Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Yeaaaaaa. It was terrific

and A.R father sounds like Werner Herzog in Julien Donkey Boy

E:clip 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Kong was pretty good. Has some great movie monster moments and some pretty fantastic and beautiful imagery. Tom Hiddleston is a bit wasted but would make an awesome action hero lead. Brie Larson is great as always. John C Reilly steals it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You should look into getting this post published.

I wish my actual serious writing was more like this and less stiff and lifeless.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Thank u all, I'll see it with a crowd.
My local theater got renovated recently & shows tickets sold online so I can b sure it's the bigger screening.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
What city do you live in Hat Thoughts?

Think next week is a John Wick 2 and King Kong double header.

Raw is also supposed to come out here. Excited to see that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Gatts posted:

Kong was pretty good. Has some great movie monster moments and some pretty fantastic and beautiful imagery. Tom Hiddleston is a bit wasted but would make an awesome action hero lead. Brie Larson is great as always. John C Reilly steals it.

Hiddleston has a certain Michael Beihn-ish quality to him

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
O yea also on the topic of racism and wokeness. On set a CEO of a major printer and IT company said I looked like an ISIS terrorist because I have a beard ? *shrug*

All cool though cause it was a "joke"

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
God drat I forgot how good the Coen's True Grit is. Just stellar!

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I remember how much hype Hailee Steinfeld got because of that film then she kind of disappeared and now coming back.

She is really good in Edge of Seventeen.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hahah, the gently caress?

That's a pretty bad frame, but Ghost in the Shell: Arise, a reimagining that came out in 2015 and spawned "The New Movie"... is
well

not terrible

:downs:

:downsgun:

Like it's really terrible.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Death By The Blues posted:

What city do you live in Hat Thoughts?

Arcata, CA!!

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
SOUNDS SPOOKY

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

I remember how much hype Hailee Steinfeld got because of that film then she kind of disappeared and now coming back.

She is really good in Edge of Seventeen.

She's trying to be a pop star now. I've worked with her many times in her absence from the silver screen, she's a real sweetheart

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

It's very nice depending on how much you value natural beauty vs your tolerance for hippies & too many white ppl

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
How did you wind up in a city so small?

Yea too many white people can be scary. Or well am I the scary one, being ISIS and all.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

How did you wind up in a city so small?

Yea too many white people can be scary. Or well am I the scary one, being ISIS and all.

I grew up here and I'm young & I'm moving in the fall anyways.

Yeah it's interesting, I mean here the racism is mostly just the clueless liberal type (except in neighboring cities McKinleyville/Fortuna which are notoriously 'country'). But pretty much every dark skinned person who grew up here I know got out at some point. I have it better because I don't look dark but I totally get it, small town already makes you feel isolated & then it just compounds. There's Mexican, Asian and Native communities but beyond that it just suxx if ur looking around

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Where are you moving too?

I would say that I live in the most multicultural city in the world or one of them, but still experience lovely racism and prejudice.

Are you a minority?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Where are you moving too?

I would say that I live in the most multicultural city in the world or one of them, but still experience lovely racism and prejudice.

Are you a minority?
Not sure yet, still somewhere in California but it depends on, uh, stuff

I'm Black & Assyrian but somehow absolutely white passing. So I don't rly get asked the cool questions my parents do like, "Are you a terrorist?" - (the, thought process behind that 1...inexplicable...)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ruddiger posted:

One of my favorite passages of Blood Meridian is where they make gun powder by mixing their piss with sulfur.

Piss used to be very valuable for this reason, this lead to people collecting piss and digging for it where they knew people pissed a lot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

Piss used to be very valuable for this reason, this lead to people collecting piss and digging for it where they knew people pissed a lot.

They used it in dyeing tweed in England, so it warms my heart that there was a time that whenever it rained everyone wearing tweed would smell like piss.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

I'm Black & Assyrian but somehow absolutely white passing. So I don't rly get asked the cool questions my parents do like, "Are you a terrorist?" - (the, thought process behind that 1...inexplicable...)

How old are you? That is a cool combo. Yea the terrorist question is confusing. Still remember flying with Air El Al and them asking my 8 year old sister if she was a terrorist. Surreal times.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

They used it in dyeing tweed in England, so it warms my heart that there was a time that whenever it rained everyone wearing tweed would smell like piss.

They also used it to make their teeth white, so no matter the weather people used to smell like piss.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there no Kong thread? Kong is a fun and good movie and John C Reilly owns.

