Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

Why do they have to be embarrassing

I think it will be funny and weird. I'd like to expose myself to all manner of gaming I wouldn't usually go for which is the big reason for my gaming year.
VNs have a odd reputation and I want to embrace it. Embarrassing ones will make me laugh.

I do have Ace Atorney lined up for Au-gust! It was released in 2007, so it's perfect :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

You should, they're a really interesting combination of visual media and literature. It's a genre where I would barely classify it as a video game in the traditional sense but not having that label allows them to tell much more in-depth stories than games usually do.

edit: Although they do require a lengthy attention span because if your thoughts trail off while you're playing one you'll just be clicking through the dialogue without really reading it. So if you don't have that then maybe they're not for you, some people don't.

I mean, that goes for "reading" in general. If you're not reading, why are you doing it? Visual novels are basically slightly more interactive comics, which is to say, totally enjoyable if you find a setting and/or set of characters you like. I'd love to see writers in the west outside Telltale get more into it. Transmetropolitan: The VN, and such.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

fridge corn posted:

As someone who regularly reads actual literature, I have serious doubts that any visual novel could reach a similar level of quality.

Also I don't like anime.

Good visual Novels are very similar to Lone Wolf/Goosebumps CYOA books imo, but instead of action it's interpersonal relations and drama. Though likewise, bad ones are just as bad, if not worse than bad CYOA books.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I can't believe VideoGames is bringing back the awful anime hentai reviews in November

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I can't believe VideoGames is bringing back the awful anime hentai reviews in November

:eyepop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

fridge corn posted:

As someone who regularly reads actual literature, I have serious doubts that any visual novel could reach a similar level of quality.

Also I don't like anime.

Well, there are a lot of visual novels out there that don't fall under the dreaded anime blanket. And you're right, actual books are a level of quality above visual novels and really any video game in terms of ability to tell a story. But visual novels get a boost from the visual aspect of them that can illustrate stuff for you to either save space in the narration, show a character's emotion better than words alone could, or capture a moment on screen so you can physically see it while you read about it- so that you know exactly what the developer wants you to picture.

It looks a bit silly when you look at it from the outside, because all it really is at its core is paper dolls of the characters shuffling around on the screen with the occasional CG drawing. But when you're playing it, it comes together to make a story that is supplemented well by the imagery.

edit: The music helps with that too.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 9, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm not sure anyone is going to sell fridge corn on visual novels

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Great idea! :D And my birthday is in that month, so it can be even more embarassing!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

But visual novels get a boost from the visual aspect of them that can illustrate stuff for you to either save space in the narration, show a character's emotion better than words alone could, or capture a moment on screen so you can physically see it while you read about it- so that you know exactly what the developer wants you to picture.

Eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh I'd argue these can also be seen as negatives since it leads to less imagination when it comes to picturing what is going on. Also, I feel like books have more freedom in what they can do while the visual aspect of a visual novel seems to hinder it to some extent since everything that happens has to be something that can be, to some degree, shown.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Great idea! :D And my birthday is in that month, so it can be even more embarassing!

A buddy I have would likely suggest you check out "let's meow meow" except that was already reviewed by uhh

gently caress, who was it that even did those reviews anyway

Was it zack parsons?

Ok yeah it was zack parsons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do YCS classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8be8pL0lhw

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh I'd argue these can also be seen as negatives since it leads to less imagination when it comes to picturing what is going on. Also, I feel like books have more freedom in what they can do while the visual aspect of a visual novel seems to hinder it to some extent since everything that happens has to be something that can be, to some degree, shown.

I would argue that this is why VN's and comics are at their best when they use less realistic and more representative or abstract art. That lets your imagination still take a big part in the story-telling while also presenting art that can do things that just a simple realistic presentation couldn't. It lets you tell stories that are a lot more surreal but are less impenetrable than literature, where surreal narrative can be a lot more offputting.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Horizon is good. I like the combat a lot. Also while I'm looking forward to Shadow of War I must say that watching the trailer right after a session with Horizon made SoW look pretty dated. It's funny how quickly these things shift.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dota a cat

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTsaS1Tm-Ic

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ah yes, my favorite "something something dota, something something creepa" song.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amusingly that guy ended up in the charts here a couple of times around... 2009? Including a version of that song with all the DotA refs removed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I forgot this existed. I'm the girlfriend sitting there staring at the TV bored as hell on quaaludes because everyone is playing computer games and for some reason invited a bunch of people over to sit around and not play them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nasgate posted:

Good visual Novels are very similar to... Goosebumps CYOA books

now i gotta get in on this !!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Palpek posted:

Ah yes, my favorite "something something dota, something something creepa" song.

I'm the cool guy playing dota at the club or whatever the hell is going on in that video.

bloodychill posted:

fwiw I like that you post and what you have to say even when it occasionally annoys me. Chat threads wouldn't be the same without some hardcore Lurdiaking.

:)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

I would argue that this is why VN's and comics are at their best when they use less realistic and more representative or abstract art. That lets your imagination still take a big part in the story-telling while also presenting art that can do things that just a simple realistic presentation couldn't. It lets you tell stories that are a lot more surreal but are less impenetrable than literature, where surreal narrative can be a lot more offputting.

