Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

The Varsity isn't too far away from there.
Perfect username/post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Ted Ginn to New Orleans, looks like.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
So they're really gonna trade Cooks then?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Big Jesus posted:

So they're really gonna trade Cooks then?

Yep:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839883430938693632

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

The Varsity isn't too far away from there.

Why would you do this to yourself

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Why would you do this to yourself

Because every suburbanites answer to "where should I go eat in atlanta?" when someone is in from out of town is the Varsity.

We got jokes

e: last time I was at the varsity was probably a decade ago when I was meeting a guy I found on Craigslist selling a Zune. He gets out of his car and goes to hand me the Zune to look at and drops it, shattering the screen and popping the back piece off. I just walked away and got an Orange drink thing.

Hindsight being 20/20 I'm feeling that was gods way of protecting me from owning a Zune.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 9, 2017

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Chilichimp posted:

Insert Michael Scott Noooooooooooo gif here.

Noooooooooooo

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Lmao at Giraffe American Mike Glennon going to the bears for 14.5 mil a year.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Pale Horse posted:

He only accounts for like 8% of the Bears total cap. 14.5 is not a lot of money when the cap is 167 million and increasing every year.

By comparison of Ryan, Rodgers and Luck, those guys make up 15-16% of their teams total cap. Qb contracts are ridiculous.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

A Pale Horse posted:

and 19 million guaranteed

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

He only accounts for like 8% of the Bears total cap. 14.5 is not a lot of money when the cap is 167 million and increasing every year.

By comparison of Ryan, Rodgers and Luck, those guys make up 15-16% of their teams total cap. Qb contracts are ridiculous.

I wish that I had QB genes that I could've passed to my kids. What is the money they'll be getting in 15-20 years?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

not only are you replacing cooks with ted loving ginn, but you're losing him in a trade with the patriots which you'll almost certainly lose

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Counterpoint: Mike Glennon

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

this is a very bizarre scenario where the only people defending a player's contract are the fans of the team he used to be a backup on

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I mean, I'd defend Glennon to my dying day

he can be a starting quarterback if you protect him

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I mean, I'd defend Glennon to my dying day

he can be a starting quarterback if you protect him

Anyone can be a starting QB if you're brave enough.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

Anyone can be a starting QB if you're brave enough.

The little giraffe that could.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Big Mike is a fine enough placeholder until you get a real QB. He won't lose you too many games but man you better have a line, cause he cannot run or even scramble. He's accurate though.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bucs resigned Conte. Ugh. Fine. Whatever.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I've been at work all day but apparently the Bucs are going to sign DeSean Jackson? Pretty sweet. He's getting a little long in the tooth for a speedster receiver but hopefully he still has 2-3 years left of his peak.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

this is a very bizarre scenario where the only people defending a player's contract are the fans of the team he used to be a backup on

I mean, I'm not saying that he'll be great or even good, so I don't know if that's defending him. I just think it's a little ridiculous the way everyone has been making GBS threads all over him like he's the worst QB ever and that the deal he got was some huge mistake. He accounts for so little of the cap because of the increases in yearly numbers. 15m/year isn't the same as it used to be. He was mediocre on some loving awful teams. The kid went through like 3 head coaches and 6 offensive coordinators in 4 years.

I just think it's a little premature to call him a bust, or at least go so over the top like people have been doing, but I guess that's how things go here.

A Pale Horse posted:

I've been at work all day but apparently the Bucs are going to sign DeSean Jackson? Pretty sweet. He's getting a little long in the tooth for a speedster receiver but hopefully he still has 2-3 years left of his peak.

No numbers yet that I've seen but a few sites, namely Pewter Report, have said it's a done deal.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 9, 2017

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FizFashizzle posted:

not only are you replacing cooks with ted loving ginn, but you're losing him in a trade with the patriots which you'll almost certainly lose

I want no part of Ted Ginn and now I have to root for him. If they keep Cooks or get a hell of a deal for him, then I'll be OK with it.

They're not going to get a hell of a deal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I mean, I'm not saying that he'll be great or even good, so I don't know if that's defending him. I just think it's a little ridiculous the way everyone has been making GBS threads all over him like he's the worst QB ever and that the deal he got was some huge mistake. He accounts for so little of the cap because of the increases in yearly numbers. 15m/year isn't the same as it used to be. He was mediocre on some loving awful teams. The kid went through like 3 head coaches and 6 offensive coordinators in 4 years.

