Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dick Nipples posted:

Pretty common in the "Financial Independence/Retire Early" (FIRE) community. I've got a friend that is part of that community that's a former techie. He gets so pissed when he hears people refer to their expenses as "burn rate". I think it may be a side effect of a lot of the FIRE people before former techies. :downswords:

FIRE is also the BLS category for Finance, Insurance and Real Estate in the SIC codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

therobit posted:

I thought retention bonuses were due out on Valentine's Day? When are you conducting anual reviews that they are coming out this late?

Also, you should remind the kids that they are an expense line and not a revenue generating department, so they should be happy for whatever meager bonus pool gets kicked thier way.

If you can get away with one bonus per year, you definitely came out the winner in that contact.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Volmarias posted:

If you can get away with one bonus per year, you definitely came out the winner in that contact.

It really depends on how you structure regular compensation and if you have a good recognition program. Big bonuses are nice, but if people feel unappreciated on a regular basis and feel like things are one sided, they will leave the moment a headhunter comes along and offers them the moon and a flashy company car.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=213033

How Much in Your Emergency Fund and Is it Used?

This feels like BWM to me... a $1,300,000 emergency house purchase because of his wife needing a specific house. I wonder how his conversations with his friends went?

"Hey man, my wife is totally into this sweet house, but I can't afford it."
"That's a shame, maybe you should keep looking."
"Nah, we HAVE to buy it. Can I borrow a hundred grand?"

"Can't you get a mortgage?"
"Nah, bank won't give me one. I need a private loan because our DTI ratios wouldn't support conventional financing.

Bury the lede all day erry day

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

CannonFodder posted:

"Can't you get a mortgage?"
"Nah, bank won't give me one. I need a private loan because our DTI ratios wouldn't support conventional financing.

Bury the lede all day erry day

Not saying this person isn't BWM, but dti matters a lot less for high income people who have illiquid assets. Imagine having 60% of your net income going to housing, but your net income is 800k/year and have a $3MM stock portfolio to fall back on. You can still probably get by just fine if you don't have a bunch of other large debts.

I have seen 100% dti loans that performed just fine.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You guys are joking but I'm not sure everybody has seen the article about wife bonuses in Manhattan: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/opinion/sunday/poor-little-rich-women.html

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

golden bubble posted:

I've found it's more of a "millennials don't carry enough small bills to split the bill properly" problem. I've had a lot of fun "can anyone make change for a $20 in mostly $1?" problems.

Literally why I went to the bank and got a bunch of half dollars and $2s for the office. Yes I can break your $20, and no, it won't work in the vending machine.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

blugu64 posted:

Literally why I went to the bank and got a bunch of half dollars and $2s for the office. Yes I can break your $20, and no, it won't work in the vending machine.

Wait are you American? Because those are the weird coins and the weird bills and you're weird

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ate all the Oreos posted:

Wait are you American? Because those are the weird coins and the weird bills and you're weird

You mean awesome and fun money.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh wait your point is specifically so it won't work in the vending machine I read that wrong and am dum yeah ok that's funny :v:

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
I suspect in a few years it'll turn out that everyone was snickering when the reporter left the room, like Coming of Age in Samoa.

E: that's re. wife bonuses

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Can you still get $2 bills at the bank? I might have to do some calling this morning.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Why?

quote:

$140K in student loans at age 53.

I have 140K in federal and state student loans. I have one more semester to go till I have my master's in counseling. I also have about 3k in credit card debt which I'm not worried about. I've used non-profit debt management before and had success with that.

My credit is shot again, but I know what it takes to get it back. History: I got fired 9 months ago and my unemployment insurance has run out. My partner has been supporting me both financially and emotionally. I've been in the worse depression of my life (I see a shrink regularly). I can't keep a job. I've tried to get several decent paying jobs but end up getting fired.

I make bad decisions about where to work and when I get a job, I can't keep a job. I have problems with authority which stems from PTSD from childhood sexual abuse. Sounds like an excuse, but this is how I understand it. I am figuring all of this out but I'm 53 years old!