Saya no Uta was good at this because they show you the protagonist's terrifying meat vision affliction in pretty much every scene of the thing because it's all from his perspective. It would be tedious to describe everything as "yup, it's a gross meat world and all my friends are meat and everything is meat to me" over and over, so instead they just skip that and show you in great, gory detail. In my opinion, it's much more effective that way.

edit: And I really like how they subvert your expectations when another character actually sees Saya in person. You're expecting a CG drawing of the spookiest scariest meat monster cthulu yet, but all you see is a shadow and you get no description because the character is so (understandably) freaked out. All along it's been showing you the grody meat world, but it holds back where it really counts.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 9, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pixel art is fun, even if you're not great at it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The CYOA aspect of VNs gets way overplayed/talked up IMO. The number of VNs in English that are actually worth playing/recommending is predictably rather small and just about all of them are super linear with just a handful of rather binary branching points. I guess CLANNAD is kind of OK and is pretty CYOA-like but it's also super frustrating at times with how obtuse its route structure is.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I hope I can do more stuff with pixel art once I finish my final school project based on pixel art. It's been a fun and interesting project to do, but I am kinda getting worn out on it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Nasgate posted:

Good visual Novels are very similar to Lone Wolf/Goosebumps CYOA books imo, but instead of action it's interpersonal relations and drama. Though likewise, bad ones are just as bad, if not worse than bad CYOA books.

Goosebumps are books for children tho

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My fingers hurt! Why does this song have to be 14 minutes long! :negative:

Perhaps I should take a break to eat breakfast or something so I don't get carpal tunnel.

edit: For the record, there's about 600 notes right now, looking to be probably a thousand or so before I'm done. Through the Fire and Flames this is not.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Which song is that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

Which song is that?

Seen here vvv

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEIceHIxvtI

My own personal final challenge of making Rock Band customs is this song. You may ask yourself, "CJacobs, don't you think it's a little crazy to be making a 14 minute custom Rock Band song at 3:30 AM on a thursday?" And to that I would say yes but so what, I am having fun. And dammit that is what life is all about, or something like that!!

edit: That said, I am probably going to chop this down to not be 14 minutes long because the song part of the song is over at about minute 6 and from then on it's just instrumental noodling, which while cool is probably not the most interesting part for a band to play.

What I did not count on is that the song is pretty much constant super fast strumming up and down, which is not very challenging to chart as much as it is tedious as hell. It's definitely gonna be fun to play though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Saya no Uta was good at this because they show you the protagonist's terrifying meat vision affliction in pretty much every scene of the thing because it's all from his perspective. It would be tedious to describe everything as "yup, it's a gross meat world and all my friends are meat and everything is meat to me" over and over, so instead they just skip that and show you in great, gory detail. In my opinion, it's much more effective that way.

Idk, I'm sure there have been books that handled similar things just as well. It isn't a case of repeatedly describing things so much as it is writing in a way that is interesting and entertaining. On top of that, repetition can be a very useful tool for a writer since it allows them to give focus to specific elements, drilling bits into your brain so that they can easily call back to them later.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I meant that we are all evil and lovely. Not you specifically.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FirstAidKite posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh I'd argue these can also be seen as negatives since it leads to less imagination when it comes to picturing what is going on.
What about people who have no imagination, such as engineers like me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

Idk, I'm sure there have been books that handled similar things just as well. It isn't a case of repeatedly describing things so much as it is writing in a way that is interesting and entertaining. On top of that, repetition can be a very useful tool for a writer since it allows them to give focus to specific elements, drilling bits into your brain so that they can easily call back to them later.

I'd say both are valid, really. It's not necessarily that visual novels have an advantage because of their graphics, it just allows for a different form of presentation than a standard novel will provide.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i have one zelda dungeon left and i'm probably not going​ to actually do it for a while so here's oddium's final zelda review: 7.7 when i'm doing woke thoughts while driving to work, 8.2 while i'm playing it

pros:
* taking pictures for the hyrule compendium (my favorite thing by far)
* exploring to complete the hyrule compendium
* very scenic
* seeing the dragons for the first time, especially up close
* link's canon mermaid wife
* the extremely sick chameleon lizalfos design
* wizzrobes not as good as ww toucans but still good
* professor zelda is cool + the only good voice actor
* the lost woods
* very impressive sense of mystery and wonder. but it's all first-time stuff that doesn't hold up
* passion for fashion

cons:
* the weapon durability
* always out of arrows
* the divine beasts and the build up to them are so disappointing. the rito one is especially bad. i did the zora one first so maybe that's why it's my favorite, with the heavy downpour and the zora prince. but they're all just show up, do a small thing, then do a five room
dungeon
* very generic shrines. 75% are Put Ball in Hole or Use Stasis. would like to have seen them combined into slightly larger, themed shrines maybe
* i don't remember any of characters except the zora prince and the goron boy. pretty much everyone had a story in mm and ww's character designs were stellar. the townsfolk here are very plain
* bokoblins, moblins, and lizalfos are essentially​ the same enemy and the majority of all fights. no poes, dark nuts, iron knuckles, wolfos, etc. in the desert, at the lake, in the snowy mountains, in the forests. the same three enemies
* runes have little use outside of puzzles
* why is temperature even a thing. you put on cold/warm clothes and then ignore it
* by the end i had enough stamina to bypass exploring by gliding off towers. but that's my fault really

not a big shake up to the official zelda tier list

mm
ww
la
tp (need to replay)/botw
ages
the rest

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oddium posted:

7.7 when i'm doing woke thoughts while driving to work, 8.2 while i'm playing it

IGN reviewer spotted

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

oddium posted:

not a big shake up to the official zelda tier list

mm
ww
la
tp (need to replay)/botw
ages
the rest

The wrongest list I've ever seen. :eyepop:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think Corn in the Bible got it so it looked and played like a PSX game, but I don't know how they did that.

e: That might have been Shadow of Mordor. It's been a while since the screenshots were posted.

It was indeed SoM. I don't have the Witcher 3 so I can't say how well it runs!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lttp should be on that list

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It should be at the top of the list

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Placing botw on the same level as TP is really insulting to botw

Adbot