Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Mak0rz posted:

Ah Steel Battalion :allears: My brother in law has that game and I had fun playing what little I did. Unfortunately I'm six and a half feet tall and need a goddamn bar stool to play it comfortably.

What's up fellow tall person. I can't comfortably play Initial D at the arcade

Edit: I didn't ask for the new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

flyboi posted:

Are you going for only English stuff or are you interested in other languages? I got this game

which comes with a ~140 page manga

As well as a bunch of the WaveJack series of games that have physical media that likely hasn't been backed up anywhere.

Very interested in having that digitized but I'm not in a position to take that on myself right now. I will say though that for the disk data itself, I'm hoping GamePres.org will be handling all of the Japanese disk-based material. I know they've got a sealed FDS set just for the sake of archiving "clean" copies of each game.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Got distracted, missed the last seventy pages, skipped to the end, am here now. Any major news or cool poo poo I've missed this year?

Been trying to beat FF5 for the first time. People keep telling me it's super-easy but I basically have no head for JRPG optimization or strategy. I am fairly well along in the game at this point, I just keep expecting it to all fall apart because I saved in a place I shouldn't have without grinding enough or whatever. I spent untold hours down in the statue basement because I basically assume I'm going to get to the very end and be in no shape to beat the game---that's what happened to me with FF1 and FF8.

Tried running Crystalis for speed the other night for kicks, since it's one of the few games I can beat consistently. I had some really stupid deaths early on because as much as I like my 8bitdo pad, it is way too sensitive to hitting an adjacent direction when holding a direction down and suddenly you find yourself walking diagonally right into the hitbox of the thing you're trying to kill. Also my speed is something like 4x slower than the world record, so my routing is probably garbage.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

worthless. posted:

What's up fellow tall person. I can't comfortably play Initial D at the arcade

Edit: I didn't ask for the new page.

I loved playing the drums on Rock Band. My leg muscles not so much.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

Been trying to beat FF5 for the first time. People keep telling me it's super-easy but I basically have no head for JRPG optimization or strategy. I am fairly well along in the game at this point, I just keep expecting it to all fall apart because I saved in a place I shouldn't have without grinding enough or whatever. I spent untold hours down in the statue basement because I basically assume I'm going to get to the very end and be in no shape to beat the game---that's what happened to me with FF1 and FF8.
Sword magic and 2handed on one character, Ninja dual-wielding and Archer's X-Fight on the other, one dedicated healer and buffer. This is by no means crazy optimized but will see you through a lot. Crazy optimized is looking into what a Chemist can do.

e: Cover/Guard and Counter is another good bread-and-butter combo.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 7, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jadius posted:

Thank you, I would very much appreciate it. It still holds together okay without the screws but this thing is so expensive that I'm terrified of using it without the screws too long and have something like one third of it separating and ripping out the IDE connector.

drat, the screws weren't were I thought they were, I'm going to have dig a bit more which won't be until tomorrow, and no guarantee they'll turn up then either, so if someone else has the answer handy that'd be better.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

Got distracted, missed the last seventy pages, skipped to the end, am here now. Any major news or cool poo poo I've missed this year?

Tried running Crystalis for speed the other night for kicks, since it's one of the few games I can beat consistently. I had some really stupid deaths early on because as much as I like my 8bitdo pad, it is way too sensitive to hitting an adjacent direction when holding a direction down and suddenly you find yourself walking diagonally right into the hitbox of the thing you're trying to kill. Also my speed is something like 4x slower than the world record, so my routing is probably garbage.

Glad it wasn't just me, I've definitely fallen off a few ledges from an errant down diagonal when I've tried to swap sides on the d-pad. Although maybe that's accurate to an actual SNES controller, I haven't used one in 20 years

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

Jadius posted:

On the subject of the original Xbox, has anyone here ever used a program called "FlickerFucker"? If you have a modchip or a softmod in your Xbox and install your games to the hard drive this program supposedly allows you to remove the "flicker filter" from the default.xbe file. I have no idea what this flicker filter is that they're talking about (I was thinking maybe some form of AA?), but doing this improves the image quality to a seriously huge degree, at least it does on a CRT. The image is just a lot sharper and, true to its title, there is much less flickering going on when panning the camera around. I always thought the original Xbox's graphics in general held up like total poo poo, but assuming this isn't some placebo effect I'm seeing here, it actually makes things a lot prettier to look at.

