Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LentThem posted:

i cannot handle spice, lactose, or alcohol. this means i am the superior race

Makes sense. Your ancestors must have been pretty influential to have survived with all those dietary restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

BCR posted:

They had IBM or someone holding their hands for decades before IBM sold them the actual chinese branch.

And they basically just copied old sturdy Thinkpad designs for a decade before introducing any sort of innovations (not complaining, I loving love my 2012 thinkpad for having the exact same design language of its predecessors but with chiclet keys). Unsurprisingly the new thinkpads are kinda crappy compared to old ones and the consumer level stuff lenovo puts out average at best, so yeah, Chinar'd. (OTOH I guess that's just the way laptop markets are these days, tho')

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

KillingPablo posted:

a lot of Chinese people are absolutely convinced they have the spiciest food in the world and refuse to believe that a foreigner can eat it. I mean, they literally act like Chinese are a separate species who are able to digest spicy food while Westerners will just burst into flames

dude, you keep misspelling "Koreans"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

KillingPablo posted:

I mean, they literally act like Chinese are a separate species who are able to digest spicy food while Westerners will just burst into flames (actually that explains the whole "TCM only works if you're Chinese" thing people keep telling me).

Yeah, some people literally do believe this in various Asian countries--it's a problem for pharmaceutical marketing, for instance, where if you want to sell medicine to people you either have to disguise that it's a Western cure or somehow convince people that yes, this medicine will work on Westerners and Asians!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Chinar experience tonight:

I'm eating dinner with my parents and son and a table of two Chinese men and a baby sit down next to us. I couldn't be sure they were Chinese until they started making phone calls and then it was painfully obvious since everyone in the restaurant could hear them. At this point, I picked up my boy and started making circles around their table loudly talking in Chinese, basically just describing what I saw and commenting on their baby. They brought their kid up to mine so the kids could do that thing babies who haven't learned how to socialize yet do when they just stare and awkwardly grab at lumps of flesh before laughing. All this time I'm still speaking Chinese. Then they return to their table and start asking each other how old they think my kid is. I, in Chinese, say how old he is and they both stare at me for a long time. Then they turn back to each other and begin discussing the possibility of the foreigner speaking Chinese or if they just misheard me.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ladron posted:

dude, you keep misspelling "Koreans"

With the exception of that one fire chicken dish that is 99% Chilis and 1% chicken, Korean "spicy" usually maxes out at a 4-5 on the spiciness scale. The Korean Gochujang paste which is the base flavour for all of their dishes pretty much plateaus at a "6", and that's only if you eat it straight from the container. Anything even a minuscule amount more spicy than that will cause them to put on an overly-dramatic show of "Oh my god, this is sooooooo spicy!"

I've found that dakgalbi is pretty much the max that most Koreans are willing to put up with "heat wise" and that's pretty much them walking the edge of their spicy tolerance. I'm sure if you took dakgalbi and added 1 drop of Tabasco sauce, everyone would declare it inedible because it is just too spicy.

Now in China, if I went to a Malatang restaurant, I'd usually have at least 3/4 of the patrons watching me with concerned or apprehensive looks on their faces when I started to eat. After the first or second mouthful they'd stop the, "OhhhHHHhhhh! The foreigner can eat spicy food!?!" and then either go back to their own conversations, or in the odd case some guy would start speeding up, because he has to prove that he is more spice tolerant than I was. Malatang was by my scale 6-7, but then again I don't buy Ghost Pepper/Reaper Chili sauce.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Chinar experience tonight:

Then they return to their table and start asking each other how old they think my kid is. I, in Chinese, say how old he is and they both stare at me for a long time. Then they turn back to each other and begin discussing the possibility of the foreigner speaking Chinese or if they just misheard me.

They probably just assumed you were doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vgoEhsJORU

Blistex fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 9, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The hottest thing in Korea was fire chicken which is the flavor in the ramen that is all the rage on youtube right now. It's not that hot.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
lol at people reccing Witcher for Haier, the man doesn't need to watch a fake polish man have sex with women, he can just do it himself

Meanwhile, Skyrim should be just at his level

Nanomashoes posted:

Both The Witcher 3 and Demon's Souls are incredible, but we all know Morrowind is the true China video game.
Wealth beyond measure outlander

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Blistex posted:

With the exception of that one fire chicken dish that is 99% Chilis and 1% chicken, Korean "spicy" usually maxes out at a 4-5 on the spiciness scale.

