Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Onion Slice is good, not because it competes with OSBs, but because it's respectable damage and a DEF/RES debuff attached to a character that can use almost all equipment and has an incredibly diverse skill set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Someone just told me that Shout and Vessel of Fate stack. Is that true? I don't know what all the buff IDs are.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Someone just told me that Shout and Vessel of Fate stack. Is that true? I don't know what all the buff IDs are.
yes. Shout is +attack, VoF is +attack/+magic

EDIT: The haste is redundant, though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah. shout just buffs attack, vessel of fate buffs both magic and attack, so they stack.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yes, it's true. While there are exceptions, the general rule is that any two buffs that don't affect exactly the same stats will stack. Shout and VoF stack because one is +ATK, and the other is +ATK/MAG.

e: This applies to debuffs too. Full Break is great because it's a -ATK/DEF/MAG/RES debuff, which means it stacks which the Breakdown abilities.

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 9, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Dear sweet gently caress I have both and I haven't been using them together because I thought they overwrote each other. gently caress!

Welp, time to go completely devastate the torment dungeons I haven't done yet.

Thanks everyone!

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

KPC_Mammon posted:

It's a 9.2 multiplier if you have enough speed for the 11th hit. That is worse than even Lightning's OSB. If you don't need the -DEF/RES that stacks with -DEF, -RES, and -FULL it is going to be terrible. If you aren't using someone who already applies -DEF/RES it isn't bad.

edit: Lack of element means it'll never be comparable to a decent OSB if you are only looking for damage. Unless you are somehow damage capped, at which point it does more damage than an OSB.

It's actually 0.82 per hit, so 8.2 multiplier at 10 hits which is what you get at level 99 without burst mode, and if you have burst mode that probably means you have his BSB in which case you're probably better off using the BSB 90% of the time. Even then it would only be possible to exceed 100k damage by at most another 10k. All that being said, there is no way you are ever going to cap the damage on onion slice against any boss where it would actually matter so the comparison based on damage alone is pointless, it is clear that any OSB (maybe other than Tyro's) will do more damage in equivalent circumstances.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

flowinprose posted:

It's actually 0.82 per hit, so 8.2 multiplier at 10 hits which is what you get at level 99 without burst mode, and if you have burst mode that probably means you have his BSB in which case you're probably better off using the BSB 90% of the time. Even then it would only be possible to exceed 100k damage by at most another 10k. All that being said, there is no way you are ever going to cap the damage on onion slice against any boss where it would actually matter so the comparison based on damage alone is pointless, it is clear that any OSB (maybe other than Tyro's) will do more damage in equivalent circumstances.

Yeah, I had a typo, it is 9.02 at 11 hits.

I recommend this PDF for people who want to understand the game's mechanics: http://happypluto.com/~misterp/r/ffrk.pdf

Shout and Onion's BSB is sub optimal because the haste doesn't double up. Use the BSB with Minfilia's Blessing of Light or, even better, one of the many +MAG breaks that don't grant haste or ATK and go with the far superior mage meta. Onion's BSB does above average magic damage due to the instant casts.

If you have realm synergy you also probably don't need both buffs for a physical team to hit the soft cap, especially if you have burst mode giving you another 20%.

edit: Mage meta is amazing, even with underwhelming hones if you have the relics for it. My Terra has 2 casts of Meltdown, 4 casts of Chain Firaga, and her OSB. With buffs she damage caps everything but the OSB and doesn't run out of spells before ult++ bosses are destroyed. That is without synergy, since my mage synergy is garbage.

Only drawback is you can't really do torments unless you get a great BSB or more hones.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 9, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

Only drawback is you can't really do torments unless you get a great BSB or more hones.

I have the reverse issue. I'm a native OK BSB (or Raines) away from a full blown mage meta team. I'm not far off with RW'ing in many circumstances, but there are certain elemental weaknesses I can't hit very well now. However, it's not a huge deal since I've been really lucky with the more universal BSBs recently. Have Alphinaud, Quistis, and Fujin to safely hit most enemies. I just don't expect to do that well against say the Three Gigases without either native Maria BSB or faithga.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Onion Slice is a good Very Weak Stage ability when you are just trying to finish a boss off and you know you're not going to need to reapply Vessel of Fate. Sort of similar to how Hail of Stones on Ramza is. Probably not worth it if you pull his OSB though.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 9, 2017

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

iamsosmrt posted:

I have the reverse issue. I'm a native OK BSB (or Raines) away from a full blown mage meta team. I'm not far off with RW'ing in many circumstances, but there are certain elemental weaknesses I can't hit very well now. However, it's not a huge deal since I've been really lucky with the more universal BSBs recently. Have Alphinaud, Quistis, and Fujin to safely hit most enemies. I just don't expect to do that well against say the Three Gigases without either native Maria BSB or faithga.

