Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mister Olympus posted:

Honestly this game suffers the most from sticking to pre-SM series traditions. Death to HMs.

It's hard to blame it for that, considering it came out a few weeks before SM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Mister Olympus posted:

Honestly this game suffers the most from sticking to pre-SM series traditions. Death to HMs.

Yeah, I'm very glad to see HMs gone, but I'm hoping the next Gen lets you swap Poke Rides for your own Pokemon, within a certain number of species, similar to how in Pokemon Stadium 2, you could get alternate Pokemon models in some of the minigames if you had the right Pokemon in your PC (like replacing Furret with Girafarig). Like, instead of Tauros, maybe you'd rather ride a Bouffalant or Gogoat, they could probably break rocks with their heads, too. I'd imagine having either a key item or new PC functionality for registering your Pokemon. I like that Sun/Moon gave a surprisingly logical explanation for why you're stuck with the preset Pokemon (they're specially-trained service Pokemon), but I really want the personal touch of using my own Pokemon to overcome obstacles.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

rannum posted:

Yeah. Until XY, all starters only had a basic attack and some stat up/down attack (Growl, Leer, Withdraw etc).

But XY-on made sure to give all of the starters their special move and not arbitrarily leave one without it.

I really REALLY need to finish X/Y.

It includes my new favorite pokemon even! (after snorlax)

Love you Sword-looking-pokemon.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Gridlocked posted:

I really REALLY need to finish X/Y.

It includes my new favorite pokemon even! (after snorlax)

Love you Sword-looking-pokemon.

I get the impression that Steel's resistance to Ghost and Dark were removed specifically so the Honedge line wouldn't be completely overpowered. If its only weaknesses were Fire and Ground, Aegislash would be pretty devastating, I'd think.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

EclecticTastes posted:

Yeah, I'm very glad to see HMs gone, but I'm hoping the next Gen lets you swap Poke Rides for your own Pokemon, within a certain number of species, similar to how in Pokemon Stadium 2, you could get alternate Pokemon models in some of the minigames if you had the right Pokemon in your PC (like replacing Furret with Girafarig). Like, instead of Tauros, maybe you'd rather ride a Bouffalant or Gogoat, they could probably break rocks with their heads, too. I'd imagine having either a key item or new PC functionality for registering your Pokemon. I like that Sun/Moon gave a surprisingly logical explanation for why you're stuck with the preset Pokemon (they're specially-trained service Pokemon), but I really want the personal touch of using my own Pokemon to overcome obstacles.

That's basically how Capabilities in that pokemon TRPG system I mentioned work. For all the weird poo poo it does, especially in regards to trainers' fighting abilities, it has some genuinely good ideas in there.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It's pretty loving devastating as is, man. Aegislash is one of the reasons Sableye was a fixture on my teams for the entirety of Gen VI. (Mega-Kangaskhan was another.)

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes, this was the case for all starters until the release of X and Y, which gave them a move that was the same type as them.

Of course in Uranium, they gave the Water and Fire starters those moves, but didn't bother giving the Grass starter such a move for some reason. Which led to the issue in OFS' latest update.

It's also worth mentioning that starters never normally have abilities like Static or Flame Body: their abilites normally is Overgrow, Blaze or Torrent (depending on the type), which powers up Grass/Fire/Water moves if the starters HP i below half. I understand wanting to give starters better abilities from the start instead of having them locked away as hidden abilities, but then of course situations like what happened with grass cat is a potential issue.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Carlioo posted:

It's also worth mentioning that starters never normally have abilities like Static or Flame Body: their abilites normally is Overgrow, Blaze or Torrent (depending on the type), which powers up Grass/Fire/Water moves if the starters HP i below half. I understand wanting to give starters better abilities from the start instead of having them locked away as hidden abilities, but then of course situations like what happened with grass cat is a potential issue.

I'd argue that Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent are actually pretty optimal starter abilities for the starter design space in the core game, which is about being a player's strongest resource in the early game, when resources are thin on the ground and it's possible player skill is a little shaky. (Every first-party Pokemon game is going to have a ton of new players and/or kids, after all.) "Power up at low HP" abilities give resource-strapped players an improved ability to turn around encounters when they don't have a lot of options, which I'd argue is more useful to new players in the early game than something luck-based like Static or Flame Body, even if Static/Flame Body are arguably better overall. Swapping it out is really a symptom of Uranium clearly being designed by and for hardcore Pokemon optimizers who consider the base game trivial, alongside such symptoms as hiking up the level curve, giving NPC trainers "challenge" with broken strategies that don't match player resources, and "Nuzlocke mode."

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Begemot posted:

That's enough to have still technically been in development when Ride Pokemon were announced. No mercy. :colbert:

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Color Printer posted:

Also I'm 99% sure you can change this with scripting so I don't know why it's not part of the Pokemon Essentials package.

It's also something that can be evented in the older non-scriptable engines, so it really boggles the mind.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Begemot posted:

There hasn't been a game set in poke-India yet. Duh.

gently caress this'd be a stellar idea

India is like, purpose-built to be an RPG map because it was literally in reality extremely hard to get in or out of the place unless you were amazing at boats or didn't care about the most ridiculously hostile environments in the world at its borders. All sorts of cool poo poo in the area too, especially y'know, Mount Everest and all. Open to some amazing general world design and neat music, I'd be 100% a-okay with it, there and Australia are places I really want to see

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
poke Australia would be, if anything, more horrifying than Alola, which is already lowkey terrifying. Nintendo simultaneously went brighter and cheerier and at the same time more genuinely unsettling with Sun/Moon. Bewear is kind of the perfect encapsulation of the Alola Experience in that regard.
for poke-Australia, I'm just imagining a cassowary Pokemon with a Pokedex entry that's like "An effort was made by humans once to exterminate them, but there were casualties, and now humans do not enter their territory."

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Spatula City posted:

poke Australia would be, if anything, more horrifying than Alola, which is already lowkey terrifying. Nintendo simultaneously went brighter and cheerier and at the same time more genuinely unsettling with Sun/Moon. Bewear is kind of the perfect encapsulation of the Alola Experience in that regard.
for poke-Australia, I'm just imagining a cassowary Pokemon with a Pokedex entry that's like "An effort was made by humans once to exterminate them, but there were casualties, and now humans do not enter their territory."

Moon Pokedex posted:

This Pokémon has the habit of hugging its companions. Many Trainers have left this world after their spines were squashed by its hug.

Jesus Christ. :stare:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

EclecticTastes posted:

I get the impression that Steel's resistance to Ghost and Dark were removed specifically so the Honedge line wouldn't be completely overpowered. If its only weaknesses were Fire and Ground, Aegislash would be pretty devastating, I'd think.

I think the actual reason is because Fairy existing gave Steel an offensive buff that they neutralized with a defensive nerf. (Poison didn't need any kind of nerf to counter its buff).

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

And yet they still refuse to give Ice more resistances!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Fairy only exists because Scrafty was too amazing to exist without a double weakness.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
cant wait to climb mount antacid

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Spatula City posted:

Kind of like a Poke Emu War, then.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Begemot posted:

No, it's really easy to blame them for that because Pokemon fangames using essentials like Uranium does have been using HM item replacements for years.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hell, there are dummied out HM replacement items in gen 1 games.

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.
Not to engage in hyperbole, but the creation and use of Garlikid in this game should have triggered a community service sentence if not outright jail time.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Unknown Quantity posted:

Oh god it's either dabbing or they inadvertently made a JoJo sheep.

This is cute. Not amazing, but cute. :3:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So there's this ripped garlic boy, who wishes to fight us.

This is... not. :what:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

YggiDee posted:

Fairy only exists because Scrafty was too amazing to exist without a double weakness.

Also Hydreigon and Kingdra. Also also, Garchomp was fast enough that the only thing that scared it was either another Garchomp or a Weavile. After Gen 6, though, a bulky flying/fairy type (hi, Togekiss!) no-sells at least 75% of a Garchomp's potential moveset, leaving it only with the inaccurate Stone Edge to fall back on.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 9, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

EclecticTastes posted:

I have an irrational boner for Steel types.

Metagross was the previous 2nd favorite now knocked down to 3rd.

Also love you giant metal-hell-spider

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Spatula City posted:

:agreed: they could have at least expended poke'rest of the planet before they moved into Sun/Moons extradimensional pokemon poo poo.

Doduo post. My bad.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I also get the feeling that introducing alternate universes to the franchise opens up a can of worms.

As for what new places they can base their next games on, the last two were basically top vacation spots for Japanese tourists so its highly likely that the next place will also be similar.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Kind of like a Poke Emu War, then.

Tbh, real world Australia is already full of dangerous and extreme critters so it wouldn't be very hard to Pokemon that up. Issues of racism and native peoples could be dicey but Nintendo could just ignore it, too. :eyeroll:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i wonder if they'll make a pokemon game in one of the like three parts of Japan they haven't gotten around to yet...

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I feel like britain+ireland is inevitable, but since it almost certainly means a corgi pokemon, it's a fine choice

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HardDiskD posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare:

Bewear was my loving #1 team member, spine still uncracked, no regrets :colbert:

Gyra_Solune posted:

i wonder if they'll make a pokemon game in one of the like three parts of Japan they haven't gotten around to yet...

Which non-remake Pokemon was the last one actually set in Poke-Japan, anyway?

GeneX posted:

I feel like britain+ireland is inevitable, but since it almost certainly means a corgi pokemon, it's a fine choice

Royal Guard gym leader, gym leader wearing kilt, alcoholic punk-rock gym leader, foppish aristocrat gym leader, newsboy-cap-clad-pensioner gym leader

Pint of Guinness pokemon which evolves into a growler and then a keg

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 9, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

loquacius posted:

Mainline? Sinnoh.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

:agreed: they could have at least expended poke'rest of the planet before they moved into Sun/Moons extradimensional pokemon poo poo.

Doduo post. My bad.

yeah i hated platinum going into the alternate world too

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Gridlocked posted:

Doduo post. My bad.

The weird part is, they didn't even do much with that theme. Only one of those Pokemon were remotely relevant in Sun and Moon.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

loquacius posted:

Nah, it's a regional variation.

Keggexecutor

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

loquacius posted:

Bewear was my loving #1 team member, spine still uncracked, no regrets :colbert:

Royal Guard gym leader, gym leader wearing kilt, alcoholic punk-rock gym leader, foppish aristocrat gym leader, newsboy-cap-clad-pensioner gym leader

The Champion is blatantly just William Wallace

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

loquacius posted:

They should go real deep and make it the old Guiness Toucan.

Dark/Flying.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

loquacius posted:

Bug-type that's an obvious homage to the Beatles...unless there already is one

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Leeds has the Normal-Type gym.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Bug-type that's an obvious homage to the Beatles...unless there already is one

Bug-type Gym Leader is an obvious John Lennon homage located in Poke-Liverpool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Poke-Britain could be neat I guess. Should Ireland be Tutotial Island like it is in Crusader Kings or should it just kick off in London and get to the point

• Locked thread