I am completely aware of this, but ask any korean and they will say that their food is the spiciest on the planet and has been for millions of years, even before the portuguese brought chili peppers to their peninsula, so peaceful, so kind, which is the point/joke I was trying to make by saying he misspelled "koreans" because they think they are the only ones with spicy food in the entire world.

also this:

Atlas Hugged posted:

The hottest thing in Korea was fire chicken which is the flavor in the ramen that is all the rage on youtube right now. It's not that hot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I inadvertently shamed the hell out of a restaurant when I was in China the first time but I dont care because you dont get to call chili oil hot.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Haier posted:

IMO, Chinese people are bigger babies about spicy food than most Europeans, but nobody has the Russians beat when it comes to spice intolerance and the associated superstitions (Chinese: "I get a herpes outbreak," to Russians: "Chilis cause cancer!"). If you're from the Americas, your basic level of spicy is probably getting near the high range of spicy for Chinese people. Sure, there are a few provinces that are proud of their using one/two types of boring peppers in their food, but the average Chinese can't even eat ginger without moaning about how bad it burns them.

I had this northern chinese fish soup once (水煮鱼) that almost loving killed me, and I'm used to Thai and Indian cooking.

Edit: This one http://www.xinshipu.com/zuofa/57892

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah I should have clarified this was a Sichuan place so it's normally legit spicy.

Dak galbi infuriates me with the spread between how spicy they act like it is and how spicy it really is.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Koreans dont like it when you say adding more of their terrible spice sauce would only make the dish sweeter.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

ladron posted:

I am completely aware of this, but ask any korean and they will say that their food is the spiciest on the planet and has been for millions of years, even before the portuguese brought chili peppers to their peninsula, so peaceful, so kind, which is the point/joke I was trying to make by saying he misspelled "koreans" because they think they are the only ones with spicy food in the entire world.

Perhaps this is unanswerable, but where do they get this idea that Korean or Chinese dishes are oh-so-spicy? You'd think that, in China at least, there would be some historical awareness that their Indian neighbours also use a lot of spice in their food.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 9, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kopijeger posted:

Perhaps this is unanswerable, but where do they get this idea that Korean or Chinese dishes are oh-so-spicy? You'd think that, in China at least, there would be some historical awareness that their Indians neighbours also use a lot of spice in their food.

"We Chinese/Koreans are surely the best"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
At my high school in Korea we had to do a demo class for visiting teachers (both foreign and Korean). After demo classes, we were going to a Korean restaurant and invited the visiting teachers to come with us. One of them was from Louisiana and during the meal (like every meal that involves Koreans eating with some foreigner they have never met) he warned him that the Kimchi was spicy. We mentioned to him that the guy was from Louisiana, and that he was likely used to a level of spiciness that doesn't exist in Asia. As luck would have it, this teacher carried a bottle of hot sauce with him in his man-purse and offered it to the Korean teacher, who sniffed it, had his eyes instantly start to water and turn red, then handed it back saying it didn't seem that spicy, just smelled bad.

So very close to epic-face-loss.mp4 (had my phone ready to record the magic)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kopijeger posted:

Perhaps this is unanswerable, but where do they get this idea that Korean or Chinese dishes are oh-so-spicy? You'd think that, in China at least, there would be some historical awareness that their Indians neighbours also use a lot of spice in their food.

Also, complete ignorance for the world outside their doorstep.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
To be fair, there's something to be said for different kinds of spice hitting different taste notes. When I was living in Bangkok it was easy to find Thai people who thought Mexican food, or some American food (wings) were pretty spicy, because of how different the spice from like habañeros or strong wing sauce is compared to the taste of... whatever you call Thai chili peppers.

I would still get the reaction of "The foreigner can eat spicy food???" when I ordered, though.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kopijeger posted:

Might be a myth that was based in fact originally and not keeping pace with changing times. It could have been something that started during the Korean war with all the US/UK/CAN/ soldiers who were used to 5-7 flakes of black pepper being "spicy" trying to eat Korean food and fumbling for their canteens?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blistex posted:

Might be a myth that was based in fact originally and not keeping pace with changing times. It could have been something that started during the Korean war with all the US/UK/CAN/ soldiers who were used to 5-7 flakes of black pepper being "spicy" trying to eat Korean food and fumbling for their canteens?

Its this. They never updated their stereotypes to reflect how American tastes have dramatically changed. Like, Pizza wasnt even a big thing for Americans last time they updated their food stereotypes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

To be fair, there's something to be said for different kinds of spice hitting different taste notes. When I was living in Bangkok it was easy to find Thai people who thought Mexican food, or some American food (wings) were pretty spicy, because of how different the spice from like habañeros or strong wing sauce is compared to the taste of... whatever you call Thai chili peppers.

