Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I just found out about this: during the settings calibration test at the beginning of the game, you can mess with other options to get more dialogue out of 9S. Adjusting the controller vibration produces an interesting response (keep telling 9S you don't feel him tapping you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

dazat posted:

I just found out about this: during the settings calibration test at the beginning of the game, you can mess with other options to get more dialogue out of 9S. Adjusting the controller vibration produces an interesting response (keep telling 9S you don't feel him tapping you).

Well poo poo

Can't wait to unlock chapter select

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How long is a normal run of this game?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Without rushing, doing a lot of sidequests but not all of them, and getting the main endings took me 40 hours.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dazat posted:

You can click Self-Destruct off a bunch for some flavour too. And after you pass the "but thou must!" and flick it on, there's another extra bit if you go back and turn it back off.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Fuzz posted:

Just fought the first "boss" in the desert and then escaped.

... that... was a thing, alright. :stare:

Love these drat games. :allears:

I think I found the boss you were referring to? But it could be another boss.

Still, fuckin' robot orgies that end with murder.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm glad I didn't spoil myself on the music because hearing bits of The Dark Colossus Destroys All gave me goosebumps.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Starting my second playthrough of this game, and man, I'm loving it already. The hack ability is really cool and an interesting trade-off to have instead of using two weapons. And man, playing as 9S is going to get some interesting additional sequences, huh.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just got ending A. It feels a lot more abrupt then NieR's but eh.

I dunno what I was expecting but it just kinda... happened? Like I know that the other playthroughs are what I'm after but everything felt so disjointed and weird. Adam's fake city being like 10 feet long, the cult subplot seeming to be totally random and pointless just to pad things out, eve going "Welp time to be the final boss" just kinda... ehhh. Didn't come close to the absolute mindfuck that was NieR 1's emotional rollercoaster with the king and emil's sacrifice and whatnot.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

You don't know how hard it is to not say something right now. Please do come back later.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The 2nd playthrough is closer to front mission 3 than nier.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Finally got an opportunity to play this a bit today, and it feels like I'm missing something with the dual giant sawblade fight. I try to evade, I get hit. I try to jump, I get hit. I try to find a spot where they can't reach, I get caught between the teeth and liquified. Thought I should ask for advice before playing through the entire prologue again.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Finally got an opportunity to play this a bit today, and it feels like I'm missing something with the dual giant sawblade fight. I try to evade, I get hit. I try to jump, I get hit. I try to find a spot where they can't reach, I get caught between the teeth and liquified. Thought I should ask for advice before playing through the entire prologue again.

Delay the timing a little. You're probably a little bit early since only the first part of the animation gets Iframes. Try double tapping dodge, but not actually pressing it in all the way the first time.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So just to be clear, you're saying it is possible to dodge roll straight through the gears when they're both coming at you horizontally? TBH, I'd be less cagey about it if failure didn't mean playing through the whole thing again. NIce music tho'.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Rangpur posted:

The tricky part with evading is getting used to the fact that it's also the action that starts your run and that you can do it practically indefinitely with little risk. If the blade is anywhere near you, just start evading and don't stop until it isn't. Done correctly, you should also be getting some perfect evades as well.

I know for me the default controls are kind of uncomfortable, since you want to be holding down R1 constantly for the pod shooting. Dodge on R2 feels awkward if you're doing that, so I switched it to L2 and that made it a lot easier to dodge consistently.

Also, it perhaps might help to see how to do it, you can watch Chip Cheezum playing it here and explaining some of the dodge mechanics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIEyXz2mprg&t=1915s

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Rangpur posted:

So just to be clear, you're saying it is possible to dodge roll straight through the gears when they're both coming at you horizontally? TBH, I'd be less cagey about it if failure didn't mean playing through the whole thing again. NIce music tho'.

Yep, if you time it right, 2B will basically phase out of existence and completely dodge the attack, you just gotta figure out the right timing for it.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Rangpur posted:

You can literally spam R2 in those sections and the game won't penalize you for it.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

It helps if you mash the dodge as well. You can basically just chain dodges in this game and it's kind of disgusting on how you can just phase through enemies and bosses with it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Caution major spoilers.

How many of you realized that Emil's shopping theme has the exact same melody notes as the Emil despair theme?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

ntan1 posted:

Caution major spoilers.

How many of you realized that Emil's shopping theme has the exact same melody notes as the Emil despair theme?

As someone that didn't really play the original Nier, I was listening to its soundtrack (not for the first time) and I recognized it from Automata, haha.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I need to switch to English I missed all of Adam and Eve's first speech last night :c

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

ntan1 posted:

Caution major spoilers.

