Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Is there a way to get a Google now card that will show updates on my Amazon orders? Just switched from an iPhone and I miss having the Amazon widget thing that showed me my order statuses.

It does that for me automatically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Is there a way to get a Google now card that will show updates on my Amazon orders? Just switched from an iPhone and I miss having the Amazon widget thing that showed me my order statuses.

Like CLAM DOWN's posts imply, Google Now will automatically generate order and shipment reports for at least Amazon and probably other services if they're set to your Gmail address.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm already dissatisfied with Google and I haven't gotten my Pixel yet. I ordered a blue one two days ago since it would be here today with expedited shipping. All other colors were 5 weeks out. I checked my email today and it hasn't even been processed yet. I called support and their answer was "you can wait until 12 am tonight, if it isn't there you can call back to cancel and re order"

What the gently caress is that poo poo? Sounds like a lame way to kick me to the end of the line if they don't have any phones. Just loving send the god drat thing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Blue Train posted:

E: like some of the stuff it's meant to do can't be done using SMS or MMS

Is scraping your texts for keywords to sell to targeted advertisers one of the things it can't do with those?

Cause as a non-technical cynic, that's the only reason I can think of where they'd want people to not use a phone number based sms/mms system.
And I'm pretty sure they could do it anyway.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

Like CLAM DOWN's posts imply, Google Now will automatically generate order and shipment reports for at least Amazon and probably other services if they're set to your Gmail address.

Does it work with just GMail accounts or any e-mail account you have syncing to your GMail app?

One thing I like about Cortana is how it seems to scrape all my e-mails in my Outlook E-mail app and gets my shipments through that as well as flight details and all the other stuff, same as google in that case.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

dont be mean to me posted:

I don't use my gmail for my Amazon account so that explains it.

Also Galaxy S7 Edge, is there a way to make the screen turn on when you pick up the phone? I really miss that on my iPhone.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Does it work with just GMail accounts or any e-mail account you have syncing to your GMail app?

One thing I like about Cortana is how it seems to scrape all my e-mails in my Outlook E-mail app and gets my shipments through that as well as flight details and all the other stuff, same as google in that case.
Pretty sure GNow does the work server side.

Also doesn't work with google apps (custom domain) accounts. :argh:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Also Galaxy S7 Edge, is there a way to make the screen turn on when you pick up the phone? I really miss that on my iPhone.

The always-on display kinda takes care of that, no?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

nimper posted:

Eh not really. If I see I have a notification I still have to press the button to bring up the lock screen. I like having the lock screen appear just bypicking up my phone. But I found an app that does it so I'm good.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tiny Lowtax posted:

The Amazon app will (optionally) send you notifications when your stuff ships/is delivered

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

nimper posted:

Not really, but in the Nougat version, it supports notifications from more apps and you can even double tap the icons to open the app. It's actually somewhat useful now.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Protocol7 posted:

Not really, but in the Nougat version, it supports notifications from more apps and you can even double tap the icons to open the app. It's actually somewhat useful now.

Yeah that's how it worked on my Note 7 :rip:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

chippy posted:

Any way of speeding up the process of getting Assistant? Does being in the Play Services beta help, or hinder? Or neither?

e: Nexus 6P on latest non-beta Android in the UK, if it makes any difference.
I'm in the beta but haven't received Assistant yet, no idea how they're rolling it out.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm already dissatisfied with Google and I haven't gotten my Pixel yet. I ordered a blue one two days ago since it would be here today with expedited shipping. All other colors were 5 weeks out. I checked my email today and it hasn't even been processed yet. I called support and their answer was "you can wait until 12 am tonight, if it isn't there you can call back to cancel and re order"

What the gently caress is that poo poo? Sounds like a lame way to kick me to the end of the line if they don't have any phones. Just loving send the god drat thing.
I don't have an answer but I'm not sure if anyone in the history of the Google Store has received a phone within two days of ordering.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

datajosh posted:

I'm in the beta but haven't received Assistant yet, no idea how they're rolling it out.

I don't have an answer but I'm not sure if anyone in the history of the Google Store has received a phone within two days of ordering.

Well then they shouldnt put estimates of delivery on their poo poo. Especially in an Amazon world.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Well then they shouldnt put estimates of delivery on their poo poo. Especially in an Amazon world.

Yeah, everyone agrees Google is terrible at this.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What exactly did the estimate say?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
In February 2016 I got my Nexus 6p through Fi:

Ordered on the 9th
Shipping notice recieved on the 10th
Departed FedEx in Chicago 11th
Delivered to my home in Los Angeles on the 16th

Suits my needs.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ilkhan posted:

What exactly did the estimate say?

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, everyone agrees Google is terrible at this.

Smythe posted:

In February 2016 I got my Nexus 6p through Fi:

Ordered on the 9th
Shipping notice recieved on the 10th
Departed FedEx in Chicago 11th
Delivered to my home in Los Angeles on the 16th

Suits my needs.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't get stuck in a glitch or something. If this is the way it is, I guess I just have to wait. This was ordered on the 7th with expedited processing/shipping that listed the following date:

I'll have to ask my my expedited shipping money back. Normally I wouldn't give a poo poo but the screen on my current phone is de laminating and its getting in the way of usability.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
how appropriate that the order confirmation is a Blue Screen

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there a new Play Services update or something? My phone's burning through battery again for no drat reason, and it persists through reboots. "Android System" again.

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

I'm thinking of buying a Moto G4 to replace my Samsung on5, particularly because my on5 barely has any space and is slow as gently caress and because the G4 will apparently update to nougat. Worth it? And any thoughts about whether the Moto G4 Plus is any better other than having the fingerprint scanner?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Reflections85 posted:

I'm thinking of buying a Moto G4 to replace my Samsung on5, particularly because my on5 barely has any space and is slow as gently caress and because the G4 will apparently update to nougat. Worth it? And any thoughts about whether the Moto G4 Plus is any better other than having the fingerprint scanner?

Fingerprint scanner should be reason enough in my opinion.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The G5 Plus is just around the corner and it's shaping up to rule everything below the Pixel line for the price.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Reflections85 posted:

The G5 is out in about 3 weeks

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
For anyone in the UK, the Pixel is on mobiles.co.uk (a reseller owned by Dixon's Carphone) with a good deal for the next few days or so. I just pulled the trigger on it after wanting a pixel for months and months.

25 upfront / 32 per month
Vodafone Pixel 32gb
Unlimited calls/texts,
24gb data

There's also a voucher code (VC15OFF) for 15 off upfront. The total comes out at something like 780 over two years, not bad when the phone is like 600.

Disclaimer: I've not received my phone or started the contract yet, its entirely possible that the reseller is shady as gently caress, but they seemed legit from reviews etc.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
And if people weren't already aware of this, everyone, everywhere can now buy hardware directly from the Google Store with the only limitation that the goods can only be sent to an address in the specific country where the store is located.

This is officially intended to be used as a way of gifting hardware to people in other countries, but you can of course just get it sent to a parcel/mail forwarding address or a friend that can forward it to you as a gift (good for avoiding import tax).

So for all of us in the EU outside of the UK and Germany, we can finally buy a Pixel directly from Google and not through some shady parallel import shop.

I ordered a 5" Pixel 32 GB on Thursday evening, it was picked up by DHL on Friday and is currently on its way to the German forwarder to be sent to Denmark. It was paid for using my Danish credit card, registered to my Google account with a Danish billing address. Only thing out of the ordinary was using a different delivery address.
A coworker did the same thing last weekend, using the same forwarder, and received his new Pixel yesterday.