If you have native wall, the Gigases would probably be doable with Alphinaud + Valigarmanda (or and Quistis BSB while using OK BSB as RW. Just kill the Ice one last and try to avoid touching him with anything but summons until he's the last one left.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Got Fang's Punisher on dollar draw. Pretty happy with this! It's like Cleansing Strike, will be a great relic for XIII Cid Missions and FINALLY a physical relic for XIII period, that I was just complaining about. Mistelteinn would've been better but this I'm thrilled with.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Elephant Ambush posted:

YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Nice, congrats! *makes strangling motion in the air*

Way too many repeats to risk a pull.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Just looked at the anniversary poll results.

Zack in the Top 25? Orlandu and Ramza both beat Agrias? Balthier isn't on the list at all?

Maniacs. They're all maniacs

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Just looked at the anniversary poll results.

Zack in the Top 25? Orlandu and Ramza both beat Agrias? Balthier isn't on the list at all?

Maniacs. They're all maniacs

I still don't understand Squall being so high up

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

wait what's wrong with zack, i thought ff7 players liked him

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ff7 is boring

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Brother Entropy posted:

wait what's wrong with zack, i thought ff7 players liked him

No real opinion on Zack, but crisis core was garbage.

(Who locks cutscenes behind in battle roulettes?!)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

FF7 is good, all of the extended universe is really bad

I also don't get why Squall ranked so high. I guess because he's brooding and pretty

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Anyone still working on Gigases, here's the single most important thing you need to know about the fight: Thunder Gigas hits way, way harder than the other two, and has ~80k less health. Burn him down first.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

FF7 is good, all of the extended universe is really bad

I also don't get why Squall ranked so high. I guess because he's brooding and pretty

main characters always get a 'i like the game they're from so i like them' boost in polls

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kawalimus posted:

Onion Slice is a good Very Weak Stage ability when you are just trying to finish a boss off and you know you're not going to need to reapply Vessel of Fate. Sort of similar to how Hail of Stones on Ramza is. Probably not worth it if you pull his OSB though.

This falls apart though when you remember that the proper way to Gear and use burst carrying onion kid is Mage Gear, full break or affliction break if needed, and then just spam swiftspell the whole fight.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

main characters always get a 'i like the game they're from so i like them' boost in polls

Then why is it Squall and not Laguna :colbert:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

CaptainPsyko posted:

This falls apart though when you remember that the proper way to Gear and use burst carrying onion kid is Mage Gear, full break or affliction break if needed, and then just spam swiftspell the whole fight.

I actually find myself using him to carry proshellga and some other ability to hit a medal condition, usually something like meltdown or a chain-ga. I don't have time for him to be using full break while he's spamming swiftspell.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

Oh I never do that. I just use him as a regular old physical support. Plus I like the onion slice animation.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I could never get through FF7, but liked Crisis Core. I thought it was fun for a portable game. FF7 feels like it suffers a bit from being in that whole generation of games. PlayStation 1/N64 accounts for the awkward teenage years of gaming. FF7 is arguably a gem from that era, but still not easy to get through without nostalgia.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I really like the PS1-era FFs (yes, even VIII). For some reason, even though I started out with the SNES games, the PS1 stuff stuck with me more. I honestly have no trouble playing them even now - there are way, way uglier / clunkier games from that era.

Plus IX is the best mainline FF game :colbert:

I've never had a chance to play any of the FFVII EU stuff, even though I sometimes get morbidly curious. Probably for the best.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

flowinprose posted:

I actually find myself using him to carry proshellga and some other ability to hit a medal condition, usually something like meltdown or a chain-ga. I don't have time for him to be using full break while he's spamming swiftspell.

Yeah, same. But if I'm not running an actual support, I'll slap Full Break on him for medal conditions, use it once, and g2g. (In these instances, I'm usually using someone like Vaan or Fuujin or Agrias for the actual debuffs that are keeping me alive.)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I really want to pull on both xiii banners.

Banner 1 because my only good physical team is heavily wind based due to having Luneth and Fang's bsbs, so picking up Fang's OSB to follow up her imperil wind would be huge. Any of her other relics would also be nice, if only for the mastery bonus. Sazh bsb looks really good and I don't have a bsb medica and Vanille is already my #1 healer.

But man, that Flamberg. I just know I'll go 1/11 and get junk.

Banner 2 for another chance at Cid Raines BSB, Sarah's 623 hastega, and Hope's bsb2.

I'm hesitant. I've had terrible luck on pulls lately, 4/44 on the last 200 mythril and none of it relics I wanted or could use. Anniversary banners are coming up and I'll only have a little over 200 mythril going into it.

And then there is this event's ultimate boss dropping black crystals. Maybe I should save some mythril for stamina refreshes so I can rank up meltdown?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I wonder if that second banner will still be around when we find out about what's on the anniversary banners. Cid Raines BSB is tempting, but anniversary is soon.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

KPC_Mammon posted:

And then there is this event's ultimate boss dropping black crystals. Maybe I should save some mythril for stamina refreshes so I can rank up meltdown?

It's probably not worth it - I can't remember the numbers, but iirc the drop rate for crystals is super low (I think around 2%?) and you'd have to spend a ton of mythril to really make any headway. I'll likely throw some stamina at it on bad dailies just because I have nothing else to do, though the double greens event is still pretty enticing.

fake edit: Tried to find numbers on that reddit sub since they usually have good info, only thing I saw was some dude saying he used 1400 stamina and didn't get a single crystal.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Pretty sure that I've beaten every ultimate since crystals were introduced, a couple more than once due to CM's and mastery, and I've gotten just one as a drop. At a 2% drop rate, that's still not terrible.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So that works out to what, 1 crystal per 16 stamina refreshes? Assuming your stamina is maxed and you use your your initial full bar on it.

Which means going from R1 to R2 would require an average of $320 worth of mythril refreshes. And those few insane people who have R3 Meltdown have spent roughly $800 on refreshes to get it.

edit: Though that's not counting extra crystals available after crafting Meltdown, it's probably quite a bit less than that but I have no idea what the maximum number of black crystals you could have without farming is.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 10, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

BTW, for those considering investing heavily in Meltdown (or, for that matter, any other 6 star skill), they just announced that they will be doing a "balance update" to Ultima, Neo Bahamut, Dervish, and Omega Drive next week in Japan. Obviously that won't hit Global for a few months, but it's something to keep an ear out for so you can see if the updates change your plans.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I'm having serious megalixir syndrome on these crystals. I made Snowspell Strike for Celes since I have her indomitable Blade and it made some fights hilarious (less ridiculous after new spellblade abilities keep coming out), but otherwise, the only other one I have plans to make is Affliction Break. If they ever let us combine 5* to 6* orbs to crystals, that'd be awesome.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So Dr. Mog Vol. 4 banner just got released in Japan. The banner itself has:
Cloud and Bartz' OSBs, Tidus, Shantotto, and WoL's BSBs, Celescalibur, Minfilia's boostga/guts, Serah's hastega+mag/mnd boost, Selphie's mblink medica, and SG

Then you get you choose one of the following BSBs!

Garland, Minwu, Cloud of Darkness, DK Cecil, Giglamesh, Edgar, Sephiroth1, Squall1, Garnet1, Auron, Prishe, Balthier, Lightning1, Thancred, and Ramza.

Some duds/outdated for sure, but some are still very competitive, like Gilgamesh, Sephiroth, Prishe, and Thancred. Too bad it's just a 1-time pull.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rubicante's Gloves [SSB, +10 MAG] - 8 random Fire/NE magic attacks, Imperil Fire
:unsmith:

The rest of the new SBs on Rubicante 1:
Rubicante's True Red Cape [BSSB, +10 MAG] - 6 AOE Fire/NE magic attacks, En-Fire, Burst Mode
Attack -> Magic Blink 1 to user, activates Flame Cloak Mode; 50% to counter PHY with AOE Fire/NE magic attacks during Flame Cloak Mode; 4 single-target Fire/NE magic attacks, deactivates Flame Cloak Mode
Defend -> 2 AOE Fire/NE magic attacks; + 1 additional hit under Flame Cloak Mode

Paladin Cecil's Apocalypse [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 8 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, Sentinel, Burst Mode
Attack -> 3~5 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, number of hits is dependent on amount of attacks received
Defend -> 4 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, RES +100% to user

Edge's Kikuichimonji [USSB, +10 ATK] - 10 random Water/Lightning physical attacks
High Quick Cast 1 when using Water attacks, single-target Water/Lightning/NE physical attack when using Ninja abilities under Physical Blink (up to 2 hits with 2 Blinks)
(Showing off the new 5* Ninja ability that gets up to 4 hits if the user has Physical Blink stacks, for a grand total of 6 hits for USB Edge)

Rubicante himself is another Sage for IV.
Black 5, White 5, Darkness 5
Dagger/Fist/Rod/Staff
Hat/Robe/Light Armor/Bracer

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Schwartzcough posted:

So Dr. Mog Vol. 4 banner just got released in Japan. The banner itself has:
Cloud and Bartz' OSBs, Tidus, Shantotto, and WoL's BSBs, Celescalibur, Minfilia's boostga/guts, Serah's hastega+mag/mnd boost, Selphie's mblink medica, and SG

Then you get you choose one of the following BSBs!

Garland, Minwu, Cloud of Darkness, DK Cecil, Giglamesh, Edgar, Sephiroth1, Squall1, Garnet1, Auron, Prishe, Balthier, Lightning1, Thancred, and Ramza.

Some duds/outdated for sure, but some are still very competitive, like Gilgamesh, Sephiroth, Prishe, and Thancred. Too bad it's just a 1-time pull.

Dang. That's still a very good banner, especially for anyone who does CM's regularily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

lol did IV really need another sage?? That's a disappointing skillset.

• Locked thread