Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Giving her staff a toggle with E and allowing her to shoot her (buffed) pistol while dual wielding her staff for buffs and heals would be extremely good and fun.

Edit: make the switching staff modes animation turn the staff to the other end for an extra cool factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if you gave her the option to rez herself when dead -or- rez everyone else like normal (one time use for either) would that be too strong or just a bad idea

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You'd literally never rez yourself with mercy at her current shape. What's the point of losing your ult for you lovely self? Oh goodie you can stick up your Pharrah's rear end again but you lost all of your ult charge.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Is Mercy really in such a bad spot? I'm seeing her plenty right now. She's super common to see as one character gimmick smurfs as well.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jeza posted:

Is Mercy really in such a bad spot? I'm seeing her plenty right now. She's super common to see as one character gimmick smurfs as well.

She's not a bad hero, she's just not terribly exciting to play and the other healers are all a little better in different ways (except Ana who is a lot better in most ways)

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I honestly think k she's one of the worst heroes right now, and the only reason she's playable is because healing is so important and strong but I'd honestly rather have a symmetra as my "support" than mercy.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jeza posted:

the main reason you see a lot of her is she's just so mind-numbingly easy to play while still providing a decent benefit to your team, as well as a lending a certain amount of validity to blaming the rest of your team for losing instead of yourself

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

New Bastion dragged Mercy back into the meta because he's the first hero worth pocketing to the extent of giving up speed boost/discord orb/Ana, and pocketing someone else is where Mercy's value is at ever since Ana's release and the general increase in healing

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 9, 2017

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The thing with Mercy is that her positive features are also the most boring things ever. I agree 100% about letting her shoot and heal at the same time.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Letting Mercy shoot and heal at the same time would be fun. I like playing Mercy even as is because Mercy is a really chill hero to play.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maybe let her use both beams at once? They both break if los breaks anyway, so as long as you can glance at a person then glance at a second person you're good.

quote:

Letting Mercy shoot and heal at the same time would be fun. I like playing Mercy even as is because Mercy is a really chill hero to play.

Or this, and same. Mercy's my favorite to play as, followed by Lucio. Just fly/wallride everywhere!

Though I still like my old idea of removing her gun and just banning anyone who shoots Mercy for committing a war crime.

Scotlander
Jun 22, 2013
On the subject of the devs making changes, on the last Overview podcast it was mentioned that there is a pro-player discord, that has most of the top Western pros in it as well as a couple of the lead developers. Apparently Slasher(Rod Breslau) found out that the devs reached out to the pros on the discord for their thoughts on the last PTR patch, but only got answers from 2 players. He's been bugging every pro to give their two cents to the devs on this patch, which might be the reason for the quick reversal of a couple of the changes. The zenyatta discord change especially didn't seem to be well liked by most of them.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Mercy is my main and I have a lot of fun playing as her. I'm really not very good at FPS games and aiming on the PS4 is hard, so this way I still feel like I contribute and have a good time. I'm in the poo poo-tier ranks where she's still useful and it's nice to hear my teammates thanking me each time I heal or resurrect. The other supports can definitely do a lot more but I'll be hosed if I can aim effectively as Ana or Lucio.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Mercy being weak is super good because she's literally the most unfun hero in the game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mymla posted:

Mercy being weak is super good because she's literally the most unfun hero in the game.

well i can't fault that logic

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mercy firing while healing would probably be OP with her DPS/HPS as it is right now. Her DPS is actually the same as Ana, and while her projectiles aren't hitscan they can fire through teammates and also headshot for x2 damage. So a healer that can do 100% of Ana's DPS and 64% of ana's healing simultaneously? Zen can do both but has massively less HPS to make up for it, his HPS is less than a third of Ana's. Lucio's is even lower (Even with his burst healing it's not even half of Ana's)

The fact that she can't DPS while healing is why they gave her the damage boost beam, she can switch back and forth instantly and can build Ult off of it. If they gave her the ability to fire and heal at the same time, they'd probably need to remove the damage boost beam as well as reducing her simultaneous DPS/HPS to compensate. Maybe have something like "When mercy offhands her pistol she fires slower and gains spread, and her healing is reduced for 3 seconds after each shot".

khy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 9, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yo Mercy pocketing an Offensive Ana with Symmetra and Torb armor is the biggest loving bullshit in this game. Holy poo poo she's invincible.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Maybe let her use both beams at once? They both break if los breaks anyway, so as long as you can glance at a person then glance at a second person you're good.
healing beam boosts damage of target by 10%, damage beam heals target for 20 HPS

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Meh. Nevermind.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jeza posted:

The problem with Mercy is that aside from her ult, she can't fight and support at the same time, which means she mainly has to stand around being a non-combatant and provide enough value to her team to justify them basically being down a player at all times. However, all her non-ult skills only affect one person at a time, and Blizzard seems reluctant to turn up the effectiveness of those skills for fear that she might be able to turn someone into an unstoppable supersoldier by pocketing them. Since they're not yet willing to change either of those aspects of her character, they're stuck just slightly tweaking her ult and Guardian Angel, even though the ult was the only reason to ever use her in the first place.

