Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah the key weakness there is "trust sectors." Don't get me wrong, sector AI has improved immensely from the dumpster fire it used to be, but it's still got a long way to go.

To be fair sector AI has been iterated on again for Banks, so it may work fine or it may turn all tiles into farms for your synthetic pops, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Sectors remind me of managing actual people, so while they are annoying they feel realistic enough that I get angry at my stupid middle managers for making stupid decisions and using the colonial fund as their personal slush fund.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Kitchner posted:

To be fair sector AI has been iterated on again for Banks, so it may work fine or it may turn all tiles into farms for your synthetic pops, who knows?
The Cylons were created by man.

They evolved.

They rebelled. :awesomelon:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Admiral Ray posted:

Sectors remind me of managing actual people, so while they are annoying they feel realistic enough that I get angry at my stupid middle managers for making stupid decisions and using the colonial fund as their personal slush fund.

Sector Governor corruption mechanics when

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm doing a bit of modding and I just noticed something odd in the game's localizsation files for ship sections:

code:
 ####################################
 # Colonizer
 COLONIZER_MID_M1S1:1 "Colony Ship"
 COLONIZER_MID_S3:0 "Seed Core"
 COLONIZER_MID_MU1:0 "Gaia Core"

# Constructor
 CONSTRUCTOR_MID_M1S1:1 "Construction Ship"
 CONSTRUCTOR_MID_S3:0 "Developer Core"
 CONSTRUCTOR_MID_MU1:0 "Fuser Core"

# Science
 SCIENCE_MID_M1S1:1 "Science Ship"
 SCIENCE_MID_S3:0 "Trailblazer Core"
 SCIENCE_MID_MU1:0 "Insight Core"
Apparently at some point in development there were plans to have different kinds of (possibly armed) construction, colony, and science vessels. I wonder if the models for these still exist? Also curious what "MU" was supposed to refer to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Minor whinge but I always thought it weird that mind merged creatures referred to themselves in the plural in sci fi.

It would be like me calling myself a plural because I have cells.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

OwlFancier posted:

Minor whinge but I always thought it weird that mind merged creatures referred to themselves in the plural in sci fi.

Maybe it's the royal We.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

OwlFancier posted:

Is this not something people do? It would explain a lot.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
let me repost and repeat that I will pay money for distinct robo-portraits for each species group.

this expansion is going to be the first day of the rest of this game's life. can't wait.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
:siren:

Stellaris on sale for the weekend (I know most people in this thread have it already, but since apparently some people are waiting for sales, here you go)
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-weekend-sale/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ulmont posted:

Stellaris on sale for the weekend (I know most people in this thread have it already, but since apparently some people are waiting for sales, here you go)
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-weekend-sale/

Grabbed it. Though humble store didn't email me the key first time :/

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

OwlFancier posted:

The Aristocrats!

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
With the ability to eat other species will there be new AI personalities to reflect that? Gourmet Seekers? Carnivores / Vegetarians etc. etc.? Perhaps a FE type that will reward you with tech/resources for 'donating' delicacies.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Famished Gluttons that become Devouring Hunters. Fanatical Militarists. :getin:

Sleepy you can donate either your own or other races to feed their hunger, perhaps they shall spare you when they awaken, perhaps they shall share with you the nature of forgotten spices.

Made angry by refusing requests of food, curious races or exterminating entire species in a wasteful display. Wargoal oftens to prevent "wasteful" purging.

Awoken? All shall be food. All shall be food. ALL SHALL BE FOOD. ALL SHALL BE FOOD.

100% chance to awaken if the swarm invades. The greatest kill is the one that comes hunting into your prey grounds, expecting an easy meal.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 10, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

dPB posted:

With the ability to eat other species will there be new AI personalities to reflect that? Gourmet Seekers? Carnivores / Vegetarians etc. etc.? Perhaps a FE type that will reward you with tech/resources for 'donating' delicacies.

I'm sure the guys working on NH are chuffed to bits about being able to flesh out the Hirogen without needing to anything more than configuring what's already there.

I'm really looking forward to using these new systems to punish races who challenge mine. Let's see how your proud xenophobe militarist race looks in slavery or even as cattle, forever. :getin:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=873872037

Can anyone take a look at my modpack and offer some feedback? Assuming you guys play with mods. A lot of people say it's pretty fun/hard right now and it's currently basically bug free but wondering if I should add/take anything out. I designed it for our friday night goon games in BMW but it's one of the number one packs right now so actually taking it seriously.

Seems pretty solid so far - it's great that they're all functioning together absolutely fine.

My first run I pretty much died quickly though - I spawned out on the very edge of the galaxy and my neighbour right next to me were aliens that absolutely hate everyone and want to purge the universe.

Really wish I could outpace the AI in building armies/research. Seems i'm always one step behind.

I'm trying out The Culture run now in another game. I also added Guilli's Planet Modifiers on to your mod list:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865040033&searchtext=more+planet

Seemed like a fun mod to have.

