Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

That is a good rear end post on spicy.

Hunan food is the best in China because drat thats good spice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hunan food is awesome but they aren't really loving around, it's just a giant pile of chilies.

I also found Guizhou restaurants around here and their food is hot as gently caress. I knew nothing of Guizhou before that.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
What would the food be like if chilli never came to Asia.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

Actually the true China game is KoF '99. Why 99 and not 98 or 2000? My friends in the Chinese FGC (who play modern games) are also flummoxed.

Seriously tho every arcade in this county has like 20 '99 cabs with tons of chain smoking dudes putting down tons of money on betting on local favorites, and sometimes it turns into real life violence.

I rarely ever see people playing the fighting games when I go to the lovely arcades, the big crowd is always around that one where you have to guess which of 4 monkeys will climb the tree the fastest. In the one in the building where my company was there's always a massive crowd of Tibetan women playing one of the bullet hell games.

In 4 years in Sichuan I haven't ever eaten anything I would consider properly spicy, maybe like 4/10 is the hottest thing I've had here. It's a bit of a disappointment since before I came I was always hearing about how spicy the food here was but its actually incredibly tame.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna knows a place with hot as gently caress laziji that I want to go to.

Sichuan food definitely isn't hot like we think of but it's really good, has lots of variety, and Sichuan people don't constantly harass me about how spicy it is and how they're the only people on Earth who eat peppers or garlic so it's cool.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kharnifex posted:

Just flavorless congee and unseasoned short ribs as far as the eye can see.

Century eggs would still exist so I could at least eat something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I dunno Guangdong and Japan have good food and they usually react to peppers like throwing salt on a slug.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've never really had an issue getting food as spicy as I want it in Thailand. I'm sure there have been times when it was toned down because I'm white, but if you eat at local places they basically only know how to make the dish one way and you get it the way they make it, delicate western tongue be damned.

Also Taiwan is basically the Iowa of Asia.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kharnifex posted:

korean food without spiciness to jazz it up is literally the worst and most boring food on the entire earth, so probably that

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Kharnifex posted:

vinegar or pickled vegetables in everything

Pick posted:

korean food without spiciness to jazz it up is literally the worst and most boring food on the entire earth, so probably that

My first experience with korean food was bibimbap at a place that didnt use the red sauce, and it was seriously the most boring, flavorless clay pot of rice that I've ever eaten. I'd rather just have white rice compared to it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bibimbap is the worst Korean food. It is just a bowl of sad. Koreans have decided it is the food foreigners like and promote it heavily.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Bibimbap is the worst Korean food. It is just a bowl of sad. Koreans have decided it is the food foreigners like and promote it heavily.

They promote it because it looks "pretty" before you mix it.

I actually like it very much, and considered it my #1 go-to lunch meal while in Korea (assuming the ingredients are quality and there is plenty of Gochujang to mix in).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

bibimbap is like taco salad (I like it too)

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

do you know bulgogi? it's pamous all over the world.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
TRIP REPORT: Tantan Men
I've been hearing a lot about how silly Chinese dudes are on Tantan, so last night I checked it out. I changed my settings to Men Only and then swiped left on all of them, just so I could look. I probably skimmed through 100-200 photos until Tantan said no more dudes in my area. My summary of Chinese men in Shenzhen:

The same 4 hairstyles over and over and over.
The same 2 styles of glasses, usually without lenses.
Waaaaay too much actual make up on many faces.
Almost as much face enhancing app work as the women do.
A LOT of photos of dudes in bathtubs. Like, it has to be a meme or something.
Many dudes in their underwear with their shirts off, obviously stuffing their briefs.
Chubby/fat guys flexing in front of mirrors.
Obvious gay guys, but one dude's screen name was "I AM GAY," and I had swiped too fast to get a screen shot. GBS poster?
One glorious fivehead that was so gender-bent that I had no idea if it was a man or a woman.
One ladyboy.
One blobby"It's Pat," whose profile actually said "I am a man, not a woman."

There were quite a few foreigners, and they were very normal though some fat goon-types were there too. Men from all around the world, but at that time it was mostly Middle Eastern guys or black guys from the USA. Some Indians that looked like Time Cops with their crazy sunglasses.

