Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Helsing posted:

Haven't been able to post much the last few days and currently phone posting so I don't have any links to drop but I'm disappointed to see nobody bringing up the two funniest breaking stories of the moment,

1) Chrystia Freeland's grandfather was a collaborator and propagandist for the Nazis (using a printing press that was confiscated from Jews who were then sent to a concentration camp and murdered) and she clearly knew about this and lied to cover he - claiming that her inspiring grandfather left the country in 1939 and citing him as an inspiration for her political activism, and

2) Doug Ford had a freakout because someone made an indie film called "Filth City" about Mayor Hogg, who will stop at nothing to prevent a tape of himself smoking crack from going public. As the film's tagline says "the crime rate is high, and so is the mayor"

There are two sound bites of Doug floting around. In one of them he says it's disgusting to drag him through ththe mud. In the second he says it's freedom of speech what you gonna do

Doug can't pick a stance publically :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Political affiliation can be interpreted on two dimensions: empathy and privilege. Many women are privileged however women are highly socialized to be empathetic. So getting a privileged AND unempathetic woman (Leitch, Thatcher, etc.) is truly a special person.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

It's good to see MPs standing up and voting on a good bill in defiance of the cabinet which has obviously been subverted by lobbying. Makes me feel like there's still maybe a little hope in this country :unsmith:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Did you happen to see freeland goose-stepping around in an ss uniform whacking brown people with a riding crop

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

Did you happen to see freeland goose-stepping around in an ss uniform whacking brown people with a riding crop

That part of International Women's Day happens behind closed doors, CI.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

"Sorry industry, we needed your money but also we think your position sucks. We found a compromise where we can claim that it's not our fault the bill passed"

It feels like this is a pretty rare occurrence. If the government really cares about how a vote goes, it goes that way.

On the other hand they're incompetent. Maybe somebody forgot to tell the whip.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/young-canadians-could-pay-dearly-for-liberals-deficits-report/article34244165/

quote:

Young Canadians could pay dearly for Liberals’ deficit-financed spending: report

A review of federal spending has found that Ottawa’s budget for skills and innovation is already approaching $23-billion a year and there is little reporting on what it achieves, a finding that raises questions about Liberal plans to spend more in this area in the 2017 budget.

The University of Ottawa’s Institute of Fiscal Studies and Democracy, led by former parliamentary budget officer Kevin Page, is also expressing strong concern about the size of deficit-financed spending across the board during the first two years of the Liberal government.

“The magnitude of the government’s two-year program spending increase is unprecedented in modern times,” the institute states in a report released Wednesday, pointing to a 12-per-cent hike in government-wide spending over that period. The study said the lone recent exception was the 14.7-per-cent emergency spending increase that followed the 2009 financial crisis.

“Canadians should be concerned about ongoing deficit-financed activities,” states the report on federal skills and innovation spending. “If interest rates increase or economic growth further weakens relative to planning assumptions, young people will be paying dearly for today’s deficit-financed activities.”

hmmm better call up Canadian Technology Thought Leader and Blackberry CEO Jim Balsillie to find out what he thinks

lol millenials are hosed :smuggo:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
are there any canadian Captains of Industry who aren't loving third rate bootlicking dipshits

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Prediction: In 30 years, they'll talk about reserves the same way we talk about residential schools now.

Yeah probably.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

namaste faggots posted:

are there any canadian Captains of Industry who aren't loving third rate bootlicking dipshits

It's easier to rent seek or use regulatory capture and political ties than to actually run your business profitably let alone innovate or compete in world (or hell domestic) markets. So, no.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Alberta tells prosecutors: Don't waste time on cases with 'slim chance' of conviction

:stare:

How much I wouldn't want to tell someone "Sorry, we don't have the money to prosecute the person who attacked you."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Risky Bisquick posted:

There are two sound bites of Doug floting around. In one of them he says it's disgusting to drag him through ththe mud. In the second he says it's freedom of speech what you gonna do

Doug can't pick a stance publically :confused:

He might have realized what how counter productive it was to criticize the film. The angry quote where he fantasized about running the filmmaker over with his car was probably the best promotion the film could ask for (and gave every media outlet a great excuse to run a story a on it in their news section). If I were a producer on that flick I'd want that quote right on the poster.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I've been lead to believe that's pretty much how the justice system works already (i.e. pile on the charges and let the accused plead out so it doesn't even go to trial). Though maybe not for first degree murder.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That is exactly how our justice system works. That combined with counting on the justice system forcing people to put their lives on hold for years at a time taking the fight out of people. It's why the crown in some places is getting super loving pissed that judges are actually tossing cases based on charter violations due to excessive trial lengths.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Full Judge Dredd now.

or maybe fix our social safety net and decriminalize posession of drugs to lighten the burden on our criminal justice system.