Holy poo poo the post credit teaser loving OWNED

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 10, 2017

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
is the post credits teaser 'the next film will be directed by gareth edwards'

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ungulateman posted:

is the post credits teaser 'the next film will be directed by gareth edwards'

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A collection of the numerous times Saoirse Ronan had to talk about her accent or how to pronounce her name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptaTm4f9vWc

One of the first blurays I bought was Hanna because I want to see how her eyes look in 1080p.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 10, 2017

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hat Thoughts posted:

"Why yes, yes I am. Oh snap!"

Maybe it's a rule of terrorism that if asked directly you have to be honest. Like if you ask someone if they're an undercover cop.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The MSJ posted:

A collection of the numerous times Saoirse Ronan had to talk about her accent or how to pronounce her name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptaTm4f9vWc

One of the first blurays I bought was Hanna because I want to see how her eyes look in 1080p.

And now I know how to pronounce her name!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Glamorama26 posted:

He thought the film was a form of "bullshit affirmative action" and thinks black people have it easy as hell and the film was just "whining", he was noticeably getting worked up over it. It was a bizarre almost public rage breakdown.

When you guys see Kong Skull Island ask him what he thought of the white washing of black/white race relations between American GIs during Vietnam and the decision to symbolize America's addiction to war with an African American officer who's only ever challenged by the white male protagonist (oh, and the young white soldier who turns on his SO near the climax).

Also, Kong was pretty good, but really fragmented. A couple of nice stand alone scenes but definitely following the current trend of "the next one is the REAL movie" comic book franchise blockbusters.

Also gently caress the Cubs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There is this piece of IMDB trivia (yeah, I know):
"Michael Keaton and J.K. Simmons were originally attached to the film, but both had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts. John C. Reilly took over Keaton's role while Samuel L. Jackson replaced Simmons."

I love me some J.K. Simmons and he's good at playing angry men in charge, but I can't imagine him coming close to the seething rage that Samuel L. Jackson embodies in this movie.

I didn't think that the friendship between Jason Mitchell and Shea Whigham's characters was that believable, but mostly because there is such a big age difference between the two, not so much because one is black and the other is white.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there no Kong thread? Kong is a fun and good movie and John C Reilly owns.

Holy poo poo the post credit teaser loving OWNED

I am sad that I missed it but on the other hand I had like two minutes between the start of the credits to take a leak, fill my water bottle and move towards a different room for Moonlight (not much double bill synergy there). I did listen to the music that plays over the teaser just now and it sounds promising. The title of the song is "Monster Mash" :v:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 10, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Also, Skull Island spoils its own end tag by putting the copyright of all the individually named Toho monsters that show up in it right at the tail end the credits so if you're reading the credits like I do, the punch of the tag gets undercut by it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They stopped right before the credits scene during my screening so they could do the boring QnA. Sorry but if you say no spoilers, i don't really care.

Made me quite angry despite how in love with the film I was. Oh well. Another excuse to see it again.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Grendels Dad posted:

And now I know how to pronounce her name!

I watched the video, but have already forgotten how she said it.
Eh, I'll just stick with Saw-rose.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

wyoming posted:

I watched the video, but have already forgotten how she said it.
Eh, I'll just stick with Saw-rose.

I think it was Shawshanks. Shawshanks Ronan.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
2016 catch-up status report - My personal ranking of the Bourne films for no reason whatsoever:

1-2) The Bourne Identity / The Bourne Ultimatum (tie)
3) The Bourne Legacy
4 - 5) The Bourne Supremacy / Jason Bourne (tie)
--- (bare minimum threshold of quality) ---
6) The Bourne Identity ('88)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Bourne Identity '88 is extraordinarily dull.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Bourne Identity '88 is extraordinarily dull.

It is only worth it for the brute address of Chamberlain playing that kind of TV-movie hero that has all the powers of a super-hitman but still looks like a total gump.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Glamorama26 posted:

Also, a co-worker I usually like fine gave the most horrific review of Get Out and now I feel awkward around him.

This is me when the one coworker who I can actually talk to about movies suddenly starts talking about how The Exorcist really happened or 9/11 was an inside job.

And also because I couldn't give a gently caress about Kong, can someone spoil the stinger for it? I just want to know which kaiju are going to be made incredibly boring next.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Raw is coming out in some places today. Please go see Raw. It is loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Yo KC peeps, Screenland Armour is showing the director's cut of Zodiac on March 25th.

• Locked thread