Total experience: Way more fun to see the weird dudes than the fiveheaded women. One of the women I'd matched with told me she had nearly 15k "likes" in a month, but only matched with about 50 guys because she was so grossed out at the selection. She was really disappointed when I showed her how I swipe (just blindly swipe right until my "likes" are finished for the day and I can't do it anymore, and then close the app and forget about it).

CHINESE COMPUTER UPDATE:
As expected, it was a Single-Language edition. It gave me all the options to change the system language and then said "LOL, you can't do that with this one. You need to upgrade to Pro." I talked to one of my plunge queens that works in wholesale Microsoft products, and 20 minutes later she had a brand new genuine Windows 10 Pro key and USB stick waiting for me, for free. I could update and change the system language, or reformat and reinstall entirely in English (because an upgrade still keeps the base language as Chinese forever, and Chinese will pop up from time to time). Also, the BIOS is in Chinese forever, so that's fantastic.
I wasn't sure what to do, so I left my computer in the office and will deal with it later today or maybe on the weekend.

OTHER NEWS:
One of my relatives told me today she would like to come visit me in China to see what it's like. I said to come ASAP, as I am sure she will LOOOOOOOOVE China. This is going to be so good, even though I have to wait a couple months until she can arrive.

Magna Kaser posted:

Actually the true China game is KoF '99. Why 99 and not 98 or 2000? My friends in the Chinese FGC (who play modern games) are also flummoxed.

Seriously tho every arcade in this county has like 20 '99 cabs with tons of chain smoking dudes putting down tons of money on betting on local favorites, and sometimes it turns into real life violence.
That was a question I had a while ago when I went to an arcade here: What the hell is with all of the NEO-GEO games from like 20 years ago? It's crazy. I walked in and saw Metal Slug 2 or something and I was confused, and then walked around some more and saw tons of NEO-GEO/SNK and then a bunch of lovely gambling machines.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Blistex posted:

They promote it because it looks "pretty" before you mix it.

I actually like it very much, and considered it my #1 go-to lunch meal while in Korea (assuming the ingredients are quality and there is plenty of Gochujang to mix in).

I never saw bibimbap that looked like that. Was always old hardening rice, sad limp vegetables covered in sesame oil so you can't taste them, and gochujang is a great ingredient but just eating it straight in something like bibimbap is kinda gross IMO.

My abiding love that's at all the basic kimbap shop places is jeyuk deopbap. :fap:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 10, 2017

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Had this in Xi'an, it was eel, sauce and peppers. That's it.

Hot as hell but so delicious; I ate most of it to the amazement of my Chinese friends. Cue all of the standard laowai can't eat spicy bs.

It did start to hurt after a bit but the flavor and odd looks were worth it!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, some people literally do believe this in various Asian countries--it's a problem for pharmaceutical marketing, for instance, where if you want to sell medicine to people you either have to disguise that it's a Western cure or somehow convince people that yes, this medicine will work on Westerners and Asians!

Doesn't seem to stop the glorious Han from gobbling antibiotics like M&Ms.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

I never saw bibimbap that looked like that. Was always old hardening rice, sad limp vegetables covered in sesame oil so you can't taste them, and gochujang is a great ingredient but just eating it straight in something like bibimbap is kinda gross IMO.

My abiding love that's at all the basic kimbap shop places is jeyuk deopbap. :fap:

There were a lot of good bibimbap places I got to know in Daejeon and Dongducheon. Occasionally you'd find a place that had an inferior version, but for the most part I'd be pretty impressed with what I got. Then again I also miss the straight up garbage-tier street food that was aimed at kids getting out of their hogwans at night. Ohhhh. Those random stick meats with neon cheese powder and gloopy sauce. . . So good in a "this barely qualifies as food fit for human consumption" sort of way.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Trip reports

BEIJING
Staring: 6/10 - foreigners are common but I was wearing a Chinese police coat the entire time so that earned me many stares and glares, I got HALLO'd a few times (drive-by HALLOs)
Food: 7/10 - I got suckered into a restaurant that was like "here's Peking duck for 400, oh you want noodles? okay here's two bites for 150 go gently caress yourself" but I had like 5 jianbing, also many delicious and overpriced cocktails (seriously Kunming step yo cocktail game up); checked out supposedly the best, most authentic Italian in Beijing and came away... happy and full but less than impressed.
Sights: 5/10 - wife dragged me to the Great Wall, I have never wanted to smack people's phones out of there hands so much in all my life; we tried to check out Tian'anmen but there was a kilometer-long line to get in.
Also I got to see how a Chinese brain hospital works/looks like (two of my wife's cousins have two different sorts of epilepsy). I'm glad I wasn't the patient - the hospital is famous for surgery so they didn't even wait for test results before they were like "Hey cutting your brain up with a knife will help!"

