Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Hamshot posted:

If only it were in black and white, it'd be straight out of an infomercial.

To anyone who owns a switch: have you had buyers remorse at all?

Not at all because BotW is amazing for my commute. I haven't had a single day go by where at least one person on the train hasn't been looking over my shoulder for a few minutes before talking to me about the Switch and Zelda. It's kinda weird but neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mahoning posted:

I'm having a little buyer's remorse that I bought any other games besides Breath of the Wild. My poor, poor Snipperclips has been played for all of mayyyyybe 40 minutes compared to like 40 hours of BotW.

:hf: I played the first level of Shovel Knight the other night because I thought it was weird that it was listed as 0.00MB in my storage menu, and other than that it's been like 20 hours or something of Zelda.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
my girlfriend has loved snipperclips and it's a wonderful bonding co-op game :3:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I am playing Zelda in bed. It owns.
This is everything I wanted the WiiU to do and more.

Gonna buy digital for pretty much everything.
Then I can import cheap games from Amazon to Australia when they have sales eventually because it's region free.

System is fantastic.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

parallelodad posted:

The Switch is my new weight loss plan.

I started playing Zelda Sunday morning and ~5 hours later I realized I still hadn't eaten anything yet. This game pulls you in, man.

Also no regrets with my Switch. Mine connects to wifi just fine, doesn't have scratches or the screen or desync issues really. I've gotten the sync issue a time or two but it's momentary and I literally have my dock behind my TV (not recommended) and play 10+ feet away from it. It's a slick piece of hardware. The kickstand sucks but that will be fixed when this arrives today: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXK5P86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found my old cell phone power pack (5v, 2.4A) charges my switch just fine using the pro controller cable. Now I just wish the capacity were a little larger (7x00 mAh I think) but it'll do for a longish plane ride... which already has USB ports anyway.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Putting the Switch up on the exercise bike is the best way to workout. I can put in my hour bike ride without even noticing while hunting down shrines. Hell, sometimes I just end up going longer because I'm trying to get somewhere. The Switch is the culmination of Nintendo's idea of being able to be outside/exercising while still playing games, not locked away inside.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Why didn't the Switch come out on March 10th, tomorrow? It's Mario day, MAR10. Would that have been too corny? Too ironic since there are 0 MARIO games on it yet? Why is my phone still randomly autocorrecting Mario to all caps? Thanks, Mario Run.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Because gently caress waiting an extra week :v:

Blaster Master is out on the Aussie eshop if you want to grab it early.
A new NeoGeo game as well

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's out here in like a couple hours. The only thing that's not it is the patch for pro controller support.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm pretty hype for Blaster Master 0, but also I'm gonna hold off on buying it until I'm done with Zelda and at least one Shovel Knight campaign. I wanna try and avoid giving myself an outrageous backlog on Switch like I have on every other platform >_>

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Question about Switches and regions: I know the Switch isn't region-locked, which owns. I'd like to order a UK Switch because Amazon actually has those in stock, but I'm in the states. How compatible is it with American electronics? Does it come with multiple different AC plugs so I can plug it into my wall, or will I need to invest in a UK/US converter (or worse, will I need to buy a specific US plug from Nintendo)? And I know the UK is PAL while the US is NTSC, will that cause a problem when outputting HDMI to my TV? Is there anything else I'm not thinking about that will cause problems?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm pretty hype for Blaster Master 0, but also I'm gonna hold off on buying it until I'm done with Zelda and at least one Shovel Knight campaign. I wanna try and avoid giving myself an outrageous backlog on Switch like I have on every other platform >_>

Holy poo poo. I LOVED that game as a kid. I'm surprised they're bringing it back.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Be careful with that stand. It looks like it'll block the air intake vents on the back of the console.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

enojy posted:

Why didn't the Switch come out on March 10th, tomorrow? It's Mario day, MAR10. Would that have been too corny? Too ironic since there are 0 MARIO games on it yet? Why is my phone still randomly autocorrecting Mario to all caps? Thanks, Mario Run.

Is that why my loving phone does that? Its been so annoying.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

quiggy posted:

Question about Switches and regions: I know the Switch isn't region-locked, which owns. I'd like to order a UK Switch because Amazon actually has those in stock, but I'm in the states. How compatible is it with American electronics? Does it come with multiple different AC plugs so I can plug it into my wall, or will I need to invest in a UK/US converter (or worse, will I need to buy a specific US plug from Nintendo)? And I know the UK is PAL while the US is NTSC, will that cause a problem when outputting HDMI to my TV? Is there anything else I'm not thinking about that will cause problems?

As someone with a UK switch, it comes with a UK plug. You will need to buy a plug convertor or an american charger.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So I've been playing Fast RMX in handheld and enjoying it. The default controls were a little off so I took the time to completely remap them. That's a fantastic feature.

I also slotted it into the TV and played on my Pro Controller. God drat, that's when this game really shined. I love the fact that the announcers are just two or three people tag-teaming phrases like a monster truck commercial.

The HD rumble in the game is great too.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

VideoGames posted:

As someone with a UK switch, it comes with a UK plug. You will need to buy a plug convertor or an american charger.

Cool, thanks. Do you know about if there are format issues over HDMI between the two regions? I've never futzed about with European electronics before so this is all new to me.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

quiggy posted:

Cool, thanks. Do you know about if there are format issues over HDMI between the two regions? I've never futzed about with European electronics before so this is all new to me.

Most likely there would have been in the old days, but nowatimes I think TVs and electronics auto calibrate.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

glassyalabolas posted:

Be careful with that stand. It looks like it'll block the air intake vents on the back of the console.

If you think about how it sits in the dock, I don't really see the difference for the vents. Isn't the inlet in the top? If it's a problem, it's nothing some time in the garage can't fix.

I wanted the Hori one but it's backordered for months and I have a trip in a week or two. I also considered getting a 3d printed one (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2157876 or something similar) but I like this one for the adjustable angle and being compact.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:smugdon: Sad!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Thanks Iwata

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The thing I like most about the Switch is that most of the games have been challenging, like, SNES challenging. Zelda, Fast, and even Bomberman have been respectably hard, not to mention Shovel Knight

Like they're all really meaty games with lots of content and are hard as gently caress

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvPeDqxLNKo

Anyone use the grips at 2:10? They look really comfy.

Mine come in today I think. Will give a review on here.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Zelda is incredibly hard, but the save system is forgiving.

Usually, you fall off of a cliff in a Zelda game, you get teleported back to where you fell off and you lost a heart. This game? You "die" but it just put you back right where you left off with all your health and items restored to how they were before. It punishes little mistakes, but I don't feel afraid to get in over my head because worst case scenario is that I go back to before the battle with all my used items and broken gear restored.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just read Metal Slug 3 can't be played with a joycon (you need the two of them together), can anyone confirm? That's pretty dumb if true!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beastie posted:

So I've been playing Fast RMX in handheld and enjoying it. The default controls were a little off so I took the time to completely remap them. That's a fantastic feature.

I also slotted it into the TV and played on my Pro Controller. God drat, that's when this game really shined. I love the fact that the announcers are just two or three people tag-teaming phrases like a monster truck commercial.

The HD rumble in the game is great too.

What do you recommend for mapping? I've found the default a little bit off as well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Usually, you fall off of a cliff in a Zelda game, you get teleported back to where you fell off and you lost a heart. This game? You "die" but it just put you back right where you left off with all your health and items restored to how they were before. It punishes little mistakes, but I don't feel afraid to get in over my head because worst case scenario is that I go back to before the battle with all my used items and broken gear restored.

Kind of have to when a common even is jumping off a mountain to land on another mountain in a good spot to climb it. There have been times were I miss a jump and just let myself die to try again. Usually it not that exploitable but its a welcome feature to make me not scared to try crazy daredevil glides.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Astro7x posted:

The bolded bit is still true in the Shrines and the "dungeons". I fell off the Elephant's trunk several times and it just popped me back in there minus one heart.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I put a couple layers of black electric tape on the inside front section of the dock and not only did I test the poo poo out of it to see if there were scratches, but those two layers added a great buffer to where the Switch now feels more secure than before.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mahoning posted:

The bolded bit is still true in the Shrines and the "dungeons". I fell off the Elephant's trunk several times and it just popped me back in there minus one heart.

Same everywhere if you fall into lava or drown. It reverts back to traditional 3d Zelda fall punishment (real light)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
At least Nintendo was a little bit more on point with their marketing this time around.

I, a person nerdy enough and into video games enough to post on the somethingawful.com Games forums, didn't know until like a year ago that the WiiU wasn't just some extra accessory for the Wii. By the time I was even interested in looking into getting one at some point, they were already end of life.