I would still get the reaction of "The foreigner can eat spicy food???" when I ordered, though.

quote:

The name indicates something or someone from La Habana (Havana). In English, it is sometimes spelled and pronounced habañero, the tilde being added as a hyperforeignism patterned after jalapeño.[3]

And the Thais call their chili peppers "chili peppers".

Kopijeger posted:

Perhaps this is unanswerable, but where do they get this idea that Korean or Chinese dishes are oh-so-spicy? You'd think that, in China at least, there would be some historical awareness that their Indian neighbours also use a lot of spice in their food.

"By which metric can we beat the Japanese?"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Huh, never knew that before.

I can't remember if there's a special English name for Thai chilis other than "Thai chilis"

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Could it be these?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Yeah, that's them! That fish-sauce-and-chilis thing they have a picture of in the article is awesome.

Here in Taiwan most of the food isn't very spicy but they also have no problem believing foreigners can eat whatever, in my experience.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

Huh, never knew that before.

I can't remember if there's a special English name for Thai chilis other than "Thai chilis"

We call them Bird's Eye Chilies.

Thai people call them "Mouse poo poo Chilies" but they have a bunch of different ones, I'm just guessing those are the ones you talk about -- the tiny firey ones with a fruity taste (if you can taste them at all over the heat)

Also the word for chili in Thai is "prik"

And when you order your dish you often say how spicy you want it by saying how many chilies you want crushed up in there

So you will say something like "give me a papaya salad with three pricks in it"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, that's them! That fish-sauce-and-chilis thing they have a picture of in the article is awesome.

Here in Taiwan most of the food isn't very spicy but they also have no problem believing foreigners can eat whatever, in my experience.

This is because Taiwanese are not retarded WRT things about foreigners, which is always a nice surprise when you're traveling around Asia.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Sheep-Goats posted:

So you will say something like "give me a papaya salad with three pricks in it"

papaya salad with saam prik

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Atlas Hugged posted:

I spent $20 on that poo poo and now I want to murder everyone from all of those videos for wasting my time and money. Just incredibly mediocre and I'm convinced that all those videos were just company marketing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

we all know Morrowind is the true China video game.

wow I never realized this

in morrowind everyone of the native race hates you and wonders why you're there wasting their time

even if you're the same race as them they know you're an outsider and want you to go back where you came from

the only time they show you any respect is when you prove yourself to be a reincarnation of one of their gods lmao

from what I've read that deffo sounds like china

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Someone post the Morrowind post from many a thread ago.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Who are the Ashlanders and who are the Great Houses in this analogy?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Some of their kimchis can be fairly spicy, but I think it also depends upon which part of the country you're in. Thai food is usually much hotter for sure though.

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, Taiwanese food is extremely mild. Very few of their dishes use peppers at all. I could eat dumplings all day though, pretty sure I ate my weight in them while I was there 2 weeks ago.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

Kopijeger posted:

Who are the Ashlanders and who are the Great Houses in this analogy?

Ashlanders are Koreans, Japanese, Thais, etc. The Great Houses are the the big energy and construction companies that are all government owned (these guys https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2015/07/22/china-global-500-government-owned/%3Fsource%3Ddam ). Need them to do anything in China.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

from what I've read that deffo sounds like china

Morrowind and China Similarities:

- Everyone hates you. If you try to use your powers of speech to butter them up that will just make them hate you more. Bribery however, is very effective.

- Most medical services come in the form of unregulated alchemists who brew potions from a wide variety of substances both mundane and exotic. These concoctions are purported to do everything from curing diseases to improving stamina.

- Anything not nailed to the floor with be stolen.

- All of the natives are obsessed with wealth "beyond measure" yet all that be seen in the cities are scenes of filth and poverty punctuated by the occasional opulent palace sealed off from the masses.

- The people destroy the ancient ruins of their land with reckless abandon in their search for trinkets they can sell for a profit.

- Many of the natives constantly deride the Foreign Empire and perpetually believe that a reckoning is at hand. This is despite the fact that their military forces are capable of little more than maintaining domestic law and order.

- The land is so blighted and the air so foul that moving at any speed faster than a snail's pace will quickly leave you huffing and puffing, drained of stamina.

