Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Danaru posted:

Drakengard is my favourite game I never want to play just because of the sheer loving chutzpa it took Yoko Taro to make Ending E. That man is a hero.

Then he went and made Nier players delete all of their saved data to see ending D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ThingOne posted:

Then he went and made

I don't mean to be that guy, but the game was fairly obscure and just got a sequel, a lot of people will probably be playing for the first time around now and that's the biggest surprise in the drat game.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Most of the games in the Wild ARMs series are set on a planet on the decline after a war with alien robot demons, too. In the first game, the sky actually shatters at one point.

It's been a while since I beat it but didn't the third game actually straight up destroy the world? Like, everything is dead and now data in an immense database, so the heroes boot up the Matrix and hope nobody notices?

Even if I'm remembering the end wrong, that was definitely one of the more jacked up Filgaias shown. So little water left even the "oceans" are just very finely ground sand dunes.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Whether or not there was an apocalypse in the backstory of Knytt Underground is something the characters themselves debate. The surface is definitely toxic to the characters, and humanity has vanished, but they aren't clear what happened.

The player is invited to make some shrewd guesses though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The Ar Tonelico series takes place in a setting where the surface of the planet was rendered uninhabitable ages ago and what remains of humanity clings to life on tiny floating continents around three massive towers. The second game has the protagonists foiling like three different apocalyptic events, all of them a response to the slow apocalypse of the land around the tower they live on crumbling away piece by piece.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Bravely Default lets you watch the end of multiple universes in its true ending, though not in the same "Doom is coming" way Majora's Mask does.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Does Super Paper Mario's chapter 6 count? Where the void consumes a universe with you inside, and then you go back and it's just a flat, white expanse with the occasional rooftop.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Mass Effect 3 tells 3/4s of a good apocalypse story too after two solid games of build up to it.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Wait wait I actually have one! Saints Row IV, you actually get to watch the earth explode, killing every last human on it.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
There's the demon path of Soul Nomad and the World Eaters too, in which you get to personally destroy all of existence.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The ending of Wind Waker is kind apocalyptic, in a way. It's the end of a world, at least.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Lunar series starts with Zophar causing an apocalypse on Earth and forcing everyone to move to the moon.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

He's not going to post it here because its not his thread but did you know that designated Navi ChaosArgate started an LP of HITMAN today? Well now you do!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dark Souls 3 has the world ending, though more an "as the plot progresses" thing than some sort of failure state.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I like that the mask that was forgotten about was the stone mask.

It's not a planet destroying type of end of the world, but Primordia lets you loose a virus that kills everyone in the last populated area on the planet.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Faerie Fortune posted:

Wait wait I actually have one! Saints Row IV, you actually get to watch the earth explode, killing every last human on it.

Well, not all of them.

PS: great play through, don't change a thing!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Star Ocean 3, the whole universe gets deleted until the protagonist monologues in his head

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

In Star Ocean 2, a planet crashes into an antimatter nebula thing (IIRC) housing a bunch of energy beings, killing everyone on the planet (except the protagonists).

Hell, in the first Star Ocean, the planet you start on gets hit by a pandemic that slowly petrifies anyone who contracts it. The implication is that only the protagonists were spared to look for the cure (because of course there is a cure), and only because they happened to come across a dashing space captain willing to defy the Prime Directive to save a species.

Star Ocean seems pretty happy destroying planets, doesn't it?

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Most of the games in the Wild ARMs series are set on a planet on the decline after a war with alien robot demons, too. In the first game, the sky actually shatters at one point.

Though not necessarily the same planet, despite the same name. It's extra strange.

For Apocalypse chat, in Breath of Fire 2, if you say No at a critical point, demons immediately flood the world, you lose.

In BOF4, if you do something similar, YOU are the Apocalypse.

Final Fantasy 9 has you explode a lot of places as you go, most notable a planet.

Speaking of exploded planets, Xenosaga has a lot of them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Bad Ending of Type-0 has a type of apocalypse, where you're granted the powers of a God via becoming l'cie, but you end up fighting an endless swarm of enemies that keep getting higher and higher level until they just overwhelm you, then everybody dies after the game over.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

About half of the Metroid games have planets blow up after you're done with your visit.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Geemer posted:

About half of the Metroid games have planets blow up after you're done with your visit.

