Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah, I was recently reading about the case of a doctor back in 2010 who was permanently vegetablized in a car accident. His family refused the advice of experts in BC and Alberta and insisted on paying for rehabilitation treatment out of pocket even though it was clear he was gone up there. They then sued the medical system for refusing to pay for said rehab treatments.

Watching videos of this guy being dressed up like a doll and run down a ski hill while his family cheered and he's obviously completely unaware of what was going on was fuuuuuuucked up. Reading blog comments by other families pulling the same crap on their own children was horrifying.

Like, I get that it sucks to have your child snatched away by the whims of fate but holy gently caress, the lengths some people will go to are nothing short of perverse and the system needs stronger protections against such insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I watch his interview with Chong. It took place in a loud hallway at some type of event. Chong had to ask who he was with, so it doesn't seem like he had any idea of who Johnson was.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It was a private conversation I had with a defense attorney several years back. She said it's demoralizing to the office when people are having their cases dismissed based on charter violations because while our charter is a very good thing it sucks because for someone to get off on a charter violation it means that someone on the prosecution / law enforcement side of things hosed up and didn't do their job right by following the rules, either due to incompetence or lack of resources. I'm pretty sure she mentioned that it seemed to be happening more often.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 9, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Rime posted:

Yeah, I was recently reading about the case of a doctor back in 2010 who was permanently vegetablized in a car accident. His family refused the advice of experts in BC and Alberta and insisted on paying for rehabilitation treatment out of pocket even though it was clear he was gone up there. They then sued the medical system for refusing to pay for said rehab treatments.

Watching videos of this guy being dressed up like a doll and run down a ski hill while his family cheered and he's obviously completely unaware of what was going on was fuuuuuuucked up. Reading blog comments by other families pulling the same crap on their own children was horrifying.

Like, I get that it sucks to have your child snatched away by the whims of fate but holy gently caress, the lengths some people will go to are nothing short of perverse and the system needs stronger protections against such insanity.

Your poison belief system is making the slopes way too loving crowded.

It's maladaptive as gently caress and you can't blame anyone at the centre of the problem for being too invested to see just how messed up what they're doing is, but it's good (?) that the health care system generally (??) refused to enable it any further than necessary.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Maybe we need some sort of Death Panels or something and counselling for those who are confronted with sudden loss.

The only person who even tried to talk to us about the loss of a loved one was from Organ Donation which actually had a backlash as my Mom was not ready and she was a bit pushy on finally letting go. In the end she decided against donation and thus not only was someone spared from receiving at least a good heart but my Mom still has trouble with the loss. I keep trying to push her into talking to someone but really there should be someone provided to talk.

Also the Doctor was kinda a dick even though he was technically right.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Hahahaha so literally weekend at Bernies

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cerepol posted:

Maybe we need some sort of Death Panels or something and counselling for those who are confronted with sudden loss.

If the recent spate of faith-based parental manslaughter and the uptick in third-world medical conditions spreading across countries that offer first-world medical care is any indication, it would seem that there's just no talking sense to some people. Faint hope, things medicine can't explain that happens, "cure invented tomorrow", some god stuff, any soure of hope no matter how bizarre and irrational will always be more convincing than those nice people from the department of thanatology with their charts and graphs and long Greek words.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cerepol posted:

The only person who even tried to talk to us about the loss of a loved one was from Organ Donation which actually had a backlash as my Mom was not ready and she was a bit pushy on finally letting go. In the end she decided against donation and thus not only was someone spared from receiving at least a good heart but my Mom still has trouble with the loss. I keep trying to push her into talking to someone but really there should be someone provided to talk.

Also the Doctor was kinda a dick even though he was technically right.

This is where faith should come into play. Our faith institutions should push to accept death as we do life (most do), and to give the gift of life as a celebration of one's loved ones.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Stop being a [faith]ophobic, that stuff is off limits. I've also requested to be kept alive as long as possible especially as a vegetable, I'll get back every tax dollar I've sunk into the worthless system. As if my final act would be an act of financial charity to the ontario health system.

I'm Catholic, sorry for pragmatism

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

namaste faggots posted:

Hahahaha so literally weekend at Bernies

They could have rented him out as a crash test dummy to pay for the rehab.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

They could have rented him out as a crash test dummy to pay for the rehab.

You mean again?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

You mean again?

:vince:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

This is a bit misleading because of this part:

I'm not going to give this guy the page views to go see his videos but I'm guessing these leadership candidates were asked a few questions after events, answered them, and left without having any idea who this guy was. His claims to importance and notoriety in the article are way overblown. "Everybody knows who I am because I have 4,000 Youtube subscribers" is a pretty big leap to make. Really the only candidate who should be in more poo poo based on the Star's reporting is Bernier because he's the only one who actually gave more than a couple minutes of his time and had the opportunity to do due diligence before talking to this guy.

Couterpoint: Plausable deniablilty is a necessary condition for racist dogwhistling.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

This is where faith should come into play. Our faith institutions should push to accept death as we do life (most do), and to give the gift of life as a celebration of one's loved ones.

You'd think so, but guess what?

quote:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawas-biggest-palliative-care-hospital-says-it-wont-offer-assisted-dying

Bruyère Continuing Care, Ottawa’s biggest palliative care hospital, says it will not offer doctor-assisted death to eligible patients, limiting options in the city as the practice becomes legal across Canada.

Because the Catholic hospital is effectively the city’s centre of excellence in palliative care, Bruyère is likely to become a local pressure point for the way doctor assisted death translates from law to practice in Canada. The federal government is expected to have a law in place by early June.

The religious health authority says doctor-assisted death is incompatible with its values. The organization says provincial law allows its organizations to refuse doctor assisted death. But Dying With Dignity Canada, which has fought for physician assisted dying, says it is not acceptable for entire organizations to conscientiously object to it.

Bruyère Continuing Care is not only Ottawa’s largest palliative care hospital, but it has the only hospital-based palliative care ward in the city and the most specialized expertise.

Other Ottawa hospitals do not have beds dedicated to palliative care, as Bruyère does, although they have staff who provide the service to patients.

In a statement, the Catholic Health Sponsors of Ontario said physician-assisted death will not be offered in its institutions “nor will we directly or explicitly refer a patient to receive this same medical procedure.” Instead, the organization says, health providers in its institutions will “assist (patients) to question their request for assisted death and to explore other alternative forms of medical care.”

Amy Porteous, vice-president of public affairs and planning at Bruyère, confirmed the hospital will not offer doctor assisted death, but said the hospital is “waiting for clarification” on what that means in terms of patient referral.

“We need to monitor and conform to regulatory demands as they take shape.”

Bruyere are far and away the largest palliative hospital in Ottawa and region (and things only get churchier the farther out into the sticks you go), so unless you can afford to put your moribund family member into a pricey private facility or you can score a few grains of carfentanil, their last act will be suffering for someone else's faith. My dad died there, the staff were great and all but there was fuckall "dignified" about it and it would've been far better for everyone if they'd just gassed the poor guy a month before they wheeled him out.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

There's going to be an announcement regarding the E&N rail corridor in Victoria this morning. Possible conversion to a BRT line? Maybe just a train or two at rush hour?

Knowing the BCLP and the CRD it will be an announcement to start consultation in 2020 contingent on the libs winning the election with possible construction starting 2030. But I've got my fingers crossed!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Rime posted:

Who was the doctor?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

OSI bean dip posted:

Who was the doctor?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/brain-injured-doctor-denied-rehab-in-b-c-1.966825

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Noted weedlord and moron Marc Emery got arrested again, this time at Pearson.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/emerys-arrested-airport-1.4017105

Is there any way we can legalize weed for everyone except this rear end in a top hat and his supporters?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

He is now correctly answering questions and responding to commands non-verbally. He has also started to move his limbs.

I don't know where you guys are buying your vegetables but I've never seen mine do this.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 9, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

Noted weedlord and moron Marc Emery got arrested again, this time at Pearson.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/emerys-arrested-airport-1.4017105

Is there any way we can legalize weed for everyone except this rear end in a top hat and his supporters?

quote:

Police across Canada are raiding marijuana dispensaries belonging to the so-called Prince of Pot, Marc Emery, after he and his wife were arrested at Pearson International Airport Wednesday night on their way to a pot festival in Europe.

Emery and his wife, Jodie, were set to appear in court Thursday morning. Their B.C.-based lawyer, Kirk Tousaw, said Toronto police have told him his clients have been charged with trafficking cannabis. The Emerys are being represented in court Thursday by Jack Lloyd.

Both were held overnight at Toronto police's 51 Division following their arrests.

Nope no idea why my clients are being arrested, no clue at all

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
She was never a crown herself. She said it was demoralizing to the crowns office not because they thought the charter was bad, but because when the crown loses a case due to a charter violation it often means that the case was lost because either they or the police hosed something up or the system was so backlogged that they had no way to ensure the case came to trial in a reasonable amount of time and it was a bummer for them to lose a case because of circumstances like this.

As for the Crowns role being seeking truth and not just convictions, I may be biased because of my own experiences and the experiences of people close to me but I'm calling bullshit. They don't give a gently caress about truth as long as they can stay within the rules of the system and get the accused person either convicted or to sign a plea.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 9, 2022

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Also lmao:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/09/26-year-old-teacher-stuns-liberals-to-win-nomination-to-replace-stphane-dion.html

The Liberals rejected a popular local politician who wanted to run for Dion's old seat in favour of parachuting in a former QLP cabinet minister, only for them to come in last place and get beat for the nomination by a 26-year-old teacher.

Parachuting is the dumbest poo poo and any leadership that goes for that cronyist bullshit deserves to get smacked the gently caress down in every election.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

We're marginally better than the USA, and that's our entire national identity these days.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 9, 2022

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

CLAM DOWN posted:

We're marginally better than the USA, and that's our entire national identity these days.

Deserved or not

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 9, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

im the 25 year old goon who wrote a living will

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
To my dearest friend, I bequeath my kickin rad Steam library

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

quote:

Mike Smyth: Liberals set their Uber trap, NDP stumbles right in

By promising to finally let Uber operate in British Columbia, Christy Clark’s governing Liberals have laid a devious election trap for the rival NDP.

To the Liberals’ great delight, the New Democrats are walking right into it.

The Clark government this week said Uber and other ride-sharing companies will be allowed to operate by Christmas.

Metro Vancouver taxi companies are naturally furious. They are the last surviving taxi monopoly in any major North American city and they don’t want their dynasty to end.

But the Liberals know there are more voters out there who want Uber compared to those who want the taxi monopoly to remain in power.

That’s why the Liberals are thrilled to see the NDP come out against the government’s move and rush to the defence of the taxi industry.

“I believe you start from a point of fairness,” said NDP leader John Horgan, adding many taxi drivers have invested huge sums of money in their licences.

Horgan said he would kill the Liberal plan and launch deeper consultations with the taxi industry. He didn’t say whether the NDP will take a clear position for or against Uber before the May 9 election.

NDP MLA Harry Bains told me Wednesday the NDP may not have enough time to properly consult everyone impacted by the issue.

“You can’t rush through this,” Bains said. “We just want to make sure everyone is listened to and treated fairly.”

So does that mean an NDP government would allow Uber or not?

“We’re not saying No to any option,” Bains said.

But they’re not saying “Yes” either, meaning the official NDP line could be something like this: “Maybe we will allow Uber. Maybe we won’t. We will tell you after the election, when we have time to talk to the taxi industry.”

If the New Democrats are crazy enough to go into an election with a position like that, the Liberals will eat their lunch.

Yes, the taxi lobby is a strong one and drivers have legitimate concerns. The Indo-Canadian community could be especially upset at the government.

But the Liberals have surely calculated a larger number of people finally want to install the Uber app on their smartphones like residents of every other major city on the continent.

When pollster Angus Reid asked Canadians last month whether Uber should be allowed to operate, only 17 per cent said “definitely not.”

Christy Clark left little doubt Wednesday that the Liberals have crunched the numbers.

“We know ride sharing is coming and we know that people want it,” Clark said.

