Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

treiz01 posted:

Guys, did you know that a chugging framerate is dramatic slowdown

If anyone is experiencing chugging framerate, they need to exchange their system.

Zelda sometimes dips into the mid 20 fps but only for a second at a time. And again, that is during the most intense and busy portions.
There is a small pause when you hit things that is a stylistic choice that has been very common in action games for a long time now.
It helps to make the impacts have a little more weight.

Why am I arguing this? Some people think that "not 100% perfect 100% of the time means that it is garbage".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Inzombiac posted:

If anyone is experiencing chugging framerate, they need to exchange their system.

There is a small pause when you hit things that is a stylistic choice that has been very common in action games for a long time now.

The stylistic hesitations give more substance to the hits, and are a good thing.

Chugging framerates due to lovely hardware and lovely software is a bad thing.

On that note, I like eye candy and don't like lovely framerates, so my 1080Ti Founder's Edition is in transit. No "early-adopter tax" since Nvidia apparently learned their lesson from the 1080, and I should be able to switch out my 970 Monday :dance:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Why am I arguing this? Some people think that "not 100% perfect 100% of the time means that it is garbage".

As opposed to "Didn't fill my home with wasps, kill my dog, and steal my car, therefore it's perfect"?

Like, let's not pretend that if the shoe were on the other foot and literally any other company pulled it that they wouldn't be torn to shreds. I guess at the very least it's not an :xbone: level "Let's see how many bullets I can catch with my feet" level of deliberate self sabotage but still.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

As opposed to "Didn't fill my home with wasps, kill my dog, and steal my car, therefore it's perfect"?

Like, let's not pretend that if the shoe were on the other foot and literally any other company pulled it that they wouldn't be torn to shreds. I guess at the very least it's not an :xbone: level "Let's see how many bullets I can catch with my feet" level of deliberate self sabotage but still.

How long in video games has there been this expectation that everything in the game has to run at 60 Hz at all times?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

silence_kit posted:

How long in video games has there been this expectation that everything in the game has to run at 60 Hz at all times?

Since the introduction of the NTSC standard and the homogenous standards across most PC monitors.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought a packet of four raspberry mazarins and I've already eaten two.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Didn't a lot of SNES games run at 60 fps? I mean games like Star Fox didn't but more often than not right?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coredump posted:

Didn't a lot of SNES games run at 60 fps? I mean games like Star Fox didn't but more often than not right?

Who the gently caress knows :shrug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I bought a packet of four raspberry mazarins and I've already eaten two.
I bought a bag of cara cara oranges yesterday, first time trying that species.

It was good but not mind blowing. One of the oranges was dented open, what a waste. Still ate the entire 3 lb bag though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

what a waste

I imagined you saying all what you said in a Donald Trump ". Sad." kinda voice and it made my day.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Coredump posted:

They served frames when needed, but even the NES ran at 60hz

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'm looking forward to playing with both of these in cocktails. Ancho Reyes has a nice spicy/smoky/sweet thing going on. I got the Aperol as sort of a second, softer attempt at getting into bitter ingredients after trying Campari and immediately regretting it.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Really late to the game but I'm having fun. I'm glad it's a lot less serious than the Saga of Lightning That Never Ended.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

My roommate broke my previous 34oz Bodum Chambrod French press, so I got a 51oz one because I wanted a way to make a lot of coffee, especially when I entertain guests.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

My roommate broke my previous 34oz Bodum Chambrod French press, so I got a 51oz one because I wanted a way to make a lot of coffee, especially when I entertain guests.
You can also buy third party replacement borosilicate glass carafes for cheap off of Amazon.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

imho, stop wasting time with french presses, get an aeropress, it's so easy to clean and quick af to make perfect coffee. Like <1min start to finish and aeropress totally cleaned with no grounds in the drain.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
sorry I have strong feelings about making coffee:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I like my espresso maker.

How do aeropresses work anyway?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aeropresses are OK but they are by no means the one true way to make coffee. Most people who are concerned with the quality of the output start doing increasingly complicated things (using a metal filter, brewing upside down for longer periods) that eliminate a lot of the benefits such as ease of cleanup anyway.

If you have a real espresso machine there is definitely no reason to bother.

If you use it the normal way with paper filters it is super easy to clean up so it's good for brewing your own coffee at work, though.

mystes has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Mar 11, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I love my Aeropress, but

I got a 51oz one because I wanted a way to make a lot of coffee, especially when I entertain guests.

is not the use case I'd recommend an Aeropress for, unless they've started making a much larger model.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
That's what I thought as well - Aeropress is great for making a cup of coffee for yourself, not so much for multiple guests.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Aeropresses are OK but they are by no means the one true way to make coffee. Most people who are concerned with the quality of the output start doing increasingly complicated things (using a metal filter, brewing upside down for longer periods) that eliminate a lot of the benefits such as ease of cleanup anyway.

Well yeah but coffee snobs will always chase that dragon. For the rest of us, the aeropress is the quickest and easiest way to make an excellent cup of coffee.

Incidentally, I just put the plunger in but don't press it to let the magic of vacuums or whatever hold the coffee in and steep it for 30 seconds or so before I press. Way easier than doing the whole inverted thing, and nearly as good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Mar 11, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Nest chat:

My wife stays at home so a programmable thermostat is useless to us. The Nest is awesome because it can detect when both of our cell phones leave the house and then go into away mode. Then when one arrives puts it back on schedule. Only downside is that the kids and babysitter get a bit chilly when we go out for a date!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Bought some moleskin because the summer is coming and my parents don't know about my tattoos :sun:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
How old are you

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

FishBulb posted:

How old are you

23 and too poor to move out :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bought some moleskin because the summer is coming and my parents don't know about my tattoos :sun:

They don't know about your tattoos in the same way that they don't know about your masturbating like a monkey.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Coffee And Pie posted:

So you can afford tattoos but not a down payment on a home??? I bet you have an iPhone instead of healthcare too.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Coffee And Pie posted:

Given your frequent submissions to this thread, this is no surprise.

Content:

Iogear 4 port KVM

beefnoodle has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Mar 11, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Join the navy. They give you mole skin for free and don't care about most tattoos.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

prom candy posted:

So you can afford tattoos but not a down payment on a home??? I bet you have an iPhone instead of healthcare too.

Come to Canada, where the healthcare is free but the iPhone is more expensive than anywhere else in the world!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

App13
Dec 31, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Join the navy. They give you mole skin for free and don't care about most tattoos.

Can confirm.

Also don't do this.

Content:
I picked up one of those $20 76 piece HDX toolkits from home depot. It's such an insanely good deal and I think everyone should own one.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

These are cool and good! I bought one a while ago for wandering around and doing field recordings or other random projects involving sound where I couldn't tow my rack rig. Great little unit.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

8 weeks of language lessons.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Inzombiac posted:

Zelda sometimes dips into the mid 20 fps but only for a second at a time. And again, that is during the most intense and busy portions.

20fps for any reason on a brand new console in 2017 is unacceptable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

treiz01 posted:

:lol: nerd.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

treiz01 posted:

Actually a lot of people accept it

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well yeah but coffee snobs will always chase that dragon. For the rest of us, the aeropress is the quickest and easiest way to make an excellent cup of coffee.

Incidentally, I just put the plunger in but don't press it to let the magic of vacuums or whatever hold the coffee in and steep it for 30 seconds or so before I press. Way easier than doing the whole inverted thing, and nearly as good.

I use it inverted so I can pull the plunger to set how much water without looking while pouring. I also don't stir it or steep it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ready for next weekend!