Naw, gently caress it, Judge Dredd time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powershift posted:

Full Judge Dredd now.

or maybe fix our social safety net and decriminalize posession of drugs to lighten the burden on our criminal justice system.

Naw, gently caress it, Judge Dredd time.

Our goverment doesn't believe decriminalizing drugs is a good idea, even the ones they're legalizing. And the social safety net? That would mean having to actually fund programs instead of just talking about them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arivia posted:

Our goverment doesn't believe decriminalizing drugs is a good idea, even the ones they're legalizing. And the social safety net? That would mean having to actually fund programs instead of just talking about them.

maybe if we pointed the CRA towards money launderers and real-estate fraud rather than prying back the childcare tax benefit from the hands of minimium wage families there would be enough money to fund some programs.

What frustrates me the most is we know what we're doing wrong. We can quite clearly point at the problem and say "we've been trying to fix that problem the same way for 50 years, and it's not working", and there are shining examples of what does work to massive public benefit, to a cost benefit.

Portugal decriminalizing drugs, treating it as a public health issue.
Salt lake city housing the homeless, giving them a base to rebuild life from. giving them a chance to break the cycle, and reduce the burden.
Colorado legalizing marijuana, reducing opiate overdose deaths by 25%
Finland overhauling their k-6 education system jumping from the bottom of the list of best educated to the top.

These places have been our guinea pig, taking the leap to prove what works. we have such a small largely homogenous population, it would be easy to adopt what works, but there's this thin little layer of opposition to progress known as "the government".

The conservative alternative is worse, taking what has proven to destroy kansas and having all 29 conservative leadership candidates screaming over each other about who implement that failure the fastest.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Alberta tells prosecutors: Don't waste time on cases with 'slim chance' of conviction

How much I wouldn't want to tell someone "Sorry, we don't have the money to prosecute the person who attacked you."

I'd say its a conflict of interest for the judiciary to advocate lobby blackmail for an expansion of funding, but then again polticians vote for their own raises. Money for everyone boys/girls/questioning/twospirit :homebrew:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

maybe if we pointed the CRA towards money launderers and real-estate fraud rather than prying back the childcare tax benefit from the hands of minimium wage families there would be enough money to fund some programs.

What frustrates me the most is we know what we're doing wrong. We can quite clearly point at the problem and say "we've been trying to fix that problem the same way for 50 years, and it's not working", and there are shining examples of what does work to massive public benefit, to a cost benefit.

Portugal decriminalizing drugs, treating it as a public health issue.
Salt lake city housing the homeless, giving them a base to rebuild life from. giving them a chance to break the cycle, and reduce the burden.
Colorado legalizing marijuana, reducing opiate overdose deaths by 25%
Finland overhauling their k-6 education system jumping from the bottom of the list of best educated to the top.

These places have been our guinea pig, taking the leap to prove what works. we have such a small largely homogenous population, it would be easy to adopt what works, but there's this thin little layer of opposition to progress known as "the government".

The conservative alternative is worse, taking what has proven to destroy kansas and having all 29 conservative leadership candidates screaming over each other about who implement that failure the fastest.

Oh great so you've come up with a comprehensive plan to convince your middle class Canadian from Langley or Oakville that they should vote to increase their tax payments in order to make all your dreams of turning Canada into a Nordic paradise a reality.

The problem is your average bridge and tunnel exurbian is a loving oval office face rear end in a top hat who is to busy driving around in a leased luxury car (72 month term) and carrying mortgage payments equivalent to half a month's pay to give. A. gently caress.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
We could pay for the school and homeless housing if we let everyone get high as gently caress whenever they wanted to but taxed the poo poo out of it and also reallocated all funding previously going towards anti drug police units.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's super loving sad, but I agree with the others in that I'm given to understand that that's really already how the system works. If everything had to go to a real trial the system would collapse overnight.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's great because I'd be basically getting a tax rebate just by not wanting to be high all the time.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

PittTheElder posted:

It's super loving sad, but I agree with the others in that I'm given to understand that that's really already how the system works. If everything had to go to a real trial the system would collapse overnight.

If there was a want/need for everything to go to trial, there would be a requirement for 10x the number of crown prosecutors and legal defense. The plea bargain is what keeps the slow gears of justice grinding.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

namaste faggots posted:

Oh great so you've come up with a comprehensive plan to convince your middle class Canadian from Langley or Oakville that they should vote to increase their tax payments in order to make all your dreams of turning Canada into a Nordic paradise a reality.