Overall we didn't have enough time to check out Beijing properly so I can't wait to go back. But gently caress the Beijing subway.

XI'AN
Staring: 4/10 - foreigners weren't as common but if I didn't wear my police coat I almost felt invisible. Except when we ate at a local hidden food market, then it was "Who the gently caress let the foreigner in?" looks everywhere. No HALLOs.
Food: 8/10 - noodles, pork sandwiches, lamb soups all day every day. But my stomach didn't appreciate it.
Sights: 7/10 - went to see a Tang Dynasty amusement park which was cool, and then they did a fuckin' trance music light show, followed by a weird Sun Wukong lovely CGI water show, and focused on some Tang concubine rather than the badass queen so then I decided China doesn't deserve the cool history it has. Terracotta warriors were cool, Xi'an's lanterns on the wall were cool. All of the history stuff was so bloated with "Shaanxi is very important to Chinese history do you know?" crap though it reeked of overcompensating.

I want to go back to Beijing since there's so much cool poo poo up there but honestly like 4 days in Xi'an is good enough for me for a while.

Also Haier you need to play the same games all other Chinese play do you know? League of Legends, Overwatch and C&C Red Alert 2. These games are the best, which is why everyone plays them.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Amergin posted:

But gently caress the Beijing subway.

Look at this sucker who only took line 1 and during the commute rush hours no less.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I got Thai'd pretty hard today. My Sony phone is on the fritz, so I decided after hard reboots and using my PC to reinstall the OS failed to get it working that it probably had a hardware failure (the phone gives signs that it is working, but the screen won't turn on). The Sony website gave me a handful of service locations around Bangkok and what luck one was down the street from me. Since I don't have a phone or speak Thai, I asked a friend to call the number of the location to see if I could just show up or if it was the kind of place devices were sent to for repairs but didn't actually deal with customers directly. After calling several times and not getting an answer, I decided to just go myself.

So I left the baby with my visiting parents and hopped in a cab. I told him the name of the closest Soi to the building and off we went. As we got closer to the Soi, he kept pressing me on if that was really where I wanted to go. Using my limited Thai, I explained I wanted to go to the Sony service center. He goes to where I directed him and it's not where I thought it was, but I know I had seen it before so we kept chugging along. Eventually he just switches into perfect English and says that it moved further down the road and if I had just told him from the start that I wanted to go to the Sony center he could have taken me direct and not wasted any time looking for it. When I said the Soi, he assumed I was a tourist who wanted to see some famous thing he had never heard of. But in any case we found it so I hopped out of the cab and walked up to the door. The whole thing was under renovation and there were just a few construction workers milling about. However, someone had printed out some arrows with the words "Sony Service Center" typed out on them. I followed the arrows until I came to a small office with a couple of Thai dudes hanging out. I showed them my phone and said, "Sony." They shrugged and brought me back down to the empty office. Great.

Another one of the locations was inside of a shopping mall downtown. I had been there before when I bought a PSTV, but I didn't want to make the journey all the way into town if I didn't have to. But seeing no other option, I decided I'd have to go check it out. However, I had no way to contact my parents and so had to return to my apartment, tell them what my plan was, prep the baby's afternoon things, and then took a cab back out to where I had just been so I could take the SkyTrain into town. I finally got to the mall only to find that the store was closed. A small sign on it said, "Sorry, March 10 and 11 store team building retreat."

You win this round Bangkok.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

WarpedNaba posted:

Doesn't seem to stop the glorious Han from gobbling antibiotics like M&Ms.

All credit to the marketing guys. They'll be the death of us all.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I rarely ever see people playing the fighting games when I go to the lovely arcades, the big crowd is always around that one where you have to guess which of 4 monkeys will climb the tree the fastest. In the one in the building where my company was there's always a massive crowd of Tibetan women playing one of the bullet hell games.