Realized it while in the menu. It's adorable!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

There's no way to buy this for PC as part of Target's current BTGO sale is there?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh my god Emil and his little cart. :allears:

E: Oh Father Servo no please.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 10, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Managed to get my grubby hands on a copy early (god bless game shops breaking UK release dates 3 days early). I've stayed out of the thread the last week or two, so forgive me if I mention anything done to death already. Anyway, was I the only one getting odd Ikaruga vibes from the intro? Not the colour-switching part, obviously, but the white and black ships reminded me a hell of a lot of it.

I'm loving the musical nods to the previous game. They're subtle enough that you don't notice them until they suddenly click and you can't help but hear them. Also caught a reference (I'm assuming) to Red Eyes in the message where you pick your death message, which was cute. And is that Devola and Popola in the background of the 2D section of the first resistance camp you come to?

My only complaints so far are that, for as fun as the combat is, the enemy variety doesn't seem to warrant using more than a couple of moves. There's no ranking system and, so far, no enemies that require or dodge certain attacks, other than the guys with the blast shields. I'm only at the YoRHa rescue mission, still early on, but the challenge is lacking so far. The story and script seems a little dry so far as well. I know I shouldn't be expecting Drakengard 3's silliness, but it's pulling off the emotionless robot trope a little too well thus far. I can imagine that'll make it all the more jarring and satisfying when the game takes it's inevitable hard left into Batshit Wackyland though. It's not clicking with me instantly the way the last game did, but I'm by no means regretting it. I think I'm just impatient to get to the meat of the story.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Just started playing this two hours ago in the UK having never, but always wanted, to play NieR. This is awesome. So weird.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm kinda stuck. I just beat a really big boss and now I've been given a scanner and told to find some friends. It doesn't say where to go, so I've been wandering around aimlessly without much success. Where should I be scanning?

I just beat the big fish boss guy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Probably been asked a billion times. But I'll ask again. I started on hard. Died twice and got the W ending. How far do I have to get before a death isn't an auto ending?

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Detective No. 27 posted:

Probably been asked a billion times. But I'll ask again. I started on hard. Died twice and got the W ending. How far do I have to get before a death isn't an auto ending?

Beat the first boss. Honestly, just turn it down to normal and run through it. It's way less frustrating, and you can just swap back up to hard after you're through.

:ninja:: On normal, even being a sperg and getting all the shortcuts and secrets, took me maybe 30 minutes. MAYBE.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The end of the first mission. It's basically just a prologue, and you'll be able to tell when it ends. Just swap it over to easy to get through it without trouble.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I'm kinda stuck. I just beat a really big boss and now I've been given a scanner and told to find some friends. It doesn't say where to go, so I've been wandering around aimlessly without much success. Where should I be scanning?

I just beat the big fish boss guy.

Go back to the Flooded Ruins and scan around. You can also find a weapon there too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I guess I'll turn it down then. Thanks.

This game is gonna be weird.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Why does the OST come out April 7th I want it now YouTube's quality isn't baaad but it's not what I want

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I think I'm about halfway through Route B and I have no idea how did 9S get captured in route A at all this guy is a one man wrecking machine why is he in the scanning crew he's like godly homg spear and hack evrythang

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
So uh. I was going through the tutorials and the flashlight has an alternative function.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, the game finally crashed on me. PS4-era games have crashed on me more often than any era since, like, scratched up PSX games. Still, it's taken ten hours to get to that point, so that's something.

This game is so incredible. If SE uses this game as the skeleton to do action RPGs from here on out, they'll be doing themselves a real favor. Platinum also demonstrate their skill and versatility, crafting a battle system with the satisfying mechanics they're known for while maintaining the feel of an action RPG over, say, a Bayonetta.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Nothing makes me feel more cool than dashing perfectly 4-5 times out of a huge mob

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm on Route B now and I'm really not enjoying 9S' gameplay, I'm finding myself wishing that I could go back to playing as 2B because not having anything other than a light attack combo and the best thing to do being to either hack enemies or spam spear throws is just kind of boring to me.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gonna be my first game of this series and from the writer so looking forward to trying this. I'm a Platinum fan (where's my Vanquish 2!)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

9S is an extremely powerful boy to be sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Just finished endings A through E, hell of a ride. Best end credits ever. There's a few important sidequests/optional things I missed. Can someone spoil for me the following:

How/where you get the two Emil fights
The big sidequest that sheds more light on 9S and 2B's relationship (where to pick it up and what chapter would work for it)
Where/when to pick up 9S' operator's sidequest

Thanks!

Artelier posted:

So I think I'm about halfway through Route B and I have no idea how did 9S get captured in route A at all this guy is a one man wrecking machine why is he in the scanning crew he's like godly homg spear and hack evrythang

At one point someone calls him a detriment on the battlefield and I just burst out laughing. He's a massacre machine.