I'll report back further if the game I'm playing now doesn't insta-kill me.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

WMain00 posted:

I also added Guilli's Planet Modifiers on to your mod list:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865040033&searchtext=more+planet

Seemed like a fun mod to have.

Oh, yeah, it owns pretty hard. Check out this awesome Alpha Centauri it generated:

:froggonk:

eta: The other two modifiers indicate that the planet is a living organism (and seems not to like us much) and teems with awful locusts.

No joke though, this mod owns although it seems like it's not quite in a finished state.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh wow that's what I'm talking about.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

GunnerJ posted:

Oh, yeah, it owns pretty hard. Check out this awesome Alpha Centauri it generated:

:froggonk:

eta: The other two modifiers indicate that the planet is a living organism (and seems not to like us much) and teems with awful locusts.

No joke though, this mod owns although it seems like it's not quite in a finished state.

Holy poo poo.

This is exactly the reason the Exterminatus exists.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Wiz, if you see this hear my plea. I really, really need a simple way of filtering this screen by percentage habitability:

I took this from your last stream where the exasperation at trying to find suitable candidates from the mile-long list could be felt through the screen. I feel it every time :(

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Lunethex posted:

Holy poo poo.

This is exactly the reason the Exterminatus exists.

What are you talking about? That seems like a perfect Guardsman training world! Exterminatus is for when said Guardsmen start crying and refuse to go outside.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The thing I wish the mod would do is make the yellow modifiers into mixes of advantages and disadvantages. So, you get to recruit Giant Spider Armies, but it costs more influence to settle there and has much less migrant attraction because jesus loving christ.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Yessss you'd think there would be a migration loss on those planets...for obvious reasons.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It definitely immediately made me sharply aware of the fact that there's no special mechanic in the game for penal colonies.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

GunnerJ posted:

It definitely immediately made me sharply aware of the fact that there's no special mechanic in the game for penal colonies.

One of the discussions before release was when pops ethics get misaligned with yours you could just relocate them to a poo poo planet and let them all starve but that didn't end up being a thing you could do.

Penal colonies would be cool though, especially if there was normal prisoners and political prisoners.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Those spideys do look cool. Also, big shoutout to all the modders showing some serious :roboluv: with those wonderful silicon-based portraits.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Kitchner posted:

One of the discussions before release was when pops ethics get misaligned with yours you could just relocate them to a poo poo planet and let them all starve but that didn't end up being a thing you could do.

Penal colonies would be cool though, especially if there was normal prisoners and political prisoners.

I specifically tried that and starving them just makes them unhappy :( Instead I've started colonizing a poo poo planet and resettling the truly poo poo tier pops to them, then handing it off to someone I plan to invade anyway. Then I just cleanse the planet with war score.

This is usually only something I have to do once or twice before mind control lasers though, gets prohibitively expensive pretty quick.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 10, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Played this for a bit at launch and I've been trying it out again now, it's grabbing me in a way it didn't before, so good job Paradox. Guess lots of little changes add up.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Gort posted:

Played this for a bit at launch and I've been trying it out again now, it's grabbing me in a way it didn't before, so good job Paradox. Guess lots of little changes add up.

And in almost exactly a month's time it'll be even better!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am enjoying that I am literally on the other side of alien conspiracy theories at this point in the game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Quite a drop off in paradox staff comments all over the net, they must be working hard on actually finishing Utopia rather than posting.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Quite a drop off in paradox staff comments all over the net, they must be working hard on actually finishing Utopia rather than posting.

We're in the final stretch, so a combination of being busy and there not being all that much more to reveal.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Why work when you can post?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

We're in the final stretch, so a combination of being busy and there not being all that much more to reveal.

:cracks whip: BACK IN THE PIT!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why not just post the code and someone at the office can simply copy&paste it into the compiler or whatever? :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

How much planning/work have you put into the next DLC? When do you think you guys will announce what it will generally cover? I'm hoping war/diplomacy/ground combat.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

How much planning/work have you put into the next DLC? When do you think you guys will announce what it will generally cover? I'm hoping war/diplomacy/ground combat.

While I can certainly follow the sentiment, does this not seem premature? They finished up the announcements and major feature descriptions for this one, they are in the final push, it's probably going to be after this one releases they start dropping hints about the next expansion.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of life changes in the latest dev update. The war score in particular seemed like it would make warfare less painful without having to wait for the next major DLC after this one. I'm still hoping that there's other tweaks in there to armies or warfare along those lines.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
My biggest hope is that the shortcut key for embarking units from planets made it in :ohdear:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I've been wondering for a while whether they are aware that there is a "missile problem." Or whether missiles work basically as they'd like right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm still hoping for hangar modules to be able to build replacement strike craft in the middle of combat, rather than launching all they have then sitting useless until the battle is over.

• Locked thread