Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it's mostly the sneak and show matchup, but i dunno. people play lots of weird poo poo and have countermagic.

im not cutting unearths because the only reason for me to play this deck is to cast unearth

e: vensering your own snapcasters back is kinda sweet too but having that sort of mana is probably a pipe dream
That's pretty edge case against Sneak/Show. The goal is to just put him in if they resolve Show & Tell (and hope they aren't able to do anything at instant speed if they are on Omnitell). I guess it's just not clear what the deck is trying to do at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Monkey Cage or bust.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I don't think you need the Fatal Pushes, especially game 1. Maybe like, an Entomb and a Ponder or 2 of one of those and 0 of the other?

standard.deviant posted:

That's pretty edge case against Sneak/Show. The goal is to just put him in if they resolve Show & Tell (and hope they aren't able to do anything at instant speed if they are on Omnitell). I guess it's just not clear what the deck is trying to do at all.

It's trying to use Unearth, Striges, and Snapcasters to play the value game and kill with Mentors. That seems pretty clear to me.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

suicidesteve posted:

It's trying to use Unearth, Striges, and Snapcasters to play the value game and kill with Mentors. That seems pretty clear to me.
I get that, but it just seems like BGx is already better at that game plan. Unearth seems terrible since Miracles is a deck you have to worry about and their removal doesn't put your guys in the GY.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Crosspost from Brewhaus:

I played in the Wisconsin TCGPlayer Championship yesterday and after starting 2-0 without losing a game, I dropped after losing the next 3 matches in a row. The Junk deck I had been playing with relative success for months (pretty much always 4-0 or 3-1 at a varied and reasonably competitive FNM meta) decided to develop a bad habit of making me mulligan to 4 or 5 over and over.

Since I've just built Grixis Control but won't have the cards for next FNM (the seller I bought Ancestral Visions from lost my order) I've decided to try out this monstrosity because Lingering Souls and Liliana are both really good, especially on turn 2.

Deck: Junk

//Lands
4 Blooming Marsh
1 Forest
2 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
3 Marsh Flats
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
2 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Collective Brutality
1 Fatal Push
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
4 Lingering Souls
2 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Path to Exile
2 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Dark Confidant
2 Grim Flayer
3 Noble Hierarch
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf

//Sideboard
2 Collective Brutality
1 Damnation
1 Engineered Explosives
4 Fulminator Mage
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Path to Exile
2 Stony Silence
2 Surgical Extraction

Display deck statistics

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't remember who said it but someone here posted that running cheap-o artifacts just to hit Delirium for Grim Flayer isn't worth it. If that's your primary reason for running Spellbombs then I might consider a couple more mana dorks instead, especially if you're really bent on playing your three-drops early.

God I hope Goyf comes down a decent amount with MM17, it's like the last card I absolutely need for a true BGx build (though I probably need at least one more LotV as well)

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

C-Euro posted:

I don't remember who said it but someone here posted that running cheap-o artifacts just to hit Delirium for Grim Flayer isn't worth it. If that's your primary reason for running Spellbombs then I might consider a couple more mana dorks instead, especially if you're really bent on playing your three-drops early.

You might not be referencing me specifically but I've been beating that drum for a while.

Some Living End has started showing up at FNM and I'm still seeing a lot of 5-0 lists from competitive MTGO leagues and bigger events that run 2 mainboard so I thought I'd give them a shot again.

Otherwise yeah, I would run a 4th Hierarch but I only have 3 :v:

e:

Just checked my post history in this thread and I did actually say that cycling artifacts weren't great in a reply to you. However that was with Mishra's Bauble which I think is just bad because it's a slow-trip. Junk would rather just pay 2 mana to get a new card immediately in the late game or drop it when an extra mana is open early and then crack it for the card later. Also it has the upside of beating graveyard decks in game 1 that Junk usually would need to sideboard for or get a lucky turn 2 Scavenging Ooze.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 6, 2017

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

it's mostly the sneak and show matchup, but i dunno. people play lots of weird poo poo and have countermagic.

im not cutting unearths because the only reason for me to play this deck is to cast unearth

e: vensering your own snapcasters back is kinda sweet too but having that sort of mana is probably a pipe dream
Make sure to play 1 riptide lab and live the dream harder. I tried a sweet deck with unearths and thought scours and mental notes when dig and cruise had just come out, but I went real deep with young Pyromancer, clique, and spellstutter sprite too. ( Yes I did run 1 hypersonic dragon at the top end and got to live the dream of unearthing a spellstutter to counter something).Sadly unearth was one of the worst cards in the deck, but it was fun regardless.

