Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Went and saw Logan. The ending made me cry. The movie was really good. I was afraid they were gonna go the wrong direction with it being rated R but nope.

Bout time Wolverine gets to let loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My favorite Square game is Hitman

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna be charitable and say they sometimes make cool games but uh FF13 wasn't great shakes, they had to remake their MMO because it was kinda bad, and as a publisher they seem to make a lot of shall we say questionable decisions like what happened with Mankind Divided. Maybe Hitman depending on how strongly you feel about always-online. Nier Automata might be the best thing with the Square name on it to come out recently but it's also worth pointing out that Square didn't make that one, they just published it, Yoko Taro and Platinum were the ones responsible for making it.

Even if you're literally just talking about JRPGs, both Dragon Quest and Bravely Default as well as World of Final Fantasy.

S-E has a lot of really solid games coming out in general. Like the bad stuff is less common than the good stuff honestly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 10, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I was mainly thinking DQ, FF and Bravely Default

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Capcom and Konami are the two developers whose 90s golden age I miss the most. They used to make such good games, and so many of them...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am about to start Resident Evil 7 because everyone has been saying it's really good!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

raditts posted:

Capcom and Konami are the two developers whose 90s golden age I miss the most. They used to make such good games, and so many of them...

Hell, same. Really the only thing I feel serious nostalgia for VG-wise is the SNES heyday. Mmmmmaybe we can stretch that out to include the PS1 era as well.

World of Final Fantasy is a kick in the nuts because it's a cruel reminder that we're never going to get an Einhander sequel, or even a remaster.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

raditts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0SwlMohRng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOzkzx1RKgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQJ5cz1mYmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_YK31P5IFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGw8DWctAts

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPLPSuys4sM

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I finally found a configuration for Spelunky's controls so I can play it comfortably! :woop:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is the configuration to always have run on

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

Sega has held in there pretty well I think

I mean I can't think of anything recent other than Yakuza/Miku (maybe Sonic will be good again?! They had a good thing going for a while with Generations + Racing Transformed) Valkyria Chronicles was cool too

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oddium posted:

is the configuration to always have run on

No!

...But I'm still good at throwing a bomb, having it bounce off a wall and knock me out so I can't move before it blows me up.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i would suggest always having run on

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oddium posted:

i would suggest always having run on

Is this an actually good thing to do? As in, good at helping me survive so I can get further into the game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is this an actually good thing to do? As in, good at helping me survive so I can get further into the game?

It depends on what makes you comfortable but a lot of people have said it improves their gameplay once they get used to it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The last time a small-numbers RPG with flat stylized graphics based on a cartoon with an insufferable fanbase that I stopped watching years ago came to consoles it gave us noted surprise goodgame South Park: The Stick of Truth.

So needless to say, I'm cautiously optimistic that lighting will strike twice with Steven Universe: Save the Light.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It depends on what makes you comfortable but a lot of people have said it improves their gameplay once they get used to it.

Then I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Capcom I'm kind of disappointed that this never got a remaster/port of any kind. I really dig that era of chunky, detailed spritework.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Spelunky: always run is like having rocket boots attached to my feet! :flashfact:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

well i do it and i've gotten speedlunky/low scorer. here's the most important thing you can do in spelunky i think:

Kill All Shopkeepers because the shotgun alone is insanely useful on top of the amount of free items you get. it'll take a lot lot lot of practice to get good enough to take them on though. here's how i usually get the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_oCvmP4tuo&t=115s

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oddium posted:

well i do it and i've gotten speedlunky/low scorer. here's the most important thing you can do in spelunky i think:

Kill All Shopkeepers because the shotgun alone is insanely useful on top of the amount of free items you get. it'll take a lot lot lot of practice to get good enough to take them on though. here's how i usually get the first one:

Thanks! I'm slowly getting used to rocket mode Spelunky - the levels sure do zoom by. :D

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

This is an actual for-real tactic.

Get used to killing shopkeepers and when it is a good idea to do so. The risk represented by an angry shopkeeper is often far outstripped by the reward of free items and to get to the last true area and the 'real' final boss you basically must kill Shopkeepers or get lucky.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so much poo poo in this game, just when I think I have it all figured out somebody does poo poo like this. I didn't know I could drop bombs while parachuting. I didn't know you could just use a torch to keep yourself warm on snowpeaks. It continues to be a constant "if you think you can do it you probably can" and that's great.

I never cared so much about a single Zelda until this one, it really feels like a huge adventure as opposed to a bunch of fetch quests to get 3 stones and then 7 crystals plus acquire a sword and do these dungeons in order.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

This is an actual for-real tactic.

Get used to killing shopkeepers and when it is a good idea to do so. The risk represented by an angry shopkeeper is often far outstripped by the reward of free items and to get to the last true area and the 'real' final boss you basically must kill Shopkeepers or get lucky.

I killed a giant spider with my new turbo running powers and it was great!

...Then I tried to kill a shopkeeper and put the bomb too close to him and he ramboed me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I killed a giant spider with my new turbo running powers and it was great!

...Then I tried to kill a shopkeeper and put the bomb too close to him and he ramboed me.

