Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
It's definitely a blow and one more thing to add to the stack of Ways Trump Is loving Us All Collectively And Individually. That said, it's not a guarantee that the ruling will end up going as Grand Imperial Wizard Sessions wishes-- the court may re evaluate in light of the new guidance only to decide "this guidance is garbage written by malevolent goblins, judgement is still awarded to the cool trans kid."

Seriously, Gavin Grimm is great and you should listen to some of his radio interviews if you get the chance. I recently learned he attends the same LGBT youth support group I did as a baby gay in high school so that made me :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a big case in the UK Supreme Court tomorrow.

In which pensions companies went "you already got equal marriage, now you're whining about not having the same rights that come with it too" and lost and then won.

This is going to be a big part of the tidying up of marriage equality, that there were couples who were united in all but name for decades, got married the moment it was available, but because of exceptions and technicalities don't have access to full equality carried forward.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Glazier posted:

Get as many firearms as you can afford, train with them, and carry at least one on your person at all times. Be alert and be ready, they are coming for us soon.

Are you Dan Harmon

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This happened in Brazil:

:nms: :nws: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/dandara-dos-santos-dead-brazil-9980288 :nms: :nws:

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Anyone who says that the LGBT community shouldn't arm is loving stupid.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jesus loving christ I hate people.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

can you give a safe-ish rundown for those of us who don't want to click something deemed brain-warping?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

cis autodrag posted:

can you give a safe-ish rundown for those of us who don't want to click something deemed brain-warping?

The link is to an article, the video requires an additional click.
42 y.o. trans woman ridiculed, beaten and then shot to death.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Anyone who says that the LGBT community shouldn't arm is loving stupid.

Spoilers: It's not going to go well for anyone involved to do that.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

RagnarokAngel posted:

Spoilers: It's not going to go well for anyone involved to do that.

Yeah, gosh...If we're armed and willing to fight, a pack of violent assholes might beat one of us up and shoot that poor person in the loving head.

And lord knows physical confrontation has never won the LGBT community anything before...I mean, gosh, can you imagine what horrors would have occurred if, say, an entire gay bar had turned on police and beaten the poo poo out of them? We'd have no rights today!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i can't think of a nicer way to word this, but statistically speaking, you give an LGBT person a gun and it's only gonna end up shooting one person

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah, gosh...If we're armed and willing to fight, a pack of violent assholes might beat one of us up and shoot that poor person in the loving head.

And lord knows physical confrontation has never won the LGBT community anything before...I mean, gosh, can you imagine what horrors would have occurred if, say, an entire gay bar had turned on police and beaten the poo poo out of them? We'd have no rights today!

I know you wanna live your dream of being a Stonewall protestor or a Black Panther but that isn't going to happen.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

mandatory lesbian posted:

i can't think of a nicer way to word this, but statistically speaking, you give an LGBT person a gun and it's only gonna end up shooting one person

I'd rather go out quickly by my own hand than be beaten to death, tbh

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's always funny to read this, then wonder how exactly we have anyone left alive in the US at all, given that there are more privately owned guns than people floating around here. It's almost like that statistic is meaningless because assault is statistically speaking rare enough that the also rare incident of accident with a dangerous object has a similar prevalence!

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mass paramilitary action is what's been effective, not individuals sniping bigots once the criteria for self-defense has been met. LGBT people forming armed vigilance committees and militias would be one thing, telling people to just buy a gun is another (especially since shooting someone in self-defense relies on the forbearance of the justice system, and pardon me for thinking that cops aren't gonna be hugely sympathetic to anyone other than a masc white gay/bi man shooting someone).

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Liquid Communism posted:

It's always funny to read this, then wonder how exactly we have anyone left alive in the US at all, given that there are more privately owned guns than people floating around here. It's almost like that statistic is meaningless because assault is statistically speaking rare enough that the also rare incident of accident with a dangerous object has a similar prevalence!

LGBT people are at a much higher risk of doing something with a gun, and it's not have an accident.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What was the name of the gang of gay men that formed in I think San Francisco to fight back against gay bashing? I know this happened I can't find the name though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

He's saying that lgbt people are at a much higher risk for suicide and giving them a more effective means of doing so will raise the chances they do it :ssh:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hollismason posted:

What was the name of the gang of gay men that formed in I think San Francisco to fight back against gay bashing? I know this happened I can't find the name though.

Pink Pistols? I'm not sure, though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hollismason posted:

There was The Pink Panthers in NYC, but I think I know the one you mean. Led by a gay preacher who carried a metal pipe. Can't remember the name though.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guavanaut posted:

There was The Pink Panthers in NYC, but I think I know the one you mean. Led by a gay preacher who carried a metal pipe. Can't remember the name though.

i thought they also called themselves pink panthers?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah my Google is failing me I know there was a group in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

It's not the Pink Panthers, I know of them.

