Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
So, I've put thought into this. Uranium seems to lack restraint. It didn't have the restraint not to make new mons and then it didn't have restraint not to include old mons with new. It didn't have the restraint not to shove in an obvious edgy story at the start. It didn't have the restraint to ensure the starters are balanced. I could go on here. So far I feel the fandom and the love of the series from it. It's obviously a work of love. I'm trying to find the good parts and smile at them. It's hard though. It really did need to look in the mirror and take one thing off before it left the house.

Speaking of things it should have removed, I am a big enough fan to know of Uranium. I am not a big enough fan to know of Nuzlocke. Is there anything at all that would tell me what the hell a Nuzlocke Mode is in the game itself? One of my pet peeves are challenge modes that completely change the base gameplay without telling you "Hey, this mode does this!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The problem with Uranium, and this is a pervasive problem, and perhaps the biggest problem with the whole thing, is that it's designed for the people who are super into poo poo like Nuzlocke runs and the comp scene and it suffers for it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Waffleman_ posted:

The problem with Uranium, and this is a pervasive problem, and perhaps the biggest problem with the whole thing, is that it's designed for the people who are super into poo poo like Nuzlocke runs and the comp scene and it suffers for it.

and the worst thing is that this won't even be super obvious until the game is a bit further in, because good lord some of the encounters are MEAN

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Strange Matter posted:

They should go real deep and make it the old Guiness Toucan.

Dark/Flying.

Toucannon regional variant?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pokemon based on robin hood and the merry men.

Also a line that goes chip butty > fish n chips or kebab

And a Merlin based on both bird and falcon.
Arthurian myth in general. Writes itself really
Arfur > Excalifur
Lancelotter
Badgawain
Perserval
Gaurahad

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 9, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vexrm posted:

So, I've put thought into this. Uranium seems to lack restraint. It didn't have the restraint not to make new mons and then it didn't have restraint not to include old mons with new. It didn't have the restraint not to shove in an obvious edgy story at the start. It didn't have the restraint to ensure the starters are balanced. I could go on here. So far I feel the fandom and the love of the series from it. It's obviously a work of love. I'm trying to find the good parts and smile at them. It's hard though. It really did need to look in the mirror and take one thing off before it left the house.

Speaking of things it should have removed, I am a big enough fan to know of Uranium. I am not a big enough fan to know of Nuzlocke. Is there anything at all that would tell me what the hell a Nuzlocke Mode is in the game itself? One of my pet peeves are challenge modes that completely change the base gameplay without telling you "Hey, this mode does this!"

Nuzlocke is the most prevalent type of challenge run for Pokemon games. Basic rules are permadeath (any Pokemon that falls in battle is considered dead and must be released), that only the first wild Pokemon encountered in a given area can be caught, and every Pokemon must be nick-named. There's a whole laundry list of additional restrictions people like to apply as well, like limiting item usage in battles.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

Nuzlocke is the most prevalent type of challenge run for Pokemon games. Basic rules are permadeath (any Pokemon that falls in battle is considered dead and must be released), that only the first wild Pokemon encountered in a given area can be caught, and every Pokemon must be nick-named. There's a whole laundry list of additional restrictions people like to apply as well, like limiting item usage in battles.

Just because it's the most prevalent doesn't mean that the people who will find out about your game know what it is. That's the argument that Vexrm was making. The game makes no attempt to explain what Nuzlocke mode is, despite prominently presenting it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The (Original) appeal behind Nuzlocke runs was that they're a way of forcing you to use Pokemon you wouldn't ordinarily use, and it adds a bit of challenge to a system that's fairly easy to exploit for veteran players. On the whole, it's a fun way to blaze through the game if you don't mind grinding a bit more and don't take it too seriously.

Unfortunately, the internet is full of people who take things too seriously, which is why Uranium exists.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just because it's the most prevalent doesn't mean that the people who will find out about your game know what it is. That's the argument that Vexrm was making. The game makes no attempt to explain what Nuzlocke mode is, despite prominently presenting it.

I only half-read their post and thought they were just asking what a Nuzlocke run is.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I would play Poke-Britain and I hope there is something about the Isle of Mann

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Herr Tog posted:

I would play Poke-Britain and I hope there is something about the Isle of Mann

The Isle of Monn, surely.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
poke-Britain, doubling down on Arthurian type legends, except also with Pokemon, would be insanely cool. It wouldn't have worked coming right after Kalos, but it would make sense after Alola. gotta have some variety, mix it up a bit.

in general, I don't get why a fan-game wouldn't just wholesale steal its game region's geography and mythology from real-world stuff. It saves so much time and energy! Britain, Spain, Italy, Australia, India, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Greece, South Africa, New Zealand, Thailand, Texas, the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, and California all seem like solid bases for a region design.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spatula City posted:

poke-Britain, doubling down on Arthurian type legends, except also with Pokemon, would be insanely cool. It wouldn't have worked coming right after Kalos, but it would make sense after Alola. gotta have some variety, mix it up a bit.

in general, I don't get why a fan-game wouldn't just wholesale steal its game region's geography and mythology from real-world stuff. It saves so much time and energy! Britain, Spain, Italy, Australia, India, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Greece, South Africa, New Zealand, Thailand, Texas, the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, and California all seem like solid bases for a region design.

Bah, who needs inspiration when you have the raw creative genius to make...

...this...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

but it's not designed for them at all, the nuzlocke run ending on the first battle clearly shows they didn't actually think through any kind of actual design towards nuzlocke runners

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Spatula City posted:

I think the plan with Sage is to do South America as a whole.

Australia would be my favourite pick for new a region (if they could fit New Zealand in as well, that'd be neat. Yes, it's two thousand miles from Australia to New Zealand, but it's two thousand miles from Sydney to Perth...). Silly fakemon ideas I've had for it include:

- a Eucalyptus mon that's Grass/Fire and has some ability relating to Explosion and Self Destruct.
- a Spinifex mon that's Grass/Rock and has an ability that doubles the power of Spikes and Toxic Spikes (so it's like it only has to apply them once to get the effect of applying them twice).
- humanoid mons based off a cricket batsman and bowler (I've been thinking of calling the batsman Bradmon or Donbradmon because in for a penny, in for a pound :v: ).
- (with New Zealand) something based off our friend, the kakapo :parrot:. Although Rowlet's line already sort of charts the evolutionary path of flightless birds.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mandatory lesbian posted:

but it's not designed for them at all, the nuzlocke run ending on the first battle clearly shows they didn't actually think through any kind of actual design towards nuzlocke runners

i think their official response to this would be to 'play better', probably

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i would like them to do somewhere that sees almost no representation, like any region of africa, above any place in europe

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Johnny Joestar posted:

and the worst thing is that this won't even be super obvious until the game is a bit further in, because good lord some of the encounters are MEAN

Honestly, a mainstream pokemon game with much more tightly designed and difficult battles, but much more flexible levelling and progression, could be pretty cool. I always liked that in the show Ash had to come up with clever strategies for beating gym leaders, but you never really have to do that in the games.

From the sounds of it Uranium tries to do this, but forgets to make switching tactics up a viable option.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I do not trust a Japanese-made game set in subsaharan Africa to not be incredibly racist

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

loquacius posted:

I do not trust a Japanese-made game set in subsaharan Africa to not be incredibly racist

i'd rather they try and fail then not try at all, tbh

also pokemon seems to be pretty good nowadays about not being offensive, like the hawaii region wasn't tremendously racist as far as i know

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

turn off the TV posted:

From the sounds of it Uranium tries to do this, but forgets to make switching tactics up a viable option.

i would say that implying they tried to make anything balanaced would be stretching it just a tad

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Babbaron > Viscaque > Gorillearl
Problem is a lot of the more famous animals of Africa are already taken.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

i'd rather they try and fail then not try at all, tbh

also pokemon seems to be pretty good nowadays about not being offensive, like the hawaii region wasn't tremendously racist as far as i know

I mean, I felt really guilty as a foreigner who literally just moved there beating out the son of a local chieftain in the islands' ancient coming-of-age tradition and becoming their first regional Champion, then basically hunting their gods for sport

I didn't even want to use the Tapu, I just wanted to display them in my PC like a big-game hunter hanging their heads on my wall

But no, the game itself didn't really have any tremendously racist stuff in it, just some stuff that feels kind of gross if you think about it too hard

e: Hawaii has a local cuisine that is literally called poke and I'm kind of disappointed they didn't do anything with that

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Seyser Koze posted:

I only played the original Red/Blue (and didn't have the patience to get past my first Zubat in either of those), but didn't the starters in those only have their basic tackle/scratch moves at the beginning as well?
As other people have said, it's more the fact that two of the starters got a STAB move and one only got a Normal-type attack that's the problem. I don't think anyone would be complaining nearly as hard if they hadn't seemingly deliberately neutered one of the starters.

loquacius posted:

Which non-remake Pokemon was the last one actually set in Poke-Japan, anyway?
I believe Gen 4. IIRC, Sinnoh was based upon northern Japan. Then came NYC/New Jersey in Gen 5, France in Gen 6, and Hawaii in Gen 7.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I could only accept PokeBritannia if Champion Arthur has a Swellow on her team.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Game Freak has been careful not to step on anyone's toes since stuff like the Game Corner became illegal in Europe. It's also a gigantic brand name so they would have to be very careful not to tarnish it with stuff like racism. (If there was stuff like that, I would imagine the localizers would catch that at the very least.)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

Honestly, a mainstream pokemon game with much more tightly designed and difficult battles, but much more flexible levelling and progression, could be pretty cool. I always liked that in the show Ash had to come up with clever strategies for beating gym leaders, but you never really have to do that in the games.

