Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jazzzzz posted:

I remember driving from Athens to somewhere on the west side of Atlanta 15-odd years ago, doing 85 two lanes over from the HOV lane and getting my doors blown off by a minivan with 3 kids in the back. I guess mommy had somewhere to be and she wasn't loving around

Driving on rt 85 near Atlanta has to be the fastest I've ever seen people drive. We were going ~80 mph and people passing us had to be going 110+. I bet there are some rad accidents on that road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

hot sauce posted:

Driving on rt 85 near Atlanta has to be the fastest I've ever seen people drive. We were going ~80 mph and people passing us had to be going 110+. I bet there are some rad accidents on that road.

The best part is we don't have state inspections so people can do 110 on lovely bald Pep-Boys specials. The Georgia DOT keeps their message signs above the highways reporting the roadway fatalities in the state to date each year.

Why the gently caress am I riding here, again?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I washed and polished my bike on Friday. It rained on Saturday. :argh:

Also, I finally got bees in my helmet!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

hot sauce posted:

Mmmm... traffic flowing at 80-85 mph on I-85 sure. But someone flying by 110+ has to be the rare lunatic blitzing thru. Now 285 you taking your life into your hands on there, people is cray.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

I truly don't get Groms
I've never ridden one, so maybe they are the most boring things. They look like an absolute riot and are totally adorable. Fooligan's addictive youtube channel backs this up 100%.

Why do you hate fun, Sage?

Would.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A Grom would actually be a pretty lovely commuter bike in London - too low, too cramped, and still pretty wide. Any random scooter would loving blitz it.

Fine, a zuma125 then if you don't care about looking cool on a cool little bike. Aren't groms pretty thin? How much room do you need?

Razzled posted:

drat dude you got off easy, 92/55 3 years ago in a car got me a nice 1000 dollar fine with 0 priors or accidents on record

GHP pulled me cruising at 98 in a 65 on my WR250x last year, and just gave me a bs citation for something different because he "had to give me something if he stopped me". Then the officer coached me on where I could safely speed on the road ahead so I could get to class on time.

Of course, this means my next interaction with GHP will involve gunfire and dogs.

Ripoff posted:

Because the weather is fantastic.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 7, 2017

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ripoff posted:

The best part is we don't have state inspections so people can do 110 on lovely bald Pep-Boys specials. The Georgia DOT keeps their message signs above the highways reporting the roadway fatalities in the state to date each year.

I saw that sign on 95 a few weeks ago. It jumped up a few every day I went by.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coydog posted:

I've never ridden one, so maybe they are the most boring things. They look like an absolute riot and are totally adorable. Fooligan's addictive youtube channel backs this up 100%.

Why do you hate fun, Sage?

Would.

I've ridden one, and they're legit fun as heck. You can ride stoppies on them and fling them around like nothing. The seat is in no way all-day comfortable. You will get saddle sores if you try it.
I guess they've got a stigma similar to but different from scooters, but if you get over that, they're a great urban runaround.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Chichevache posted:

I got 80 in a 65 last year. :jerkbag: There is a reason 101 is the worst highway in the country. gently caress the CHP.

I have gotten 3 such tickets - two of them on 280. It was in a car though. Hey, man, since you are in San Jose, any interest in a ride together? I am in Santa Clara.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

I've ridden one, and they're legit fun as heck. You can ride stoppies on them and fling them around like nothing. The seat is in no way all-day comfortable. You will get saddle sores if you try it.
I guess they've got a stigma similar to but different from scooters, but if you get over that, they're a great urban runaround.

That is so fantastic to hear. If I ever decide to have two bikes again, a grom will almost certainly be what I get. Now I get to pine after them with double the intensity I've had since they were introduced. :(

Even though people are terribly mean to bikes that they don't deem sufficient to stroke their egos :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfC9IdbKSsk&t=242s

Some guy called my WR250x a "clown bike" once. People hate fun themselves.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Generally speaking, anyone who shits on any given biek for its displacement alone doesn't know much about bikes at all, whether or not they are motorcycle owners themselves.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Generally speaking, anyone who shits on any given biek for its displacement alone doesn't know much about bikes at all, whether or not they are motorcycle owners themselves.

I disagree, the SV400 is terrible. Ditto monster 400, p-twin ninja 400, hawk gt 400. But all have sleeved down versions of the normal engine and are otherwise identical to the full power bike which is a recipe for goddamn terrible bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Or you can get something desperately slow but incredibly nimble and turn every commute into an excitement-packed IRL video-game.

This is why I commute on the freeway with my elite 250. It's a challenge every time

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

I have gotten 3 such tickets - two of them on 280. It was in a car though. Hey, man, since you are in San Jose, any interest in a ride together? I am in Santa Clara.

poo poo yeah, I'm down. Got anywhere in mind?

gently caress, 280 is normally super chill. My 101 ticket was down by Monterey. Supposedly I was doing 94, but he was going easy on me. :jerkbag: I know I loving wasn't. I'd just gotten busted the week before doing close to 100, but since I was let off with a warning I was being very loving careful not to get caught again. :ssh:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Chichevache posted:

poo poo yeah, I'm down. Got anywhere in mind?

gently caress, 280 is normally super chill. My 101 ticket was down by Monterey. Supposedly I was doing 94, but he was going easy on me. :jerkbag: I know I loving wasn't. I'd just gotten busted the week before doing close to 100, but since I was let off with a warning I was being very loving careful not to get caught again. :ssh:

I am going up mnt. Hamilton tomorrow morning to scout and likely again on Saturday morning. I am inviting a couple of other goons to the Saturday outing. If it's hosed, may be hwy 9 to santa cruz and back up 1 and 280. 35 has been hosed for 2 weeks now unfortunately. I am open to other ideas as well. You can ping me at gamebooter gmail.com

Lol, look at 35

pokie fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 8, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're planning a group ride and you're open to more people, could you post it in the SF area thread too? I'd be interested in coming along if I can swing it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

I disagree, the SV400 is terrible. Ditto monster 400, p-twin ninja 400, hawk gt 400. But all have sleeved down versions of the normal engine and are otherwise identical to the full power bike which is a recipe for goddamn terrible bikes.