This group was very " proactive"

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

The pink pistols are pretty cool, you should support them

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Gods drat that Brazil story. :(

I totally get wanting to defend yourself but I do think community action will be better than just arming yourself on your lonesome. That's not much comfort if you don't have a community or are a shut in like me however. Maybe mace if you can carry it where you are?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Liquid Communism posted:

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/lgbt/transgender-suicide/

41% of transgender people have attempted suicide. Arming trans people just converts those attempts into successes. It's a terrible idea. The only way to protect the trans community is to get people to stop being bystanders to violence against minorities.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

wow man it's weird you can post while being illiterate

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cis autodrag posted:

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/lgbt/transgender-suicide/

41% of transgender people have attempted suicide. Arming trans people just converts those attempts into successes. It's a terrible idea. The only way to protect the trans community is to get people to stop being bystanders to violence against minorities.

On the other hand, historically the best way to get gun control laws passed in the United States is to arm minorities, so...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

He's saying that lgbt people are at a much higher risk for suicide and giving them a more effective means of doing so will raise the chances they do it :ssh:

Yeah, I get that, and agree that suicidal people should not buy weapons. I just also disagree with the blanket assumption that all LGBTQ people are suicidal, especially where the same rhetoric is used to paint any sexual orientation or gender presentation outside the defined norm as a mental illness.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Regardless of the suicide statistic, empowerment is way more important than equipment. Gays, like women, trans folk and racialized minorities IMHO, should set up self defense classes and build independent power structures to defend their interests.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I get that, and agree that suicidal people should not buy weapons. I just also disagree with the blanket assumption that all LGBTQ people are suicidal, especially where the same rhetoric is used to paint any sexual orientation or gender presentation outside the defined norm as a mental illness.

Suicidal ideation isn't just a "you have it or you dont" switch. Various social factors can trigger it, and trans people are prone to some of the biggest.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Equipment helps empower folks, though

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liquid Communism posted:

it's not assuming everyone is suicidal it's assuming that the way society treats trans people and lgbt people in general tends to increase/cause suicidal tendencies. studies of attempted suicide indicate that a risk factor is minority status.

this isn't to say that no lgbt person should own guns, but that gun ownership cannot be considered a panacea for lgbt problems

though it is fair to point out the correlation between race and violence; white people are more likely to attempt or die from suicide than black people, and black people are more likely to be murdered than white people. these statistics hold true for trans people. how this affects attempts to arm lgbt people is up in the air, as gun ownership does not guarantee protection, especially from police violence, for black people, but it is important to remember that white people and black people have different risks and needs

also who knows how much of this applies in brazil. i don't know much about brazil.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It definitely isn't a panacea, but if the other option is to rely on police who (in the Brazil example) do not give a -gently caress- or may even be complicit, there are worse options than considering your own self defense.

Mind you, 99 times out of 100, being in good enough shape to sprint a couple blocks is a better defense tactic, but it works best against random street crime. People out to commit a hate crime may not be too lazy to chase you.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Trans woman Ce Ce Williams went to prison for defending herself (with a pair of scissors), FYI.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Liquid Communism posted:

Uh, because less than 75 million Americans own any guns at all? The vast majority of the population does not own any guns, a small percentage of the small amount of people who own guns at all own large hoards of guns. Additionally many of those less than 75 million Americans who own guns, only own a typical shotgun or hunting rifle, rather than something like a handgun - which are much more difficult to use for suicide.

The 5000th gun some crazy prepper out in Montana owns doesn't do anything to affect my or your behavior, which is why just listing how many guns are owned in this country is irrelevant.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Owning a concealed carry would be a good way to have them skip the beating and go directly to the shooting, thereby complying with the guidelines laid down by the Geneva Convention. Statistically, this is more likely to lead to death, but given the assumption that statistics are meaningless and false, well, it's the best case scenario.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

It definitely isn't a panacea, but if the other option is to rely on police who (in the Brazil example) do not give a -gently caress- or may even be complicit, there are worse options than considering your own self defense.

Mind you, 99 times out of 100, being in good enough shape to sprint a couple blocks is a better defense tactic, but it works best against random street crime. People out to commit a hate crime may not be too lazy to chase you.

And the person who said we should rely on the police is where?

Everyone is saying guns are a bad idea because suicidal tendencies are common enough among trans people, and having gun is often the difference between an attempt and an actual suicide. And we've brought up some alternate ideas like carrying mace or a baton, learning some self defense or taking up jogging so you can run away, and at this point even starting a community defense group of some sort. No one is trusting the state to protect our interests, but we're not freemen of the land either who assume just having a gun is going to make everyone bow down and respect us.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Control Volume posted:

Owning a concealed carry would be a good way to have them skip the beating and go directly to the shooting, thereby complying with the guidelines laid down by the Geneva Convention. Statistically, this is more likely to lead to death, but given the assumption that statistics are meaningless and false, well, it's the best case scenario.

What provision of the Geneva Conventions are you referring to, and to which LGBT circumstances are you applying it? What statistics were you thinking of?

If you have mental health issues that are not well and consistently controlled, please don't buy a gun. You can still get educated and practiced, though.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 9, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think that was supposed to be an extremely sarcastic "joke" about how they would just die instead of being tortured first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Additionally many of those less than 75 million Americans who own guns, only own a typical shotgun or hunting rifle, rather than something like a handgun - which are much more difficult to use for suicide.

You don't need a gun for that, all you need is a hat, some nails, some shotgun shells and some wire.

• Locked thread