Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wise Learned Man posted:

It was led by a guy who allegedly drove a railway spike through a dog's head to intimidate Sugar Ray Leonard's lawyer. It was destined to end in tragedy.

Wait what seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
No he drove a railway spike through a dog's head for a goof.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kilometers Davis posted:

Wait what seriously?

Yes.

http://ringtalk.com/the-real-story-behind-sugar-ray-leonard-bjorn-rebney-the-fbi-a-dead-dog

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
they murdered the dog for the lulz because its name was Spike

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

There should be a reality show that follows around the Diaz brothers while they travel the world beating the poo poo out of dudes like that

I mean I might actually sub fight pass for it

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Dan Didio posted:

No he drove a railway spike through a dog's head for a goof.

SpikeTV

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I don't know how they did it, but they managed to make Anthony Johnson, one of the most imposing dudes in the sport, look really unimposing

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Do you guys think GSP is attractive?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DC was on either twitter or instagram bitching about this poster and said AJ must have done Dana a huge favour to be the focus of this even though he's not champ.

Where as I'd just complain because it's dog poo poo.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
It wasn't an attempt at unionizing

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Josuke Higashikata posted:

DC was on either twitter or instagram bitching about this poster and said AJ must have done Dana a huge favour to be the focus of this even though he's not champ.

Where as I'd just complain because it's dog poo poo.

Saving 500 million a year on graphic design

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive
who's that talented loser from the internet that does way better posters for free? bosslogic?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

It wasn't an attempt at unionizing

Correct. It wasn't anywhere close to unionizing and actually will hurt them most likely when they do try.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Though the last few UFC posters have been incredibly lazy :effort: attempts those bosslogic fan posters are disgusting messes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I liked the time Conor called them out for a poo poo poster and they promptly fixed it up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

oh man redman is fighting atkins method man?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Can anyone translate this from "lovely writing" to English because I have no idea who did what to who and why. Like, what was Rebney's role to start with, what would be gained by him killing a dog, etc.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Johnson wins this and thus ends UFC's hope of having a run of big money, big name cards in the summer.

Could've potentially been looking at GSP Vs Bisping (June), Connor Vs Khabib (July) and Jones Vs Cormier (August).

They'll still have GSP Vs Bisping probably, but they are really struggling for cards at the minute.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i wouldnt bet on rumble winning

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I remember the poster where the fighters were war painted in their nation's colors against a white background, that was good looking. Was that one of the Weidman/Silva fights?

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

I.N.R.I posted:

i wouldnt bet on rumble winning

You can't win a fight that doesn't happen. Bethe promoted to main event vs a very flowy Artem

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trast posted:

I remember the poster where the fighters were war painted in their nation's colors against a white background, that was good looking. Was that one of the Weidman/Silva fights?

I'm pretty sure that that was a McGregor fight. Can't find it though.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Ditch posted:

Can anyone translate this from "lovely writing" to English because I have no idea who did what to who and why. Like, what was Rebney's role to start with, what would be gained by him killing a dog, etc.

Sugar Ray Leonard hired Rebney and this Ersoff guy as talent managers

Then Ray said he had an affair that would ruin his reputation, so Ersoff and Bjorn hired Mike Plonsker, and entertainment lawyer to help with that.

Ersoff didn't want to go as hard as the others on the mistress, so the rest of the crew started beefing with him.

Plonsker put Bjorn in touch with a FBI guy to see if Ersoff would incriminate himself. Ersoff didnt, but the FBI paid a visit to intimidate him anyway.

Ersoff filed a lawsuit against Plonsker and Rebney, then the next day, Ersoff's dog got a metal spike driven through its head.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Do you guys think GSP is attractive?

Yah no homo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think most people would be far more interested in Rumble/Jones than Jones/DC2 tbh.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

EmmyOk posted:

I think most people would be far more interested in Rumble/Jones than Jones/DC2 tbh.

I dunno, I think the possibility of a sober, non-roiding Jones makes for an interesting rematch with DC.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

LobsterMobster posted:

I dunno, I think the possibility of a sober, non-roiding Jones makes for an interesting rematch with DC.

I mean, sure, it's fun to imagine who would win among your favorite super heroes or ninja turtles, but I've long been on the record saying we should only discuss real-world fights that can actually happen

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

LobsterMobster posted:

the possibility of a sober, non-roiding Jones

This isn't loving Candyland. This is the real world. Mixed martial arts. Real fights on planet earth. Cut it out with this poo poo.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

EmmyOk posted:

From a sport/hardcore fan perspective, absolutely. But no way would that get the buyrate of Jones/DC 2. Johnson isn't a draw and has minimal personality. He and Jones are friendly so there's no heat. Meanwhile, Jones and DC hate each others guts and alternate between intentionally and unintentionally hilarious in their interactions.

LobsterMobster posted:

Sugar Ray Leonard hired Rebney and this Ersoff guy as talent managers

Then Ray said he had an affair that would ruin his reputation, so Ersoff and Bjorn hired Mike Plonsker, and entertainment lawyer to help with that.

Ersoff didn't want to go as hard as the others on the mistress, so the rest of the crew started beefing with him.

Plonsker put Bjorn in touch with a FBI guy to see if Ersoff would incriminate himself. Ersoff didnt, but the FBI paid a visit to intimidate him anyway.

Ersoff filed a lawsuit against Plonsker and Rebney, then the next day, Ersoff's dog got a metal spike driven through its head.
I guess it's a really convoluted story anyway but this is at least intelligible, thanks LM!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

Correct. It wasn't anywhere close to unionizing and actually will hurt them most likely when they do try.

yep, their best shot was to jump on board when that baseball lawyer tried to organize them into the PFA. Instead a bunch of fighters were somehow idiotically convinced that a union was a bad thing and that they should be an association instead (which is legally worthless and can not negotiate a CBA which is what they really need), and brought on board shady guys who were toxic.

So, people who were intrigued by the PFA were confused when the 1 or two other wannabe associations started sniping at them, then one of the organizations brought on Bjorn Rebney, then some high-profile names leveraged this whole silly sham to get better contracts for themselves and it ended in a clusterfuck.

At some point if a bunch of fighters and lawyers get together and go "oh wait, we hosed up, we should have lined up behind the PFA" and try to start a real union, the rest of the fighters will think back to what happened and be skeptical. The prospect of a real union ever happening anytime soon, and therefore the well-being of the fighters, was seriously damaged by what happened last year.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of money, what ended up being the upshot of the Reebok deal? I vaguely recall that UFC's justification was that it was going to even out merchandise/sponsorship money so the lower tier guys got more or at least the same somehow? Which I'm assuming did NOT happen.

We're never going to know for sure, but the UFC (and therefore the fighters) got rooked on the Reebok deal because the UFC apparently did not know what the fighters were getting on sponsorship deals.The UFC was going off of anecdotal stories of lower-tier guys struggling to find sponsors and then not getting paid by sponsors, making low-4 figures on the sponsors, etc. The UFC figured "we can do better than that", and proudly presented the new signed long-term sponsorship deal to the fighters.

The mid and upper-tier fighters freaked the gently caress out because they were getting a ton of money on sponsors, in some cases a lot more than even their contracted purse. (sponsors are willing to pay to be displayed on primetime on FOX, go figure). The UFC basically laughed, called bullshit saying there's no way the main card fighters were making that much, then some of those fighters flipped their cards by showing their old now-voided sponsorship contracts, and after that we heard crickets from the UFC.

The UFC negotiated a very bad deal, because it wasn't ostensibly going to be for them, so they had no incentive to figure out what the exclusive sponsorship would really be worth. All they cared about was cleaning up the logo soup and looking more professional, less like NASCAR, which is fine, but they could have gotten a lot more money.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Trast posted:

Weidman/Machida ...

That was a great poster.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

cis autodrag posted:

oh man redman is fighting atkins method man?

no way dc is on the atkins diet

or any diet

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
A RR fight second billed to Chet The Jock Whiteman? drat

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I liked the Lawler Hendricks comic cover poster, even though it wasn't especially well drawn.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

1st AD posted:

or any diet

Maybe the Baskin-Robbins diet

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

1st AD posted:

or any diet

What is the diet called where you order the spicy chicken but only eat two biscuits with it?

That one.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
drat these guys sure love fried chicken haha. I wonder what else they love. Collared greens? Some kind of melon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

• Locked thread