I would argue that SuMo accomplishes the first part of that. It's linear as gently caress but there are some pretty nastily-designed fights during the trials (loving Lurantis).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Commander Keene posted:

As other people have said, it's more the fact that two of the starters got a STAB move and one only got a Normal-type attack that's the problem. I don't think anyone would be complaining nearly as hard if they hadn't seemingly deliberately neutered one of the starters.

I believe Gen 4. IIRC, Sinnoh was based upon northern Japan. Then came NYC/New Jersey in Gen 5, France in Gen 6, and Hawaii in Gen 7.

Yeah. Kanto/Johto were the Tokyo environs (more or less), Hoenn was the southern islands, and Sinnoh was Hokkaido.

For spinoff games, Orre is supposed to be Arizona/Nevada, somewhere in the Death Valley area at least, Almia (the region from the Ranger game where Uranium's Moody Dad comes from) is the southern tip of SinnohHokkaido, the other two Ranger regions are just Generic JRPG Land.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Game Freak has been careful not to step on anyone's toes since stuff like the Game Corner became illegal in Europe. It's also a gigantic brand name so they would have to be very careful not to tarnish it with stuff like racism. (If there was stuff like that, I would imagine the localizers would catch that at the very least.)

Jynx went from blackface to "purpleface", so there's still some :raise: to be ironed out.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 9, 2017

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah. Kanto/Johto were the Tokyo environs (more or less), Hoenn was the southern islands, and Sinnoh was Hokkaido.

For spinoff games, Orre is supposed to be Arizona/Nevada, somewhere in the Death Valley area at least, Almia (the region from the Ranger game where Uranium's Moody Dad comes from) is the southern tip of SinnohHokkaido, the other two Ranger regions are just Generic JRPG Land.

Jynx went from blackface to "purpleface", so there's still some :raise: to be ironed out.

Well, frostbiteface, since she's a Yuki-Onna who have black faces because that's what happens to you when you die of extreme cold, but they've learned to double check if their designs could come off as offensive in the aftermath.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

they changed that in gen 2!!! how is 20 years not enough time to be considered ironed out!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
In the case of the anime, they actually were too careful about upsetting people. The Orange Islands season had Brock leave and be replaced by Tracey because there was concern that to the American audience Brock might be interpreted as a racial stereotype due to his eyes (no one had complained yet though), so they had a "tall, white, Anglo-looking character to replace him, just to be on the safe side." Brock came back later once they realized nobody cared about Brock's appearance and they were in the clear.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

they changed that in gen 2!!! how is 20 years not enough time to be considered ironed out!
I think Katarani is saying something like "purpleface is just 'trying not to be blackface'" and that the problem still needs to be actually fixed and not just Band-Aided.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Blue Mr. Popo isn't fooling anybody.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like beyond any racial implications or no, jynx is just really kind of a crap design

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like beyond any racial implications or no, jynx is just really kind of a crap design

It's like with Monster Rancher where you have all these neat/cute/oddball monsters and then you just have catgirls/Succubi pop up in a tournament.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I think Katarani is saying something like "purpleface is just 'trying not to be blackface'" and that the problem still needs to be actually fixed and not just Band-Aided.

idk the long blonde hair goes a long way to make it not look so racist to me, but i defer that i can't really comment on it

Johnny Joestar posted:

also tbh this is true

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Babbaron > Viscaque > Gorillearl
Problem is a lot of the more famous animals of Africa are already taken.

Eh, just because there's one of something doesn't mean they can never do another. I don't think Girafarig has completely plumbed the depths of the design space for cool pokemon giraffes, etc.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

See also: Unova's bat 'mon vs Zubat.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

thats like half of gen 1 heck even half of pokemon in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

flerp posted:

thats like half of gen 1 heck even half of pokemon in general

People love to talk up Gen 1 pokemon as being the best but yeah most of them were lazy.

I mean, one design was literally just a DUCK with a LEEK.

• Locked thread