Yes, but I didnt use flickerfucker, I had xbmc set as the default laucher and there was an option in there to automatically apply the flicker patch to games.

It really did make games sharper on a CRT at 480i. I dont think it works in 480p though.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Mak0rz posted:

I loved playing the drums on Rock Band. My leg muscles not so much.

Same. The day the adjustable stool for <local arcade>'s Drum Mania broke was a sad day.

They still haven't replaced it, and the way I have to sit to play it like that means I pretty much can't use my left foot at all.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jadius posted:

Does anyone here happen to own Steel Battalion by any chance? Of so I was wondering if some lovely darling of a person might be able to do me a favor and measure one of the 8 screws that go on the bottom of the controller to hold the three large pieces together. A picture of them would be super helpful as well, since I got this thing used and it didn't come with any of them and I was thinking of going to Home Depot and getting some replacements.

On the subject of the original Xbox, has anyone here ever used a program called "FlickerFucker"? If you have a modchip or a softmod in your Xbox and install your games to the hard drive this program supposedly allows you to remove the "flicker filter" from the default.xbe file. I have no idea what this flicker filter is that they're talking about (I was thinking maybe some form of AA?), but doing this improves the image quality to a seriously huge degree, at least it does on a CRT. The image is just a lot sharper and, true to its title, there is much less flickering going on when panning the camera around. I always thought the original Xbox's graphics in general held up like total poo poo, but assuming this isn't some placebo effect I'm seeing here, it actually makes things a lot prettier to look at.

If you find out what the screws are let me know. My copy has been missing them since I got it as well and even Capcom couldn't tell me what they used.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Sorry, this is not retro but....
https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/03/07/the-nintendo-switch-will-be-getting-a-proper-arcade-stick/#3ca178e62594

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

univbee posted:

drat, the screws weren't were I thought they were, I'm going to have dig a bit more which won't be until tomorrow, and no guarantee they'll turn up then either, so if someone else has the answer handy that'd be better.

Thank you anyway. I appreciate the effort.

Djarum posted:

If you find out what the screws are let me know. My copy has been missing them since I got it as well and even Capcom couldn't tell me what they used.

I might just walk into Home Depot tomorrow with 1/3rd of a giant rear end joystick setup and start trying different bolts until I find a winner. I'll feel like the biggest neckbeard on the planet doing this, but it will pass. I can't seem to find any information on the internet about it and I don't have the giant owners manual thing that came with the game, assuming that might have had some information in it so this might be my only option. If I find a good match I'll post the details.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

haha why does forbes have a guy who "writes about video games and pop culture from Japan"

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Allen Wren posted:

NES Classic is still unobtanium, so no.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

haha why does forbes have a guy who "writes about video games and pop culture from Japan"

Literally anyone can blog on Forbes' website, they then get paid a cut of ads once they get a certain amount of views. Forbes' real writers get into the magazine or the non-"contributor" part of the website.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That actually makes a lot of sense, considering the ten five-or-so NEOGEO arcade games on it. I'm curious to see what the Switch would recognise it as, as it shows what the current active controller setups per-player are.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 8, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

In Training posted:

Glad it wasn't just me, I've definitely fallen off a few ledges from an errant down diagonal when I've tried to swap sides on the d-pad. Although maybe that's accurate to an actual SNES controller, I haven't used one in 20 years

I couldn't say since I've never owned a SNES. Also my pad is the weird NES-with-four-face-buttons-and-two-shoulder-buttons job.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sword magic and 2handed on one character, Ninja dual-wielding and Archer's X-Fight on the other, one dedicated healer and buffer. This is by no means crazy optimized but will see you through a lot. Crazy optimized is looking into what a Chemist can do.

e: Cover/Guard and Counter is another good bread-and-butter combo.

I went the route of GIVE ME THE BEST STATS so I've got them all as freelancers at the moment, all four of them with mastered Thief and Monk for best possible speed and strength. Bartz is my physical guy, with mastered Knight and Ninja for cover and dual-wielding, his two ability slots are HP+30% and HP+20%. Lenna is the main caster, with mastered WM, BM and Time Mage (and Geomancer because I was still levelling other characters when her stuff was already done) and she's set for !Black and !Time. Galuf and Faris are similarly built, with BM, WM and Summoner all mastered, with !Summon and !White slotted because I'm always short on HP.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That is a lot of time spent in the statue basement. If you're gonna camp out down there anyway, consider mastering a Red Mage with your casters.