That's just Super and Fusion I think? Can't remember if the planets in the Prime series blew up, pretty sure they didn't.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tallon IV definitely did.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Commander Keene posted:

Dark Aether in 2 and Phaaze in 3, too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dark Aether is only half a planet, though. It's more like if Link blew up the Dark World in ALTTP instead of restoring it to the Golden Land. Also, that game literally had to end with one of the two exploding.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Speaking of Star Ocean, in Star Ocean 4, the protagonist's stupidity is a direct factor in the annihilation of an alternate universe Earth, complete with Not-Nazis in Area 51.

Honestly, it deserved to explode. The scientists named the antimatter reactor what did it after their dead son.

Yes, the protagonist gives them the antimatter engine they need to finish the bad idea machine.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hey, Fae, Artix and I are streaming NieR, so come join us if you can!

https://beam.pro.chaosargate

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Hey, Fae, Artix and I are streaming NieR, so come join us if you can!

https://beam.pro.chaosargate
link doesn't work for me

also are you all leaving Hitbox for some reason? I'm guessing beam is a streaming service?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

It's http://beam.pro/chaosargate and yes, hitbox has massive stability problems that we couldn't resolve so most of us have moved to beam or youtube for streaming!

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Commander Keene posted:

When does Tallon IV blow up? It's fine at the end of Prime 1 and I don't think you go back to it ever.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 49 - Artix, Hero Of Baked Goods

For context, before this session I decided I wasn't going to let the stupid beavers and their dumb race beat me, so while I was waiting for the guys to be around for recording, I streamed myself redoing the minigame until I beat it. I was on my own for a lot of it until Artix came by with some breakfast and helped save the day.

Unfortunately I was not recording, and beam ate the VOD so there's no proof of this thing actually happening. I promise I did it though, you can see the bottle right there!

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Oh wow, I have almost no memories of the Great Bay Temple, so this is going to be exciting to watch.

That whirl pool gimmick looks it might get old fast if you need to play around with it a lot, so rip everyone if thats the case.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zernach posted:

Oh wow, I have almost no memories of the Great Bay Temple, so this is going to be exciting to watch.

That whirl pool gimmick looks it might get old fast if you need to play around with it a lot, so rip everyone if thats the case.

Oh Fae is going to pull up so many repressed memories then. :v:

I would like to say while I like the idea behind the temple...I find OoT's temple far, far less painful. And I had a guide for MM as a kid!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love Great Bay temple as far as design goes, and overall aesthetic. There are a few flaws that hold it back from enjoying it as much as I could, though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Great Bay Temple is a great concept, but it can be a bit painful in its execution.

Once you grasp the bigger picture it's quite easy to understand and navigate, but because everything looks kinda the same (though they try real hard with different colored surfaces and pipes), it's hard to get at first.

Still, I really like it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love the Water Temple, and I love the awful Great Bay Temple. I feel like if I'm not angry at a Zelda dungeon, it's not trying hard enough.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The first time I beat Great Bay Temple, a friend was coming over when I was early on in the temple, but I was so in the zone that I made him work with me to get through the rest of the temple while we were hanging out. By the time we got done, he had to leave.

We never hung out again. But I'll 100% cop to being the lovely friend there.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Faerie Fortune posted:

I promise I did it though, you can see the bottle right there!

Artix just edited the save state, didn't he?

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
It's interesting to see a different playstyle for dungeon prep. I never really bothered buying supplies or using the chateau milk, so I also didn't really register that you had infinite magic for the whole cycle if you did. My prep was always to soar out to the various dungeon entrance owls cause the pots/snowballs right next to them always have a fairy and some temporary supplies. Like the pots you grabbed by Lulu pretty much set you for bombs and arrows and if you're grabbing multiple fairies, then you're definitely gonna be full by the time you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

CirclMastr posted:

Artix just edited the save state, didn't he?

No! I really did do it myself, Artix was there :colbert: