Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Scrublord Prime posted:

The Rumplestiltskin puzzle is at least optional, if you can't guess his hosed up name in three tries you can take an alternate route to the cloud/mountain area and you'll just miss getting a perfect score.
Fun fact is that this was modified in the later releases of of King's Quest, the original version from 1984 required you to solve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Ahaha jesus, never mind me then. Was the cavern path added then too or did it have a different use in the original release?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm playing Hallow Knight! The sword slashing feels very good. I would like to stop getting hit with random stalactites that you have very little warning about. I'm very intrigued in the world but I wish there was a bit more color. And by a bit more color I mean like... any color. What color there is is muted which is what they're going for I guess, I just like color. Ori and the Blind Forest for instance had a similar melancholy vibe while keeping things pretty colorful. The jumping takes some getting used to because you can instantly move left or right in the middle of a jump instead of the more having to commit to a direction like most platformers. The map system is neat how you have to keep the map updated yourself as you discover more of the caves, and you can buy things that allow you to see where you are on the map and stuff. I feel like the game is holding out on me with a double jump and I would very much like to get it please

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So if Wildlands tanks does Ubisoft have the liquid cash to fend off a Vivendi takeover, or should we expect this to be one of the last gasps for them?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

So if Wildlands tanks does Ubisoft have the liquid cash to fend off a Vivendi takeover, or should we expect this to be one of the last gasps for them?
If they have a last gasp I assume it would be the return of Assassins Creed which is probably going to be revealed at E3 and released this holiday

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

it will more than likely make its money back and do well, just like every other Ubi game not named Steep.

Everyone from Guerrilla Games to Monolith to loving Nintendo can now make open world games better than they do so it's not really a big deal to me if they get buried, though it would probably suck for Michel Ancel. Maybe then he could finally make games for a company that gives a gently caress about his work.

Quest For Glory II posted:

If they have a last gasp I assume it would be the return of Assassins Creed which is probably going to be revealed at E3 and released this holiday

if they need to pin emergency monies on an AC game this winter they're going to get murdered by Red Dead 1

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i can't believe the new asscreed is a reskinned spiderman 2

e: but i am excited

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

lets-all-go-to-the-lobby style nightmare fuel. frightening

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

when are we supposed to hear more about the Spider-Man game for PS4

is that off the table

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
A bit late to the visual novel but I really wish that they could combine the creativity, complexity, and experimentation of the modern text adventure scene and with the ease of use and quality of life and production values of the visual novel.

Phantasium posted:

Re: Visual Novel chat, if you want something like that but are allergic to anime, you can always try The 39 Steps on Steam, which is just a really nice adaptation of an old thriller novel and is quite good (I don't think there's any choices or anything like that).

You could tell that it was an adaptation of a century-old novel because the villains are The Jews.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Isn't Yooka-Laylee the game that promoted itself with "Guess you loved collectathons, huh, we'll give you tons more collectables"

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Yooka-Laylee looks really cool in the retro n64 collect stuff platformer sense of the game but all of the videos I've seen seem to be like 90% open space.

Maybe i'm just misremembering Banjo Kazooie.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
VN chat: Aviary Attorney is extremely cool and good. It features lots of dumb jokes, cool artwork, and MURDER!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

grieving for Gandalf posted:

when are we supposed to hear more about the Spider-Man game for PS4

is that off the table

Sony has been doing 2 e3's and then a spring release for practically all their 1st party games lately so probably out by may 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't Yooka-Laylee the game that promoted itself with "Guess you loved collectathons, huh, we'll give you tons more collectables"

it promoted itself as being made by rare devs yes

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

You could tell that it was an adaptation of a century-old novel because the villains are The Jews.

Well I didn't remember that detail, so gently caress me and that suggestion.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Apropos of nothing, The House in Fata Morgana is IMO the best VN currently on Steam if one is interested in a fairly brutal tragedy/drama/romance with extremely flawed but ultimately empathetic characters. What made it really cool was that it appears at first to be simply a serious of short unconnected vignettes about tragedies that transpire in a mansion over hundreds of years, but after a while it becomes quite apparent that everything is connected in a variety of ways and ultimately leads to story going into some insane(ly cool) directions. I'm not going to sit here and claim it's the only medium that that particular could be told but I think it did work quite well in that format, in that the artstyle was very unique and appealing and the music owned, and it did the VN sort of thing where not knowing what your avatar/the MC looks like plays into the story itself in a fashion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

Can't wait for the resurgence of off-brand mascot 3D platformers :smithicide:

I would probably play a new Gex game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

gex 4: pig trouble in lizard china

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

codenameFANGIO posted:

The hideous character designs are how you know it's really made by rare employees.

The UK is very bad at making 'cute' things imo, like we've figured it out now by learning from other cultures but when we try to make things for children under our own steam it usually just ends up looking vaguely horrifying.

Macaluso posted:

I'm playing Hallow Knight! The sword slashing feels very good. I would like to stop getting hit with random stalactites that you have very little warning about. I'm very intrigued in the world but I wish there was a bit more color. And by a bit more color I mean like... any color. What color there is is muted which is what they're going for I guess, I just like color. Ori and the Blind Forest for instance had a similar melancholy vibe while keeping things pretty colorful. The jumping takes some getting used to because you can instantly move left or right in the middle of a jump instead of the more having to commit to a direction like most platformers. The map system is neat how you have to keep the map updated yourself as you discover more of the caves, and you can buy things that allow you to see where you are on the map and stuff. I feel like the game is holding out on me with a double jump and I would very much like to get it please

I was playing this for a while and gave up after maybe, 15 hours? The jumping having zero momentum throws you off a little. You should get used to doing the downward swing on the sword, it's kinda finnicky to pull off but literally essential to finishing the game; it's really useful for some bosses and enemies, and it's required for some platforming stuff. You should also get used to an inordinate amount of backtracking in the name of ~exploration~. I gave up because a lot of bosses are gonna kill you a bunch before you figure out how to beat them, and every retry will usually involve multiple rooms of fairly precise platforming between you and the boss fight that'll take a few minutes to jump through. Not all the bosses are like that, but some are really obnoxious about it and I kinda reached the point where I knew there were a lot more bosses ahead of me and I wasn't willing to put up with the game being that aggressively unenjoyable. A lot of folks seem to really enjoy it though, so I hope you have fun!

The double jump is a loooong way in, but you get a dash and a wall jump before that which open up a lot of the map to you.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I've been avoiding watching any gameplay footage for Yooka-Laylee but so long as it's fun I won't give a poo poo about weird-rear end character designs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have to be able to look at the game I'm playing

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Macaluso posted:

So I gotta be real: I think with the exception of Yooka and Laylee themselves, the character designs in that game are awful. Every time they show off a new character art, it always looks really ugly. Maybe that's intentional? The villain doesn't look TOO bad and the minecart guy looks alright but like that duck thing? The octopus girl? The little blue minion guys? This weird tree thing they showed on twitter today?

Like I dunno, maybe just me but I think a lot of the character designs in the game look very unappealing. Hopefully the gameplay ends up being really good though

I agree that they are ugly, but I find it charming.

I think they're trying to mimic the style of awful pre-rendered concept art from 90's gaming magazines

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I've been avoiding watching any gameplay footage for Yooka-Laylee but so long as it's fun I won't give a poo poo about weird-rear end character designs

I'm excited to have another bear and bird adventure but this time with lizard and bat.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

VideoGames posted:

Heheh. I saw this post and then stealth edited the title :getin:

I just got up and caught up with the thread, and thanks for this, VideoGames! I've never had a thread named after something I said before :D

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

Well I didn't remember that detail, so gently caress me and that suggestion.

I don't know how strong it was in the original book but in the game there's only one time that they explicitly mention that Jewish elites are the people conspiring to assassinate an ambassador so they can profit off of the war it causes, the rest of the time it's just the assassination itself that they focus on. And it's explicitly a historical work with the game being a way to present the prototypical "man on the run" story in a new way so it's not like guys making the game are anti-semites or anything.

It wasn't super amazing as a game but it was kind of cool from a historical perspective since there were times when you would be combing through actual early-1900s newspapers and there was a lot of period photographs and artwork. It reminded me more of those CD-ROM multimedia experiences that were big in the mid 90's than a traditional visual novel.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

suuma posted:

Yooka-Laylee looks really cool in the retro n64 collect stuff platformer sense of the game but all of the videos I've seen seem to be like 90% open space.