I'm learning how to weed out jobs that aren't supportive and deal with lifelong depression but how am I going to pay off this debt? I will never be able to retire. Jobs in my field just don't pay. Which is why I got my BA, which is why I'm getting my MA, and I thought well I'll just get my doctorate so I can make enough to pay back these loans. But it's taken me 15 years to get this far.

Only now am I realizing that I am not capable of being a counselor--I'm too hosed up and internalize everything. I've only come up with 2 solutions: Pay the minimum on my student loans for 10 years (I'll have to work in a non-profit I think. Which again, doesn't pay poo poo.) Then hopefully I can "settle" the loan or something---but I'm not sure if that is even possible.

If I can't do that, the 2nd solution involves a gun. I mean, I don't want to kill myself now, but I'll have to work until I'm over 80 before I retire or pay back these loans, so a bullet would be my "retirement". I'll never have a house, I'll never get to travel, I won't be able to get married because my partner would be responsible for my debt. Any advice would be appreciated. I know I'm a gently caress up. I realize that I should know better. I feel so stupid, ashamed, hopeless, and generally worthless.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2qmo8s/140k_in_student_loans_at_age_53/ by the by

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

quote:

If I can't do that, the 2nd solution involves a gun. I mean, I don't want to kill myself now, but I'll have to work until I'm over 80 before I retire or pay back these loans, so a bullet would be my "retirement"

This is just depressing. I hope the guy can get some professional help.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

greazeball posted:

You guys are joking but I'm not sure everybody has seen the article about wife bonuses in Manhattan: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/opinion/sunday/poor-little-rich-women.html

I remember reading this. Not sure if it qualifies as bwm, but probably more something d&d could get up in arms about.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

RisqueBarber posted:

This is just depressing. I hope the guy can get some professional help.

He got a job as an administrative assistant and decided that he is going to mentally break it up into small payment chunks and use that to measure progress. He says he is no longer depressed, but is still financially boned and is going to tell his partner who has no idea.

No updates about what happened afterwards.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Can you still get $2 bills at the bank? I might have to do some calling this morning.

Yes. You can even have them order you a band or brick of them if you want to take out a few hundred/grand. Make sure they understand you want them still wrapped from the treasury.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Yes. You can even have them order you a band or brick of them if you want to take out a few hundred/grand. Make sure they understand you want them still wrapped from the treasury.

http://archive.woz.org/letters/general/78.html

Woz buys sheets of $2 bills and turns them into perforated gum pads that he carries around for tips.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

blugu64 posted:

My friend paid my fantasy football winnings in $2's one year, and I couldn't be bothered to change them over. It was actually fun to spend them, I swear every purchase brightened the recipients day. Some people even kept them and remembered me for it later.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Mantle posted:

Woz buys sheets of $2 bills and turns them into perforated gum pads that he carries around for tips.

Woz is a treasure

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I worked in retail and $2s were a huge bitch because my cash tray has slots for 1, 5, 10, 20, and 100s so where the hell am I supposed to put this monopoly money you big grinning weirdo nerd

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I worked in retail and $2s were a huge bitch because my cash tray has slots for 1, 5, 10, 20, and 100s so where the hell am I supposed to put this monopoly money you big grinning weirdo nerd

Under the tray or under the hundreds, this is a solved problem

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The only place I've ever gotten $2 bills from was a fancy restaurant where they gave us our change in $2 bills because that was their *thing*

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Paying with $2 bills is what you do when you've officially reached Quirky Old Man status. A bunch of my pharmacy regulars did it, my FIL does it, my husband is on track to do it (loves $1 coins).

It just comes with age like hair in your ears or saggy balls.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Portland's premiere vegan strip club (Casa Diablo) only uses $2 bills, so it's sort of a running joke in the city that if you've got a $2 on you, it's change from the Casa D

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NancyPants posted:

Paying with $2 bills is what you do when you've officially reached Quirky Old Man status. A bunch of my pharmacy regulars did it, my FIL does it, my husband is on track to do it (loves $1 coins).

It just comes with age like hair in your ears or saggy balls.