Yeah we don't get any of those in Americaland, the only place where things matter.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Speaking of which, thanks again to CA for steering me away from the ZZR400, yet another sleeved copy of a 600 that apparently takes a solid reliable engine and stuffs it full of gremlins.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Fine, a zuma125 then if you don't care about looking cool on a cool little bike. Aren't groms pretty thin? How much room do you need?

Handlebar/mirror width are the crucial thing. I only sat on one the once but the bar-ends are further apart than my shoulders which makes it harder to filter on than the majority of scooters.

Obviously almost all proper bikes have this problem too but at least you're not on a scooter.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I found my super moto with underarm mirrors pretty good for filtering around London, though I expect you're more used to clip ons with narrow sports bikes right?

... Super moto with clip ons...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

Speaking of which, thanks again to CA for steering me away from the ZZR400, yet another sleeved copy of a 600 that apparently takes a solid reliable engine and stuffs it full of gremlins.

The only 400 sport(ish) bike that is worth the money AND available in the US is the Bandit 400. 20k rpm of tiny inline 4 goodness. They sound amazing to boot.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush posted:

If you're planning a group ride and you're open to more people, could you post it in the SF area thread too? I'd be interested in coming along if I can swing it.

Once I can find a loving twisty that's not closed I will!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Keket posted:

I found my super moto with underarm mirrors pretty good for filtering around London, though I expect you're more used to clip ons with narrow sports bikes right?

Sports bikes are great for narrowness, especially if you can fold the mirrors in*, but the head-down riding position kills visibility and the turning circle is generally poo poo. Naked bikes and especially stuff at the dirty end of the market (fnarr) have got the head height and turning circle but the wide bars are terrible.

*evidence: 4 years commuting from E14 to W4 on an RS125

quote:

... Super moto with clip ons...

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
I don't know how y'all are going so fast on I85, every single time I have the misfortune of using it anywhere below 316 it's an absolute crawl. Same with PIB.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sports bikes are great for narrowness, especially if you can fold the mirrors in

Helpfully, most bikes will do this automatically when you hit a car :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

Lol, look at 35

Holy gently caress, that looks like a hellmouth. :stare:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Holy gently caress, that looks like a hellmouth. :stare:

Don't worry, I got what you need.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oNNjHlKOxo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If they want to explain physics being senseless so badly why not just take all these trials guys, cram them into the LHC and start 'er up to see what happens?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

That was a rad video.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Coydog posted:

Some guy called my WR250x a "clown bike" once. People hate fun themselves.

I had someone ask me why I'm still riding that "lovely little orange dirtbike" the other day.

That's my 690smc.

-_-

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
When Trump turns the USA into an apocalyptic wasteland, I'm stealing a trials bike so I can escape the mutant hordes. gently caress trucks.

Shimrod posted:

I had someone ask me why I'm still riding that "lovely little orange dirtbike" the other day.

That's my 690smc.

-_-

The answer to this should have been giving them a new trench in their front yard, courtesy of a 690cc trench digger.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shimrod posted:

That's my 690smc.

-_-

That's what you get for not having a 300 2t. :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shimrod posted:

That's my 690smc.

-_-

Why are you riding that lovely little orange dirtbike, anyway?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Just subscribe to my excellent shitposting in the layerdan slack, current topic being me missing London roads after now living in the wild north for 3 weeks, jfc these potholes.

They made an attempt at filling them in today, but gave up after only filling them halfway.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jazzzzz posted:

I remember driving from Athens to somewhere on the west side of Atlanta 15-odd years ago, doing 85 two lanes over from the HOV lane and getting my doors blown off by a minivan with 3 kids in the back. I guess mommy had somewhere to be and she wasn't loving around

This happens about every hundred miles in Montana. Alternating minivans and Pontiac Grand Ams.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Dammit. It's snowing again in Michigan today, but at least it's not sticking. I managed to turn a 10-minute drive to the vet to drop off a sample into a 45 minute cruise through town for some fresh air.
Also it looks like any chance I had at grabbing a cheap sumo is vanishing. The girlfriend's Manx Syndrome kitten is going to need a subtotal colectomy to fix his extremely chronic constipation.

Like, way to have the broken cat! At least my Manx works right, and even likes bikes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's a cat. Just give it an enema every now and then.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I thought you were supposed to squeeze the butts? Or is that dogs? I don't know I'm not a pet person I'm a biek person.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

its all nice on rice posted:

It's a cat. Just give it an enema every now and then.

Hahahaha. Hahahaha. gently caress that's a bad idea. He's had two this month, they basically need to be completely sedated.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Coydog posted:

I thought you were supposed to squeeze the butts? Or is that dogs? I don't know I'm not a pet person I'm a biek person.

Yes that's dogs- expressing the anal glands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I broke my "no toy cars" rule that I've obeyed for the last 5 years and traded a really lovely Fireblade for a cheap BMW E21. Now I have this loving car to deal with and I'm considering moving back across the country and I'm trying to decide if I should just sell all my vehicles and drive the truck or buy a new (used) trailer to haul it home.

The general contactor I've been working with lost their main source of contracts so I haven't worked in a while and I'm freaking out about adding to my debt. I also can't decide if I should sell my DRZ and YZ125 or keep one or both. Don't try to read these things like there is a logical sequence, because there isn't.

I'm losing my loving mind