Maybe i'm just misremembering Banjo Kazooie.

not quite banjo-kazooie, but that's definitely spot-on for tooie

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Guys this might be shocking to y'all but I don't think Yooka-Laylee is gonna be a good game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

an actual dog posted:

Guys this might be shocking to y'all but I don't think Yooka-Laylee is gonna be a good game.
I think it's more likely that it will be a very faithful throwback to N64 era 3D platformers, and a lot of people are going to find that they're not a fan of that type of game anymore.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

theres a reason why mario sunshine is the weakest 3d mario and mario 3d world is the best one, open levels dont hold a candle to carefully crafted ones

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

80 Days is a good VN-like and non-anime

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mario Sunshine is my favourite 3D Mario :shobon:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also blue coins can go gently caress themsevles

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Palpek posted:

The myster is why? Cats lack sweet taste receptors.

Sometimes, it's just about having it more than being able to properly enjoy it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Quest For Glory II posted:

theres a reason why mario sunshine is the weakest 3d mario and mario 3d world is the best one, open levels dont hold a candle to carefully crafted ones

I still haven't played past world 1 of 3D world, I should get back to that

Backlog: Horizon, Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, Mario 3D World

All presently trumped by: loving Path of Exile :negative:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think in KQ6 there's a dog you need to distract and two items will do it. One you need to use in a later puzzle and one you're actually supposed to use and of course if you use the former, the game is unbeatable with no indication that this is the case.

KQ5 had this one as well with that loving rat. I think that puzzle had two different solutions, and one would make the game unbeatable. However, you wouldn't even realize it until way down the line. To top it off, that puzzle has like a 3-second window to solve with no indication that it's actually going to happen. The little fucker gets chased on screen by a cat and gets caught just a couple seconds later. There's your window to hit the loving cat with a boot or stick. The stick is wrong. if you don't solve the puzzle at all, the game becomes unbeatable from that as well.

I actually hold the entire Sierra adventure line-up in high regard because I apparently was a masochist as a kid.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VideoGames posted:

I love Sam n Max hit the road. Playing it as a kid with my bestie and him getting a Soundblaster 16 card for his birthday and turning on the voice acting was a watershed moment.

Since they made remasters of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and Day of the Tentacle, I hope they are able to do a Hit the Road remaster at some point. With original voices of course, since the Telltale VAs just don't match up.

Palpek posted:

In King's Quest for example you needed to guess a gnome's name. That character is a refernce to Rumpelstiltskin (you have to know that on your own, the game doesn't include that name) but that's not the right answer.

In a totally different location in the game you can find a random message that says 'sometimes things are backwards' or something like that and if for some reason you connected that concept with the gnome's name you'd get Nikstlitslepumr...but that's also wrong.

The right answer is that instead of inverting the word itself you should have thought about inverting the alphabet and replace each A-Z letter with its Z-A counterpart so you'd get Ifnkovhgroghprm you big dummy!

If you told me Roberta Williams was a dominatrix who derived pleasure from the suffering of people who played her games, I wouldn't doubt you for a second.

Macaluso posted:

I think Yooka and Laylee look fine, Yooka mostly. The rest on the other hand

That thing looks like a refugee from Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 9, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I think we should give yooka laylee a chance

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

Since they made remasters of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and Day of the Tentacle, I hope they are able to do a Hit the Road remaster at some point. With original voices of course, since the Telltale VAs just don't match up.

Next up is Full Throttle, should be showing up sometime this year.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mak0rz posted:

I think we should give yooka laylee a chance

If the gameplay is good that's all I really need. The game is still not lookin good visually tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I still haven't played past world 1 of 3D world, I should get back to that

Backlog: Horizon, Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, Mario 3D World

All presently trumped by: loving Path of Exile :negative:
M3DW has a little bit of a slow ramp up where the early worlds are pretty easy but man do they eventually get creative and tricky, and then the ACTUAL final world, and then the secret world, and the NEXT secret world, and the NEXT secret world...

• Locked thread