Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Cartoon Man posted:

Cleared out some slots Kaboom Girl go!

wonder if two kaboom girls will make greg go boom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Gilgamesh fight is tough. It's hard not running out of MP while keeping everyone topped off and still attacking with most of the elementals.

Then sometimes he confuses the beefy Noctis and that's a wipe. Welp.

Edit: or when he one shots Cecil on transform.

Voodoo fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 9, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's my Cecil tip, give him dual wield, two elemental weapons (Trident for water, Vernard for fire), a black belt for counter, and a jeweled ring (ribbon if you got it). Cecil's main role is to provoke/tank, dispell his buffs, and hopefully get a counter hit in which auto seals fire and water. He can also support heal and could benefit from dualcast as well.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

All Gilgamesh objectives in one go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrKs_wdxvpo
I added the HP thresholds while recording via OBS.

WKN

Bartz

Noctis

Ling

Refia

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 9, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Another tip, if you're going to use Olive for DPS, Sparky will NOT seal lightning. Lightning can only be sealed by a spell or hybrid damage skill such as pink haired waifu's electric blitz.

She can seal holy, wind, and Lightning each turn. Jeweled ring prevents paralyze.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Gilg down 2nd try. I had swapped in Snow for Cecil to expand my elemental coverage but ended up swapping back for try 2. The extra healing coverage helped way more. Fights pretty manageable as long as you don't get caught slipping on the hp thresholds and you cover the important elements. Got all quests except for 5 party members because I have like 9 more Shines that I haven't tm'ed up yet. Is the ability materia any good?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Are you guys playing on the Japan version? Because I only have the Type-0 Event...

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

It's in the Trials banner in the Vortex; it's a permanent trial, no time limit.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ah, OK. So, something that I won't be doing for a loooooong time. Like the White Dragon in the Farplane. Thanks!

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
This Gilgamesh trial sounds like a whale job.

Looking at the equipment above really makes me go "nope"

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I'd say the only required TM is DC and maybe a DW, but I feel like it's absolutely doable with a F2P group.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Got Gilgamesh down as a 5-man party on the second attempt. The first attempt I tried to bring an Olive friend instead of a Noctis friend, which was a mistake. Noctis was much, much better. Final party was:

Bartz (Mercedes' Viking Axe)
Cecil (Jeweled Ring)
Refia (Dualcast)
Noctis (Excalibur)
Friend Noctis (no elemental weapons)

Refia did Dualcast Refia things, Cecil was a great tank, the Noctii alternated flask elemental coverage, but honestly the MVP was hands down me having farmed Mercedes' axe ahead of time just because I wanted to have a copy, as it allowed Bartz to seal Wind & Water every single turn.

Forgot to kill him with a limit burst and used 3 Elixirs and some Megaethers, but I can always attempt those with a full 6 man party. Most of the pressure's when he pushes under Thresholds; the turns when I could seal all of his elements, Refia easily healed the party back up.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

hagie posted:

Yeah the only almost required materia is dualcast for refia. But it can be done F2P without it, you just need some luck and strategy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rocketpriest posted:

I saw Nimbus 3 times in 4 runs on Saturday, and have not seen him since. It'd be nice to run into him or a bomb at least once now that I have some bonus units and queen friends.

Still only 1 nimbus sighting and 5 or 6 bomb sightings in 100 or more runs at this point. All I'd have left to farm for is the 30k moogle or queen and nine's materias though so whatever, back to TM grinding and clearing story levels for lapis.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

hagie posted:

I'd think I have the units for it(although my best unit is Chiz with 543 ATK), and I can cover some of the elements with Emperor and Exdeath. I'm not quite where I need to be TM wise, Dualcast and a second Dual Wield are quite a ways away. I probably can't outlast him at the moment.

axe
Jul 28, 2006
Student of the John Zoidberg School of Medicine
Relatively new player, but I just finished my first TM batch for Olive so I actually have a non-useless friend unit to share

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh hey so apparently Ace's Wild Card doesn't count as either Magic or Hybrid damage to nullify Gilgamesh's Electrocute, despite carrying the elements of his weapons and explicitly saying "Magic Damage". What a load of bull.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Re: Gilgamesh

Lighting using Excalibur + Chijiraiden, attacking with Lightning Blitz and Bartz using Viking Axe and Golem Staff, attacking with Wind Barrage will seal all 6 elements or did I miss something there?

My party is looking like Lightning, Refia, Bartz, and Cecil with a Noctis I guess as my friend unit.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
I'm certainly not as TM heavy as others but I've got a fairly useful lead and 50 slots open right now:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Re: Gilgamesh

Lighting using Excalibur + Chijiraiden, attacking with Lightning Blitz and Bartz using Viking Axe and Golem Staff, attacking with Wind Barrage will seal all 6 elements or did I miss something there?

My party is looking like Lightning, Refia, Bartz, and Cecil with a Noctis I guess as my friend unit.