She's not unusably bad, and a lot of people like her since her playstyle is simple and familiar (she's pretty much a knockoff of TF2's Medic) and her low skill ceiling and lack of combat ability means she's low-pressure to play. But in terms of effectiveness, she's overshadowed by the other healers - Ana is a better healer than she is, Zen's damage-boosting ability is far better than hers, Lucio brings a unique ability to the table and can buff his whole team at once, and all three of them can also participate in the fight while using their support skills. Other than Resurrection, there isn't really anything Mercy can do that someone else can't do better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jeza posted:

mercy's more popular the further down you go, but she is played a fair amount at every level. where you don't see a lot of mercy is in pro games, where it's a binary check: are they running pharah? ok, there's probably a mercy. are they not running pharah? then there's no mercy

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Get rid of Mercy's pistol and make her heal beam do damage to enemies

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Scotlander posted:

On the subject of the devs making changes, on the last Overview podcast it was mentioned that there is a pro-player discord, that has most of the top Western pros in it as well as a couple of the lead developers. Apparently Slasher(Rod Breslau) found out that the devs reached out to the pros on the discord for their thoughts on the last PTR patch, but only got answers from 2 players. He's been bugging every pro to give their two cents to the devs on this patch, which might be the reason for the quick reversal of a couple of the changes. The zenyatta discord change especially didn't seem to be well liked by most of them.

I hate pro players now.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I just carried really hard i want everyone to know that.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

If you could custom design a character for Overwatch, what would it be and what abilities would it have

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

What gets shut off if Mercy gets hacked? Can she still swap to her pistol?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

bagrada posted:

She can't dash or resurrect people. It's actually incredibly useful to hack her in a team fight because it makes her about a million times easier to kill

khy
Aug 15, 2005

bagrada posted:

Guardian angel is disabled, her Ult is disabled. Healing beam, Damage boost, and pistol are all still usable no problems after being hacked. But since GA is her primary source of survivability it really does screw her over if she gets hacked.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

khy posted:

If you could custom design a character for Overwatch, what would it be and what abilities would it have
Cyborg-robot piloted by a dolphin. It would be an offense hero, a squishy melee flanker/assassin type. As for the abilities:

- A cybernetic sabre, that temporarily leeches a small amount of ult charge on hit.
- An energy discharge, that purges him of any CC effects, damages enemies close to it, and itself for half the amount.
- A forward leap, that damages enemies on contact, and leashes them to it for a short period of time.

And ultimate:

- A short duration cloak, that renders it invisible and allows it to attack and use abilities without leaving invisibility. Gives extra speed and health regeneration when out of sight of enemy team.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Cyborg-robot piloted by a dolphin. It would be an offense hero, a squishy melee flanker/assassin type. As for the abilities:

- A cybernetic sabre, that temporarily leeches a small amount of ult charge on hit.
- An energy discharge, that purges him of any CC effects, damages enemies close to it, and itself for half the amount.
- A forward leap, that damages enemies on contact, and leashes them to it for a short period of time.

And ultimate:

- A short duration cloak, that renders it invisible and allows it to attack and use abilities without leaving invisibility. Gives extra speed and health regeneration when out of sight of enemy team.

I shall name him, Slork

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Bumper Stickup posted:

I hate pro players now.

There was a lot of concern with folks about how the Discord change would make dive comp too powerful. I agree. Making Zen's orbs have no spread is super good anyway.

The ana revert is dumb though

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
what does 'dive comp' mean?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Poque posted:

Tag someone with Discord, sprint past the Reinhardt to assassinate that person, get out, your team pushes forward with player advantage.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
yeah pros telling the devs not to buff zenyatta sounds like a blessing moreso than a curse. I loving hate playing the game when anyone can pick up tracer or genji and dominate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Poque posted:

it's basically a team of high mobility flankers that jump straight into the other team and pick them apart

the classic dive comp is lucio/zen/winston/zarya/geni/tracer. lucio for speed/area heals, zen for the orbs (harmony is great for helping flankers win 1v1s and discord lets them shred key targets easily), winston for jumping the high ground, zarya for enabling winston to not die and providing graviton surge, the other two because they have a ton of mobility and can do a ton of damage

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Give Mercy 0.5 seconds of invulnerability frames every time she uses Guardian Angel.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she can use guardian angel every other second, so no

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

A dude in a hover chair that summons/builds robots.

-Main weapon would be dual machine guns mounted on the chair. Total ammo of 40 with moderate spread and ok damage.
-A small spider bot you could build onto any surface. It latches onto the first enemy to get near it and messes with their vision for about 4 or so seconds. (think like static/distorted view)
-Medium sized dog bot that is just a general dps thing. Little less damage than torbs turret but is able to move around and attack things around the map.
-Barrier to protect himself.

Dunno about an ult but that's all I got. Maybe right click would let him control the bots manually.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
More temporary map altering abilities, like maybe someone could make a portal to the otherside of a wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

khy posted:

I said it before, but I want a time traveling velociraptor that lorewise is related to both Tracer (with the time travel) and Winston (intelligent animal, though he wouldn't talk). He'd be offense, a flanker, he wouldn't use guns. He'd be melee. He'd have a raptor leap as one of his abilities, if you land it on someone you stun them and can chomp down on them. I imagine him like mccree or reaper or Roadhog in some circumstances where being caught 1 on 1 with them is basically a death sentence, but surrounded he'd be incredibly weak. He'd be good for like going after Mercy and stuff like that. His other ability might be a really really fast dash similar to S76's but I dunno how you'd make that different so it doesn't just feel like you're reusing an ability. His regular attack would be like a chomp or something idk. I have no idea how you'd make this character first person if his attacks are with his head. His ult would be opening up a time portal and a T-Rex would come out and you'd leap on the t-rex and you'd control that for a short period of time or until the t-rex is killed. He'd be like Winston's ult or anyone Ana powers up where he'd be a really powerful beast. But he'd still be susceptible to things like Junkrat's trap, Symm's turrets, Mei freezing him, etc. Maybe some gimmick where like if the enemy stands still you won't be able to see them. Which keeps them safe from you but wouldn't keep them safe from your team. That'd be probably be too strong idk. I just thought all this up right now, I just want a raptor