I think I have already told this story in here before but when I first came to Taiwan, on Christmas Day a friend and I went to an arcade and he was playing Street Fighter 4. A big crowd gathered around him as people tried to beat the foreigner. Then he beat every single person in a row, and the crowd kinda got sad and went away.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

quote:

Sup guys,

I'm currently experimenting with TanTan in Shenzhen. So far I have had the app since the 16th and have about 35 likes from girls of varying quality.

On my profile it says I've been liked 98 times, so 98 potential likes in a 10 day period is pretty drat good in my book.

I imagine that a lot of the tinder thread tactics would work when texting chicks, but there is one small problem: the motherfuckin' language barrier. A lot of chicks are messaging me first, but when they realize I don't speak Chinese they're out. I've gotten a few of the girls to convert to weixin for faster texting and setting up plans, but I'm still working out the kinks on this app.

This app seems like it could be killer once one has calibrated to the way women are seduced in this area.

Anyone cracked the Tantan code and want to share strategies and other things?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I need my apps optimized and calibrated for seduction.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
China is now 0-2 in the World Baseball Classic (kinda like olympics for baseball, every 4 years but a lot of the best players don't play in it). They lost 6-0 to Cuba and only managed one hit (that is bad) and 11-0 to Australia although they did manage 5 hits that game - all singles. I assume much face has been lost

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

China is now 0-2 in the World Baseball Classic (kinda like olympics for baseball, every 4 years but a lot of the best players don't play in it). They lost 6-0 to Cuba and only managed one hit (that is bad) and 11-0 to Australia although they did manage 5 hits that game - all singles. I assume much face has been lost
The amount of face lost in this case is dependent on how loudly they proclaimed that China invented baseball (if not all bat-and-ball sports).

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
CHINESE COMPUTER:
Wiped that drat thing and clean-installed a fresh Windows 10 Pro in US English. The hard drive had a partition with all the drivers I needed. From wipe, reinstall, and putting all the drivers back it took like 45 minutes.... except my Nvidia drivers are being a piece of poo poo and telling me they're incompatible with my system. Googling tells me this is very common and there's like 50 different ways to fix it, and it's best to go down the line and try all of them until something works. There goes my evening. No more updates about this because who cares and now it's all in English so it's no longer a Chinese computer.

EDIT: I don't like this Windows 10 Start with the tiles. I am install Start10 since Start8 was so good.

LOL. Where is this from?

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I assume much face has been lost
They can save it for the domestic audience. "It's a foreign sport. Chinese shouldn't support these foreign things anyway." *Wants to become a world leader in football, table tennis, badminton, and every other foreign sport since there are no Chinese sports except jianzi and dick punching*

Amergin posted:

Food: 7/10 - I got suckered into a restaurant
Yes you did.
The rest of this sound standard. My favorite thing about Chinese tourist sites is that they are all made for domestic use and foreigners are a total afterthought. Because of this, any tourist site is filled with way, way too many people (like every thing to see here) and sometimes I even wonder why locals want to bother. They just don't know what it's like to not wait in line forever or be surrounded by so many people. The idea of a quiet, relaxing holiday doesn't make sense to them. A holiday/vacation needs to cost a lot, be full of people, be as frustrating as possible, miserable, slow, full of false show and fake poo poo, and definitely not quiet. If you're not on edge and letting those forehead veins get a full workout then it's not leisure.

quote:

Also Haier you need to play the same games all other Chinese play do you know? League of Legends, Overwatch and C&C Red Alert 2. These games are the best, which is why everyone plays them.
Luckily all of the games that Chinese people like I find disgusting to play. I mentioned to Chaoshan Girl that this computer will be pretty good at playing games and she gave me this look of horror. Her idea of gaming is basically whatever shut-in nerd games that people are addicted to here (fake Counter Stike, League, anime poo poo, fake Star Craft), and had no idea there are other kinds of games in the world. I'm going to blow her mind on GTA 5 once it's ready to go.