Only problem is, all 128 GB versions are out of stock in both the UK and Germany. Pixel XL in the UK is also currently out of stock.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
The Honor 8 is on sale at Newegg today with a bunch of free stuff, and with my S4 dying at the worst possible time I'm considering it. How fast is the camera?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

So can Android not play music over USB in vehicles? I have a 2015 Focus with the big navigation radio. My iPhone plugged in and played music no problem, displaying album art and everything. Plugged in my S7 Edge today and the radio didn't even recognize it was plugged in. It charged, but when I chose USB input it said no device detected.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The head unit has to support android, the phone is capable of doing it

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a new Play Services update or something? My phone's burning through battery again for no drat reason, and it persists through reboots. "Android System" again.

Same on my new (used) 6P. Moving to the 7.1.2 beta didn't help and neither did upgrading Play Services to 10.2.99 (some people on reddit were saying this version fixed the issue). Don't know what else to try.

How are wakelocks still a thing? Even my previous phone, a LG G3 running Cyanogen Lineage of all things, didn't have these problems.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I saw this "My Android" https://www.android.com/myandroid/ linked today and tried it out for giggles.

You answer a bunch of quick questions and then it recommends​ a wallpaper, theme, icons, and keyboard.

I figured why not, I haven't used any themes or anything in years since I stopped Rooting. Now though I'm getting really :tinfoil: because i can actually see the permissions this stuff requests. I'm sure it's all on the up and up and that Google themselves wouldn't recommend a shady launcher or icon pack but is there something I should be on the lookout for?

Trying out SmartLauncher ( flower layout looks neat ) and Lines icons/themes.

I'm not looking for features really just something that looks cool/different but won't steal all my personal data. :smith:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

TollTheHounds posted:

I saw this "My Android" https://www.android.com/myandroid/ linked today and tried it out for giggles.

You answer a bunch of quick questions and then it recommends​ a wallpaper, theme, icons, and keyboard.

I figured why not, I haven't used any themes or anything in years since I stopped Rooting. Now though I'm getting really :tinfoil: because i can actually see the permissions this stuff requests. I'm sure it's all on the up and up and that Google themselves wouldn't recommend a shady launcher or icon pack but is there something I should be on the lookout for?

Trying out SmartLauncher ( flower layout looks neat ) and Lines icons/themes.

I'm not looking for features really just something that looks cool/different but won't steal all my personal data. :smith:

Are there specific permissions you are worried about? But no, you are definitely overreacting to innocuous permissions. Anyway, Google has all your personal data already.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I used smart launcher for a while, it's good

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hmm, I tried it on mobile Firefox and after tapping the "take the test" button I got this (last line was on a button):

[[ ctrl.content.headline ]]

[[ ctrl.content.description ]]
[[ ctrl.content.cta ]]

What the gently caress? I know only a little about web-dev, being mostly a back-end Java guy, so I don't even know what went wrong here.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

hooah posted:

Hmm, I tried it on mobile Firefox and after tapping the "take the test" button I got this (last line was on a button):

[[ ctrl.content.headline ]]

[[ ctrl.content.description ]]
[[ ctrl.content.cta ]]

What the gently caress? I know only a little about web-dev, being mostly a back-end Java guy, so I don't even know what went wrong here.

Got the same on Chrome desktop. Worked fine in Edge though!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bryter posted:

Got the same on Chrome desktop. Worked fine in Edge though!

That's our Google! *laughtrack*

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

My Pixel has had noticeably worse battery life recently

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Blue Train posted:

The head unit has to support android, the phone is capable of doing it

So a high end radio made a year ago only supports iPhone over USB and not android? That doesn't seem right.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So a high end radio made a year ago only supports iPhone over USB and not android? That doesn't seem right.

Does it sound right that a mature operating system on a high end phone can't play music over USB? Do you have ford sync? Because if you google it that poo poo don't work right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tiny Lowtax posted:

No, it's definitely not right in a "get your poo poo together tech companies" sense, but it's definitely right in a "this is the reality we live in" sense.