Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EvilJoven posted:

Wow for a bunch of tryhard progressives you guys sure are awfully judgmental about one consenting adult being in a relationship with another consenting adult.

The puritanical streak that simmers below the surface of white bread Canada makes itself known in the thread again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

cowofwar posted:

Consenting adults can do whatever they want. Your opinion on the matter is irrelevant and unproductive. It's just character assassination at this point. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Emery without personal attacks on him and his wife.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I'll never get that scotch, he committed suicide when she was 8 :(

Welp that explains a lot

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Guys I propose we raise the age of consent to 40 for women's own protection, it's clear to me now that they can't resist the Chads and their weed empires

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean, it's not like the age difference has ever come up bef-

Oh

So uh, Brad Trost is still fucknugget?

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/839987688392540162

Still a fucknugget (Thread is worth a read there)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Honestly guys you're ok with two spirit transgender questioning shemen but upset at consenting relationships smh.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Risky Bisquick posted:

Honestly guys you're ok with two spirit transgender questioning shemen.

This is fine with me too

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Risky Bisquick posted:

Honestly guys you're ok with two spirit transgender questioning shemen but upset at consenting relationships smh.

One rages most at that which one will never achieve. Namaste.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I gently caress people half my age in public parks.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Baronjutter posted:

Have we met?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

If you bike or take public transit to get there, I think the thread will allow it

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/gmbutts/status/840019983711272960

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TTC too.

Maybe Toronto can withhold federal taxes then.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
I don't think this got mentioned earlier but apparently Postmedia employees had their benefits gutted to pay for Paul Godfrey's next round of bonuses. Half the execs who received "retention bonuses" a few months ago are already gone. Watch out this weekend for the Terence Corcoran column about how the free market has wisely decided none of his co-workers deserve a pension. It couldn't happen to a nicer group of papers but I hestitate to call it a good thing.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I have lived long enough to see myself become the monster of CanPol. :(

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Wow for a bunch of tryhard progressives you guys sure are awfully judgmental about one consenting adult being in a relationship with another consenting adult.
It's difficult to maintain a coherent ethical stance when your politics aren't moored to underlying principles.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Ehh on second thought better :nws: this. Image from Marc Emery's Instagram of him being a total creepo about some teenage girls legs.

I'm also friends of friends with a girl who worked in one of his shops. Her and the other girls that worked there all confirmed he is hella gross, touchy, and says uncomfortably sexual poo poo to them all the time.

The guy has put in work towards the legalization movement for a very long time, willing to go in the public eye and get arrested again and again, but it's always been about building his empire and getting rich at the same time.

Tallying up my karmic balance calculator to see whether I give a poo poo about yet another arrest... Getting a pretty strong "mehhhh".

Go away Marc. Just retire or something.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 10, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Suns out guns out :sun:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

PT6A posted:

Or, just putting this out there, we could blame the 48-year-old drug dealer who married a 21-year-old who was working for him at the time.

Hey, that passes your very own "half-age-plus-seven" check. :sun:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jan posted:

Hey, that passes your very own "half-age-plus-seven" check. :sun:

Are you bamboozling or just that bad at math?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

He's a nasty guy folks,

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
How has all this stuff about Marc Emery never come up before if apparently everyone but me knew about it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

attack the guy who got arrested, not the stupid reason he got arrested.

look all weed guys are crazy pedophiles, weed makes people diddle children. trudeau is right in doing gently caress all about legalizing it, imprison all weedlords forever.

also, marc emory is literally bonerhitler.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

How has all this stuff about Marc Emery never come up before if apparently everyone but me knew about it?

I posted that instagram thing months ago in this very thread.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

When legalization hits I hope weed has warnings like the ones on cigarette packs.

Except instead of lung cancer it's like "WARNING: Extended use may turn you into *that guy* who goes on and on at parties about how Soros funded MKULTRA chemtrails are building FEMA camps for the lizard people"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

MikeSevigny posted:

I don't think this got mentioned earlier but apparently Postmedia employees had their benefits gutted to pay for Paul Godfrey's next round of bonuses. Half the execs who received "retention bonuses" a few months ago are already gone. Watch out this weekend for the Terence Corcoran column about how the free market has wisely decided none of his co-workers deserve a pension. It couldn't happen to a nicer group of papers but I hestitate to call it a good thing.

Oh no u guys democracy is literary being destroyed rn

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Look guys, when the American prison system sends its people, they're not sending us their best.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

attack the guy who got arrested, not the stupid reason he got arrested.

Both of the things are stupid.

Story time. When I was a younger goon in my first years of college, for lacking of a better cause I took up the legalization movement. Gotta protest something. I'd tried the stuff recently and it didn't make me hallucinate and kill my family as I had been promised, just felt nice, and no hangover!

