Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

khy posted:

If you could custom design a character for Overwatch, what would it be and what abilities would it have

someone that generates literal building blocks people can stand on and interact with and move around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

khy posted:

If you could custom design a character for Overwatch, what would it be and what abilities would it have

A character with no damaging attacks. Nothing but really obnoxious CC abilities like heavy slow, jamming enemy guns, remapping controls, temporary blind, etc. Ultimate attack would basically be the Overwatch equivalent of fighting a Marlboro in a Final Fantasy game and getting hit by Bad Breath.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Minrad posted:

yeah pros telling the devs not to buff zenyatta sounds like a blessing moreso than a curse. I loving hate playing the game when anyone can pick up tracer or genji and dominate.

IMO Zen is fine right now anyway, his only problem is having to compete with Ana and Lucio for a team slot

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i would like travis touchdown, from the new nintendo smash bros

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cowcaster posted:

i would like travis touchdown, from the new nintendo smash bros

I mean if they just straight up stole some stuff from Splatoon to make a character complete with the moving around in your ink stuff, I'd be 100% down

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

This, I want this kind of character with wicked mobility and I-don't-loving-care for weapons:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Here's my idea. A new support healer. He'd carry around a huge tank of green biotic gel on his back, has a weapon that looks like a power washer sprayer.

Primary fire - shoots out a stream of gel in an arc, like a combo of Junkrat and Mei. Gel heals allies and damages enemies.
Alt fire - shoots out a pressurized stream that goes farther with less arc, but heals/damages slower.

Shift ability - Gel Puddle, drops a big puddle of gel on the ground. Allies who stand in it are healed, but it shrinks as more people heal from it. Enemies who walk through it are slowed. Lasts 20 seconds or until consumed.
E ability - Gel Tether, fires a sticky blob of gel at an enemy, applying a strong slow. They cannot sprint/d.va rocket/crossfade to move faster while tethered. Moving far enough away from the point they were hit or after like 10-12 seconds removes the effect.
Ult - fires a massive orb of gel into the air which explodes, creating a large area (Mei ult-sized) of constant healing/damage for several seconds. Sort of a mix between Reaper and Zenyatta but a bit weaker than either one.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

khy posted:

Asbjörn the Reverse Torbjörn. A giant Swedish robot with a winch for one arm. Instead of building turrets and dispensing armor, he lassos teammates with his winch and sticks them to himself as human shields. If you manage to shoot past them and kill him, it's like a bomb went off in a clown car.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Scotlander posted:

On the subject of the devs making changes, on the last Overview podcast it was mentioned that there is a pro-player discord, that has most of the top Western pros in it as well as a couple of the lead developers. Apparently Slasher(Rod Breslau) found out that the devs reached out to the pros on the discord for their thoughts on the last PTR patch, but only got answers from 2 players. He's been bugging every pro to give their two cents to the devs on this patch, which might be the reason for the quick reversal of a couple of the changes. The zenyatta discord change especially didn't seem to be well liked by most of them.

Polling pro players is spotty but anything that gets them to balance more for the top level of play is good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I want a tank that can taunt which aimbots the target player to you exclusively. Make that same tank not have a shield to balance it to a nice risk/reward level and make the range about 5-10 yards.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
a tank with powerful electromagnetic armor would do the trick

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

gently caress new characters, I just really hate sitting down for a couple of hours comp play and getting 90% 2cp maps that end in a draw. loving poo poo is what it is.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jeza posted:

Is Mercy really in such a bad spot? I'm seeing her plenty right now. She's super common to see as one character gimmick smurfs as well.
I think Mercy is absolutely fine as she is. She gets picked a tonne at low levels, and considering how busted both Ana and Lucio are her pickrates at the highest level isn't actually that bad (mostly with Pharah in divecomps). She's a very good starting character (and also for more experienced players who haven't specifically learnt a healer but need on on their team) since she's simple and doesn't require much mechanical skill. Also people keep calling her "unfun" but a lot of players main her and clearly love her playstyle.

If you want a game where every character requires mechanical aiming ability may I recommend basically any other shooter game.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I think Mercy is fun to play. There I said it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
port every suit from Metal Warriors as its own hero

e: holy poo poo havoc made me think how much I want some hero that has hoverjets to slide around, like a super speed version of Lucio

Minera fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 10, 2017

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I think Mercy is fun to play. There I said it.

:same:

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

It would be totally worth the extra balancing required for the fun of just letting Mercy shoot her pistol in one hand and heal/buff in the other at the same time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shooting and controlling a beam at the same time sounds really awkward to me and I hope they don't do it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Click on ally = beam. Do not require it to be held down

Click on enemy = shoot

Done

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya that'd be a good way to nerf her.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

dogstile posted:

Click on enemy = shoot

Done

It's not required to be held down. There's a character setting that makes the beam a toggle rather than something you have to hold down.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

dogstile posted:

You can even already do this in the control options for Mercy.

