Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

It is a god drat tragedy that Nier came out when it did, because this game is fantastic and it deserves better than to get smashed by Horizon and Zelda in the collective gaming memory. The same can probably be said for Yakuza 0 I suppose.

nier is gonna be on pc so it'll have a large audience that neither of those games can reach. it also sold pretty ok from what I've seen. it was never ever gonna be bigger than those tho so it doesn't really matter when it released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Also because numbered sequels sell better it'll just be Horizon Zero Dawn 2 rather than something cleverer like Horizon First/Second/Third Dawn

kinda like Red Dead Redemption 2

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lakbay posted:

Also because numbered sequels sell better it'll just be Horizon Zero Dawn 2 rather than something cleverer like Horizon First/Second/Third Dawn

kinda like Red Dead Redemption 2

I'd be very surprised by that after learning what Zero Dawn is, but RDR 2 is equally stupid, yes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

I've never understood the switching discs arguement. For one i don't tend to switch games more than once in a gaming session.

Also i love plastic boxes. They make me feel like a magpie collecting shiny things.

I have a small child. Discs get sticky fingerprints and get put back in the wrong cases. Also I'm lazy and fat and would have to get up, get the disc, and then bend over to switch it out, and :effort:

Also my PC doesn't even have a disc drive and I just love having dozens of games I can ADHD back and forth between as much as I want.

Even the reselling argument doesn't hold with me because I've never once not regretted reselling any game/console ever. Then again I'm not into the kind of game that gets yearly refreshes ala CoD/Madden.

To add content I loaded Dragon Age Inquisition this morning post-update and didn't really notice any improvement from boost mode.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 9, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ramagamma posted:

I wish i had no affinity for physical copies but i feel horribly cheated buying games digitally without heavy discounts.

I wouldn't go as far as cheated, but with at least a few game stores in walking distance they're going to have to give me a really good discount for an online version if they don't want me to buy a discounted second-hand copy down the street.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'll always be grateful for physical copies after I bought FFXII on PS3 and traded it in three days later.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I absolutely don't give a gently caress about Fromsofts mech games since the PSX era. I'm down with future soulsborne though.

Edit: Although From in it's current state might make something cool out of it.

Given how bad AC4, ACV, and ACVD turned out, I'm super wary of anything From might try with the series at this point.

bloodychill posted:

The Armored Core 2 series was really good, slow customizable mech combat for the time with fairly long mission design. It hasn't aged super well but I hope the new game is a more modern take of that and not the frenetic flying Macross-esque combat that was in the 4 and 5. Not that that isn't fun in its own right but the slow, deliberate combat of 1/2 was so good.

The funny thing is, AC2 isn't a particularly slow game by any respect. But going into Another Age, they started nerfing mobility a lot, like the OB heat penalty or bumping up boosting energy usage and lowering recharge and capacitance on generators. AC3 took it a step further, and Nexus added the booster heat thing which was basically just The Worst Thing.

I mean I'd love a new one, especially if it had VR stuff, but Silent Line proved first person doesn't work that well for the series, and the repeated stumbles past the PS2 don't give me a lot of hope.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

For Honor beat out Horizon and Nioh (and everything else) for February PSN sales. heh

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/top-20-best-selling-ps4-games-on-psn-for-february-/1100-6448572/

Horizon was released on the 28th though so it should win March.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The funny thing is, AC2 isn't a particularly slow game by any respect. But going into Another Age, they started nerfing mobility a lot, like the OB heat penalty or bumping up boosting energy usage and lowering recharge and capacitance on generators. AC3 took it a step further, and Nexus added the booster heat thing which was basically just The Worst Thing.

I mean I'd love a new one, especially if it had VR stuff, but Silent Line proved first person doesn't work that well for the series, and the repeated stumbles past the PS2 don't give me a lot of hope.

There's been enough time since the last one that I think they are likely coming at it with a new eye and hopefully will not repeat what happened with the post-PS2 titles. Incidentally, have you gotten back into your lets play of the series?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Ramagamma posted:

I wish i had no affinity for physical copies but i feel horribly cheated buying games digitally without heavy discounts.

Agreed, this whole digital/physical model is all backwards and should be reversed. The old argument of doing this to keep "brick & mortar" stores happy doesn't ring true any more.

I end up buying physical copies on Amazon anyway - they're often way cheaper than their digital equivalents (15-20%!!) and cheaper than going into an actual store so what's the point?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

There's been enough time since the last one that I think they are likely coming at it with a new eye and hopefully will not repeat what happened with the post-PS2 titles. Incidentally, have you gotten back into your lets play of the series?

The long nightmare of the last few months is clearing. It's hard to keep up the LP between a combination of: A three hour daily commute, two moves, one of which was interstate, temporary homelessness, horrible physical injury, a broken down vehicle, and my recording PC dying.