Lightning Blitz won't work, it needs to be explicitly magical or hybrid lightning damage.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

HGH posted:

Lightning Blitz won't work, it needs to be explicitly magical or hybrid lightning damage.

Well if I can find a Noctis with Ifrit and an Excaliur that should cover the same spread of elements.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Thinking about how you could run Gilgamesh without a bunch of TMs/TM gear. If you have the units for it I'd probably roll with Rain wielding a rune blade for holy/earth/fire and then Bartz with a trident for water/air. Cecil would tank, and then I'd probably use 2 healers, optimally Refia and Luka. Companion would be a Noctis for cover and dps. Load them all up with as many hp%+ and muscle belts as you can muster. It'd take awhile but I feel like it would be a pretty safe run.

Edit: I'd probably use Ling in place of a second healer unless you couldn't keep up with the damage.

hamsystem fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 9, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PaybackJack posted:

Well if I can find a Noctis with Ifrit and an Excaliur that should cover the same spread of elements.

You mean Chirijiraden? Ifrit doesn't make your attacks deal fire damage.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
This game really needs an auto-sell option because it really sucks getting like 20+ new items every few runs of earth shrine.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Kheldarn posted:

Ah, OK. So, something that I won't be doing for a loooooong time. Like the White Dragon in the Farplane. Thanks!

I managed to take it down after a week with a bit of luck, it's vulnerable to paralyse, sleep and poison!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

This game really needs an auto-sell option because it really sucks getting like 20+ new items every few runs of earth shrine.

The QoL updates that let things stack until 200 was a godsend though.

I'm up to 125 material slots and it lets me run for days on end now.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I was busy as gently caress with work today so I didn't get to do Gilgamesh until now.

Downed it with a 5 man team of Refia, Cecil, CoD, Bartz, and friend Noctis. Sat Emperor and Olive. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought and Golem was incredible for this fight. CoD has been my MVP for forever and I've used her on pretty much every boss/trial. Quadruple man eater worked awesome for Gilgamesh.

Pro Tip: The Demonic Life materia is amaaaaaaaaaazing for this fight. Stick it on Cecil and he'll have permanent undispellable +40% all stats for the whole fight after he takes an 80% dirt nap.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nuebot posted:

10 extra item slots (you'll need them soon or later anyways) and that'll cover you for hundreds of Earth Shrine runs. Then every few hundred/thousand runs you go and sell all the full stacks of items that drop from grinding there. It's better to buy 25 extra inventory slots than pull Bedile #3429634

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

All missions cleared!

Today was a fun day, the Gilgamesh fight owns. It felt like a fun challenging culmination of all the poo poo and time I've sunk into this game. It's been a long time since I properly felt challenged and felt good about overcoming that challenge. Probably not since the Tower of Babel event and killing Golbez and his bullshit AOE death.

The only thing that sucks about finishing all missions is putting my A team back together and gearing it correctly. All my TM gear and weapons got spread out amongst like 10 drat units. Gumi needs to patch in gear loadouts asap.

A team getting swole as gently caress. Still wish I had a Noctis but I won't bitch about it since I scored Olive.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
No chainers, bad team. :P

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I really can't chain worth a poo poo. Luckily it hasn't been necessary in the meta so far.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, I'm looking forward to the Trials now that we're starting to get the good and hard ones with legitimately good rewards, since going forward these Trials will generally reward gear, materia, and Moogles.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Back to the Phantoma grind. :sigh:

edit-

loving incredible.

dangerous.hotdog fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 10, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Got this lil' cutie today. Finally.

Finally, it is time. Time to KNOCK PEOPLE DOWN.

Trials are non-event currency grind week fun. Gonna test Rain/Bartz out next week.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

hagie posted:

Nah it's totally new player friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU2NYd6Y5G0

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I was busy as gently caress with work today so I didn't get to do Gilgamesh until now.

Downed it with a 5 man team of Refia, Cecil, CoD, Bartz, and friend Noctis. Sat Emperor and Olive. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought and Golem was incredible for this fight. CoD has been my MVP for forever and I've used her on pretty much every boss/trial. Quadruple man eater worked awesome for Gilgamesh.

Pro Tip: The Demonic Life materia is amaaaaaaaaaazing for this fight. Stick it on Cecil and he'll have permanent undispellable +40% all stats for the whole fight after he takes an 80% dirt nap.
Can you share your loadout? What did CoD do?
I had a similar team but with Gilgamesh and Ace instead of Bartz.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HGH posted:

Can you share your loadout? What did CoD do?
I had a similar team but with Gilgamesh and Ace instead of Bartz.

Her buffed up maneaters and omniveil are pretty great. I've found Omniveil neuters most bosses in general, really.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Come on Gumi, give me that moogle!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Got my slave-maker posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Wow, 10 people will get a 5% moogle!!

Gumis generosity knows no bounds

• Locked thread