That's basically the big risk. Screw up and you'll get a shotgun to the face. You'll get used to it and once you start getting free shopkeeper items you'll wonder how you ever did without them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Mario Sunshine is my favourite 3D Mario :shobon:

Same. Probably the most flawed of the 3D Marios, but I like the exploration based platforming and Sunshine took it the furthest of any of them.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna be charitable and say they sometimes make cool games but uh FF13 wasn't great shakes, they had to remake their MMO because it was kinda bad

This is seriously underselling. It was easily the worst major MMO release I've ever played and I've played a lot of poo poo MMOs. It was well under the bar set by Age of Conan and Hellgate: London.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 10, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love everything about sunshine except the blue coins but I usually just ignore them

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Moon Monster posted:

This is seriously underselling. It was easily the worst major MMO release I've ever played and I've played a lot of poo poo MMOs. It was well under the bar set by Age of Conan and Hellgate: London.

I never played it so I was going off what I heard while trying to avoid potentially stepping on internet hyperbole but I also recall hearing that the failure of their MMO wound up causing them some financial difficulties as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anyone else here headed to PAX East this weekend? I'll be around, lugging a huge heavy yellow bag and this thing which is a real handy conversation starter and beacon to find me in a crowd:

here is an extremely tired Brad Shoemaker holding it, for scale

Only a few hundred were made so it's pretty unique, I got it completely by accident when I was buying some other stuff and noticed they had a single one left because someone's order got cancelled. I sold the item code it came with for twice what the sword cost, so hey, free giant fiberglass sword. I've been bringing it to PAX East the last two years, going from talking to a couple dozen people a day to easily 300 people a day was a real shock, but I've brought it every day since. Learned the hard way not to rest it on my shoulders too much though without some kind of padding, my shoulders were insanely bruised by the end of the three days the first year around.

If you see me around, say hello! I generally wander around from room to room checking out what folks are playing, jumping in on smash bros, or whatever in between panels.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i miss good hair brad

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oddium posted:

i miss good hair brad

I miss Drew...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Has anybody read Souls of Darkness? The idea of a fake Worlds of Power book about a modern game that's also a parody of the source material sounds like the kind of thing that could work very well or not at all and its cameo minigame in Frog Fractions 2 made me remember that I never actually got around to reading it and apparently it was successful enough for them to launch a Kickstarter for a sequel based on Fallout.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

Anyone else here headed to PAX East this weekend? I'll be around, lugging a huge heavy yellow bag and this thing which is a real handy conversation starter and beacon to find me in a crowd:

here is an extremely tired Brad Shoemaker holding it, for scale

Only a few hundred were made so it's pretty unique, I got it completely by accident when I was buying some other stuff and noticed they had a single one left because someone's order got cancelled. I sold the item code it came with for twice what the sword cost, so hey, free giant fiberglass sword. I've been bringing it to PAX East the last two years, going from talking to a couple dozen people a day to easily 300 people a day was a real shock, but I've brought it every day since. Learned the hard way not to rest it on my shoulders too much though without some kind of padding, my shoulders were insanely bruised by the end of the three days the first year around.

If you see me around, say hello! I generally wander around from room to room checking out what folks are playing, jumping in on smash bros, or whatever in between panels.
I'll be there. I am not happy that they are not doing scarves this year, apparently.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I never cared so much about a single Zelder until this one, it really feels like a huge adventure as opposed to a bunch of fetch quests to get 3 stones and then 7 crystals plus acquire a sword and do these donjons in order.

While definitely more traditional in its gameplay, Link Between Worlds allows you to do dungeons in any order, which is neat.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Guy Mann posted:

Has anybody read Souls of Darkness? The idea of a fake Worlds of Power book about a modern game that's also a parody of the source material sounds like the kind of thing that could work very well or not at all and its cameo minigame in Frog Fractions 2 made me remember that I never actually got around to reading it and apparently it was successful enough for them to launch a Kickstarter for a sequel based on Fallout.

I have my copy and all its related paraphernalia on my desk next to me, but I've never even cracked the cover. One day my sealed set of Souls of Darkness trading cards will be worth something. Probably.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John Carmack, the chief technology officer of Facebook-owned Oculus, sued ZeniMax Media on Tuesday, saying it still owes him money from buying the video game studio that he founded. Maryland-based ZeniMax bought id Software, a Richardson-based video game studio, in 2009. Carmack left the company in 2013 to become Oculus' CTO.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Guy Mann posted:

The last time a small-numbers RPG with flat stylized graphics based on a cartoon with an insufferable fanbase that I stopped watching years ago came to consoles it gave us noted surprise goodgame South Park: The Stick of Truth.

So needless to say, I'm cautiously optimistic that lighting will strike twice with Steven Universe: Save the Light.

drat, that looks gorgeous! I actually liked Attack the Light quite a bit, so a home console version of that sounds exactly up my alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

John Carmack, the chief technology officer of Facebook-owned Oculus, sued ZeniMax Media on Tuesday, saying it still owes him money from buying the video game studio that he founded. Maryland-based ZeniMax bought id Software, a Richardson-based video game studio, in 2009. Carmack left the company in 2013 to become Oculus' CTO.

"John Carmack hosed up unbelievably, desperately struggling to find a way to salvage it.

• Locked thread