Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Any women characters who appreciate kicking back with a cold one? Captain Marvel maybe, or She-Hulk?

Uh.... does someone wanna tell him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gaz-L posted:

Carol has kicked back many a cold one in her day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Choco1980 posted:

I kinda want a Galactus tumbler now

Just ask any elderly waitress. I'm sure all silver servers have one! :newlol:

Gaz-L posted:

Haha, you're right. I forgot! It came up a little bit in that one DeConnick series I read.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Lobok posted:

Any women characters who appreciate kicking back with a cold one? Captain Marvel maybe, or She-Hulk?

Jessica Jones might be a legit contender for the lower brackets judging by the show, but I'm not sure how true that is in the comic universe these days.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

According to Norse mythology, Thor (a) could not tell the difference between beer and ocean water, and (b) could still drink enough ocean water to change sea levels noticeably.

In Gaiman's book, he says it's mead (I'm sure it depends on translation), and notes that Thor thought it was salty. He is later given some wine which wasn't as salty.

I don't think I want to drink in Jotunheim.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I thought that Ben Grimms deal was he had an outer rocky body but human like organs. Wouldn't super booze wreck him up like it would a normal guy.

Or does he have a liver made out limestone?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Lobok posted:

Just ask any elderly waitress. I'm sure all silver servers have one! :newlol:

. . .

. . .

. . .

GodDAMNIT you bastard

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
On the topic of booze and heroes, here are some sweet 80s Marvel alcoholism PSAs.

I love how happy Cap looks to be talking about alcoholism.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Endless Mike posted:

In Gaiman's book, he says it's mead (I'm sure it depends on translation), and notes that Thor thought it was salty. He is later given some wine which wasn't as salty.

I don't think I want to drink in Jotunheim.
The standard translation doesn't specify at all what he's drinking and he doesn't comment on its taste, being more concerned with being emasculated by not being able to drink it in one.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lobok posted:

I like that it's Hulking whispering into Wiccan's ear.

An event that features Earth's Mightiest Drinkers as the main heroes would be a pretty good intersection of various teams. You've got an X-Man (Wolverine), a Fantastic Four member (Thing), an Asgardian (do I have to say?), an Olympian (ditto), and... anyone else? Any beer aficionados from the Inhumans, or cosmic crowd, or magic clique? Any women characters who appreciate kicking back with a cold one? Captain Marvel maybe, or She-Hulk?

Carol is a recovering alcoholic, you monster.

Edit: Ah, I see we covered that already.

Seriously, though, you have to figure Valkyrie and Sif can pound 'em back just as well as any random male Asgardian who's not Volstagg.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Sure, Beer Itself could be all fun and games and be just a big drinking comeption between marvel characters.

Or, it could get dark and brooding and be about Tony and Carol both falling off the wagon and spiraling out of control and dragging other people down with them in some kind of Tipsy War

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would've gone with Tipple War.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, that's IvX, folks. Say goodbye to Emma Frost and hello to Cyke Hood!

Emma Frost has a hilariously terrible costume change in IVX #6.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm just glad the Penance costume didn't go to waste.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Chinston Wurchill posted:

On the topic of booze and heroes, here are some sweet 80s Marvel alcoholism PSAs.

I love how happy Cap looks to be talking about alcoholism.

I feel bad for laughing at this but I can't stop myself from laughing at the Storm one because I can't help but imagine Storm talking like the 90s cartoon version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rj1B3l9gE

And delivering a PSA.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Relatively serious Squirrel Girl this month (#18), but I loved these background gags.

That was good, this was better

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

TwoPair posted:

I feel bad for laughing at this but I can't stop myself from laughing at the Storm one because I can't help but imagine Storm talking like the 90s cartoon version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rj1B3l9gE

And delivering a PSA.

Hey. When she wasn't being all Goddess-Talk, she had a fine calming voice.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Choco1980 posted:

I kinda want a Galactus tumbler now

GALACTUS posted:

Unbelievable! Tried to go out and get a simple little snack. Per usual, my BFF Former BFF finds me just what I'm looking for and lets them know I'm on my way. Like always, the pathetic little insignificant "life forms" on it raised such a stink. "Oh no. Don't eat us you giant man from beyond the stars with tiny shorts. Please go away". Whatever, no big. But then I turn around and what do I see? One of the little cretins pulled a gun on me. WTF? This looked like such a nice place, and they have to resort to guns. And where did they find an ultimate nulifier anyway? Probably for that nosy little rat fink Uatu. Well, I'm not about to get my self nullified over a bite to eat. They can keep their little dirtball. But you know what hurt the most? My former Herald took their side. What, one conversation with some blind bitch and you're too good for power cosmic? Well gently caress him. He can stay here. I'm out. #StillHungry #AlmostTriggered

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

For Galactus, every day is filled with microagressions.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

For Galactus, every day is filled with microagressions.

