Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The moment the Hobbit films totally lost me was when they were fighting the hordes of goblins, with no sense of threat or that the dwarves were in any danger whatsoever.

It felt like Sucker Punch, where the women are basically indestructible, so you don't get invested because there's no tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

The moment the Hobbit films totally lost me was when they were fighting the hordes of goblins, with no sense of threat or that the dwarves were in any danger whatsoever.

It felt like Sucker Punch, where the women are basically indestructible, so you don't get invested because there's no tension.

Dont forget that terrible fight while in barrels floating down the river. drat that poo poo looked awful.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hobbit was okay.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

JB50 posted:

Dont forget that terrible fight while in barrels floating down the river. drat that poo poo looked awful.

Also don't forget that sweet second long GoPro shot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
King Kong had that ten minute long action scene where King Kong chased some humans, fought two t-rxes, fell off a cliff, got tangled in vines with the t-rexes, had a bungee vine battle with the t-rexes, while at the same time other humans fell into quicksand and had a battle with giant millipedes in the quicksand. It went on for so long it was like a movie endurance test

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

How could something so inherently horrifying and creepy be so laughable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKhVptqZAkg

How are all of those people not dead? What? All those mandibles and chitinous blades and they are huge.

Okay, outside from that kind of argument which of course will just garner 'It's supposed to be a fantastical blah blah blah' on it's own terms it's hokey and laugh inducing in a bad way. An easy comparison is Dead/Alive where it's hokey and laugh inducing in all the right ways, including ways my brain had never thought about before.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm really get a kick out of the fact that my local theater is wasting two screens on The Great Wall to accommodate the 3D version.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nope, I intentionally went out of my way to see it in 2D, 24 FPS AS GOD INTENDED

My girlfriend and a few other friends went to see it in 3D IMAX 48FPS in a BRAND NEW IMAX SCREEN in Dublin. Like this cinema screen had specifically been designed to showcase the Hobbit in iMAX.

Five minutes into the film and... the sound went out of sync for the remainder of the film (all 800 minutes of it). They all thought it looked absolutely poo poo too, with everything so obscenely sharp that it looked like a home-movie. My gf is a massive LOTR fan and said she's never been more disappointed with a cinema experience in her life. I felt the same way but that was more to do with the quality of the movie, it was utter shite anyway so I'm glad I didn't spend nearly €15 on a ticket for it.

Every single number in this post is like something from a bizarre alternate reality

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Are your cinemas not in 24fps? 🤔🤔🤔
I think they're usually 25 in Ireland actually.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Justin Credible posted:

How could something so inherently horrifying and creepy be so laughable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKhVptqZAkg

How are all of those people not dead? What? All those mandibles and chitinous blades and they are huge.

Okay, outside from that kind of argument which of course will just garner 'It's supposed to be a fantastical blah blah blah' on it's own terms it's hokey and laugh inducing in a bad way. An easy comparison is Dead/Alive where it's hokey and laugh inducing in all the right ways, including ways my brain had never thought about before.

It's 5 minutes long, there is almost no music, and the bugs don't even screech when killed. It could have been much better with more suitable sound effects.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
What do you call that thing all movies do these days where everybodies all flying through the air and bouncing around and making impossible jumps and catches and there's always the part where something flies up up up and then falls down and a character (who is also flying through the air or swinging on a vine or something equally insane) reaches up and makes a perfect catch and it goes all slow motion right at that point so you can really enjoy how smooth and unnatural it all is and so you never forget that none of this is actually happening in just a team of animators im front of their computers.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Trunko posted:

What do you call that thing all movies do these days where everybodies all flying through the air and bouncing around and making impossible jumps and catches and there's always the part where something flies up up up and then falls down and a character (who is also flying through the air or swinging on a vine or something equally insane) reaches up and makes a perfect catch and it goes all slow motion right at that point so you can really enjoy how smooth and unnatural it all is and so you never forget that none of this is actually happening in just a team of animators im front of their computers.

stupid bloated videogame bullshit?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Marvel studios

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Peter Jackson was so hell bent on recreating his LotR trilogy success he stretched a short story into three movies, the last of which was bad fanfic.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

Peter Jackson was so hell bent on recreating his LotR trilogy success he stretched a short story into three movies, the last of which was bad fanfic.

Wasnt that more of the studios/execs idea? I thought he didnt even want to do the Hobbit.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's a crime we never got Guillermo del Toro's Hobbit

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

It's 5 minutes long, there is almost no music, and the bugs don't even screech when killed. It could have been much better with more suitable sound effects.