Actually thinking about it, I kinda wanna run unearths in a Leovold bug shell now. Striges snaps and Leovold +deathrite and you've got a solid creature base. And rebuying a Leovold that already drew you a card foe B seems insane.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah i mean i mostly wanted to play a mentor deck in a format that it isn't lame to do that, but i also really want to play Unearth and i think BUG is probably the Unearth Value Train colors

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

yeah i mean i mostly wanted to play a mentor deck in a format that it isn't lame to do that, but i also really want to play Unearth and i think BUG is probably the Unearth Value Train colors

I did like unearth a lot vs everything but miracles. It's a house vs the fair decks. I suggest playing 1 dryad arbor if you can because it's awesome to be able to get mana back with it. Now, you could just play 4 color mentor Leovold :getin: Then you can also play some other value creatures like kambal and maybe get in on the loam action to fill the yard and get some wasteland action going too

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What Memoricide effects are available in UB in Modern? Gonna run UB Mill at my next FNM but I'm having a hard time going 100% UB and cutting Hide//Seek from my SB, as a counter to people running singleton Emrakuls or other combo decks relying on singletons (like Lightning Storm in Ad Nauseum). Getting to cast it on turn 2 is also nice, as is not needing to name a card beforehand. I guess Lost Legacy on turn 3 is probably the next best thing?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

There's surgical extraction...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Surgical isn't a Memoricide effect and also lol if you think you're winning by Surgicaling a milled Emrakul. Also lol if you think you're winning by mill.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Not Modern but last time a guy thought he'd beaten me by Surgicaling my Emrakul I ended up slowly killing him with a single Phyrexian Revoker naming Sneak Attack while he couldn't do anything. I guess the moral of the story here is don't underestimate your opponent and also plan to deal with a really common answer for the only wincon left in your deck after you board out Show and Tell.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

C-Euro posted:

What Memoricide effects are available in UB in Modern? Gonna run UB Mill at my next FNM but I'm having a hard time going 100% UB and cutting Hide//Seek from my SB, as a counter to people running singleton Emrakuls or other combo decks relying on singletons (like Lightning Storm in Ad Nauseum). Getting to cast it on turn 2 is also nice, as is not needing to name a card beforehand. I guess Lost Legacy on turn 3 is probably the next best thing?

Memoricide, cranial extraction, surgical extraction, extirpate, lost legacy, sadistic sacrament

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Molybdenum posted:

Memoricide, cranial extraction, surgical extraction, extirpate, lost legacy, sadistic sacrament

Bitter Ordeal

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Surgical isn't a Memoricide effect and also lol if you think you're winning by Surgicaling a milled Emrakul. Also lol if you think you're winning by mill.

I have actually done both of these things! Well, almost. I beat RG Tron after milling his one Emrakul by Crypt Incursion-ing all but one of his creatures away, and then having enough gas to mill him back out before he could stick said creature :buddy:

E: Also I've been on RG Breach for a few months now and need to mix it up. When there are MM17 boosters for me to throw away my winnings on, I'll probably switch back.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 8, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Jester's Cap. It was once very expensive for a reason after all.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea. I mean if you're running that many of those effects, jester's cap, slaughter games, go crazy. Earwig squad is a fun card in goblins.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I beat Tron with mill all the time in a beautiful time before Ugin :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

I beat Tron with mill all the time in a beautiful time before Ugin :(

Yeah PWs are a pain in rear end for the deck, I nearly lost to a terrible UB Myr deck because they were randomly running LotV and Tezz AoB, stuck both, and ran roughshod over me with them for like ten turns while I fizzled (including turning my Mesmeric Orb that was killing him into a creature with Tezz then making me sac it with Lili, which admittedly was a sweet play)