On the other hand, when you're Galactus, all aggressions are micro.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope Galactus never finds out our planet has both pumpkins AND spices on it or we're freshly doomed again. :ohdear:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Volstagg and Fat Cobra in: ROAD TRIP would be the backup story (with eventual crossover into the main) in the Fraction/Aja/Hollingsworth Ironguy/Hawkfist book.

Wolverine they cheesed once, in that he's got a buddy who's more or less Leech, and can suppress his mutant script immunity healing factor, and does so once a year so he can get completely slagged.

Alcopanel: Hercules, having managed to acquire Dionysus' pig (the skin of which turns water into wine), is indulging himself .

(Thor: Blood Oath #3)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

prefect posted:

According to Norse mythology, Thor (a) could not tell the difference between beer and ocean water, and (b) could still drink enough ocean water to change sea levels noticeably.

Maybe he just thought Giants made really crappy beer?
(He didn't want to mention it. That'd be rude.)

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i don't think mythological thor has any qualms about being rude

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ygolonac posted:

Volstagg and Fat Cobra in: ROAD TRIP would be the backup story (with eventual crossover into the main) in the Fraction/Aja/Hollingsworth Ironguy/Hawkfist book.

Wolverine they cheesed once, in that he's got a buddy who's more or less Leech, and can suppress his mutant script immunity healing factor, and does so once a year so he can get completely slagged.

Alcopanel: Hercules, having managed to acquire Dionysus' pig (the skin of which turns water into wine), is indulging himself .

(Thor: Blood Oath #3)

Those don't look like guys.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

quite stretched out posted:

i don't think mythological thor has any qualms about being rude

I don't think mythological Thor has any qualms about drinking a drinking horn of salt water if there is even the slightest chance there might be beer at the bottom.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Mythological Thor was drinking from it as part of a drinking contest. It could taste like literal piss and he would have kept chugging.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Slashrat posted:

Mythological Thor was drinking from it as part of a drinking contest. It could taste like literal piss and he would have kept chugging.

I can only hope to one day think beer tastes better than sea water.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

There's only one part of the comic Wanted that really stayed with me.

Our anti-hero Wesley Gibson is hanging out at the annual council of super-villains who secretly run the world. The last councilmember, a skull-faced man named Mister Rictus, arrives with his posse. I guess he's like half Red Skull, half Joker? Everyone's terrified of him, telling Wesley do NOT gently caress with this guy, but what with the boy's tragic past, as Rictus goes to leave, he can't help trying to get oooone dig in. Doesn't go as he plans.

The movie is essentially a completely different story, but I really wish they could have worked that line in. I think it would work well on a screen.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Doc Hawkins posted:

There's only one part of the comic Wanted that really stayed with me.

Our anti-hero Wesley Gibson is hanging out at the annual council of super-villains who secretly run the world. The last councilmember, a skull-faced man named Mister Rictus, arrives with his posse. I guess he's like half Red Skull, half Joker? Everyone's terrified of him, telling Wesley do NOT gently caress with this guy, but what with the boy's tragic past, as Rictus goes to leave, he can't help trying to get oooone dig in. Doesn't go as he plans.

The movie is essentially a completely different story, but I really wish they could have worked that line in. I think it would work well on a screen.

Is this where "MARK MILLAR FUCKS FLICKS GOATS" comes from or something?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wanted was always a genuinely cool idea that was so bogged down by EDJYY AWEZOMECOOL!!!!! bullshit that it exploded on the runway like a terrible metaphor. Sorry, I meant to say "like a terrible metaphor YOUR MOM'S PANTIES PUSSY SEX BLOOD GUTS HEAD EXPLODE gently caress poo poo gently caress!!"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It also had the the unfortunate millar trait of making every character completely unlikable.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Monaghan posted:

It also had the the unfortunate millar trait of making every character completely unlikable.

Still better than Unfunnies.

No, I won't be posting any of that. It was poo poo.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This is a very exciting cover.

Also, i'm going to go ahead and assume that Fiery Mask does not have a "no killing" rule.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

He seems to be missing at least the Mask part of his name.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

a kitten posted:

Also, i'm going to go ahead and assume that Fiery Mask does not have a "no killing" rule.

A mace is usually a good indicator of that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Taerkar posted:

He seems to be missing at least the Mask part of his name.

I assume the fiery mask is when his face is bathed in flame once he smashes that car.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
That's obviously Tiny Mace on the cover, not Fiery Mask, because Fiery mask is a man of mystery and action, and the Mace is a man of busting loving faces with a mace.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
man, the look on her face. she is fully aware that she is about to see a head split like a melon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he's only the fiery mask for brief, spicy periods of time