Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

"Hey guys, how do we get more people to visit our Intranet?" "Improve the Intranet so users have a reason to go there!" "No, let's just force them."

We did both and it turned out successful. Employees were constantly complaining that store management did not communicate changes/news to them and it was difficult to find forms/documentation/etc. So I put together a Intranet site built on a wiki platform (Tiki Wiki) hosted on a small Ubuntu Server VM. And then using a GPO for Chrome, it is locked as the homepage on all the branch computers. The main page is a constantly updated internal news feed.

Over the 2 years we have had it, it has grown immensely with just about every bit of information a employee could possibly need easily available and searchable. It is also the only place to obtain various line of business forms such as new hire paperwork, benefits info, training certifications, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

stevewm posted:

We did both and it turned out successful. Employees were constantly complaining that store management did not communicate changes/news to them and it was difficult to find forms/documentation/etc. So I put together a Intranet site built on a wiki platform (Tiki Wiki) hosted on a small Ubuntu Server VM. And then using a GPO for Chrome, it is locked as the homepage on all the branch computers. The main page is a constantly updated internal news feed.

Over the 2 years we have had it, it has grown immensely with just about every bit of information a employee could possibly need easily available and searchable. It is also the only place to obtain various line of business forms such as new hire paperwork, benefits info, training certifications, etc...

We do this, only with Sharepoint.

The main intranet page has a news carousel, links to the payroll and timekeeping self service sites, corporate calendar, and a few other things. Then we push it as the mandatory home page for all three major browsers. (Firefox is a giant pain, have to push a lovely config file instead of using GPO)

Since this is on Sharepoint Online, we pushed a specially formed url for the sharepoint site so their browser session starts logged in automatically, and if they're using domain joined computers they never see a login prompt for 365.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Fool posted:

We do this, only with Sharepoint.

The main intranet page has a news carousel, links to the payroll and timekeeping self service sites, corporate calendar, and a few other things. Then we push it as the mandatory home page for all three major browsers. (Firefox is a giant pain, have to push a lovely config file instead of using GPO)

Since this is on Sharepoint Online, we pushed a specially formed url for the sharepoint site so their browser session starts logged in automatically, and if they're using domain joined computers they never see a login prompt for 365.

We standardized on Google Chrome some time ago due to it having native GPO support. IE is blocked, and regular users cannot install software, so no Firefox installs.

I ended up stumbling upon this open-source Tiki Wiki project. (https://tiki.org/tiki-index.php) It has a shitload of features built in, basically everything is included by default, you just have to enable it. Even has a pseudo-database built in, much like Access. Makes it easy to build custom forms/pages/etc.. I ended up building a whole system to track our company vehicles and all the information about them through it, and also a system to template and generate the standard signage we use in our retail stores.

It is only available when on our internal network. The majority of information is available and read-only without logging in. Edits and some more confidential info require a login with proper permissions.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

So I'm on the help desk at a large company. We are rolling out Windows 10 upgrades soon to about ~800 computers at our headquarters (prob another 10,000+ at our branches). The problem is the in place upgrade that was created does not install the video driver for any computer that has Intel HD graphics as the Windows 7 driver is not compatible with Windows 10 so the only thing that is installed on computers using the upgrade is the basic windows video adapter. The guy who built the in place upgrade is perfectly fine letting this stand since he isn't the one who is going to have to manually install updated video drivers to all the computers that are affected. The question I have is, is there a way to have the task sequence check which Intel graphics chipset is in the computer and than install the corresponding driver?

Has anyone gone through an upgrade to Windows 10 at their company? How did it go?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You should just be letting mdt inject the appropriate drivers during imaging.

I'm in the middle of a 10 upgrade, and have had zero issues coming from a mix of 7 and 8.1

All of my hardware is hp pro or elite though, so that helps.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Starkk posted:

So I'm on the help desk at a large company. We are rolling out Windows 10 upgrades soon to about ~800 computers at our headquarters (prob another 10,000+ at our branches). The problem is the in place upgrade that was created does not install the video driver for any computer that has Intel HD graphics as the Windows 7 driver is not compatible with Windows 10 so the only thing that is installed on computers using the upgrade is the basic windows video adapter. The guy who built the in place upgrade is perfectly fine letting this stand since he isn't the one who is going to have to manually install updated video drivers to all the computers that are affected. The question I have is, is there a way to have the task sequence check which Intel graphics chipset is in the computer and than install the corresponding driver?

That is very doable and your engineers are just being lazy. Your best bet is probably to query how many systems would be affected, estimate the time the help desk would need to spend on each one, and have your management escalate the issue to department that's designing the task sequence with data in hand.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's possible that they actually are putting drivers in the image, but Windows 10 is overriding them.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

The Fool posted:

You should just be letting mdt inject the appropriate drivers during imaging.

I'm in the middle of a 10 upgrade, and have had zero issues coming from a mix of 7 and 8.1

All of my hardware is hp pro or elite though, so that helps.

From my understanding we are using an upgrade built in SCCM that will be advertised to clients through Software Center. I don't think MDT is being utilized.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That is very doable and your engineers are just being lazy. Your best bet is probably to query how many systems would be affected, estimate the time the help desk would need to spend on each one, and have your management escalate the issue to department that's designing the task sequence with data in hand.

It's one dude who is charge of the upgrade, it's not that he is lazy but he's been doing this for like 30 yrs and his knowledge is a bit deprecated. I've already gone to my boss to explain how many man hours this will entail but he says management won't delay it any longer as it was already supposed to be done by now.

anthonypants posted:

It's possible that they actually are putting drivers in the image, but Windows 10 is overriding them.
I'll check the task sequence tomorrow but I think what is going on is that the Intel HD graphics that are installed on current windows 7 simply aren't compatible with 10 so instead of using the already installed drivers it's installing the windows basic video adapter.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

You need to raise a huge stink to whoever manages support (or whoever your boss is) and mention how much time this will take across your whole department versus one guy fixing it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I mean, gently caress that guy.

Can you push the right driver via powershell after upgrade?

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

I mean, gently caress that guy.

Can you push the right driver via powershell after upgrade?

I think I found a driver on intels site that should work with most chipsets. I'm going to see if I can get it added to the task sequence. Going to test it tomorrow.

I dont know powershell yet other then mucking around with scripts i found online. I did purchase the learn powershell in a month of lunches third edition and plan on working thru it.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
I followed this article to upgrade my company of 600 from Win 7 to 10 v1511 and it worked perfectly.

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/533/Improving-the-ConfigMgr-Inplace-Upgrade-Task-Sequence

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Windows drives aren't perfect but holy gently caress have we gone a long way from the old days. Generally, if you give windows a chance to choose the right driver and simply make it available the process is pretty simple. SCCM makes this process pretty loving simple. Display drives are in my experience the easiest of the bunch.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Generally after the first boot Windows would install the correct video drivers via Windows update.. unless you have that blocked with group policy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

redeyes posted:

Generally after the first boot Windows would install the correct video drivers via Windows update.. unless you have that blocked with group policy.

Surely you're running Windows patches through validation then rolling them on your schedule rather than just having users hit Windows update. Give them the option, sure, but letting Windows patch itself is going to break something critical sooner or later.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah windows updates is blocked by gpo so that they can go thru qa etc.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It may have since changed, but I was under the impression Windows 10 driver updates ignored GPO/WSUS settings.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!
Yeah, that's definitely still the case. You can block access to Windows Update but still allow it to update drivers on-demand.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm looking to start down the rabbit hole of MS certs. Is MTA useless if I've been in IT for 10 years already? I'm thinking of taking one of those courses to get my feet wet and then jumping into the first MCSA (should I go for server 2016 or are 2012 R2 exams still available?)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think it would be useless. A big part of MS Certification testing is learning how to take a MS test. Just to get used to it I think it would be worth it.

I think the 2012R2 exams are still available.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I've heard it recommended to just go for the newest exam, otherwise you have to take an upgrade exam anyway to get to 2016 level and stay current.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

skipdogg posted:

I don't think it would be useless. A big part of MS Certification testing is learning how to take a MS test. Just to get used to it I think it would be worth it.

Having just done an MTA after around 10 years in IT, I can agree with this point. Learn the testing procedure, and go try a testing site. I've been to some crappy sites, and I'd rather do that during a certification I can pass in my sleep than one I will fail because of the flies assaulting me.

