Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Teenage Fansub posted:

Now y'all have Neo Geo games, can you report back if audio seems delayed? Waku Waku was in the launch Aus store.

I haven't grabbed any of them yet but Hamster put out a tweet saying they're aware of the delay and visual issues and are working on a fix. https://twitter.com/HAMSTER_Corp/status/839368603434561536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
just starting Blaster Master Zero. lol that the plot keeps the same old "follow the frog down the hole" plot, only with the prefix of civilization collapsing and everyone migrating underground.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

I haven't grabbed any of them yet but Hamster put out a tweet saying they're aware of the delay and visual issues and are working on a fix. https://twitter.com/HAMSTER_Corp/status/839368603434561536

Yay!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just FYI, the DLC update for Gunvolt 2 is apparently broken so if you were thinking of getting it I'd hold off until they release another patch for it.

Ed: Nevermind, it's been fixed now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 10, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I just wanted to specifically defy psn's wishes, I have confidence in you

What wishes?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

uber_stoat posted:

just starting Blaster Master Zero. lol that the plot keeps the same old "follow the frog down the hole" plot, only with the prefix of civilization collapsing and everyone migrating underground.

Is it basically a refined remake? I loved the original but that game gets unreasonable and I could never finish it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

To not update the thread anymore. No part of me posting that has ended entertaining though.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is it basically a refined remake? I loved the original but that game gets unreasonable and I could never finish it.

it has save points and check points, so in that respect it's already much more forgiving. I haven't spent enough time with it to comment otherwise.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is it broken in places? Yeah. But I wouldn't say it's unreasonable. Milon's secret piece of poo poo castle is the definition of unreasonable.

Blaster Master needed a few tweaks and it would've completely owned. A save system would have solved all the major headaches the game caused back in the day. Instead you had to leave your Nintendo on for a week or two and hope your Mom didn't unplug it to vacuum the living room. Thankfully the Virtual Console has save states.

They needed some tweaks to the on foot, top down, gun system. I love how getting damaged downgraded your weapon, keep that, but each tier of weapon could be overhauled/scrapped to be more useful and work better. Bullets that only go a very specific curved path are useless in those tight maze corridors.

Grinding more hover car power ups has to be made easier. Either more enemies drop it or you increase the drop rates on the ones who do.

Finally an in game map system would have been a life saver. But this was the 8 bit NES days and too loving bad you're not getting one. Go borrow your friends Nintendo Power and hope his little brother didn't rip out the pages.

On a final note I want to point out that the chip tune soundtrack has some of the best 8 bit music in existence that easily rivals what Castlevania and Mega Man were doing.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Cartoon Man posted:

Is it broken in places? Yeah. But I wouldn't say it's unreasonable. Milon's secret piece of poo poo castle is the definition of unreasonable.

Blaster Master needed a few tweaks and it would've completely owned. A save system would have solved all the major headaches the game caused back in the day. Instead you had to leave your Nintendo on for a week or two and hope your Mom didn't unplug it to vacuum the living room. Thankfully the Virtual Console has save states.

They needed some tweaks to the on foot, top down, gun system. I love how getting damaged downgraded your weapon, keep that, but each tier of weapon could be overhauled/scrapped to be more useful and work better. Bullets that only go a very specific curved path are useless in those tight maze corridors.

Grinding more hover car power ups has to be made easier. Either more enemies drop it or you increase the drop rates on the ones who do.

Finally an in game map system would have been a life saver. But this was the 8 bit NES days and too loving bad you're not getting one. Go borrow your friends Nintendo Power and hope his little brother didn't rip out the pages.

On a final note I want to point out that the chip tune soundtrack has some of the best 8 bit music in existence that easily rivals what Castlevania and Mega Man were doing.

You should check out Blaster Master Zero, because it sounds like it's exactly what you want. It also adds some new features, like being able to switch between the weapon upgrades and holding the R button to keep facing the same direction while you move.

I wish we'd get more games like this. Many of the NES and SNES games I played as a kid haven't aged that well, so getting a game that feels nostalgic, but plays like a modern game is pretty drat great.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Zero is pretty much a remake, yes. It's got saves, it's got a map, it's got new weapons and abilities and bosses but the areas are largely the same. It's even got that one leap of faith in that one area, though there's a pool of water to land in now if you miss the ladder. The story is, as far as I can gather, a bit of a mix of Blaster Master and Meta Fight - main character definitely is half Jason from Blaster Master, and half unnamed blue haired anime guy from Meta Fight. Then there's Eve, who I'm pretty sure is a mix of Eve from the Worlds of Power Blaster Master book and Blasting Again, and the unnamed blonde haired anime girl from Meta Fight (though I never read the book or played Blasting Again). Jason's updated outfit is definitely based on what the Meta Fight guy wears in the artwork for that game.