Also on what I'm sure must be probably unrelated, at the same time I finally "got" pink floyd and led zeppelin.

Anyway so being a woke lad ready to make change in the world I headed out to a few legalize it/Free Marc rallies. Pretty big injustice that people get arrested for this poo poo, I'm in!

Wasn't really that impressed with it. Most of the people there were... Just look at any of the 420 rally crowd pics.

Good place to buy harder to find things like edibles back then, but that kinda seemed to take away the seriousness of the rally... For some reason.

Forgot exactly where I was going with all that.

Never meet your heroes I guess? Good lesson to learn early.

Marc did good things publicly but a suspiciously large number of people who've known him say he has always consistently done a lot of lovely things privately.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Emmanuel Macron is married to a women 24 years older than him who used to teach him in high school and he's probably going to be the next president of France?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

A Typical Goon posted:

Emmanuel Macron is married to a women 24 years older than him who used to teach him in high school and he's probably going to be the next president of France?

We need creep catchers abroad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I was reading on the CBC that Macron went up to her when she was teaching him and went "I'm going to marry you some day." which honestly is creepy and weird.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Arivia posted:

I was reading on the CBC that Macron went up to her when she was teaching him and went "I'm going to marry you some day." which honestly is creepy and weird.

Eh, France.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

bunnyofdoom posted:

I mean, it's not like the age difference has ever come up bef-

How did I never know this :catstare:

quote:

As an 18-year-old vacationing in Tahiti with her family, she met 47 year old Pierre Trudeau, who was then Minister of Justice. Sinclair did not recognize him, and she in fact thought little of their encounter, but Trudeau was captivated by the carefree "flower child", nearly thirty years younger than he, and began making investments.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
As a man, let me tell you why women should not date/marry/gently caress older men because you see...

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Postess with the Mostest posted:

How did I never know this :catstare:

"Began making investments"?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Sousa considering Foreign buyers tax :lol:

quote:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/toronto/ontario-reconsidering-a-foreign-buyers-tax-to-cool-housing-market/article34256991/

Ontario reconsidering a foreign buyers’ tax to cool housing market

The Ontario government is reconsidering its opposition to taxing foreign home buyers, saying it is now open to a B.C.-style levy to restrain Toronto’s hot housing market.

Finance Minister Charles Sousa said on Thursday he is looking at the tax as one of a number of options to control aggressive growth in home prices, after rejecting such a measure last year.

“A year ago I was thinking, ‘Let market forces prevail,’” Mr. Sousa said. “But now I’m concerned about … the ability of people to enter the marketplace. [There are] bidding wars everywhere you go, it appears, and I’m sensitive to that.”

Investigation: Foreign investors avoid taxes through Canadian real estate [free market you guys]

With February data showing detached-home prices in the Greater Toronto Area having risen by more than 30 per cent over the last year, a growing number of economists have warned that the market risks inflating beyond the control of policy makers.

Warren Lovely, head of public-sector research and strategy at National Bank Financial Inc., said he has also come around to the idea of a foreign-buyers tax, after having advised against it in discussions with Mr. Sousa last fall.

Runaway Toronto prices combined with the effectiveness of efforts to cool the Vancouver market mean Ontario should rethink its strategy, Mr. Lovely said in a research note on Thursday.

“We’re not saying that an incremental property transfer tax levied on foreign buyers is the silver bullet,” Mr. Lovely said. “But its time may have come.”

Mr. Sousa will likely face a fight if he decides to proceed.

Real estate industry groups have strongly opposed a foreign-buyers tax, saying it does not address the core issue of a shortage of supply of available homes for sale.

“The main culprit behind rapidly rising house prices is the GTA’s unbalanced market – housing supply cannot meet demand – not foreign buyers,” Tim Hudak, CEO of the Ontario Real Estate Association, said in a statement on Thursday.

Brad Henderson, CEO of Sotheby’s International Realty Canada, said foreign buyers are a tiny proportion of the Toronto market and any move by Mr. Sousa to tax them will not fix the more pressing problems.

“Our view is that it’s the wrong policy approach because the presumption is that the foreign buyer is the one driving prices up in Toronto and that’s not the case – no facts support that that’s the case,” Mr. Henderson said.

Meanwhile, Toronto Mayor John Tory wants to see more data on the effect of foreign buyers on the city’s market before supporting a tax on them, a spokesman said on Thursday.

Legislators in British Columbia also faced opposition before introducing a 15-per-cent tax last August on international investors buying property in the city.

Home sales in Vancouver have dropped off since then, and last month were down by more than 40 per cent from the record volume the previous year. Prices for detached houses sold last month within the City of Vancouver dropped by 5 per cent to an average of $2.67-million.

While it is still too early to say how much of that slowdown is a result of the tax, the reduced level of foreign purchases “likely contributed to the cooling in prices,” Bank of Nova Scotia senior economist Adrienne Warren said in a report.