I do hope at least though that Super Mario 3D World is added to the Switch's library.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 9, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Hamshot posted:

If only it were in black and white, it'd be straight out of an infomercial.

To anyone who owns a switch: have you had buyers remorse at all?

Buyers remorse for the Switch? None. Zelda + Blaster Master + Snipper Clips + Fast RMX will keep me occupied until MK8, then I probably won't touch Fast RMX again (good game, but I prefer Mario Kart and simulation type racers compared to FZero type fast arcade racers).

"1 2 Switch" remorse? Yes, what a waste of money. Luckily I got it for 20% off from Amazon, so I should see what the trade-in value is on Amazon and Gamestop.

Pro Controller remorse? Nope. While the joycons + grip is more than usable, the pro controller is nicer.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

parallelodad posted:

What do you recommend for mapping? I've found the default a little bit off as well.

I didn't bring Switch to work today because we have a working lunch, but from the top of my head:

Throttle: I changed this to right trigger
Boost: Moved this from the right shoulder to B
Change Colors: changed from X to Left trigger
Tilt/lean: Shoulder buttons
Brake: A

I was on the fence about the left trigger. I changed it to brake but found I just don't brake very often and I wanted to be able to change boosts without taking my finger off the throttle.

The controls are really rear end-backwards and playing in handheld was kind of difficult. These made it much more tolerable. I'm still much better at the game with the pro.

I wish the game just had a test track or a single race so I could mess around with these without joining a tournament.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Beastie posted:

I didn't bring Switch to work today because we have a working lunch, but from the top of my head:

Throttle: I changed this to right trigger
Boost: Moved this from the right shoulder to B
Change Colors: changed from X to Left trigger
Tilt/lean: Shoulder buttons
Brake: A

I was on the fence about the left trigger. I changed it to brake but found I just don't brake very often and I wanted to be able to change boosts without taking my finger off the throttle.

The controls are really rear end-backwards and playing in handheld was kind of difficult. These made it much more tolerable. I'm still much better at the game with the pro.

I wish the game just had a test track or a single race so I could mess around with these without joining a tournament.

How are you leaning into corners? Do you have 2 fingers on each shoulder?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GreatGreen posted:

I, a person nerdy enough and into video games enough to post on the somethingawful.com Games forums, didn't know until like a year ago that the WiiU wasn't just some extra accessory for the Wii. By the time I was even interested in looking into getting one at some point, they were already end of life.

This sort of blows my mind...

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Louisgod posted:

I put a couple layers of black electric tape on the inside front section of the dock and not only did I test the poo poo out of it to see if there were scratches, but those two layers added a great buffer to where the Switch now feels more secure than before.

Did you cover the rubber pieces at the bottom of the rail or just put tape above it? Why didnt they just put an extra rubber piece at the top and another in the middle instead of leaving it bare plastic? Simple solution that would have cost them $0.01 per unit

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

How are you leaning into corners? Do you have 2 fingers on each trigger?

By default it's the triggers. It's not super useful and I've found it helps only as a last minute correction. That's why I moved them to shoulders.

Let me know if I'm reading your question correctly.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

FireMrshlBill posted:

Did you cover the rubber pieces at the bottom of the rail or just put tape above it? Why didnt they just put an extra rubber piece at the top and another in the middle instead of leaving it bare plastic? Simple solution that would have cost them $0.01 per unit

Put the tape above it, I figured there was no point in covering up the only useful part of the strip. One layer worked fine, but the second was the perfect thickness to make it feel snug but not constricted.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Beastie posted:

By default it's the triggers. It's not super useful and I've found it helps only as a last minute correction. That's why I moved them to shoulders.

Let me know if I'm reading your question correctly.

I guess we are playing differently or using different weight cars, because I use the lean a lot and find it necessary not to hit the drat wall after the first couple of tracks. To the point where Don't want my accelerate anywhere near it.

I have toyed with remapping color change to L. But Ive gotten used to default so I will probably mess myself up at this point.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Astro7x posted:

This sort of blows my mind...

Me too!

I mean for the past few years, I've been like 99% into PC games, so I never sought out the information. But can you really blame me though? In the current video games industry climate of DLC's, add-ons, and nickel and diming the customer to death twice over with every purchase, is it really the customer to blame for thinking that a product named [PREVIOUS PRODUCT'S EXACT NAME]+[QUALIFIER] wouldn't be some add on to the original product?

• Locked thread