Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

good news everyone I visited rome a few years ago and it was still there

Have they solved the crime problem yet? Caesar said he'd solve the crime problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

good news everyone I visited rome a few years ago and it was still there

If you trust the liberal Italian media.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That wasn't Rome, it was just a bunch of Ostrogoths squatting in the rubble of a once proud city.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rome ended before it started because time is a circle.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine four aeolipiles on the edge of a cliff.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The second Augustus pushes the first Augustus off a cliff. The second Augustus becomes the first Augustus, the first Caesar becomes the second Augustus, the second Caesar becomes the first Caesar, and a cabbage becomes the second Caesar.

Rome works the same way.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

The second Augustus pushes the first Augustus off a cliff. The second Augustus becomes the first Augustus, the first Caesar becomes the second Augustus, the second Caesar becomes the first Caesar, and a cabbage becomes the second Caesar.

Rome works the same way.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You gotta admire how Diocletian, in an attempt to end civil war forever, constructed a system literally guaranteed to cause civil war

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

cheetah7071 posted:

You gotta admire how Diocletian, in an attempt to end civil war forever, constructed a system literally guaranteed to cause civil war

If we just destroy the civitas, there won't be anything to have a civil war about!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

Rome works the same way.

I stand humbled.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Rome works the same way.

Except that sometimes someone in need of a male heir adopts, so a Caesar becomes a Aemelius or whatever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well I don't see a lex in the book saying a man can't adopt a cabbage...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ivaylo "the Cabbage" Cæsar of Bulgaria is my favorite Roman emperor.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ivaylo "the Cabbage" Cæsar of Bulgaria is my favorite Roman emperor.

So you support domestic violence?

cheetah7071 posted:

Diocleitian sounds like if he was alive today he would be an economics professor who is baffles his models using perfectly rational actors arent accurate to reality.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

Diocleitian sounds like if he was alive today he would be an economics professor who is baffles his models using perfectly rational actors arent accurate to reality.

Diocletian, study economics?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

skasion posted:

Diocletian, study economics?

Diocletian would be a philosophy professor.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jack2142 posted:

I just like the idea of a monarch called "The Cabbage" to balance out all the "The Great"'s and the "The Holy"'s and what not and also know that the One True Rome was the mighty empire of Bulgaria.

Had no idea the guy was a wife beater.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FreudianSlippers posted:

I just like the idea of a monarch called "The Cabbage" to balance out all the "The Great"'s and the "The Holy"'s and what not and also know that the One True Rome was the mighty empire of Bulgaria.

Lil' Boot

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FreudianSlippers posted:

Brassica Prime is indeed the best god.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Brassica Invictus

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

cheetah7071 posted:

Let's start the calendar in 3200 BC with the first person whose name we know, Kushim the barley seller. We live in 5217 AK, after Kushim

I heard he was a bit of an rear end in a top hat though, like he'd use wet ladles to meter out the barley, and inbetween customers scraping off the barley that stuck so by the end of the day he had an extra measure or two to sell.
A small thing but still.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There's something very poetic about the fact that the oldest regular guy known to modern history was a petty rear end in a top hat

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

skasion posted:

There's something very poetic about the fact that the oldest regular guy known to modern history was a petty rear end in a top hat

Humans. Humans never change.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
And the way he'd do you an unasked for favor, only to ask for you to do something in return, like you owed him?

Hey Berkher, just the man I'm looking for! I'm in a bit of a pickle here, I'm expecting a shipment but I just got word from my partner the ox just up and died, so I need for someone to bring him the other ox. I thought I'll ask you, I'm sure you'd be happy to help after that time I got you a new door instead of that ratty old one you had. Besides it's your day off, right? It's a blessing of the gods!
Market's tomorrow morning so I'd get moving if I were you, old pal..

There was nothing wrong with the old door.
loving Kushim.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

VanSandman posted:

I was just reading about a book where the author compares him to Varoufakis.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr Havafap posted:

I heard he was a bit of an rear end in a top hat though, like he'd use wet ladles to meter out the barley, and inbetween customers scraping off the barley that stuck so by the end of the day he had an extra measure or two to sell.
A small thing but still.

I read this as "wet ladies" and wondered what the hell.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Doctor Malaver posted:

I was just reading about a book where the author compares him to Varoufakis.

I am in no way surprised by you reading books that compare Diocletian to Varoufakis.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Maybe he would just be a cabbage farmer.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I was at a bar that was playing a terrible 60s spy movie, Fathom, and at one point a character opens a mysterious briefcase with... cabbage.

I made a Cato joke and nobody laughed :(

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Commedia non olet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I read this as "wet ladies" and wondered what the hell.

Kushim was also the first marketing mogul.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Neat video detailing the composition of a Roman army.. Before I share it with my friends, can someone more knowledgeable and spergy please watch it and make sure that its accurate?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Pontius Pilate posted:

I was at a bar that was playing a terrible 60s spy movie, Fathom, and at one point a character opens a mysterious briefcase with... cabbage.

I made a Cato joke and nobody laughed :(

That's why you shouldn't hang out with plebs, in spite of their delightful names.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Colossal 3,000-year-old statue unearthed from Cairo pit

Neat!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Look on my works, etc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Animal posted:

Neat video detailing the composition of a Roman army.. Before I share it with my friends, can someone more knowledgeable and spergy please watch it and make sure that its accurate?

It's reasonably correct for the period it's trying to depict (the Principate). Some stuff:
  • The Roman state existed for more than 2000 years. The army evolved a lot over that period. It looks very different prior to the Marian reforms some two centuries before, and looked quite different still by the Dominate, some 200 years later.
  • The video states that legionaries provided their own equipment, which is not correct for the period. One of the Marian Reforms was that equipment would be provided by the state.
  • Each contubernium also included 2 non-combatants which I didn't hear mentioned, which makes up a lot of dudes by the time you get up to Legion level.
  • It's stated that veterans would be settled on land provided by the state. This was certainly the goal, and usually took place, but this very often became a hot political topic, as more often than not that land has to be taken from someone.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

my dad posted:

I am in no way surprised by you reading books that compare Diocletian to Varoufakis.

I wasn't reading the book, I was reading about it. The author is not a historian but a theatre writer so I don't know what is his authority based on. He makes the following claims.

- We know very little about Diocletian. Our main source is Lactantius and he's biased.
- Diocletian was purging Christians because they wouldn't recognize him as God/Emperor. This was a political problem, not religious, and he first tried to resolve it peacefully.
- They prevailed and did they best to destroy records of his life and portray him as a bloodthirsty tyrant which is an exaggeration.
- One of the reasons for that was that they destroyed his sarcophagus and replaced it with Saint Domnius' bones so they needed an excuse for that.
- Saint Domnius who was legend has it martyred under Diocletian might not have even existed.
- There are no statues for which we are 100% sure that they represent of Diocletian. We can only be certain that coins represent him.

Does this make sense? I'd like to read something good about Diocletian.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

• Each contubernium also included 2 non-combatants which I didn't hear mentioned, which makes up a lot of dudes by the time you get up to Legion level.

Wait, so does this mean there technically are 100 men in each century?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Koramei posted:

Wait, so does this mean there technically are 100 men in each century?

The century fluctuated between 80 and 120 men, differing over time and by troop type, iirc