$1 coins kick rear end, I'd love to see $5 and $10 coins instead of this stupid paper money. $20 would be a good smallest paper denomination.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

And the only place that ever gave me $1 coins in change was the New York City subway system which was pretty novel I guess

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

And the only place that ever gave me $1 coins in change was the New York City subway system which was pretty novel I guess

The Denver Light Rail gives outs $1 coins, as well/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Twerk from Home posted:

$1 coins kick rear end, I'd love to see $5 and $10 coins instead of this stupid paper money. $20 would be a good smallest paper denomination.

Agreed, one of many things I prefer about the euro system (well they do have 5s and 10s but they have the 1 and 2 euro coins which owns).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Baroness posted:

The Denver Light Rail gives outs $1 coins, as well/

The way I understand it switching mass transit systems to using them was part of the push to try to get the public to adopt them entirely so we could get rid of $1 bills but it didn't really work so now they're just an awkward relic

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mantle posted:

As I recall he will sell them to you (per sheet) below face value for the comedy of it. This doesn't even account for all the money he spends having that shop convert the uncut sheets into pads. It is technically bad with money but it's not like he's ever going to run out.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I got them in change at a Ren Faire. Their jousting event was awesome.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The way I understand it switching mass transit systems to using them was part of the push to try to get the public to adopt them entirely so we could get rid of $1 bills but it didn't really work so now they're just an awkward relic

Post office too.

I like the Euro $1 and $2 coin system as well. Much more durable, saves a lot of money in the long run.

Of course I'm one of those evil people who thinks we should just get rid of pennies already.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Mantle posted:

Haha the best part:

quote:

We went into a room and the door was closed. This young Secret Service agent opened a chrome brief case on the table and pulled out a card. He said that he was going to read my my Miranda rights.

He asked my for some picture ID. I have some fake photo ID's that a friend made for me years before, when we could make realistic photo ID's from our computers. Almost nobody else could do this because printers weren't good enough. But I had an expensive early generation dye sublimation printer and made some fake ID's for fun. I had one favorite fake ID that I'd used for almost every airplane flight, domestic and international, that I'd taken for many years. It says "Laser Safety Officer" and has a photo of me with an eyepatch. It also says "Department of Defiance" in an arc, in a font that looks like "Department of Defense" to the casual glance.

As I opened my wallet, I considered whether I should risk using this fake ID on the Secret Service. It probably amounted to a real crime. I had my driver's license as well. But you only live once and only a few of us even get a chance like this once in our lives. So I handed him the fake ID. He noted and returned it. The Secret Service took an ID that said "Laser Safety Officer" with a photo of myself wearing an eyepatch.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He got a job as an administrative assistant and decided that he is going to mentally break it up into small payment chunks and use that to measure progress. He says he is no longer depressed, but is still financially boned and is going to tell his partner who has no idea.

No updates about what happened afterwards.

Holy gently caress, I can't believe his partner doesn't know. Jesus.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That also means the partner doesn't know why they will never get married or maybe even the fact that they will never get married.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That also means the partner doesn't know why they will never get married or maybe even the fact that they will never get married.

It's also a dumb reason because AFAIK the student debt stays with the person, his spouse wouldn't inherit the debt if they got married.

NancyPants posted:

I like the Euro $1 and $2 coin system as well. Much more durable, saves a lot of money in the long run.

Of course I'm one of those evil people who thinks we should just get rid of pennies already.

The problem is that the US $1 coin is very close in size to the quarter (2mm difference), this was a problem with the Susan B Anthony coin and it's still a problem with the new dollar coins because they are the same size.

Speaking of which, there are dollar coins with Presidents on them. How did that go, might you ask?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_$1_Coin_Program posted:

By 2011, 1.4 billion uncirculated $1 coins were stockpiled, which, if stacked flat, could reach from Los Angeles to Chicago. By 2016, this number might have reached two billion.

BWM: minting 2 billion coins that nobody wants.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

monster on a stick posted:

We meet at the horse spa.

I'm no horse whisperer, but isn't 'trapped in an enclosed noisy space with rising water' one of those universal :siren::derp::siren: mammal hindbrain things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

BWM: minting 2 billion coins that nobody wants.

Didn't they let you buy huge amounts of these coins with free shipping a few years ago? People bought as much as their credit card would let them, then just deposited the coins in the bank, paid off the credit card, and collected 5% cash back or whatever they had.

• Locked thread