Also, the bugs have no weight. When one is holding onto the dude's neck, it doesn't make impressions in his skin. When the worm thing starts sucking the guy's leg, it doesn't pull on his pants. When the grasshoppers are all over Adrien Brody, it doesn't effect his loose shirt shirt at all. It makes the bugs seem not real. As Mr. Plinkett would say, you might not notice it, but your brain does

And none of them get cuts from the grasshopper legs. If they had gotten little nicks from being clung onto by the grasshoppers, building up over time so they get increasingly bloody and cut up as the scene progresses, that would've created the impression that they were in any sort of actual danger at all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Also, the bugs have no weight. When one is holding onto the dude's neck, it doesn't make impressions in his skin. When the worm thing starts sucking the guy's leg, it doesn't pull on his pants. When the grasshoppers are all over Adrien Brody, it doesn't effect his loose shirt shirt at all. It makes the bugs seem not real. As Mr. Plinkett would say, you might not notice it, but your brain does

And none of them get cuts from the grasshopper legs. If they had gotten little nicks from being clung onto by the grasshoppers, building up over time so they get increasingly bloody and cut up as the scene progresses, that would've created the impression that they were in any sort of actual danger at all.

Yeah. It's like they've forgotten to put all the effects in. I remember watching a pirated pre-release version of one of the Marvel movies, Wolverine something or other, I think, and it had many scenes like that, that just weren't finished.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Yeah. It's like they've forgotten to put all the effects in. I remember watching a pirated pre-release version of one of the Marvel movies, Wolverine something or other, I think, and it had many scenes like that, that just weren't finished.

That sounds like an early cut where they hadn't finished the FX yet. That's pretty typical of any movie.

And why are you talking about :filez:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Paladinus posted:

X-Men: Origins - The Wolverine? They did a HitB on that and how the effects are just shockingly and hilariously bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There was definitely a release of it leaked that had unfinished FX shots.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Yeah it was origins: wolverine. It was amazing. I wish I still had it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Relin posted:

logan has scenes with higher frame rate

isn't that only during the seizure scenes where the whole screen is shaking and hosed up?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

monster on a stick posted:

That sounds like an early cut where they hadn't finished the FX yet. That's pretty typical of any movie.

just lmao @ hushing a guy discussing piracy like some PTSD harry potter character. it's not 2003 anymore, you can talk about big bad movie downloads as long as you arent posting links

Mr. F! posted:

Yeah it was origins: wolverine. It was amazing. I wish I still had it.

I watched a comparison video the other day on youtube, got the point across. it's funny how quaint all the VFX are despite it being used everywhere. The geometry used in the previs is basically what is used in final shots. Nowadays they completely re-do everything and add 20+ layers of particle junk and dust on top of everything. X:o:W was like ok, one dust pass, add some sparks on top, make it 50% opacity so the white highlights turn weird grey....perfect!

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 9, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I liked a lot of things in origins:wolverine. :cool: Especially the credits montage. I wouldn't call it a good film, but it's definitely an enjoyable film for me.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Guys the cops are here

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

monster on a stick posted:

I've seen it at my friend's place. I would never of my own volition pirate a comic book movie. Or watch it in general.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Is rlm high art?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

We Know Catheters posted:

Is rlm high art?

Idk if it is art but im definitely high when im watching it

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Is rlm high art?

Can I get this printed on canvas?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

starkebn posted:

I liked a lot of things in origins:wolverine I wouldn't call it a good film

Me neither buddy!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I want to throw out a thought that movies, unless you make them into franchises, have less and less staying power these days. I know RLM did sort of a segment on something like this years ago, but how many people remember very successful one-off movies, anymore? As Avatar talk gradually vanished and people were forgetting about it, it was seemingly only the talk of stuff like the opening of theme park rides and production of multiple sequels that revived major interest.

It's also part of the reason I think people are giving such a drat about the things like comic book adaptations today and the increased attention, both good and bad, given to them. Since the MCU launched in 2008 and IM2, Thor and Capt. America hinted at getting a shared comic book universe, the release of Avengers cemented it. AoS and Netflix series also gave it extra breathing room to keep running in the off-season when there is no movie getting released. These things will never fully end.

Now that these aren't things that flash into the public consciousness, are the biggest things ever, and then vanish until sequels or lack thereof cause people to lose interest, etc. Now there is a consistent, persistent universe to these films that no matter what happens.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The unfinished VFX version of X-Men Origins: Wolverine was the best X-Men movie.

Getting kicked out of the nuclear silo onto a green screen stage with wires onto big pads was the best part of the movie. Other than N64 cutscene Gambit shattering a falling piece of Debris.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gildiss posted:

Can I get this printed on canvas?

You're gonna wanna have it printed on reclaimed jorts.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Space Crabs posted:

The unfinished VFX version of X-Men Origins: Wolverine was the best X-Men movie.

Getting kicked out of the nuclear silo onto a green screen stage with wires onto big pads was the best part of the movie. Other than N64 cutscene Gambit shattering a falling piece of Debris.

Yeah it was amazing. The greyscale body getting hit by the truck was also amazing

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Is rlm high art?

Yes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Photoshop filters bad, real painting good.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Is rlm high art?

I really hope they sell this on their store

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
For fifty bucks I'll write "Hey Jay lets talk about movies" on a white sheet of canvass.

Who's first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Baronjutter posted:

Photoshop filters bad, real painting good.

None of them are real paintings. And none of them are photoshop filters.

You can do it, too.
https://dreamscopeapp.com/

• Locked thread