The MTA is recommended for the MCSA/MCSE pathway anyway, but that just may be MS trying to get another :10bux: out of you.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sounds like a plan, thanks guys

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Make sure you brush up on your outdated command lines utilities for active directory and your arbitrary Powershell cmdlets, since in the real world you'll never be able to reference them in a pinch.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Make sure you brush up on your outdated command lines utilities for active directory and your arbitrary Powershell cmdlets, since in the real world you'll never be able to reference them in a pinch.

That always irks me. Who in the world memorizes powershell commands for these specialized cmdlets? I get they need filler but this always ends up being needlessly tedious for their exams. Par for the course though.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Do they not have help files loaded? Cisco makes you "memorize"/type commands etc but help will also be available in the CLi*

*Unless there is an issue with the sim OR you're on the wrong path

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MF_James posted:

Do they not have help files loaded? Cisco makes you "memorize"/type commands etc but help will also be available in the CLi*

Its been a few years since I have taken a MS test but did they finally put an actual working sim into a test comparable to cisco? This would be the first I have heard of it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MF_James posted:

Most of the questions are multiple-choice, not a practical application.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
There are questions where they'll give you 4 sample PS commands and you'll need to pick the right one. Often they'll be the same thing but with some filtering options oriented differently.

My favorite ones are the DISM ones though. As if anyone ever loving memorizes a DISM command.

Unfortunately "I made a small utility batch/script that prompts for path variables and never thought about it again" isn't the correct answer.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 9, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MF_James posted:

Just curious, but have you ever taken a MS exam before?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

What is the command to list available relying parties configured on a federation server?

A. Get-WebAppProxyAvailableADFSRelyingParty
B. Get-WebApplicationProxyAvailableADFSRelyingParty
C. Get-WebApplicationProxyADFSRelyingParty
D. Get-WebApplicationProxyAvailableRelyingParty

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 9, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

NO THE CORRECT ANSWER IS USE POWERSHELL ISE YOU FUCKERS

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Hurr on what tab of this dialog box would you find the setting you want?"

Really useful to have that memorised guys, thanks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh no, you clicked on the wrong tab! The server is going to crash and then EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sickening posted:

No, I was assuming they were having you write powershell commands not doing something as dumb as multiple choice "Spot the letter that is swapped around" stupidity, but obviously I am dead wrong.

At some point I would like to take MCSE, but cisco comes first.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone know what the minimum amount of servers requires for RDS remote app deployment is? And does it require AD? This would be for one or two users.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

lol internet. posted:

Anyone know what the minimum amount of servers requires for RDS remote app deployment is? And does it require AD? This would be for one or two users.

This seems like a 10lb sledge for a finishing nail. Do you already have RDS farm running and you just need a few people to run remote apps?

I mean you CAN do a single server deployment, you just stick all the roles on the single server. This could be a guide (note: I have not read it but it talks about single server RDS deployment): https://msfreaks.wordpress.com/2013/12/09/windows-2012-r2-remote-desktop-services-part-1/

So, you really need 2 servers anyway though, because, yes, you do need AD and SQL (which CAN be installed on a DC with some fuckery).

Really, you should probably not be trying to do this for 2 users. What problem are you trying to solve?

MF_James fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 10, 2017

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

MF_James posted:

Really, you should probably not be trying to do this for 2 users. What problem are you trying to solve?

Access for a remote user for specific apps to one server. RDP is out of the question due to security concerns to the full OS. They wanted XenApp but clearly they don't know how much that costs.

RDS alone doesn't require sql does it? I don't recall using it on a 2012r2 RDS.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

lol internet. posted:

Access for a remote user for specific apps to one server. RDP is out of the question due to security concerns to the full OS. They wanted XenApp but clearly they don't know how much that costs.

RDS alone doesn't require sql does it? I don't recall using it on a 2012r2 RDS.

What about just a plain VPN to the local network that everyone else works from.
Or a socks proxy

I don't understand the concerns of OS security. RDS is going to give you a full OS too. Give them a windows 10 VM on your existing virtualization platform, RDP and a vlan tag.

Really I'd do a lot of things before I set up VDI for one user.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Well remote app RDS shouldn't give them a full OS since it's just the app..

And vpn in, might as well give them RDP. All these machines are hosted in the cloud as well. The idea is access to the OS app but not the OS.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 10, 2017