Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Right. I disagree with the notion that religion is a mental illness or ought to be treated as such, mind.

What would you call believing things that aren't real, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Avalerion posted:

Well, provide your disproof of the concept of religion. Tell you what, I'll even leave out the Church of Positivism and LaVeyan Satanism for you.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

We don't have to make it about religion - hopefully I don't have to prove Hogwarts isn't real, we can just accept that it obviously isn't, right? How would you classify someone's belief that Hogwarts is real?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Avalerion posted:

We don't have to make it about religion - hopefully I don't have to prove Hogwarts isn't real, we can just accept that it obviously isn't, right? How would you classify someone's belief that Hogwarts is real?

Go ask Max Tegmark.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Avalerion posted:

You can't say they aren't real, just that they aren't rational positions. And being irrational isn't an illness, that's the default human response.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Who What Now posted:

You can't say they aren't real, just that they aren't rational positions. And being irrational isn't an illness, that's the default human response.

I did call them delusions instead, for the record. And yea I myself brought up that this is in no way limited to religion so no argument there. :)

That said, why can't I say god isn't real in the same way I would say horoscopes/hogwarts etc aren't real? Or are you saying I shouldn't be saying the later either?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Avalerion posted:

I did call them delusions instead, for the record. And yea I myself brought up that this is in no way limited to religion so no argument there. :)

That said, why can't I say god isn't real in the same way I would say horoscopes/hogwarts etc aren't real? Or are you saying I shouldn't be saying the later either?

Nobody is telling you you can't be an atheist. I am telling you that if you want to claim religion is false you need to have proof. Just like you could claim astrology is inaccurate by proving that it relies on false positives and vagueness of horoscopes to get results, but just insisting astrology is inaccurate does not constitute such proof.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Avalerion posted:

You can absolutely say god isn't real, it's just that saying so is a positive claim and so puts the burden of proof onto you. So if you're going to say it then you shouldn't be shocked when you're asked to prove it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

religion is false you need to have proof. Just like you could claim astrology is inaccurate by proving that it relies on false positives and vagueness of horoscopes to get results, but just insisting astrology is inaccurate does not constitute such proof.
"religion is false" is a category error.

Ok. The claims of young earth creationism clash with human knowledge on many points, and on every single one, YECs are wrong. For example, young earth creationists believe the earth is a few 1000 years old. A vast array of evidence indicates it is much older. Not only are the claims of YEC false, YE creationists are actively engaged in spreading falsehoods.

Also did you get my explanation of why I don't believe in your claim that if you think believers are wrong, you're still not obliged to "cure" them of their delusions?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm not going to try disprove "religion" because I think people much better equipped to do that have already argued the point convincingly countless times before me.

I don't understand why assuming something isn't real unless proven otherwise should not be default position? Especially if being unprovable is often conveniently a trait attributed to the thing I'm being asked to disprove. I get that you are arguing that the sensible thing would be to remain agnostic, but by that argument should I also be agnostic about the already mentioned Hogwards exists statement, which seems... silly to even consider?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Avalerion posted:

I'm not going to try disprove "religion" because I think people much better equipped to do that have already argued the point convincingly countless times before me.

I don't understand why assuming something isn't real unless proven otherwise should not be default position? Especially if being unprovable is often conveniently a trait attributed to the thing I'm being asked to disprove. I get that you are arguing that the sensible thing would be to remain agnostic, but by that argument should I also be agnostic about the already mentioned Hogwards exists statement, which seems... silly to even consider?

We're trying to explain to you the difference between believing something isn't real or true and claiming to know something it's real or true. One of those claims requires a lot more rigor to support; can you guess which one?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Who What Now posted:

We're trying to explain to you the difference between believing something isn't real or true and claiming to know something it's real or true. One of those claims requires a lot more rigor to support; can you guess which one?
I think everyone understands the difference, the question is how much is "a lot more" contextually. Like the amount of rigor someone needs to believe Hogwarts isn't real versus claiming to know Hogwarts isn't real is basically identical to me. The amount of rigor someone needs to believe dark matter is WIMPs versus claiming to know dark matter is WIMPs would be very different.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand why you're using belief in the material reality of an expressly fictional artifact as equated with religion, except as an unsubtle slander against religion.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It sounds like the thread is headed down a sort of positivist track, where one should be a default agnostic through never even beginning to ask the question of if there is or isn't a god, as all present claims either way are evidently nonsensical.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

It sounds like the thread is headed down a sort of positivist track, where one should be a default agnostic through never even beginning to ask the question of if there is or isn't a god, as all present claims either way are evidently nonsensical.