I always split magic duties between two characters, but I can never decide whether it's better to have Time/White on one and Black/Summon on the other, or, say, Black/White on one and Time/Summon on the other. First way gives you a pure support mage and a pure attacker, second lets you throw out buffs quicker and then concentrate on attacking with double strength but does reduce your damage output when you do need healing.

I tend to leave Freelancers for the very last dungeon/boss fight, cause, y'know, training jobs for as long as you can.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jadius posted:

Thank you anyway. I appreciate the effort.

I might just walk into Home Depot tomorrow with 1/3rd of a giant rear end joystick setup and start trying different bolts until I find a winner. I'll feel like the biggest neckbeard on the planet doing this, but it will pass. I can't seem to find any information on the internet about it and I don't have the giant owners manual thing that came with the game, assuming that might have had some information in it so this might be my only option. If I find a good match I'll post the details.

I found my stuff, here's an album with relevant manual pages and pictures of the screw and bridge boards with a tape measure (in cm). The screws have an Alan Key head, there's normally an Alan Key holder and Alan Key under the center console.

I took my stuff quickly and crudely, if I forgot anything or something isn't clear, let me know.

https://imgur.com/a/MC8lT

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

That is a lot of time spent in the statue basement. If you're gonna camp out down there anyway, consider mastering a Red Mage with your casters.

I always split magic duties between two characters, but I can never decide whether it's better to have Time/White on one and Black/Summon on the other, or, say, Black/White on one and Time/Summon on the other. First way gives you a pure support mage and a pure attacker, second lets you throw out buffs quicker and then concentrate on attacking with double strength but does reduce your damage output when you do need healing.

I tend to leave Freelancers for the very last dungeon/boss fight, cause, y'know, training jobs for as long as you can.

What does RM get you that mastering BM and WM separately doesn't?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

DoubleCast I think.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

univbee posted:

I found my stuff, here's an album with relevant manual pages and pictures of the screw and bridge boards with a tape measure (in cm). The screws have an Alan Key head, there's normally an Alan Key holder and Alan Key under the center console.

I took my stuff quickly and crudely, if I forgot anything or something isn't clear, let me know.

https://imgur.com/a/MC8lT

I appreciate the effort. I actually just got back from Lowes with some bolts for it.

Djarum: I ended up using Philips machine screws, #6-32x1/2“. That should fit pretty well.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
What's a good SD card for the Retron 5? Need to transfer translation patches for some import carts.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Machine posted:

What's a good SD card for the Retron 5? Need to transfer translation patches for some import carts.

Any Class 6 or faster SD card from a reputable brand (SanDisk, Samsung, Patriot, etc). It also can't take real advantage of SDXC speeds so don't bother getting a SDXC card if there's going to be a price premium versus a same-size SDHC card.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Miles McCloud posted:

The "joey joe bags" is a GB/GBC/GBA cart reader/writer from BennVenn. It can dump roms and save files, as well as flash new roms to writable carts, including chinese pirates. It can also do weird things like stream live video from a Gameboy Camera but I haven't tested that yet.

Friend, where can I acquire one of these magnificent devices? I need this in ways I can't begin to explain.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/839838589575970816

1.19 gigabyte text file :stonklol:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm fairly sure it'd be trivial programming-wise to remove a lot of cruft from that list.

That said, even a thousand-fold reduction in size to a few megabytes can still be needle-in-a-haystack.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In a fit of stream of consciousness type thinking, the thought occurred to me that I could maybe use a Gameshark to complete N64 games that I at present do not have the patience (or skill) to go back and beat like I did back in the day. Is there a particular version (2.x or 3.x) that's worth pursuing, or is the idea of using it at all halfbaked in general?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

univbee posted:

I'm fairly sure it'd be trivial programming-wise to remove a lot of cruft from that list.

That said, even a thousand-fold reduction in size to a few megabytes can still be needle-in-a-haystack.

It logs every instruction at 7 million per second. I'd imagine a lot of those lines are null/idle entries, yeah.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

It logs every instruction at 7 million per second. I'd imagine a lot of those lines are null/idle entries, yeah.

It would depend a lot on the exact structure of the log file but even the DOS commandline would be able to handle it with the right command(s). Even if the log file structure is weird, byuu is certainly more than capable enough as a programmer to make it work.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I am looking for a solution that may not exist.

I want to play PS1 games, mostly RPGs, in a portable format that accepts savestates or suspended states (like closing the lid on a 3DS). My playtime is very limited and I can't spend a lot of time rushing to get to a save point when I need to finish.

Is there a way to do that with modded PSP or Vita, or some other handheld device? Especially if buying games through PSN or something is an option.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's extremely easy to convert PS1 isos to eboot files which will run on a modded PSP. The only hitch is the savestates/suspension. I think you can just suspend the PSP and pick up where you left later, but I'm not sure.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's extremely easy to convert PS1 isos to eboot files which will run on a modded PSP. The only hitch is the savestates/suspension. I think you can just suspend the PSP and pick up where you left later, but I'm not sure.

You can definitely suspend with a PSP. The PSP Go had a savestate-light feature (pause game), but it's poorly implemented. But a modded PSP is a perfect handheld PS1

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Spoderman posted:

You can definitely suspend with a PSP. The PSP Go had a savestate-light feature (pause game), but it's poorly implemented. But a modded PSP is a perfect handheld PS1

Is there 100% compatibility with PS1 games or will I run into a bunch of BS issues? Any forum posts from GBATemp I can find about like a hundred years old at this point.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Friend, where can I acquire one of these magnificent devices? I need this in ways I can't begin to explain.

I got mine here, a bit pricey but it was worth it to me.

https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/reader-writer-gen2

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there 100% compatibility with PS1 games or will I run into a bunch of BS issues? Any forum posts from GBATemp I can find about like a hundred years old at this point.

Well there are control issues, there are no analog sticks on the psp where some games for ps1 use two. The "analog stick" on the psp is really just a different feeling d-pad, there's nothing analog about it. There's also no r2 and l2 triggers, analog or digital. So from that perspective there is not even close to 100% compatibility. As for how things run, it's not janky and everything I've tried runs and looks fine, beyond the control issues.

You'll want one of the earlier psps if you do go for it because the newer ones (and the Vita) emulate ps1 through software rather than hardware. On the vita you're also looking at third party emulators for ps1 that do introduce some jankiness.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 9, 2017

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The PSP will be cheaper and easier to :pirate: but it also can't directly access the PSN store, you have to go through a PS3 or maybe a PC. Vita has the store, still no savestates but a very quick sleep/wake cycle and can last like a month on one charge in sleep mode. And real thumb sticks, not that it'll matter for RPGs.

There's also the Shield portable, which gives you the full emulator experience, but it's also a huge brick.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

GutBomb posted:

Well there are control issues, there are no analog sticks on the psp where some games for ps1 use two. The "analog stick" on the psp is really just a different feeling d-pad, there's nothing analog about it. There's also no r2 and l2 triggers, analog or digital. So from that perspective there is not even close to 100% compatibility. As for how things run, it's not janky and everything I've tried runs and looks fine, beyond the control issues.

You'll want one of the earlier psps if you do go for it because the newer ones (and the Vita) emulate ps1 through software rather than hardware. On the vita you're also looking at third party emulators for ps1 that do introduce some jankiness.

Not having the R2/L2 seems like a huge dealbreaker. How do you work around it?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

PSP essentially has 100% compatibility with PS1 games, I'm not aware of any that don't work.

Vita is a bit of an odd duck since it's difficult/impossible to mod and can access almost all the PSN PS1 classics but a few (the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games mainly) are incompatible, and a few have to be transferred using a PS3 but will work once they're there.

For hacked systems you can get tools to convert a PS1 ISO to PSP format; these tools often have compression options but for the most part these should be left alone to avoid instability. They will also combine multi-disc games, you switch discs by pressing the PS button and then changing from that menu (and sort-of PDF manuals can also be found here, and button remapping options).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Bigass Moth posted:

Not having the R2/L2 seems like a huge dealbreaker. How do you work around it?
The emulator maps the analog nub to it. Left is L2, right is R2, up is both at once (I think). There is no analog support at all.

• Locked thread