Give the woman her pistol in her left hand, shooting with left click, and just have her right-click select her heal/buff ally and [E] to toggle between types, boom Battle Mercy online.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not required to be held down. There's a character setting that makes the beam a toggle rather than something you have to hold down.

:aaaaa:

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

khy posted:

The Green Pharah.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

it doesn't feel like I'm the one peeing life into them so I don't like it

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Rename Mercy to No Mercy, let her dual wield her pistols and guardian angel to enemies and while reloading she does some sweet staff melee combos.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just give Mercy the Symmetra chainsaw beam when she clicks on a enemy.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Make Mercy slowly drain health from enemies in an aura with a smaller radius than Lucio's

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Make Mercy the only one who can ignore anti-heal and wake people up from stuns and stuff. Also fill the maps with little glowing points she can guardian angle too even if there's no allies around.

Also I have a million hero ideas like

Doomguy Quakeman: Has like five guns, faster and more health then the average offense character. No abilities though.

Third Person Shooter Guy: Camera is always in third person instead of first. Can do that shoot around cover at the cost of extra bullet spread gimmick.

Splattoon: Woomy.

AvP and Natural Selection were pretty fun, the hero: Just give me a bitey wall walking jumpy alien thing. Maybe lay eggs so smaller jumpy aliens things can be obnoxious at the enemy.

A dog and a cat who are friends: Robots and people are cool and all but Winston can't be the only talking animal and everyone loves the classic Dog With A Knife(or gun) In His Mouth.

The Pyro.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Just make the Gorge from Natural Selection 2, belly slide and everything

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
A hero whose ultimate is just stealing another person's ultimate and his voice line is himself badly impersonating the person whose ult he stole.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Theta Zero posted:

A hero whose ultimate is just stealing another person's ultimate and his voice line is himself badly impersonating the person whose ult he stole.

Ah yes, if Overwatch is missing anything, it's Kirby

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bolow posted:

Just make the Gorge from Natural Selection 2, belly slide and everything

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Maple Leaf posted:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Maple Leaf posted:

I mean, yeah.

Also Reinhardt needs a Dedede skin

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

A character with no damaging attacks. Nothing but really obnoxious CC abilities like heavy slow, jamming enemy guns, remapping controls, temporary blind, etc. Ultimate attack would basically be the Overwatch equivalent of fighting a Marlboro in a Final Fantasy game and getting hit by Bad Breath.

Bottom Liner posted:

I want a tank that can taunt which aimbots the target player to you exclusively. Make that same tank not have a shield to balance it to a nice risk/reward level and make the range about 5-10 yards.

Make it an Omnic voiced by Dave Foley channeling Yes-Man and you're set.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Give a character the Vortex Shield from Titanfall.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I want to see a straight up Shadowrun-esque Mage that plays sort of like the character from Lichdom: Battlemage

Except actually good cause that game sucks rear end

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait, does progress towards the point on 2cp points not decay anymore? A Reinhardt just won the game for an enemy team by walking on it for a fraction of a second. They hadn't been on it in five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

khy posted:

-Experimental Lizard Organism sent down from the moon to kill humans. Tank that plays like an Alien from AvP, crawls and hangs off of walls and ceilings, Has melee swing attack, has a Hunter-like lunge to pounce on enemies and rip them apart, breathes a DoT acid breath that slows down people hit. Ult unleashes a swarm of smaller lizards that gang up on the enemy team and can be shot.

-Abroad volunteer that got sent to Australia and wound up becoming bitter and hating Junkrat/Roadhog. Offense 'berserker' hero that is great at engaging and breaking defenses, but terrible at escaping. Has a 2-shot scattergun on his primary fire that knocks people backwards, and a wrecked Omnic minigun as his secondary that takes a while to wind up and can overheat, but doesn't slow him down and uses no ammo. Minigun keeps firing even while stunned (super-counters Roadhog's hook). Can pick up spare healthpacks, and uses them in a stimpack ability to overheal himself and become resistant to stun/sleep. Secondary is a locking-on shoulder check that closes in fast but only deals moderate damage and can't be used to flee. Ultimate just fully heals him and removes his gun's ability to overheat and removes the windup. Overall playstyle is probably entirely eclipsed by Bastion/Orisa at this point.

-Omnic supremacist villain who self-upgrades. Possibly a former detective omnic from Scotland. Sniper tank. Has shock-rifle styled railgun that deals exorbitant damage and pierces through multiple people, but always has a laser sight visible and only can shoot one shot per reload. Secondary fire unleashes a slow moving projectile he can shoot to explode. Both special abilities are dedicated to a magnetic shield that can specifically target either Bullets, Explosives, or Projectiles/Beams (i.e. Zarya Winston or Mei). Can only switch every 3 seconds and hold up shield for a limited time like D.va. Bullets liquidify and become temporary armor. Explosions Detonate around him and can damage enemies near him. Projectiles are absorbed and replenish his ammo. Ultimate causes him to unleash a lightning field that roots people around him in place and randomly generates lightning strikes. Or maybe he steals ultimates depending on who he hurts/absorbs shots from the most?