Jason's fully upgraded gun is hilariously overpowered, though. It tears through bosses like whoa, and even without full upgrades, there's a few that are kind of insane on their own - and you get to freely switch between all the levels of gun you have.

It's not without its own flaws, but it's certainly not as frustrating as the NES game was at times.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah I'm getting it after work today, I just had no time to play games yesterday. The first game is one of my favorite games from my childhood so my nostalgia probably enables me to overlook its flaws. But I really do think it's a fantastic game despite them. That world 1 music never fails to get me pumped up for some Master Blastin.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LUnwRFMo6D0&index=2&list=PL1DAF02F05AB2A513

This is right up there with the DuckTales moon music for me.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 10, 2017

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Goons, there's a sale for Mario virtual console games on Amazon. It's not well organized so this is probably incomplete. You can get discounts on:

3ds: Mario 3 and Mario World
Wii u: the above, plus Mario 64, Mario kart 64, Mario party 2, and paper Mario.

All discounts are 20%, which is 1-2 dollars. Not much but better than the eShop price.

Also the whole Mar 10 deal made me realize there's no Mario content on switch yet. Hunh.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

xedo posted:

Also the whole Mar 10 deal made me realize there's no Mario content on switch yet. Hunh.

I'm pretty amazed they didn't launch with the VC even with NES/SNES/GBA/N64 libraries for this reason alone. When people finish Zelda it will be the perfect time to buy Super Mario World for the 4th time on a new device.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

After owning a plasma tv with 100 ms of input lag the last three years it's nice to have a rhythm game that's actually playable again.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

When they say visual issues, are they talking about the colors seeming really washed out? Because it's been a while since I've played MS3 but it looks overly bright and flat compared to what I remember.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

When they say visual issues, are they talking about the colors seeming really washed out? Because it's been a while since I've played MS3 but it looks overly bright and flat compared to what I remember.

Yeah.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
play blaster master

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Sweet, can't wait for that to get fixed. It looks really ugly like that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Just when you think MN rewards can't get any cheaper.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I'm sorry I ever complained about club nintendo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SelenicMartian posted:

Just when you think MN rewards can't get any cheaper.

I've actually been in the market for a new lock screen wallpaper. Mario Day is a good enough reason to switch.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
It was cool when the Wii U was struggling and they had free games all the time. Peak time to be a nintendork.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

I've actually been in the market for a new lock screen wallpaper. Mario Day is a good enough reason to switch.

it might be sleep deprivation talking but this is maybe the funniest jivjov post ever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

Lol

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

it might be sleep deprivation talking but this is maybe the funniest jivjov post ever

Even funnier than when, in the depths of my own sleep deprivation, I wrote a lovely review of Age of Ultron?

Edit:

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 10, 2017

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

man did you guys hear nintendo announced that reggie is going to personally go to peoples' houses and shoot them? insane, they've lost it

"how fortuitous for me, as i was recently wondering what it would feel like to have a bullet tear through my flesh. it will also leave me with plenty of time off to play nintendo games"

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

man did you guys hear nintendo announced that reggie is going to personally go to peoples' houses and shoot them? insane, they've lost it

"how fortuitous for me, as i was recently wondering what it would feel like to have a bullet tear through my flesh. it will also leave me with plenty of time off to play nintendo games"

Just because Sony and Microsoft don't come to your door and shoot you, doesn't mean Nintendo has to do the same thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If Reggie shoots as well as he plays Smash Bros. you've got nothing to worry about.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hey you can end up in the hospital with an insurance payout.

More games and more time. Nintendo is truly looking out for us.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh my god...Blaster Master zero...where have you been all my life?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

inferis posted:

After owning a plasma tv with 100 ms of input lag the last three years it's nice to have a rhythm game that's actually playable again.

It is a very important thing that a lot of people don't realize has an impact! Even after Guitar Hero had a lag adjuster.

http://www.displaylag.com

This URL is your friend for getting a new tv in the future.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

jivjov posted:

If Reggie shoots as well as he plays Smash Bros. you've got nothing to worry about.

lmfao

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How's Blaster Master control on Switch with the sticks? Not planning on picking up a pro controller for that dpad anytime soon.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Also, did they patch the game so that it actually supports the Pro controller?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I think Reggie could probably beat me at smash

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

How's Blaster Master control on Switch with the sticks? Not planning on picking up a pro controller for that dpad anytime soon.

Silky smooth buy now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cartoon Man posted:

Silky smooth buy now.

Just figured out that my Wii U/3DS eShop balance transfers over so now I have no excuse.:thumbsup:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh my god...Blaster Master zero...where have you been all my life?

The 3DS and Switch versions are identical, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Also, did they patch the game so that it actually supports the Pro controller?

Yes, patch drops on the 16th.