“There’s always critics, but I think the citizens of the province — the vast, vast majority of people who want it — I think they’re on the right side of this one.”

The Liberals think they’re on the right side, too. Horgan and the NDP may be forced to take a pro-Uber position, but the Liberals hope he stays right where he is: on the mushy middle of the fence, defending the taxi industry.

Ugh this is like watching an NHL player running sick dangles around a wobbly 6 year old. Over and over again.

I can't stand the BC Liberals but I do have to give them credit for having their political game on lock. Always multiple steps ahead of the BCNDP.

Not gonna cry any tears for taxi drivers though. Rude rear end, dangerous driving motherfuckers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why wouldn't you handle your will, power of attorney, etc. early in life? I got them done before I was 25, and I already made some changes on one occasion. You never know when you might have an accident that leaves you a vegetable or kills you, and it's good to make sure that your wishes are followed explicitly in either event.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

My will will just be a bunch of credit card and student loan statements with a picture of me shrugging

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

Why wouldn't you handle your will, power of attorney, etc. early in life? I got them done before I was 25, and I already made some changes on one occasion. You never know when you might have an accident that leaves you a vegetable or kills you, and it's good to make sure that your wishes are followed explicitly in either event.

With how easy wills are and how annoying probate can be, there's no reason to die intestate.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

flakeloaf posted:

With how easy wills are and how annoying probate can be, there's no reason to die intestate.

Yeah 100% get a loving will goons. Dying intestate is a pretty good way to have your closest loved ones remember you as a complete pain in the rear end.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The Butcher posted:

Ugh this is like watching an NHL player running sick dangles around a wobbly 6 year old. Over and over again.

I can't stand the BC Liberals but I do have to give them credit for having their political game on lock. Always multiple steps ahead of the BCNDP.

Not gonna cry any tears for taxi drivers though. Rude rear end, dangerous driving motherfuckers.

I wouldn't give the BC Libs too much credit for implementing a popular policy in advance of an election but I agree that it's remarkable how inept the BC NDP manages to be. Picking either side of the issue would probably be a safer bet than waffling like that.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

I wouldn't give the BC Libs too much credit for implementing a popular policy in advance of an election...

True, true. It's probably just the contrast to the NDPs :effort: that makes them look like political wizards in comparison.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

A safe bet would be to change the subject to something the libs are complete garbage on that actually loving matters like, say, anything else

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

The Butcher posted:

This is every Michael Smyth election column ever. Christy did something. If the NDP takes a stand, they fell into her clever trap. If they're cautious, they fell into her devious trap. Do not consider at any point whether what Christy did or said was good or useful in any way; secret BC Liberal sources, who are definitely not Rich Coleman, assure Michael that this was all according to plan and therefore Christy is a brilliant puppet master and the NDP are foolish saps.

Then in a couple years, when things go south and there's not an election imminent, Smyth and Vaughn Palmer can write righteous stories about the liberals' incompetence. It's not like they approved of those things, they were just talking about her political acumen. They could just write that Christy's full of poo poo and cozying up to a terrible, company about to collapse under the weight of its own malevolence towards its customers and employees, but I guess Postmedia isn't interested in that story for some reason.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

He didn’t say whether the NDP will take a clear position for or against growing a spine before the May 9 election.

NDP MLA Harry Bains told me Wednesday the NDP may not have enough time to properly consult everyone impacted by the issue.

“You can’t rush through this,” Bains said. “We just want to make sure everyone is listened to and treated fairly.”

So does that mean an NDP government would grow a spine or not?

“We’re not saying No to any option,” Bains said.

But they’re not saying “Yes” either, meaning the official NDP line could be something like this: “Maybe we will grow a spine. Maybe we won’t. We will tell you after the election, when we have time to talk to the people who tell us what to do.”

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

THC posted:

im the 25 year old goon who wrote a living will

I am employed in a ridiculously hazardous occupation and I want to make sure my mother and brother are taken care of should anything go wrong.

Turns out there are worse hazards in life than people being miserable cunts on the internet, who knew? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

The Butcher posted:

I also can't stand the BC Liberals but I think I actually hate metro vancouver's taxi companies more. What am I supposed to do now :shepface: