you on your toes even in the late-game. Some people don't like the new education system, but it's not like education was great before.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So apparently being able to join only one society at a time is hardcoded, which is really putting a damper on modder's plans. :(

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

The council system and the favors system both make dealing with your powerful vassals far more interesting and interactive while also introducing tradeoffs and sources of instability that can keep you on your toes even in the late-game.

I feel like if your personal realm is big enough you still don't care; to my knowledge, Conclave didn't make factions any worse. It just meant people who were powerful were more likely to join factions, which they do anyway if you can't keep them content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

NewMars posted:

So apparently being able to join only one society at a time is hardcoded, which is really putting a damper on modder's plans. :(

I looked through some event files to try and figure out Hermetic Ingredients, and there is only one value for your society power. It just gets renamed to whatever society you're in, so one character could never have dark power and esoteric knowledge since it's all the same variable.

• Locked thread