The problem is your average bridge and tunnel exurbian is a loving oval office face rear end in a top hat who is to busy driving around in a leased luxury car (72 month term) and carrying mortgage payments equivalent to half a month's pay to give. A. gently caress.

Most of those things save money. We're wasting $900 a day hospital beds on people who would be fine sitting at home smoking weed if it was easier to get than heroin. We're wasting emergency room staff and police resources on homeless people looking for somewhere to escape the -30. We're paying teachers to teach 30 3rd graders how to pass a test rather than

We're wasting tax money to do it wrong, and tax money isn't the only cost. It seems a very significant portion of property crime and it's fair to say most violent crime is done in the pursuit of drugs. The increased insurance cost, and cost to each victim is probably enough to pay for some sort of addiction treatment beyond just letting them all steal poo poo and pawn it to OD.

We're paying more to do it wrong.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Powershift posted:

*plays first four notes of O Canada*

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EvilJoven posted:

It's great because I'd be basically getting a tax rebate just by not wanting to be high all the time.

Silly goose. Tax breaks are the most addictive!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Powershift posted:

Most of those things save money. We're wasting $900 a day hospital beds on people who would be fine sitting at home smoking weed if it was easier to get than heroin. We're wasting emergency room staff and police resources on homeless people looking for somewhere to escape the -30. We're paying teachers to teach 30 3rd graders how to pass a test rather than

We're wasting tax money to do it wrong, and tax money isn't the only cost. It seems a very significant portion of property crime and it's fair to say most violent crime is done in the pursuit of drugs. The increased insurance cost, and cost to each victim is probably enough to pay for some sort of addiction treatment beyond just letting them all steal poo poo and pawn it to OD.

You have it good in theory however the people you need to convince are ALWAYS RIGHT and NEVER WRONG

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There's a hell of a lot of truth behind the hackneyed old "an ounce of prevention to save a pound of trouble" or however it goes.

I'm phone posting so I haven't gone looking for studies, but I doubt many would disagree that keeping people from needing to go to the hospital/ER through early prevention and diversion will lead to bigly $$$ savings in the Healthcare system, and much faster access to medical procedures.

Shame people are too shortsighted, fygm and cowardly to make such changes.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/douglastodd/status/839694622586658816

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
They surveyed 1150 people online, seems like a trustworthy and comprehensive study

http://www.edelman.com/trust2017/trust-in-canada/

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

There's a hell of a lot of truth behind the hackneyed old "an ounce of prevention to save a pound of trouble" or however it goes.

I'm phone posting so I haven't gone looking for studies, but I doubt many would disagree that keeping people from needing to go to the hospital/ER through early prevention and diversion will lead to bigly $$$ savings in the Healthcare system, and much faster access to medical procedures.

Shame people are too shortsighted, fygm and cowardly to make such changes.

Well hey if I can get a free house just by being homeless then maybe I'll just be homeless for a year to get my free house. How dare my tax dollars go to helping those people just for being too lazy and stupid to find somewhere to live.

- actual Canadians

The barrier you have to overcome is not financial literacy about prevention being better than cure, it's spite at other people being given free things. See, they get free healthcare so that's fine, homeless people should have that too. But the moment you start giving them free homes there will be a huge backlash even though it's cheaper than their regular emergency room visits.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Another day, another venn diagram that overlaps "Conservative Leadership candidates" with "white supremacists"....

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/09/5-tory-leadership-hopefuls-grant-interviews-to-anti-islam-commentator.html

quote:

OTTAWA—Some federal Conservative leadership contenders have given interviews to a self-proclaimed online journalist who regularly posts accolades to the superiority of white people, along with diatribes against immigration in general and Muslims in particular.

Video of those largely anodyne interviews appear on Kevin J. Johnston’s YouTube channel, FreedomReport.ca, alongside more inflammatory video rants — including one in which Johnston warns Liberal MP Iqra Khalid, author of a motion condemning Islamophobia, that he’ll be there “with a big, fat smile” to film the moment when she’s shot by a “gun nut.”

The interviews — which also appear on the Mississauga Gazette website, billed as an “independent” news site owned by Johnston — illustrate both the potential and the pitfalls faced by politicians in the era of social media and so-called “citizen journalism.”

Johnston, for his part, said he believes most of the leadership hopefuls were well aware of his views when they agreed to speak to him.