I just think it's a little premature to call him a bust, or at least go so over the top like people have been doing, but I guess that's how things go here.

No numbers yet that I've seen but a few sites, namely Pewter Report, have said it's a done deal.

He wasn't mediocre he was pretty Bad.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
He's especially good at air mailing passes out of bounds. That's what I remember most about him. And being a statue.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I cheered for Giraffe Man when he was with the Bucs, and always thought we had a top 5 backup the past two years, but now he's on another team so I can't exactly say I wish for him to be a superstar. He was fine for the situation he had to deal with, which as you've explained, was extremely lovely, but he's taken 11 real snaps in the past two years and hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in preseason games either so its hard to predict what he's become. People are right to be skeptical.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Pale Horse posted:

I cheered for Giraffe Man when he was with the Bucs, and always thought we had a top 5 backup the past two years, but now he's on another team so I can't exactly say I wish for him to be a superstar. He was fine for the situation he had to deal with, which as you've explained, was extremely lovely, but he's taken 11 real snaps in the past two years and hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in preseason games either so its hard to predict what he's become. People are right to be skeptical.

Skeptical sure but if you've read these boards and people's opinions and seen "skeptical" then I must be reading it completely wrong.

I'm skeptical he'll do well. You seem to be. Everyone else I've read has already written him off and awful and should be removed from the league.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

He wasn't mediocre he was pretty Bad.

He wasn't actually that bad.

Over 18 career starts

TD-INT 30–15
Passing yards: 4,100
Passer rating: 84.6

And that was with some of the worst offensive coordinators ever seen in football. The knock is no one's seen him play real football in 2 years.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Skeptical sure but if you've read these boards and people's opinions and seen "skeptical" then I must be reading it completely wrong.

I'm skeptical he'll do well. You seem to be. Everyone else I've read has already written him off and awful and should be removed from the league.

He's not exactly going to an ideal situation either.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Like I said, I've been at work all day so I haven't read any comments sections or other boards but people always over react to poo poo, especially in the offseason, you know that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know why I'm even as involved with it as I have been. I don't care what other teams do unless it directly affects the Bucs. Maybe I think he got shafted in Tampa and hope he does well, idk.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Bucs resigned Conte. Ugh. Fine. Whatever.

Hopefully for depth and they either go after someone in FA or draft someone. Other than a few plays against the Bears he was very not good last year.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Josh Lyman posted:

Around the time of the NFC Championship, I saw Dimitroff at my regular cocktail bar with a woman that wasn't his wife and definitely wasn't his daughter unless his daughter suddenly became an early-20s leggy blonde.

He got divorced back in 2015.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DNS posted:

He got divorced back in 2015.

an, that "5 things to know about Thomas Dimitroff" buzzfeed article really needs to be updated.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

FizFashizzle posted:

It's whatever.

You can get a pass to knock out the aquarium and world of coke but that's a lot of bullshit for one day especially with little kids

There isn't poo poo to eat around there though unless you wanna go to Johnny rockets or something

Aamar Indian is less than a mile away.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/839940686237560837

probably too much but they have 70 million in cap space and he's probably going to be their biggest acquisition.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Chilichimp posted:

Ted Ginn Jr, a man with no discernible football skills of any kind, is on his 5th NFL contract while Calvin Johnson, Chris Gaines, Jamaal Anderson, Patrick Willis, etc., all spin in their graves

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

A Pale Horse posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/839940686237560837

probably too much but they have 70 million in cap space and he's probably going to be their biggest acquisition.

Bucs have actually been smart about contacts lately so even if he doesn't work out they'll likely be ok.

A Pale Horse posted:

Hopefully for depth and they either go after someone in FA or draft someone. Other than a few plays against the Bears he was very not good last year.

Yeah, sounds like they'll sign someone and probably draft another.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Saints signed former Lion OG Larry Warford. Good, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839944681437921280

Okay, I'm a fan of this deal.

They also signed DT Chris Baker for 3 years at 6 per.

• Locked thread