No? I am arguing against the use of science as a knock-down argument. There are plenty of good philosophical arguments for atheism, but alas, they don't involve a line to an absolute truth from which to stand on and hurl insults, and mostly offer doubt and some humility, so it's not surprising fans of Sam Harris are unaware of their existence.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Avalerion posted:

It's not that the unproven can't​ be held in question (though the idea that only provable things may be real is a whole other bag of worms), it's more your second point: what types of evidence we are permitted to consider against what kinds of claims are being made. The existence of Hogwarts, or of witches, or Russell's teapot, is ultimately one of things in the world, and we can examine material reality to determine whether these things may be real. The reason the existence of God isn't subject to this kind of evidence is God is not a being, not a thing in the world. In this sense God does not exist. Because science concerns material it can't investigate God as God, as there's no god that can be tested.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

I don't understand why you're using belief in the material reality of an expressly fictional artifact as equated with religion, except as an unsubtle slander against religion.

At their root most modern religions derives their claims about the universe from logic that goes something like: It's in the Vedas. The Vedas are given to us from the heavens, and so it must be true. All one needs to establish Faith in the Harry Potter universe is to develop the premise that the novels are divine truth, and the express intent for the material to be fictional becomes irrelevant. This kind of innovation occurs not infrequently, see the way some American Protestant movements treat the KJB or some modern people have begun to behave as if zombie apocalypses or Mad Max represent a real potential.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bolocko posted:

Because science concerns material it can't investigate God as God, as there's no god that can be tested.

Not necessarily. An intercessory God could potentially be tested.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Avalerion posted:

You're stepping in the poo poo. Do not let Brainiac put you in the position of trying to prove the negative of an unfalsifiable belief.

Between this and the claims of hypocrisy whenever someone won't take their argument to the extremes that Brainiac desires for purposes of taking potshots at strawmen, I figured it was pretty obvious that they're just trolling by now.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

At their root most modern religions derives their claims about the universe from logic that goes something like: It's in the Vedas. The Vedas are given to us from the heavens, and so it must be true. All one needs to establish Faith in the Harry Potter universe is to develop the premise that the novels are divine truth, and the express intent for the material to be fictional becomes irrelevant. This kind of innovation occurs not infrequently, see the way some American Protestant movements treat the KJB or some modern people have begun to behave as if zombie apocalypses or Mad Max represent a real potential.

This is certainly an argument made in good faith and not just a gussied-up "get owned, godhavers".

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

You're stepping in the poo poo. Do not let Brainiac put you in the position of trying to prove the negative of an unfalsifiable belief.

Between this and the claims of hypocrisy whenever someone won't take their argument to the extremes that Brainiac desires for purposes of taking potshots at strawmen, I figured it was pretty obvious that they're just trolling by now.

Yea, probably. Though I heard similar arguments from actually religious people who I'm positive were genuine and not trolling too, so some benefit of doubt was given.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Falsifiability is pretty outdated philosophy of science and explicitly doesn't render a verdict on truthfulness.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Not necessarily. An intercessory God could potentially be tested.

Depending on the proposed action of intercession we could test certain types of claims about God's activity, not God's existence.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Avalerion posted:

What's silly about it? It's very difficult to categorically prove with evidence that something doesn't exist.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Virtually every other post is about how the religious are mentally defective, but punching back is "trolling". Uh huh.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

This is certainly an argument made in good faith and not just a gussied-up "get owned, godhavers".

It's something many religious people will say repeatedly, it's no secret Christianity is founded on the Bible. Of course there are many religious traditions with no texts, their practitioners typically appeal to tradition as a justification.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Bolocko posted:

Depending on the proposed action of intercession we could test certain types of claims about God's activity, not God's existence.
You could test for existence given certain definitions of an intercessory God. Like if I say "I'm holding an intangible clock that makes audible beeping noises at noon", if there's no beeping at noon, we know there's no intangible clock that beeps at noon. Religious people aren't usually interested in constructing definitions that rigorous, but it's at least in principle possible.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

It's something many religious people will say repeatedly, it's no secret Christianity is founded on the Bible. Of course there are many religious traditions with no texts, their practitioners typically appeal to tradition as a justification.

This certainly is an argument made in good faith, (or should I say Faith, like we're loving Germans) and not just a gussied-up way to say "get owned, godhavers".

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

I think for most people it should be sufficient to say:
- very often, religions make general claims about the material world
- these often conflict with scientific claims
- science is almost always the winner in these situations

Brainiac Five posted:

Virtually every other post is about how the religious are mentally defective
Yes: your posts.

Brainiac Five posted:

Falsifiability is pretty outdated philosophy of science
Not really. E.g., the LIGO gravitational wave discovery was conducted in a strongly Popperian spirit.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

I think for most people it should be sufficient to say:
- very often, religions make general claims about the material world
- these often conflict with scientific claims
- science is almost always the winner in these situations

Yes: your posts.

Not really. E.g., the LIGO gravitational wave discovery was conducted in a strongly Popperian spirit.

Falsifiability in the sense of "all that is scientific is Popperian" is pretty outdated philosophy of science.

Anyways, it's funny how your insults are "helpful" but mine aren't.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

What's silly about it? It's very difficult to categorically prove with evidence that something doesn't exist.

It's silly to argue that since we can't prove Hogwarts isn't real, we should remain agnostic rather than just saying of course it's not real. :downs:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So how much does the intellectual inferiority of being religious extend? Is any atheist a better thinker and scientist than Stephen Jay Gould?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Avalerion posted:

It's silly to argue that since we can't prove Hogwarts isn't real, we should remain agnostic rather than just saying of course it's not real. :downs:

Why? If we don't have evidence to suggest that something isn't real, what basis do we have for making that statement?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You misunderstand. None of the positive things you mentioned - love, poetry, hope & sentiment - have any foundation in archaic beliefs. They are, and always will be, constants of human desire and motivations. Same with curiosity or experimentation, the desire to explore. So long as people live, they're going to try to push the boundaries of what they can do.

The mistake is thinking you need mythology or mysticism to do any of that. You don't. You just have to acknowledge the difference between imagination and reality, and be willing to come to terms with that. Imagination is a critical part of human consciousness, as is dreaming, so it should be encouraged. But visions of the future don't have unlimited degree of freedom. If they are to ever become realized, they must have a factual foundation. Ignoring that is immaturity, childishness.

Your other error is thinking collective action can be constrained. It can't. The destruction of collective action through religion will create a new vector of collective action, as class consciousness replaces religious consciousness.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

your insults
What? What insult?

Brainiac Five posted:

"all that is scientific is Popperian"
I'm not sure what that means. I guess a lot of members of the scientific community are not engaged in falsifiable science. Still, as a normative concept, I think it's very much alive.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

This certainly is an argument made in good faith, (or should I say Faith, like we're loving Germans) and not just a gussied-up way to say "get owned, godhavers".

Brainiac Five posted:

Instead of attacking my intentions why don't you defend the argument I was responding to? There's no reason to believe authorial intent should be assumed to have any relevance to faith in a text, the way the KJV is used is ample proof of that.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

What? What insult?

I'm not sure what that means. I guess a lot of members of the scientific community are not engaged in falsifiable science. Still, as a normative concept, I think it's very much alive.

In terms of philosophy of science, that is the loving discipline, as opposed to scientists themselves, who often wear suspenders for christ's sakes, falsifiability as the basis for all science is well out of date.

Squalid posted:

Instead of attacking my intentions why don't you defend the argument I was responding to? There's no reason to believe authorial intent should be assumed to have any relevance to faith in a text, the way the KJV is used is ample proof of that.

No thank you, I have no intention of slamming my foot on top of a landmine just because you're asking me to. Hell, your incompetence at using the quote function has somehow made me less likely to do so.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

In terms of philosophy of science, that is the loving discipline, as opposed to scientists themselves, who often wear suspenders for christ's sakes, falsifiability as the basis for all science is well out of date.
It is correct that Die Logik der Forschung was published a good many years ago. I'm not so sure what that does for us here though?

What insult? Where did I insult you?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

It is correct that Die Logik der Forschung was published a good many years ago. I'm not so sure what that does for us here though?

What insult? Where did I insult you?

Hmm, verrrry dishonest of you to pretend I meant chronological age rather than being outdated as an understanding of philosophy of science.

Your posts are an insult to your parents and to anyone with eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

Hmm, verrrry dishonest of you to pretend I meant chronological age rather than being outdated as an understanding of philosophy of science.

Your posts are an insult to your parents and to anyone with eyes.
I will phrase it in another way.
It is true critical rationalism is old, and it is not a particularly active topic. I don't however see how that is relevant.

How did I insult you? You said I insulted you. It was probably a misunderstanding.

• Locked thread