Joshua Gordon, an assistant professor in the school of public policy at Simon Fraser University, said he believes foreign buyers are driving up prices in Toronto – as he believes they were in Vancouver.

The types of supply problems Toronto is grappling with “are not even close” to sufficient to fuel the pace of price growth seen in the city over the past year, Dr. Gordon said.

“When you have a pretty tight market, just adding a few extra buyers can really put a lot of pressure on the system.”

Taxing international buyers in the Vancouver area helped to curb speculative activity in general, he said, as the expectation of price increases itself tends to fuel the momentum of the market.

A side effect of Vancouver’s tax, however, may have been the shifting of foreign interest out of Vancouver and into the Toronto market, Royal Bank of Canada CEO Dave McKay said in a recent interview with The Globe and Mail.

“We may need actions that are similar to Vancouver,” Mr. McKay said.

Meanwhile, the Toronto market continues to pick up speed. Detached houses in the GTA sold for an average price of $1.21-million in February, trouncing the old record of $1.07-million set the previous month.

“If policy makers leave this market to its own devices, there is a real risk that a still-manageable bubble is pumped by rampant speculation into something much more dangerous,” Bank of Montreal chief economist Douglas Porter said in a research note last week.

As the affordability of single-family homes has deteriorated, the momentum in prices and sales has spilled over into the Toronto condo market, as well as to surrounding communities.

“Single-family homes in many mid-priced cities, including Hamilton, Kitchener and Barrie, also are moving out of reach of the average buyer,” Ms. Warren wrote.

Even as more and more prospective buyers get priced out of the market, purchasers shouldn’t expect relief on prices, she said. “Resale housing inventory is expected to remain historically tight, with active listings in Toronto at a decade-and-a-half low.”

Limited supply is a key driver of Toronto prices, which is one reason Mr. Lovely said he previously dismissed the idea of a foreign-buyers tax.

But at this point, measures targeting both the demand and supply sides should be considered, he said.

“In the long run, supply has to be part of the solution, but it appears that more could be done to tame demand, and dulling the foreign bid for Toronto and environs could be part of a multipronged housing-affordability strategy.”

With reports from Jeff Gray and The Canadian Press

CI, it's obviously supply limited says real estate hack #41412

klockwerk posted:

As a man, let me tell you why women should not date/marry/gently caress older men because you see...

Cucks

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 10, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Same way a guy can go from being "John, the band member everyone in the fandom knows to stay away from because he's a creepy abusive pedo weirdo" and "Jian, the pretentious, self-absorbed radio host who might still be worth a second date because why not"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

In other kinda-child sex news

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/senator-don-meredith-guilty-ethics-violations-1.4018722

The Senate's ethics watchdog has found that Independent Senator Don Meredith breached the Red Chamber's ethics code by engaging in an inappropriate sexual relationship with a young woman that started when she was 16 years old.

The details are included in an explosive report released Thursday. Meredith, who was appointed as a Conservative senator by former prime minister Stephen Harper in 2010, denies many of the allegations levelled against him by the woman in question — who is identified by Lyse Ricard, the ethics officer, as "Ms. M" in the report — but concedes he had sexual intercourse with her on at least one occasion.

Ricard found reason to believe Meredith and Ms. M had intercourse three times, including once when the woman was 17 years old.

Meredith, 52, denies the allegation.

Ricard found that Meredith violated two sections of the code of ethics, namely that the Toronto-area senator did not uphold the highest standards of dignity inherent to his position, and that his actions reflect adversely on the institution of the Senate.

The woman told Ricard the two had engaged in "partial" or "teaser" intercourse in December, 2014, when she was still 17, although Meredith repeatedly denied the allegation. Ricard nevertheless said she believes the intercourse took place.

Ms. M revealed to the ethics officer that she lost her virginity to Meredith shortly after she turned 18, on Feb. 16, 2015, at the Chateau Laurier Hotel in Ottawa. He also frequently masturbated while on-camera during video chats with the woman while in hotels and at his office at the GTA Faith Alliance. Meredith said he did not recall masturbating, but if he did, "it was an interaction," he told Ricard.

Ms. M said they again had sex in May 2015 at her apartment. Meredith denied that they had sex more than once, but Viber messages produced by the woman showed they were in contact on the day in question, and she sent the senator her apartment buzzer code.

Shortly after their first sexual encounter, in February 2015, Meredith wrote a letter of reference for Ms. M in support of her application for a parliamentary internship program. He also communicated with the woman's parents to discuss "business dealings," and sought to collaborate with the woman's sister on a non-profit initiative.

This man is in charge of sanity-checking the judgment of elected officials.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Pfft, who are we to judge such a relationship. Prudes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
When viewed through the lens of Zeno's paradox, you'll find that a state of true consent can never be reached.