I'm sure this is just another misunderstanding or coincidence right?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Canada averages; ICU daily : $3600, and ward daily: $1150. Think about how many families push to keep their relatives, some vegetables or very late Alzheimers/dementia/MS/etc, through the courts getting injunctions to maintain their faith based life values.

This is before the administrative burden we have ugh

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Canada averages; ICU daily : $3600, and ward daily: $1150. Think about how many families push to keep their relatives, some vegetables or very late Alzheimers/dementia/MS/etc, through the courts getting injunctions to maintain their faith based life values.

Stop being a [faith]ophobic, that stuff is off limits. I've also requested to be kept alive as long as possible especially as a vegetable, I'll get back every tax dollar I've sunk into the worthless system. As if my final act would be an act of financial charity to the ontario health system.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 9, 2022

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Stop being a [faith]ophobic, that stuff is off limits. I've also requested to be kept alive as long as possible especially as a vegetable, I'll get back every tax dollar I've sunk into the worthless system. As if my final act would be an act of financial charity to the ontario health system.

Fuckin A tear down the system one brain dead husk at a time!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Risky Bisquick posted:

I have this argument with my mother all the time, that these people are effectively torturing their loved ones thanks to our cultures twisted inability to deal with death. It's not about saving a life, it's about avoiding their own personal pain for as long as possible. When my Grandmother had late stage cancer she was loving begging for death, but our insane medical system insisted on bringing her back repeatedly and prolonging that agony until she didn't even recognize her own child.

I've made it clear in a living will that if I'm ever incapacitated I want the plug pulled. Being artificially kept alive while losing control of my body and facilities is vastly more horrifying than the sweet release of death. :stare:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Rime posted:

I have this argument with my mother all the time, that these people are effectively torturing their loved ones thanks to our cultures twisted inability to deal with death. It's not about saving a life, it's about avoiding their own personal pain for as long as possible. I've made it clear in a living will that if I'm ever incapacitated I want the plug pulled.

Being artificially kept alive while losing control of my body and facilities is vastly more horrifying than the sweet release of death. :stare:

My dad and I have the same agreement. We went through it with my grandfather and watching as his brain turned into mush and he became a shell of a human being basically cemented that I'll eat a shotgun before going through that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Another day, another venn diagram that overlaps "Conservative Leadership candidates" with "white supremacists"....

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/09/5-tory-leadership-hopefuls-grant-interviews-to-anti-islam-commentator.html

I'm sure this is just another misunderstanding or coincidence right?

This is a bit misleading because of this part:

quote:

By Johnston’s count, he’s now interviewed seven Tory leadership contenders, although as of Wednesday he’d posted video of just five — Maxime Bernier, Michael Chong, Erin O’Toole, Pierre Lemieux and Brad Trost. With the exception of Bernier, who agreed to an hour-long phone interview, the others were videotaped for a few minutes following events featuring multiple leadership contestants.

Bernier’s communications director, Maxime Hupe, said his campaign was unaware of Johnston’s views and the candidate certainly doesn’t condone his comments on Khalid, which were posted in mid-February, a month after Bernier spoke to Johnston.

[...]

He said his YouTube channel has gone from just 40 subscribers at the start of the year to almost 4,000 now and half a million views. And while he used to get “a ton of backlash” to his views just a year ago, he said “the pendulum has swung completely the other way, where Canadians do agree with me and they’re looking for that voice — and I’m obviously that voice.”

While candidates approached for an interview at an event would have little chance to check out the requester, Johnston said both Chong and Lemieux knew who he was but talked to him anyway after an event last Sunday.

“As they say, all press is good press.”

However, Chong’s communications director said the candidate had no idea who Johnston was and simply had a “conversation” with him, as he would with anyone who approaches him at a public event.

“Had Kevin Johnston made a formal request for an interview to the campaign, we would have done our due diligence, discovered the nature of his views and posts, and denied the request,” said Chisholm Pothier.

I'm not going to give this guy the page views to go see his videos but I'm guessing these leadership candidates were asked a few questions after events, answered them, and left without having any idea who this guy was. His claims to importance and notoriety in the article are way overblown. "Everybody knows who I am because I have 4,000 Youtube subscribers" is a pretty big leap to make. Really the only candidate who should be in more poo poo based on the Star's reporting is Bernier because he's the only one who actually gave more than a couple minutes of his time and had the opportunity to do due diligence before talking to this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also lmao:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/09/26-year-old-teacher-stuns-liberals-to-win-nomination-to-replace-stphane-dion.html

The Liberals rejected a popular local politician who wanted to run for Dion's old seat in favour of parachuting in a former QLP cabinet minister, only for them to come in last place and get beat for the nomination by a 26-year-old teacher.