I run a couple Pithing Needle SB for PWs, as well as Echoing Truth as general bounce. The few Mill decks that are good enough to pop up on other sites are running Set Adrift for that purpose; Set Adrift -> mill spell seems like a nice way to kill something especially if you have Mesmeric Orbs fueling your yard.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yesterday I found a local shop that holds legacy events every couple of months, 75 proxies allowed, and apparently the meta is super broad but with a preference for burn, dredge, and assorted chalice decks. Anybody got some gonzo poo poo that doesn't auto-lose to two or more of those? Getting owned is fine, but I want to blow at least one person's mind.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ragnar34 posted:

Yesterday I found a local shop that holds legacy events every couple of months, 75 proxies allowed, and apparently the meta is super broad but with a preference for burn, dredge, and assorted chalice decks. Anybody got some gonzo poo poo that doesn't auto-lose to two or more of those? Getting owned is fine, but I want to blow at least one person's mind.

Just play Breakdast Burrito aka Oops All Spells.

It's great against anything without Force of Will, and should be reasonable against the Chalice decks when on the play.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

mehall posted:

Just play Breakdast Burrito aka Oops All Spells.

It's great against anything without Force of Will, and should be reasonable against the Chalice decks when on the play.

Please, do not play bad decks that lose to die rolls. Play something like Dragon Stompy (another Chalice deck but with planeswalkers and creatures), or Monored Sneak Attack. Basically, being the Blood Moon/Chalice pain.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

Please, do not play bad decks that lose to die rolls. Play something like Dragon Stompy (another Chalice deck but with planeswalkers and creatures), or Monored Sneak Attack. Basically, being the Blood Moon/Chalice pain.

Play legacy infect.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Play moat stompy. If you have infinite proxies why not go for maximum moats? I've got a list somewhere. But in general it's just all the typical chalice/asteland/crucible shenanigans, chrome Mox, Mox diamond, moats, exalted angels, baneslayers angels, and elspeths. Oh and smokestack because why not.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ragnar34 posted:

The Mighty Quinn fucks up those first two decks:

MAINDECK [60]
Planeswalker [1]
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Spell [36]
2 Council's Judgment
4 Enlightened Tutor
3 Helm of Obedience
1 Humility
2 Isochron Scepter
1 Moat
1 Oblivion Ring
4 Orim's Chant
4 Rest in Peace
1 Runed Halo
4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Terminus
2 Unexpectedly Absent
1 Wrath of God
Land [23]
1 Karakas
2 Kor Haven
4 Scrying Sheets
16 Snow-Covered Plains

SIDEBOARD [15]
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Cursed Totem
2 Disenchant
2 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Peacekeeper
3 Pithing Needle
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Terminus
1 Wrath of God
1 Warmth

The idea is you play real hateful poo poo that stops the opponent from doing what they want to do and then you kill them with elspeth or, more commonly, RIP/Helm combo. You also have Scepter/Chant that effectively locks opponents out. Scepter also good with unexpectedly absent (cast it for zero when opponent cracks a fetch), though I would try an abeyance or two in that slot. The "engine" of the deck is snow lands and scrying sheets.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 9, 2017

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

The Mighty Quinn fucks up those first two decks:

MAINDECK [60]
Planeswalker [1]
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Spell [36]
2 Council's Judgment
4 Enlightened Tutor
3 Helm of Obedience
1 Humility
2 Isochron Scepter
1 Moat
1 Oblivion Ring
4 Orim's Chant
4 Rest in Peace
1 Runed Halo
4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Terminus
2 Unexpectedly Absent
1 Wrath of God
Land [23]
1 Karakas
2 Kor Haven
4 Scrying Sheets
16 Snow-Covered Plains

SIDEBOARD [15]
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Cursed Totem
2 Disenchant
2 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Peacekeeper
3 Pithing Needle
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Terminus
1 Wrath of God
1 Warmth

The idea is you play real hateful poo poo that stops the opponent from doing what they want to do and then you kill them with elspeth or, more commonly, RIP/Helm combo. You also have Scepter/Chant that effectively locks opponents out. Scepter also good with unexpectedly absent (cast it for zero when opponent cracks a fetch), though I would try an abeyance or two in that slot. The "engine" of the deck is snow lands and scrying sheets.