- Any crime, no matter how severe, can be summarily settled with a cash payment.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

HoboNews posted:

Ashlanders are Koreans, Japanese, Thais, etc. The Great Houses are the the big energy and construction companies that are all government owned (these guys https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2015/07/22/china-global-500-government-owned/%3Fsource%3Ddam ). Need them to do anything in China.

Ashlanders are definitely the Uighurs, sorry

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
The Dunmer are cool and I won't suffer them to be compared to China, outlanders.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

Both The Witcher 3 and Demon's Souls are incredible, but we all know Morrowind is the true China video game.

Actually the true China game is KoF '99. Why 99 and not 98 or 2000? My friends in the Chinese FGC (who play modern games) are also flummoxed.

Seriously tho every arcade in this county has like 20 '99 cabs with tons of chain smoking dudes putting down tons of money on betting on local favorites, and sometimes it turns into real life violence.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

binge crotching posted:

Some of their kimchis can be fairly spicy, but I think it also depends upon which part of the country you're in. Thai food is usually much hotter for sure though.

While in Seoul late last year we went to one of those late night restaurants you go to to drink somaek and eat. Our Korean speaking friend ordered us two soup things that you cook on little gas stoves on the table. One was a chicken thigh and potatoes thing that was incredibly spicy and delicious. The other consisted of pure capsaicin, canned tuna, and pork.

It was definitely one of the spiciest foods I'd ever had, but it also had zero flavor. I ate all of the chicken and potatoes in the other dish.

It definitely didn't have the same tangs or flavors that you find in spicy Thai, Indian, or Yucatán food. But I guess if the goal is just to have a pissimg match about spicy, they did pretty well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kopijeger posted:

I really only encountered the spicy thing in Korea. Here in Sichuan nobody seems surprised, they serve the food without toning it down, and my students all knew chili peppers came from Central America (except one and another student called him an idiot). They're more aware of the food history here--Sichuan food wasn't spicy at all until a bunch of immigrants moved here from other parts of China and brought the chilies they'd acquired from the Portuguese.

In Thailand they also refuse to make food spicy, so I had the odd experience that the most authentic and good Thai food I've ever had was at Lotus of Siam in Las Vegas, not Bangkok. Except one meal where I was with a Bangkok goon who spoke enough Thai to argue with the woman for ten minutes and get her to make the food with peppers in it.

One school I worked at in Korea there was a teacher whose grandmother made the best kimchi in the world. Tasted amazing and actually spicy, she eventually made me my own box of it. :kimchi:

MetaJew posted:

It was definitely one of the spiciest foods I'd ever had, but it also had zero flavor. I ate all of the chicken and potatoes in the other dish.

Korean food is very good but it ain't complex or subtle. Though I've been to a couple places in Seoul with young chefs trying to change that and the results were amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

Cuz most taiwanese people die if they come across actually sort-of spicy food. Source: My Taiwanese friends in Sichuan.

But generally "chinese food is spicy" only gets said if you combine all chinese food into some monolith, which generally happens when you're outside of China. Outside of China I had a lot of Chinese friends tell me Chinese food is super spicy, and it's not totally untrue since a lot of Chinese food in central/western China is spicy as hell. My Sichuanese friends have told me Hunan food specifically is so spicy so they can forget about how bad it is living in Hunan.

But in China you never hear "Chinese food", it's always Sichuan/Cantonese/Xiang/Shanghain/Northeast/etc... and of course everyone thinks their own food is the best, and only the Sichuanese are actually correct.

The other issue is the word "spicy" in English doesn't work well as a translation for Chinese cooking which actually has like 4+ kinds of spicy and unique words for all of them. Ma (the sichuan peppercorn spicy), Gan (what we in the west normally think of as spicy), Suan (vinegar-heavy spicy for babies in Shanghai and Guangdong), etc... All these words get combined with the word "la" which is generally translated by itself as "spicy".

A Sichuanese person isn't lying when they say Sichuan food is the most spicy if they actually mean "Ma La" cuz that's definitely true as they pile on the peppercorn here, and Hunan food is incredibly spicy in the sense we generally have in English and most Sichuanese people will admit Hunan/Etc is more spicy in that sense.

Korean people are real big on their food being really spicy when it's not at all. Japan was kinda this way too. The cook at a ramen shop tried to dissuade me from the level 10 spicy ramen or whatever and it was like a 4 by China standards. Also all Japanese people I met freaked out when I mentioned I lived in Sichuan cuz apparently ma po tofu is the only Chinese dish they know and is the spiciest thing on Earth (it is not even considered spicy in China).

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 10, 2017

• Locked thread