Haier fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 10, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Amergin posted:

Trip reports

BEIJING
Staring: 6/10 - foreigners are common but I was wearing a Chinese police coat the entire time so that earned me many stares and glares, I got HALLO'd a few times (drive-by HALLOs)
Food: 7/10 - I got suckered into a restaurant that was like "here's Peking duck for 400, oh you want noodles? okay here's two bites for 150 go gently caress yourself" but I had like 5 jianbing, also many delicious and overpriced cocktails (seriously Kunming step yo cocktail game up); checked out supposedly the best, most authentic Italian in Beijing and came away... happy and full but less than impressed.
Sights: 5/10 - wife dragged me to the Great Wall, I have never wanted to smack people's phones out of there hands so much in all my life; we tried to check out Tian'anmen but there was a kilometer-long line to get in.
Also I got to see how a Chinese brain hospital works/looks like (two of my wife's cousins have two different sorts of epilepsy). I'm glad I wasn't the patient - the hospital is famous for surgery so they didn't even wait for test results before they were like "Hey cutting your brain up with a knife will help!"

Overall we didn't have enough time to check out Beijing properly so I can't wait to go back. But gently caress the Beijing subway.

XI'AN
Staring: 4/10 - foreigners weren't as common but if I didn't wear my police coat I almost felt invisible. Except when we ate at a local hidden food market, then it was "Who the gently caress let the foreigner in?" looks everywhere. No HALLOs.
Food: 8/10 - noodles, pork sandwiches, lamb soups all day every day. But my stomach didn't appreciate it.
Sights: 7/10 - went to see a Tang Dynasty amusement park which was cool, and then they did a fuckin' trance music light show, followed by a weird Sun Wukong lovely CGI water show, and focused on some Tang concubine rather than the badass queen so then I decided China doesn't deserve the cool history it has. Terracotta warriors were cool, Xi'an's lanterns on the wall were cool. All of the history stuff was so bloated with "Shaanxi is very important to Chinese history do you know?" crap though it reeked of overcompensating.

I want to go back to Beijing since there's so much cool poo poo up there but honestly like 4 days in Xi'an is good enough for me for a while.

Post a pic of your Chinese police coat

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno Guangdong and Japan have good food and they usually react to peppers like throwing salt on a slug.

Yeah a lot of people in here seem to misspell Guangdong and Cantonese when talking about the best Chinese food it's messed up

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm the idiotic VPN company (Golden Frog/ Vypyr) that requires you to have an unblocked internet connection to install their VPN instead of just giving a gat dam standalone installer like a non-retarded company. I don't want to take my new computer to Hong Kong just to install your lovely slow VPN, assholes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Set up a VPN to set up a VPN.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It automatically shuts down any running VPN when it tries to install so you can't do that. I've had the same experience. I was able to get it on my home computer but not my work one.

Pee pee doo doo they are a bad company.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

It automatically shuts down any running VPN when it tries to install so you can't do that. I've had the same experience. I was able to get it on my home computer but not my work one.

Pee pee doo doo they are a bad company.
They are bad. I was downloading it to install Chrome and Zen Mate before I realized I can do both offline. I have entirely stopped using Vypyr on my computer (despite paying for my account), because Zen Mate in Chrome as an extension (I think also in FireFox and Opera) works blazing fast on the HK or Japan servers. I only use Vypyr on my phone, and the connection still sucks.

I can only use Zen Mate inside Chrome because the program for Windows itself won't connect at all, but even the free account has no limits or slowdowns in the extension. Vypyr was unbearably slow, or not working at all, for imgur and Youtube and almost all video sites, and now with Zen Mate it's like I am back in the US with the speeds. They had a sale on Valentine's Day and I was so stoked with the free service for the weeks before that I bought 6-months as a thanks. I suggest any goon to download their extensions and try them, because even the free service is good.

Also, before I realized that my normal China internet will download torrents at 15mbps, I tried using Vypyr to download one movie and they actually sent me a cease and desist and said they'd delete my account. I thought that's why average people used VPNs in the first place? LOL

EDIT: If you're in Germany or some country where you get "You can't watch this because of your region" things, Zen Mate free will take care of that too. Just go download the extension already.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://i.imgur.com/xYkwf80.gifv

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

How. How do you not LOOK BEHIND YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Excuse me Mr. China, but can we cut in, for we would also like a dance with Ms. Most Retarded Governmental Rhetoric before she eats us both like a huge spider

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ceciltron posted:

How. How do you not LOOK BEHIND YOU

Situational awareness is a foreign value.

Multiple friends of mine failed their driving tests in Korea because they checked behind them before switching lanes.

E: the worst part of that video is the idiot survived

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

Situational awareness is a foreign value.

Multiple friends of mine failed their driving tests in Korea because they checked behind them before switching lanes.

Wait what they actually teach you not to check???

• Locked thread