That's a beautiful deck.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've played around with Quinns in Forge and I do like that, so it's down to either that, manaless dredge, or mono-green storm with gaea's touch and friends. I guess it's a question of whether I want to win, ever.

How are high tide decks doing these days?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

I've played around with Quinns in Forge and I do like that, so it's down to either that, manaless dredge, or mono-green storm with gaea's touch and friends. I guess it's a question of whether I want to win, ever.

How are high tide decks doing these days?

Solidarity is still fine, but it did lose a lot from the dig banning a while back. I think it gets the edge over normal high tide at the moment due to being able to maindeck many flusterstorms.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ragnar34 posted:

mono-green storm with gaea's touch and friends.

Wut

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

4 Argothian Enchantress
4 Abundant Growth
4 Elephant Grass
4 Enchantress's Presence
4 Gaea's Touch
4 Wild Growth
4 Utopia Sprawl
4 Early Harvest
2 Gaea's Blessing
4 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Rofellos's Gift
1 Tendrils of Agony
17 Forest

:downs:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ragnar34 posted:

4 Argothian Enchantress
4 Abundant Growth
4 Elephant Grass
4 Enchantress's Presence
4 Gaea's Touch
4 Wild Growth
4 Utopia Sprawl
4 Early Harvest
2 Gaea's Blessing
4 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Rofellos's Gift
1 Tendrils of Agony
17 Forest

:downs:

You're missing Emrakul. Plus, you can't beat a Leovold in 1,000 years.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

EvilBeard posted:

You're missing Emrakul. Plus, you can't beat a Leovold in 1,000 years.

Let's be honest, that deck can't beat a spell in 1,000 years.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Uh you've got a Tendrils in there, CLEARLY it's not monogreen :goonsay:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Uh you've got a Tendrils in there, CLEARLY it's not monogreen :goonsay:

And it bugs the poo poo out of me. There's a green storm spell that gives you a bunch of 4/4s, but I can't find a decent way to give them haste without messing up the rest of the deck.

That list could probably use some tweaking, maybe a couple seals of cleansing. The solution to Leovold is roughly the same as manaless dredge's solution to leyline of the void: either A., dilute the deck with unreliable solutions and then die anyway, or B., go home.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

And it bugs the poo poo out of me. There's a green storm spell that gives you a bunch of 4/4s, but I can't find a decent way to give them haste without messing up the rest of the deck.

Add one Concordant Crossroads, lose to force of will

As someone who likes Enchantress this deck is hilarious and probably not very good

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

Add one Concordant Crossroads, lose to force of will

As someone who likes Enchantress this deck is hilarious and probably not very good

The deck answers force of will with gaea's blessing. The deck can go infinite regardless of counterspells thanks to blessing, assuming the other player dies irl while you're going off.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

Have you tried just straight UB with Fatal Push instead? I always had problems with the Esper list even if the Path/Archive trap interaction was nice. Instead I was able to go up to 4 Ghost Quarters and 4 Orbs maindeck.

Hey whaddya know, I managed to go 2-0-1 at FNM tonight with this pile-
Deck: UB Mill

//Lands
3 Darkslick Shores
3 Flooded Strand
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Island
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
4 Polluted Delta
2 Shelldock Isle
2 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Archive Trap
3 Crypt Incursion
4 Fatal Push
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Mesmeric Orb
3 Mind Funeral
1 Startled Awake
4 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond

//Creatures
4 Hedron Crab
2 Snapcaster Mage

//Sideboard
1 Echoing Truth
2 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Memoricide
1 Murderous Cut
2 Night of Souls' Betrayal
2 Pithing Needle
3 Profane Memento
2 Set Adrift

Display deck statistics

Round 1 vs Merfolk. Game 1 we both keep slow hands, but I stick a Crab, a couple mill spells, and an Orb while he stalls out. He gets a few guys on board late but scoops to a big Crypt Incursion. SB: 2 Adrift (was worried about Chalice) 3 Memento in, 2 Trap 1 Funeral 1 Visions 1 Surgical out. Game 2 he sticks a couple creatures early but I trick him into searching off of a Ghost Quarter and hit him with double Archive Trap...but when I go to Incur right after that he's been holding onto a Spell Pierce I can't pay for. I die. Good on him for not countering a Trap. Game 3 I start Memento-Orb-Orb-Orb and he hesitates. We trade spells and counters for a couple turns but by the time he gets comfortable swinging I've ground him out enough that he dies. Also, a timely Fatal Push on a Master of Waves when he goes for the alpha strike. I thought for sure I'd lose this one but gently caress it! 1-0 (2-1)

Round 2 vs Chord. Game 1 I curve out Crab-Glimpse-Funeral-Snap&Glimpse which is about as good as it gets, and I Incur to put the game out of reach. SB: 2 Night 2 Profane 1 Truth in, forgot what I brought out (Startled? Funeral?). Game 2 I punt when I forget to Hideaway a card to a Shelldock, then mega-punt when I kill a Voice on his turn with another Voice in play :downs: But I'm able to consistently mill him with spells and Crab, Incur for 48(!), and Glimpse him for lethal while staring down lethal. 2-0 (4-1)

Round 3 I split with Jund and play for fun. Game 1 I string together a couple Mind Funerals, then after careful debate decides to fetch when he sees a two-turn kill on board. Oops, double Archive Trap. SB: 1 Truth 3 Memento in, 4 Orbs out (these were the wrong cards to take out!). Games 2 and 3 I mull to six and get Junded out, though I think I scooped too early game 2. This matchup is usually one I don't worry about but he was a good pilot and I kept some stinker hands because of the draw. 2-0-1 (5-3)

Walked out with $25 to blow on MM17 singles, then got home and bought myself a victory pizza. Not bad for a night where I almost stayed home to nap. Other decks on-site: BW Tokens, Death's Shadow Jund, 8-Rack, Blue Moon(?).

Deck feels like it can play a slower game than the Esper version I used to run but can still start real quick, which gives its one-track mind some flexibility. Orb also does serious work against the aggro matchups that are usually a problem. But man, when this deck draws a bad hand, it really draws a bad hand. Specific thoughts-

--It felt bad whenever I had to board out mill spells, because I feel like the deck is a little low on them for a mill deck. I should maybe board out Surgicals more often than I do but I always have a target for it when I draw it.

--Startled Awake is a fun-of but I never drew it. Suggestions for other things to put there?

--I see most mill lists running Set Adrift in the board, but a couple guys were evangelizing to each other about Echoing Truth and I feel like I might run multiple Truths instead since they're more useful against wide strategies. But Set Adrift beats Chalice on 2 which is a pain in the rear end. Any other Chalice-killers in UB in Modern?

--The Memoricides should be Lost Legacy for Emrakuls, but I haven't bothered to pick them up. I also haven't seen any decks locally running Emrakul as of late, so maybe I'm just jumping at shadows and don't need to use the slots on these. Anyone else running Lost Legacy out of the board? What decks do you like it against?

--Kinda want to pick up a couple Damnation for the board if they get cheap enough. Worth running over Night?

--Once again, I ran into the question of whether or not I want Ensnaring Bridge. Jund player suggested it as a SB card over Memento but the latter did a lot of work against Merfolk. Bridge also doesn't play nice with Visions of Beyond but the deck also wants to dump its hand as quickly as possible so maybe that's a case where I would just need to be smart with Visions?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm going to be playing at a GPT tomorrow. I have the drifts not for Chalice (no one plays those near me) but for Leyline of Sanctity, which several people here do use. An Echoing Truth would stop that for a turn but if you put it on top you'll be milling it away with the Orb when they untap.