Should be back up shortly though.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MZ posted:

Agreed, this whole digital/physical model is all backwards and should be reversed. The old argument of doing this to keep "brick & mortar" stores happy doesn't ring true any more.

I end up buying physical copies on Amazon anyway - they're often way cheaper than their digital equivalents (15-20%!!) and cheaper than going into an actual store so what's the point?

It seems to be UK specific but the prices we get charged for digital copies is absurd. 60 uk pounds for just the rights to play a game that i can physically own and resell for 42. Like what the actual gently caress.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah when Amazon hosed up my Zelda pre-order I was like 'I wonder how much the digital version is, lol £60 gently caress that'.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Happy Boost Mode day yall

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Lakbay posted:

There was actually a name drop in the game, someone says: "On the Horizon is a New Dawn!" and I think I rolled my eyes at that

2019: "The sun never sets on our tribe. We are...Zero Dusk."

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yo videogames have dumb names.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Norns posted:

Yo videogames have dumb names.

This is me any time someone mentions a Japanese vita game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure you can watch a dvd/bluray while a digital game is suspended, which you obviously can't with a physical copy.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Samurai Sanders posted:

No spoilers but did any of the words "horizon" "zero" or "dawn" end up meaning anything to the story?

I just did a mission where they reference a project Zero Dawn and it has massive implication into the story so yes at least to the point I'm at it has come up

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

cvnvcnv posted:

Just want to verify, the PS update today not only did not fix the missing Close and Check For Update options on apps, but neutered the Notifications tab as well?

Yeah notifications is chopped salad now.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
First console since GameCube era update:

Horizon is v. good but I'm absolute poo poo at aiming with a controller, which is frustrating in Horizon because I'm also impatient as all get out.

So I decided to put it off for a bit and pick up the Uncharted collection as something a bit more forgiving. And the first one is awesome! I'm stoked I have 4 of them to go through!

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

If you think the first one's awesome (I do), the others will blow your mind.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Failboattootoot posted:

It is a god drat tragedy that Nier came out when it did, because this game is fantastic and it deserves better than to get smashed by Horizon and Zelda in the collective gaming memory. The same can probably be said for Yakuza 0 I suppose.

Yakuza 0 sold very well as will nier since its got two separate cult fanbases excited.

Neither game is going to top charts but they dont have to to do well.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Nier: Automata is so good. I almost wish I was one of those people that took time off work to play.

Don't play Valkyria Chronicles on pc, performance is the same and you're going to be using a controller anyway.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Um, Valkyria Chronicles has mouse aim on PC... It's actually really handy...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its nbd with time stopped

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

For Honor beat out Horizon and Nioh (and everything else) for February PSN sales. heh

Ubisoft defeating koei tecmo is not news.

Koei tecmo selling over 1mm copies of something finally is though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Norns posted:

Yeah notifications is chopped salad now.

maybe it's just because I don't play games with other people or something, but what situations do you have where you didn't just want the most recent notifications, or you needed to be able to go back and find some one from two days ago that was in a specific category? generally if I'm looking at it at all it's just to clear the most recent ones so they aren't marked as unread anymore.

did you really need those "Discover" alerts sectioned off?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I bought Hitman and the tutorial missions worked fine. But whenever I select the first mission (Paris), it's stuck on the loading screen. Is this a well known thing? How can I fix this?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

shut up blegum posted:

I bought Hitman and the tutorial missions worked fine. But whenever I select the first mission (Paris), it's stuck on the loading screen. Is this a well known thing? How can I fix this?

Is the game still downloading?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I added a huge list of couch co-op games to OP

Yo this is a really cool list and addition to the OP. Would you mind adding one with the exclusives people care about as well? I imagine it would look something like

Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Infamous

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Norns posted:

Is the game still downloading?

No, but I did notice that last night, the Paris episode was downloaded before the initial game. If that makes sense. Maybe it's corrupted or something?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

Yo this is a really cool list and addition to the OP. Would you mind adding one with the exclusives people care about as well? I imagine it would look something like

Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Infamous

Also Yakuza and Nioh 😇

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Resogun and uncharted and gravity rush

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I will fight you on Gravity Rush

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shadow225 posted:

I will fight you on Gravity Rush

Its a 7 or 8

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: wrong game

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If I don't have a pro does this update do anything. I'm bad at paying attention.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

shut up blegum posted:

No, but I did notice that last night, the Paris episode was downloaded before the initial game. If that makes sense. Maybe it's corrupted or something?

Quoting myself here, is there a way to uninstall a specific episode of Hitman? I think the Paris episode is broken, but I don't want to uninstall and re-download everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

FishBulb posted:

If I don't have a pro does this update do anything. I'm bad at paying attention.
Nope. Boost is Pro-only. It's got other improvements like simplified notifications and support for external HDDs.