Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
e: nevermind, misremembered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Director went through one too many meetings where she was asked about our social media presence and she had to say "i don't know". We had a all-supervisors meeting about our social media policy (we don't have one) and what we're going to do from here on out

I now have "Social media security manager" added to my list of duties :rolleyes:

Putting that S+ to use already

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Director went through one too many meetings where she was asked about our social media presence and she had to say "i don't know". We had a all-supervisors meeting about our social media policy (we don't have one) and what we're going to do from here on out

I now have "Social media security manager" added to my list of duties :rolleyes:

Putting that S+ to use already

All of our Social Media stuff is handled by marketing and I couldn't be happier.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Fool posted:

All of our Social Media stuff is handled by marketing and I couldn't be happier.

But.. social media.. uses computers.. isn't that IT's job

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mewse posted:

But.. social media.. uses computers.. isn't that IT's job

All of the printers are maintained by facilities.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mewse posted:

The best part about killernic was their rev 2 that was an atheros chip with mangled vendor id/device id

These are still a thing in gaming laptops. They've even expanded the Killer branding to wireless cards.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

wolrah posted:

I think you might be thinking about KillerNIC, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out someone else did the same gimmick in the enterprise space.

Yup this was it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

At one point I had four 14-port USB hubs daisy chained off of each other in my prod environment.

There was a fun circumstance that would suddenly cause everything plugged into the hub to suddenly draw electricity via USB rather than a normal power cable.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

Yup this was it.

I tried to order my Dell XPS 13 with a 'normal' NIC but had to have a 'Killer' one for some reason.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I tried to order my Dell XPS 13 with a 'normal' NIC but had to have a 'Killer' one for some reason.

On the plus side, as noted modern Killer NICs are just Atheros with idiotic "gamer" drivers so I'm pretty sure you can just install the plain Atheros drivers.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 9, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our department head thinks that investment in training means a few CBT nuggets subscriptions that people have to share, and that they are going to tie completing courses to KPIs for appraisals. They also think that it's OK to insist that people complete the courses in their own time since the company isn't going to give people some slack in their schedules to get them done. My response was pretty much :laffo:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Our department head thinks that investment in training means a few CBT nuggets subscriptions that people have to share, and that they are going to tie completing courses to KPIs for appraisals. They also think that it's OK to insist that people complete the courses in their own time since the company isn't going to give people some slack in their schedules to get them done. My response was pretty much :laffo:

Nothing like measuring your time spent outside of work for raises at work. Seems sound.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Wait... do we work together?

We all share one account which is hilarious. Come raise time I think I'm just going to print off all the completed courses (completed by our team as a whole) and hand that to them in an envelope marked "Did I do enough training?"

I've already explained on many levels about how 9 people sharing one account is bad. Maybe they'll finally understand when I use it as leverage.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 9, 2017

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

wolrah posted:

These are still a thing in gaming laptops. They've even expanded the Killer branding to wireless cards.

I have one in my older gaming motherboard. :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I lost my 2nd desktop person this week to another gig, which is normal thing. He left early in his 2 week notice without talking to me first which was surprising but not totally unexpected.

Our last day together I took him to lunch and let him tell me how much better his new gig with health care was and how much more interesting health care IT at a hospital is. I didn't want to burst his bubble so prematurely.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It seems a bit close to bridge burning to talk up a new role as you're leaving the current one.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

It seems a bit close to bridge burning to talk up a new role as you're leaving the current one.

Nah, depends on your relationship. Since Sickening took the guy out to lunch, it sounds like they were at least friendly.

Not like he was loudly bragging about it in a common room to all of his coworkers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

Nah, depends on your relationship. Since Sickening took the guy out to lunch, it sounds like they were at least friendly.

Not like he was loudly bragging about it in a common room to all of his coworkers.

Basically. I have never aspired to be the boss that is petty and that you can't talk to. I am not going to fire person or resent them for looking forward to a new gig. I just found it humorous that he was so certain that health care IT was going to be so interesting.

All of you that work/worked in healthcare know what i am talking about.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

Basically. I have never aspired to be the boss that is petty and that you can't talk to. I am not going to fire person or resent them for looking forward to a new gig. I just found it humorous that he was so certain that health care IT was going to be so interesting.

All of you that work/worked in healthcare know what i am talking about.

That poor bastard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

That poor bastard.

His new boss signed him up for weekend classes for HIPAA on the weekends as they were required for some reason before he started work there. He failed to tell him that the classes were from 11pm to 1am. Yes, his new boss signed him up for weekend classes in the middle of the night before he started working there.

I cried a little inside.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Glad to see he's starting off as he means to go on :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

His new boss signed him up for weekend classes for HIPAA on the weekends as they were required for some reason before he started work there. He failed to tell him that the classes were from 11pm to 1am. Yes, his new boss signed him up for weekend classes in the middle of the night before he started working there.

I cried a little inside.

Sounds like your guy uses the same definition of interesting as the Chinese.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

MF_James posted:

Were Extreme Networks the guys that had the super expensive NICs in the late 90s/early 2000s that had their own processor or something like that?

You mock, I think, but there is a legitimate use for NICs with onboard processors.

In high speed networks the use of TCP Offload Engine (TOE) enabled cards helps shift the burden of TCP header processing to the card and away from the CPU. Very handy in 10-gig networks and some iSCSI applications.

But on the desktop or a laptop? Hah.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sickening posted:

I lost my 2nd desktop person this week to another gig, which is normal thing. He left early in his 2 week notice without talking to me first which was surprising but not totally unexpected.

Our last day together I took him to lunch and let him tell me how much better his new gig with health care was and how much more interesting health care IT at a hospital is. I didn't want to burst his bubble so prematurely.

"Do you know what a speculum bucket is? No? Just curious."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

Sounds like your guy uses the same definition of interesting as the Chinese.

Eh, the desktop folks at my company have a pretty cushy gig for it being entry level compared to pretty much ever company I heard of. Most of the people we have had got to skip the call centers, the contract work, the punch clocks, and all the other bullshit you see with entry level IT stuff. So far so few have recognized how poo poo other companies can be. I just wish I could offer them a better growth plan in our company.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Paladine_PSoT posted:

"Do you know what a speculum bucket is? No? Just curious."

:barf:

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Sickening posted:

Eh, the desktop folks at my company have a pretty cushy gig for it being entry level compared to pretty much ever company I heard of. Most of the people we have had got to skip the call centers, the contract work, the punch clocks, and all the other bullshit you see with entry level IT stuff. So far so few have recognized how poo poo other companies can be. I just wish I could offer them a better growth plan in our company.

Mind me asking what part of the world you're in?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Nards Pan posted:

Mind me asking what part of the world you're in?

Texas.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Agrikk posted:

You mock, I think, but there is a legitimate use for NICs with onboard processors.

In high speed networks the use of TCP Offload Engine (TOE) enabled cards helps shift the burden of TCP header processing to the card and away from the CPU. Very handy in 10-gig networks and some iSCSI applications.

But on the desktop or a laptop? Hah.

Oh I was not mocking for legit uses, in actuality, back when the KillerNIC was a thing (or I guess started to be a thing) it was also super useful because you had P2s and P3s, offloading the load to the NIC and away from your CPU was a godsend, especially for people that were online gaming and had broadband! I doubt there's much use for them in a consumer machine today, even a gaming machine, unless you're trying to squeeze life out of an old processor/mobo/RAM, but at that point are you really playing games that require it anyway?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MF_James posted:

Oh I was not mocking for legit uses, in actuality, back when the KillerNIC was a thing (or I guess started to be a thing) it was also super useful because you had P2s and P3s, offloading the load to the NIC and away from your CPU was a godsend, especially for people that were online gaming and had broadband! I doubt there's much use for them in a consumer machine today, even a gaming machine, unless you're trying to squeeze life out of an old processor/mobo/RAM, but at that point are you really playing games that require it anyway?

Nah KillerNIC in particular was always kind of a scam. Higher end network cards had been providing offload of connection processing needs for a while, especially on 100 megabit supporting cards. Plus, the KillerNIC didn't come out until 2006 when Pentium 2 and 3 systems were rather long in the tooth.

KillerNIC's gimmick was that they put a PowerPC 603-based CPU on the card and had it run a full embedded Linux system with 64 MB of RAM of its own (you would remember the PowerPC 603 as the line of chips used in the first PowerPC Macintoshes) which could run various programs at the same time as doing more standard TCP offload and other network offload operations.

Ultimately what it would be "good" for in terms of extra network offload compared to more normal cards would be if you were playing networked games on a computer that was really too old to be playing it. You would get a few extra FPS in those, but you should probably have spent your nearly $300 on more RAM, a faster processor, or faster GPU instead. The KillerNIC's ability to run arbitrary applications, however, was useful if you wanted a low power Linux machine, especially for things that needed networking like hosting a NAS using the USB port for storage, or torrenting while your PC was in a low power mode (depending on how your machine was set up).

MF_James
May 8, 2008

fishmech posted:

Nah KillerNIC in particular was always kind of a scam. Higher end network cards had been providing offload of connection processing needs for a while, especially on 100 megabit supporting cards. Plus, the KillerNIC didn't come out until 2006 when Pentium 2 and 3 systems were rather long in the tooth.

KillerNIC's gimmick was that they put a PowerPC 603-based CPU on the card and had it run a full embedded Linux system with 64 MB of RAM of its own (you would remember the PowerPC 603 as the line of chips used in the first PowerPC Macintoshes) which could run various programs at the same time as doing more standard TCP offload and other network offload operations.

Ultimately what it would be "good" for in terms of extra network offload compared to more normal cards would be if you were playing networked games on a computer that was really too old to be playing it. You would get a few extra FPS in those, but you should probably have spent your nearly $300 on more RAM, a faster processor, or faster GPU instead. The KillerNIC's ability to run arbitrary applications, however, was useful if you wanted a low power Linux machine, especially for things that needed networking like hosting a NAS using the USB port for storage, or torrenting while your PC was in a low power mode (depending on how your machine was set up).

Shiiit I thought they came out wayyyy earlier.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
There are still legit use cases that require :rice: NICs like Solarflare cards, like instances where you need ultra-low latency or really good throughput for lots of really tiny packets.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

cheque_some posted:

There are still legit use cases that require :rice: NICs like Solarflare cards, like instances where you need ultra-low latency or really good throughput for lots of really tiny packets.
Once you get to ultra low-latency, the main features of interest are RDMA, kernel bypass, and user-space TCP stacks. Throughput's a lot easier to improve without messing with a lot.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MF_James posted:

Shiiit I thought they came out wayyyy earlier.

You're probably thinking of when cards with normal network offload became widely available in the late 90s then. They could definitely make a huge difference on fast LANs/connections.

They initially had a bit of a price premium, but nowhere near Killer NIC level.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sickening posted:

Hope he likes getting woken up at 5am on a Saturday to go replace a super critical important mouse. And then a printer that's one of five on that floor but 1. They don't want to walk 2. The system is too inflexible to transfer the print queues.

Also a VDI and Citrix solution that's been flimsy since day one four years ago, that goes down every week, and management is content to just make desktop reset the problems away

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Hope he likes getting woken up at 5am on a Saturday to go replace a super critical important mouse. And then a printer that's one of five on that floor but 1. They don't want to walk 2. The system is too inflexible to transfer the print queues.

Also a VDI and Citrix solution that's been flimsy since day one four years ago, that goes down every week, and management is content to just make desktop reset the problems away

Mine was an RDP connection to the lovely EMR the vendor could barely support instead of Citrix, but yeah this.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My referral to our NOC just got fired :(

He has a second job that he said he would quit if we gave him two weeks off at the of March to wrap things up there. He kept asking for days off to go work there instead which, for some reason, my boss kept approving. Yesterday he did it again despite not being approved so they let him go.

Sucks for him, he had a career possibility here as he was surrounded by actual engineers instead of putting him in the NOC room, now he has to stay at the place with no job growth. He only works there seasonally and only has the job because his mom is the manager :/

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sepist posted:

My referral to our NOC just got fired :(

He has a second job that he said he would quit if we gave him two weeks off at the of March to wrap things up there. He kept asking for days off to go work there instead which, for some reason, my boss kept approving. Yesterday he did it again despite not being approved so they let him go.

Sucks for him, he had a career possibility here as he was surrounded by actual engineers instead of putting him in the NOC room, now he has to stay at the place with no job growth. He only works there seasonally and only has the job because his mom is the manager :/

Friends are idiots. I have gotten 2 friends jobs, first friend got promoted to our T2 group within 6 months and was generally doing really well and learning/putting forth effort, now he's a lazy poo poo that refuses to work on a bunch of poo poo because he doesn't feel like using his brain to learn more stuff. He's still a decent employee but is apparently content with digging himself into a foxhole and staying there. The other friend got fired within 3 weeks for disappearing and calling off multiple days, found out he has a heroin problem and his wife just left him.

Not getting friends jobs anymore.

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

I broke my multi-year lurking status recently to post a job in the Job Fair thread and really hoping to find someone to join me on the IT team here. Check out the listing and feel free to message me..I'd love to find someone who wants to live the startup life and help me build out this team!

Sorry if this seems like an advertisement post! It's not! I read the IT and the ticket thread daily :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Don't hire friends.

Don't refer friends.